Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Wasn't great to watch under Horan either..... I don't mind defensive setups, as long as when you get the ball you move it forward quickly. In fact, it's the only way to break down teams as far as I can see.

This year we were way too slow bringing the ball forward, meaning our forwards were always outnumbered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 piplin

ffs those **** had better hurry up and put a Limerick man in charge fairly ****ing soon. A ****ing jokeshop shower of pricks they haven't done it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Rumours in cork that its cunningham (though in fairness that could have come from someone reading boards or another forum for all i know)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

Yep, Cunningham rumours are gathering a little bit of momentum, will probably happen, there's not even a hint of anyone else being linked right now.

Not really sure how to feel about his potential appointment, he is rated highly in Cork but I can't help but feel the county board are a bit obsessed with continuity based on Cork from 2003-06.

O'Grady steps down? Let's just pick the guy who succeeded him after 2004.
    Allen steps down? Let's try and get O'Grady again.
    O'Grady not interested? Let's pick the man who served as a selector/coach for O'Grady and Allen from 03-06.

Yeah, certainly looks like there's an aversion to giving it to a limerick man. I think cunningham might be good as a coach, but can he manage? Honestly i dont know.

How come frank never gave him the big gig, too cosy with Donal og/GPA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Grats

What is the attraction to so many Cork managers?

What's Leo O'Connor doing at present?

When O'Grady was appointed for 2011 he was assigned TJ Ryan, Ciaran Carey and Pat Heffernan as selectors with the expectation that he would serve a one year term only and that one of the three selectors would take over for 2012 after having learned the ropes under O'Grady. Now that was never the official line, but it was widely understood and accepted at the time.

Why are they not even being considered? (TJ was considered, but only as a number 2 under someone more experienced)

Gary Kirby gained valuable experience under Bennis from 2006-08, should he be considered?

Other members of the 1990's teams that come to mind are Joe Quaid (who has experience, just not at senior level) and Stephen McDonagh strikes me as an outside chance.

I know all the names I have listed above can be charged with lacking the necessary experience. But Tom Ryan had pretty much no inter county managerial experience when he was hired but he did have good experience in charge of Ballybrown, which brings us to another issue....

Our senior (and intermediate) clubs need to stop hiring managers from outside the county! The senior championship has been won by Clare managers since 2005! And I'm not sure who was in charge of Ahane in 2004, I can't say for sure it was a Limerick man. We need to start developing our own managerial talent!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Yeah, certainly looks like there's an aversion to giving it to a limerick man. I think cunningham might be good as a coach, but can he manage? Honestly i dont know.

How come frank never gave him the big gig, too cosy with Donal og/GPA?

I heard the cunnigham rumour at a harty cup in mallow ,the old north mon v castletroy two weeks ago ,from a good scource.

I have also heard it the last two weeks from two prominent club men.

Anyone that is snubbed by cork should be given a ringing endoresment,and straight away it means their top coaches,as if cork snubs you can take it,their not yes men,will want the teams prepared at no expense spared ,and will always listen to players demand.

When tomas o se retired he said the reason kerry were so successful ,was they had a board that listened and once players demands were reasonable they would be met,and that certainly helped them no end.

Ger cunnigham was not just close to cusack but all the players.He always fought their cause ,and once o grady and allen went ,the board didnt forget.

Cunnigham and patsy morrisey werent even interviewed for the job in 2006.

I would take it with a pinch of salt,if anyone thinks cunnigham wasnt given the job as he wasnt good enough.

When you see the brains trust that have been minor and u21 managers in Cork since compared to cunnigham it tells it has nothing to do with talent in cork.

Honestly ,if Ger c ,is the new man ,go down to ul or Gaelic grounds and watch hes coaching drills.Judge him then.

Their all about pace,basic skills,and pure hurling,but everything is done at pace.You really have to witness them to realise how good they are.

He was in Ballygunner and highly rated.He is well capable of managing.He is fortright in hes views and had a few difference of opinion with jbm,but at the same time it shows he is able to put differences aside for the greater good of a team.He does not do grudges but at the same time will speak he's opinion.

Cunnigham would bring in a great team with him.I don't think it would be a case of limerick just following a trend,with another cork man,jurt that ger c,is the best man available ,outside of sheedy now and they would be mad not to pursue him.

