Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

O grady overated,i would not agree.

In 2003,he took over a cork team that was in dissarray,and won a munster and got to an all ireland.

He lost setanta in 2004.No one else would have got cocoran to come out of retirment,or the vison and bravery to play him as a full forward.

He also converted tom kenny in to a great midfielder and introduced an running game,alien to corks tradition,and the team took to it fast.

Limerick,in one year he done a fine job,unbeaten in the league ,won a div one play off, and brought in kevin downes who had a great season under him.

He took over a team,in a shambles,yet one year in,brought them on hughely.Yes their was aeras of the team he needed to fix, he would have if he stayed.

He would have started dowling and downes for a start.

Interestingly when limerick won the munster u21, mulchay and downes gave huge praise to o grady,and said they had learned so much under him at senior and that he gave them confidence to go for goals when they were on.

Mulchay hasnt been the same player since o grady left.

Some managers are just good man managers,tactially inept .

O grady was both, a man manager ,and a shrewd tactian.

O grady never complicated things,always focused on the basic skills and picks players suited to their posistions.One of the first things he done was tell brian cococoran he was holding the hurley all wrong.And as a full forward where space is a preumium,it is vital to have the basics mastered.

Allen never had that foresight,in fairness to him he was never a hurler, John,was a footballer ,first and foremost.

Cunnigham is a shrewd tactian,always learning new ways ,and focuses on the basic skills too.

A great man like o grady to see a talent ,thats raw,and develop it.

Seamus harnedy case in point.

He would also bring nicky quaid on to the next level,and win an all star as a keeper.

Quaid still is raw around the edges,cunnigham would improve him no end.

Cunnigham would also pick players on talent ,not clubs.

It would nt matter if their were from knockainey, hospital, na piarsaigh etc,talent is all that matters.

If limerick want an outside man ,cunnigham is the man.

O grady and sheedy would be fantastic,but would they be in it for the long haul.

Cork are unlikely to give him the job,when jbm goes,he wouldnt get the u21 job id say,so he has no reason not to take it if offered.

A short enough drive, and bar the bends at awbeg,a pretty good road too travelling wise.,espically in the winter.He would also be very impressed with the excellent facilties availble to him at Ul.

The best option for an outside coach at the moment.He knows the talent is in limerick.Ye at the very least can get to an all ireland final.

This appointment will make or break this team.

The latest I heard a while ago from my county board source* today is that DO'G is not too keen, but the CB want him to work with TJ Ryan second in command for 2014, with a view to TJ taking sole charge in 2015 for an initial two year term! Apparently they have now set their sights on Ger Cunningham, but haven't given up hope on DO'G.

*I'll just state that the last time I spoke to this person a week ago he told me that TJ on his own was a done deal- but that appears to have been not quite true!
    I heard , cunnigham was approached .I heard it from a player,with close connections to the cork scence.

If he is approached i couldnt c him turning it down.

It hards to know what to believe though.He would want cusack with him ,id say.

I also think o grady would recommend cunnigham ,and give him a good word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

The latest I heard a while ago from my county board source* today is that DO'G is not too keen, but the CB want him to work with TJ Ryan second in command for 2014, with a view to TJ taking sole charge in 2015 for an initial two year term! Apparently they have now set their sights on Ger Cunningham, but haven't given up hope on DO'G.

*I'll just state that the last time I spoke to this person a week ago he told me that TJ on his own was a done deal- but that appears to have been not quite true!

I'll be sick if TJ is involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

I'll be sick if TJ is involved

I still believe the guy is too unproven, but he has sway within the county board. Lets not forget, he got the under 21 job this time last year ahead of many better qualified candidates, he has some powerful friends!

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

I still believe the guy is too unproven, but he has sway within the county board. Lets not forget, he got the under 21 job this time last year ahead of many better qualified candidates, he has some powerful friends!

Who would have been the many better qualified candidates?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭peepee

Cunningham has a much more impressive cv than O'Grady. Other than the AI success in 2004 what else had O'Grady? Overrated?

What a stupid assessment

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Not sure what to make of the management rumours...

But on the club scene, Doon won the minor hurling for the 2nd year in a row, beating Na Piarsaigh. Both clubs have put serious work in at underage level in recent years, and with this group of players have been the two dominant teams from U-14 level up. Dean Coleman scored a late goal to edge this one for Doon.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/doon-retain-limerick-minor-hurling-title-1-5580519
    Scorers:

Doon: Dean Coleman 1-8 (0-3frees), Darragh O’Donovan 1-3 (1-1 lineball, 0-2frees), Jack Hayes, Barry Murphy (1free) 0-2 each, Tadhg Whelan, Pat Ryan 0-1 each.