He has also coached a possession game under o grady,and now a game built around speed and width ,and fast hurling with the current team.

He can coach any style to suit a teams talent.

Have no fear at all if he does become the manager.Ye were poor enough last year ,with players played out of position,and two of the best forwards in the country wasted on the bench,and ye won a munster.

Next year ye have a manager that will play downes and mulchay ,plays guys in positions that play to their strengths and ye will like every team he coached move up a level.He is fantastic to develop young players.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

What's Leo O'Connor doing at present?

When O'Grady was appointed for 2011 he was assigned TJ Ryan, Ciaran Carey and Pat Heffernan as selectors with the expectation that he would serve a one year term only and that one of the three selectors would take over for 2012 after having learned the ropes under O'Grady. Now that was never the official line, but it was widely understood and accepted at the time.

Why are they not even being considered? (TJ was considered, but only as a number 2 under someone more experienced)

Gary Kirby gained valuable experience under Bennis from 2006-08, should he be considered?

Other members of the 1990's teams that come to mind are Joe Quaid (who has experience, just not at senior level) and Stephen McDonagh strikes me as an outside chance.

I know all the names I have listed above can be charged with lacking the necessary experience. But Tom Ryan had pretty much no inter county managerial experience when he was hired but he did have good experience in charge of Ballybrown, which brings us to another issue....

Our senior (and intermediate) clubs need to stop hiring managers from outside the county! The senior championship has been won by Clare managers since 2005! And I'm not sure who was in charge of Ahane in 2004, I can't say for sure it was a Limerick man. We need to start developing our own managerial talent!
    Whatever O'Connor is doing for the love of god leave him there. Not an option.

No idea where Heffernan is (anyone?). Carey may have blotted his copybook when he left but I think would like to be involved again. He should be brought back in with one of the teams if he is interested, he has a lot to offer, maybe even intermediate manager. TJ did not do well with what on paper looked like a very decent 21s panel this year. Maybe he can still learn enough to step up so having him as selector again may be worthwhile.

I thought Kirby had a lot of input with Bennis, whether he'd be up to the tactics of now I don't know. 08 was a very disappointing season after the highs of 07.

Quaid got the camogie team to the intermediate final this year but I would not give him much credit for that, I don't think he actually did a great job with them, I wouldn't let him near the 21s or senior job. Don't know whether McDonagh has experience. Hegarty is managing but don't think he is a contender for a Limerick position.

True about the clubs, the top 3 clubs of the last 10 years or so Adare, Kilmallock and Na P, all have had Clare managers. Adare have Dave Keane back and maybe he could have another shot but seeing Adare in the final this year and Hannon stuck inside full forward you'd have doubts.

Bit of a negative post there but just highlights lack of contenders from within the county. Kinnerk has done wonders in Clare and maybe we can poach him back some day. Ollie Moran was a 21s selector last year and again should be kept involved with teams. Niall Moran is probably not popular with the county board but has done great work with Ardscoil and should snapped up to get involved with an underage team immediately.

Thinkstoomuch are you confusing Ger Cunningham of UL and Ger Cunningham Cork selector? I thought it was the current Cork selector being talked about.

Whatever O'Connor is doing for the love of god leave him there. Not an option.

No idea where Heffernan is (anyone?). Carey may have blotted his copybook when he left but I think would like to be involved again. He should be brought back in with one of the teams if he is interested, he has a lot to offer, maybe even intermediate manager. TJ did not do well with what on paper looked like a very decent 21s panel this year. Maybe he can still learn enough to step up so having him as selector again may be worthwhile.

I thought Kirby had a lot of input with Bennis, whether he'd be up to the tactics of now I don't know. 08 was a very disappointing season after the highs of 07.

Quaid got the camogie team to the intermediate final this year but I would not give him much credit for that, I don't think he actually did a great job with them, I wouldn't let him near the 21s or senior job. Don't know whether McDonagh has experience. Hegarty is managing but don't think he is a contender for a Limerick position.

True about the clubs, the top 3 clubs of the last 10 years or so Adare, Kilmallock and Na P, all have had Clare managers. Adare have Dave Keane back and maybe he could have another shot but seeing Adare in the final this year and Hannon stuck inside full forward you'd have doubts.