Na Piarsaigh: Ronan Lynch 0-11 (all frees), David Dempsey 0-4, Dylan Cronin 1-1, Conor Boylan, Kieran Daly 0-1 each.

DOON - Eoghan McNamara; Thomas Hayes, Stephen Ryan, Jamie Hueston; Jack Cummins, Richie English, Patrick Cummins; Shane O’Connell, Darragh O’Donovan; Pat Ryan, Jack Hayes (capt), Barry Murphy; Brian McPartland, Dean Coleman, Tadhg Whelan.

Subs: Mark Coleman for Hueston (47mins).

NA PIARSAIGH - Jack Ryan; Peader Collins, Michael Casey, Michael Andrews; Evan O’Brien, Conor Houlihan, Gordan Brown; Josh O’Halloran, Ronan Lynch; Dylan Cronin, David Demosey, Thomas Grimes; Conor Boylan, Kieran Dally, Peter Casey.

Subs: David Broderick for O’Brien (h-t).

Congrats to Dromin-Athlacca on their 2-18 to 1-15 victory over Knockaderry in the Intermediate final. Unfortunately they get no real reward as the restructuring ensures they will not be promoted.

The county cup semi final losers (Murroe-Boher and Effin) should have been made contest a relegation play-off, with the loser having to play the intermediate champions in a promotion/relegation play off to determine who takes the 12th and final place in next years senior championship.

So next years Senior Hurling championship teams; Adare, Ahane, Ballybrown, Doon, Effin, Granagh-Ballingarry, Kilmallock, Knockainey, Murroe-Boher, Na Piarsaigh, Patrickswell, South Liberties.

Premier Intermediate Championship; Blackrock, Bruff, Bruree, Croom, Dromin-Athlacca, Garryspillane, Hospital-Herbertstown, Knockaderry.

Intermediate; Caherline, Cappamore, Claughaun, Glenroe, Kildimo-Pallaskenry, Killeedy, Monaleen, Mungret-St.Pauls, Newcastlewest, Pallasgreen, St.Kierans, Junior Champions; (one of Castletown-Ballyagran, Feenagh-Kilmeedy, Feohanagh, Kilteely-Dromkeen)

I'm looking forward to the Premier Intermediate championship, a very interesting format in that competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

Am told that TJ wont be involved now if rumours are right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Knockainey would be about 1000/1 to win that next year.

Even though i liked the 16 team division, i think this is an improvement, it will give more competitive matches, less mismatches a la this years QF's. The premier intermediate looks good too- id go out of my way to see some of those matches knowing that the quality of hurling should be reasonable.

If the TJ is not involved who is? I'm hanging here.

• Advertisement

Knockainey would be about 1000/1 to win that next year.

Even though i liked the 16 team division, i think this is an improvement, it will give more competitive matches, less mismatches a la this years QF's. The premier intermediate looks good too- id go out of my way to see some of those matches knowing that the quality of hurling should be reasonable.

If the TJ is not involved who is? I'm hanging here.

From what I've heard Donal O'Grady is out, TJ in sole charge deosn't have the required support, and Ger Cunningham is now the most likely. But to be honest I don't think they're at all close to hiring anyone, normally there are solid rumours leading up to an appointment that turn out to be true. This time it's just pure speculation all round. It would appear Sheedy was choice #1 and O'Grady was choice #2, but they both turned it down!

SHC won't be any more competitive next year in my opinion. We'll still have Na Piarsaigh and Kilmallock way out ahead of the rest, Adare are capable of matching those two but I've a feeling they will slip back a bit, hopefully Doon can push on from next year, and Patrickswell have the beating of anyone on their day but don't yet have the quality/experience to sustain that over a full season.

The other 7 teams are just fighting to remain senior in my opinion, certainly no one else capable of matching Na Piarsaigh or Kilmallock. A flaw of next seasons championship is the 6th placed teams in both groups are automatically relegated, hopefully the draw doesn't throw up lopsided groups. There should be two play offs where 5th plays 6th in the opposite group and vice versa.

It's good that there will now be two teams relegated and promoted between grades now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Presume Sheedy has turned it down, it was there for him if he wanted it. Probably O'Grady the same. Kiely ruled himself out. The main candidates gone they'll have to dig a bit deeper and probably line up a few interviews which have yet to happen.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=202891

4 home games in the football league, a bit of a boost, hopefully we don't get relegated again. It does seem to be a very even league, I doubt there'll be much difference between the teams who get promoted and those who go down.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=202891

4 home games in the football league, a bit of a boost, hopefully we don't get relegated again. It does seem to be a very even league, I doubt there'll be much difference between the teams who get promoted and those who go down.

Hopefully it won't be like our last stint in D3, win 3 games and still get relegated :pac:

Hopefully it won't be like our last stint in D3, win 3 games and still get relegated :pac:

Hopefully not.... I thought we were dreadfully unlucky that year, we were as good as either team that got promoted.

However, I'd fear for us next year...think we're not as good as the team back then, and still without a manager.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Hopefully not.... I thought we were dreadfully unlucky that year, we were as good as either team that got promoted.

However, I'd fear for us next year...think we're not as good as the team back then, and still without a manager.

I was at the Westmeath game over in Newcastlewest in that league campaign, I was raging at full time at the teams inability to beat a 12 man Westmeath side! Actually, unless I'm mistaken, I think we were relegated in 2008 or 2009 again after winning three games! Division 3 hasn't been kind to us :P

Agreed on your outlook for next year, 6th place would be a good campaign in my opinion, and four home games will only help help us achieve that. We badly need to introduce a few new young players, but we can't afford to experiment in the league either, otherwise we'll be back in D4 in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Is this Ger Cunningham the former Cork goalie or is there two of them?

Browney7 wrote: »
    Is this Ger Cunningham the former Cork goalie or is there two of them?
    Thats him.Current cork senior,overlooked for the u21 job in cork tuesday night.

The main contender I hear.Donal og cusack meant to be going with him.

If that did happen , do not be suprised to see Patsy Morrisey formerly of Ul,retired , brought in.Just over the road in Newtown,he knows Limerick hurling very well and i think he was involved with kilmallock before.

Very Good mates with Cunningham.

The limerick cunnigham is gone to Laois.

There are two of them. But it's the former Cork goalie we are being linked with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Thats him.Current cork senior,overlooked for the u21 job in cork tuesday night.

The main contender I hear.Donal og cusack meant to be going with him.

If that did happen , do not be suprised to see Patsy Morrisey formerly of Ul,retired , brought in.Just over the road in Newtown,he knows Limerick hurling very well and i think he was involved with kilmallock before.

Very Good mates with Cunningham.

The limerick cunnigham is gone to Laois.

...what? Ger Cunningham from the Barrs wasn't being considered for the U-21 job.

• Advertisement

Orizio wrote: »
    ...what? Ger Cunningham from the Barrs wasn't being considered for the U-21 job.
    Is that not my point?

I said overlooked for the job.He wasnt even considered and he would have loved that job.Thats not exactly a suprise is it ?

Its well known he wants to coach an intercounty team.Many counties have the senior selector with their u 21 team.

When you see who got it instead,he must know jobs in cork dont go on merit.

But sure he knows that since 2006.

I hope he goes to limerick .A top top coach,and be awful to c hes talent wasted.

I said overlooked for the job.He wasnt even considered and he would have loved that job.Thats not exactly a suprise is it ?

...your basis for this is what exactly? He coaches the AI runner ups, why would he want to manage an U-21 team with little to no talent?

Orizio wrote: »
    ...your basis for this is what exactly? He coaches the AI runner ups, why would he want to manage an U-21 team with little to no talent?

The great coaches dont pick and choose on talent alone.Thanks be the jesus your view is not in the coaching manual.Good coaches,take over a team,get every last inch out of them,make teams better than they are.
    Jbm could have had the same view with the seniors.Thanks be to god,its different to yours.When he took over the senior team they were in the same place as the u21team now,and senior is harder.He didnt give a damn then.They worked with what they got and made it better.

How can u say there is no talent in cork.Loads talent in cork,you havent got a clue or dnt go many games,due respect say that.

The problem is poor coaches playing minors out of positon ,the same at u21 and not picking the right players.

Jbm has worked wonders with u21 players that were awful at u21.ten of the starting team in 2010 against waterford are on the senior team.

If we all followed your template ,jim mcguiness,,liam griffin,etc would nt taken over teams based on talent availble when they took over.

A forward line ,pa callaghan,mark sugrue, cadogan,trevor horgan, michael cahalane, and other players like colm spillane,pa herihly,patrick collins,stephen murphy,killan o connor,connor twomey etc,if coached properly can at least hold their own.

Rubbish to say talent is not there.To me its a lazy criticism that people like to cling on ,and blame ,rather than look at the hard facts,accept,realise and change the management in cork.

Cleary took over the u21 footballers ,the same bunch,dont forget couldnt win a game under Diarmuid O Donovan as a minor manager.You could of said in 2006 etc Cork u21 football team and from 2007 was a poisoned chalice based on the minor results but it was not.

Do you think there was no talent at minor level last two years.?

Of course their was,but we had a manager who had not a clue ,and the team were a shambles.That same talent is their,but Cork wont win anything for the next two years at u21 based on what he done as a minor coach.

Tony leahy then cleary transformed them from indivudals with raw ,talents as individuals to a team that played as a team,and players improved no end.

You want to continue the debate,id be happy to do so on the Cork thread.

Anyway....:P

County senior and Intermediate football finals this weekend.