Bit of a negative post there but just highlights lack of contenders from within the county. Kinnerk has done wonders in Clare and maybe we can poach him back some day. Ollie Moran was a 21s selector last year and again should be kept involved with teams. Niall Moran is probably not popular with the county board but has done great work with Ardscoil and should snapped up to get involved with an underage team immediately.

Thinkstoomuch are you confusing Ger Cunningham of UL and Ger Cunningham Cork selector? I thought it was the current Cork selector being talked about.

Thats who i am talking about , our Cork man.Not confusing him with hes namesake , who was formerly ul,newtownshandrum,waterford and now laois.
    Ger C from St finbarrs and now Cork was with Ballygunner bout four years ago.

Ger C of UL is with laois ,was with waterford last year ,but committed to laois.

Sheedy is i presume out of the picture.speaking of sheedy i heard today he was involved with newmarket on fergus of clare last year and this year.I never knew that.

• Advertisement

When John Allen took over Limerick, any suggestion that he was overrated was denounced. Similarly with Donal O'Grady. I do think that Ger C has a better cv but wonder if he's been over hyped?

Grats wrote: »
    When John Allen took over Limerick, any suggestion that he was overrated was denounced. Similarly with Donal O'Grady. I do think that Ger C has a better cv but wonder if he's been over hyped?

That depends who you asked in all honesty.You c,critics must look at something at every angle,and face value.

John Allen was superb for players welfare,keep things ticking over,and man management.But just because he was on the players side in strikes should not blind people,but it has done that to a lot of cork supporters,to hes repeated tactical failures with limerick and cork.I was behind the players in the strikes and commend Allen for hes superb support,but that in my eyes wont make him immune to criticism where due.
    This and the fact he won one all ireland,people think he is a great manager.

He ticks certain boxes but falls short in many other aeras.He tends to talk the talk a lot.Never a good sign either,the most astute men,like Davy,Jbm,Cody rarely talk in depth bout tactics.Allen on the Wednesday of the Clare match,practially told all and sundry how Galway could have beaten clare and tactically how limerick would.

A shut mouth catches no flies.

You want a manager to organise weeknds away at training camps,sports physcology,buses ,food after,logistics,medical welfare etc, Allen is second to none.No complaints.

He brought in frank flannery ,sports physcologist Cork and Juileanne Mccauliffe with limerick.

He was afraid hunger would affect cork in 2006 ,so he made a fantastic call in bringing Roy Keane to training ,to tell how hunger was not a problem for man utd.

He brought in the mantra with the blood and bandage ,to fight for every ball.

That he deserves credit for.The cork players as a man manager said he was brillant.He was.

But their is many a cork fan ,that have always questioned hes tactical abiltity,the ability to be mindful in a game,hence live in the moment,react to whats happening,have a view to change things and not be one dimenshal,and not be stuck in the mindset ,don't change whats not broken even if a blind man can see the cracks,or of the view this approach got us this far why change now.A manager must be able to read and adapt to a games flow.

Allen said he wanted the players to play what was in front of them.The least the players can hope is a manager reacts to what he sees in front of him on the field.

Great men,evolve with circumstance.
    And the truly great managers inspire their team to be better than they actually are.

That applies to jbm,and cunnigham who inspired a injury ridden, a team with no real expierence,a team suffocated by failure at underage,missing key players at key times,to over achieve this year.
    They inspired their team to be better than they were.
    The teams Allen had were expected to win in 2005,but stumbled along.

The same with Counihan,such a team ladened with real talent underachieved ,and failed to win in killarney in his terms,and stumbled to win an all ireland we should have walked.

With limerick Allen had a team good enough to win two div 2 finals but failed,and had a team ,that should of put cork to bed rather than cork running out of steam,and should of at the very least been competitve against Clare.

I have posted since Jan,i have not rated him tactially, and said that in cork he was overated.If you were to speak to other cork fans that are not blinded by newspaper hype ,they will tell you the same.
    Allen in the cork team he coached took over a style rather than implement one.

He did change limerick style but then did not play two ball winners who could score who were crucial to the basics of it.

Cunnigham rarely talks to the media,very rarely spoke with cork in 2003-2006 or this year.He gives nothing away .

He as coach took over two cork teams that were building from scratch and implemented the styles he was asked to do.

With UCC,he has dominated the freshers competition.

He also went to Ballygunner and brought them to a munster club,that were beaten by Newtown in 2009.

Paul Flynn once said in reference to Cunnigham that a great