Monaleen v Drom-Broadford on Sunday at 3.30 preceded by the minor final at 1.45 between Newcastlewest and Fr.Caseys, in Newcastlewest. Personally I'm glad the games will be held there instead of an empty Gaelic Grounds, was a good atmosphere there for the 2010 decider.

Boring trivia; Between them, Drom-B and Monaleen have won 10 of the last 12 county finals, make that 11 out of 13 after Sunday.

And Rathkeale (Seán Finns) v Oola in Bruff tomorrow at 2.

In Echo tonight ,it says Cunnigham is set to be the next limerick manager.

I wouldnt believe everything i read,but i did hear it two wks ago ,and heard it tonight in Cork.He has been offered the job.

Id be amazed if he turned it down.

He was in ul yesterday ,with UCC fresher team.

The great coaches dont pick and choose on talent alone.Thanks be the jesus your view is not in the coaching manual.Good coaches,take over a team,get every last inch out of them,make teams better than they are.
    Jbm could have had the same view with the seniors.Thanks be to god,its different to yours.When he took over the senior team they were in the same place as the u21team now,and senior is harder.He didnt give a damn then.They worked with what they got and made it better.

How can u say there is no talent in cork.Loads talent in cork,you havent got a clue or dnt go many games,due respect say that.

The problem is poor coaches playing minors out of positon ,the same at u21 and not picking the right players.

Jbm has worked wonders with u21 players that were awful at u21.ten of the starting team in 2010 against waterford are on the senior team.

If we all followed your template ,jim mcguiness,,liam griffin,etc would nt taken over teams based on talent availble when they took over.

A forward line ,pa callaghan,mark sugrue, cadogan,trevor horgan, michael cahalane, and other players like colm spillane,pa herihly,patrick collins,stephen murphy,killan o connor,connor twomey etc,if coached properly can at least hold their own.

Rubbish to say talent is not there.To me its a lazy criticism that people like to cling on ,and blame ,rather than look at the hard facts,accept,realise and change the management in cork.

Cleary took over the u21 footballers ,the same bunch,dont forget couldnt win a game under Diarmuid O Donovan as a minor manager.You could of said in 2006 etc Cork u21 football team and from 2007 was a poisoned chalice based on the minor results but it was not.

Do you think there was no talent at minor level last two years.?

Of course their was,but we had a manager who had not a clue ,and the team were a shambles.That same talent is their,but Cork wont win anything for the next two years at u21 based on what he done as a minor coach.

Tony leahy then cleary transformed them from indivudals with raw ,talents as individuals to a team that played as a team,and players improved no end.

You want to continue the debate,id be happy to do so on the Cork thread.

No offence but the vast majority of lads you mentioned won't be anywhere near senior inter-county standard. Pa O'Callaghan is the only lad we can expect to make it from the players you mentioned. Club hurling in Cork is mediocre at best and two of our last three Minor teams were awful. And I typically go to 60 plus hurling club games a year.

Anyway absolutely none of this means Ger Cunningham had the slightest bit of interest in the Cork U-21 job this year. Unless you have some kind of proof backing up what you said regarding this point, there is nothing to discuss - Ger Cunningham was passed over for the senior job certainly, but not the U-21 one.

Anyway.....:mad::P

Back to Limerick matters, congrats to Rathkeale on their comprehensive victory today in the intermediate final. They came close last year, and they were a class above everyone else in the Intermediate football championship this year. They have made serious progress in recent years, and they also competed quite well in the All County Senior Football league, currently sitting top of the group. (The B group, but still.)

Good to see a town of that size have a senior club in one of the codes, and they'll be quite strong in next years senior championship in my opinion.

Anyway.....:mad::P

Back to Limerick matters, congrats to Rathkeale on their comprehensive victory today in the intermediate final. They came close last year, and they were a class above everyone else in the Intermediate football championship this year. They have made serious progress in recent years, and they also competed quite well in the All County Senior Football league, currently sitting top of the group. (The B group, but still.)

Good to see a town of that size have a senior club in one of the codes, and they'll be quite strong in next years senior championship in my opinion.

Couple of players to join the senior panel? Lot of people raving about Paul White.

John Brudair is set to be appointed Limerick Senior Football manager as touted by some in the past couple of weeks. Good call there!

http://www.hoganstand.com/Limerick/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=202506

Was involved with Drom/Broadford in 2008 and 2009, as they won the Munster title. Been with Charleville hurlers recently.

He's a highly-regarded coach but I don't know if he's going to be able to perform miracles and produce performances next season. Getting some of the old guard to stay on would be a big boost, but we need to start producing young footballers of the required standard.

• Advertisement

While I feel Brudair is a good appointment, I'm a little worried about what this might mean for Limerick's playing style :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement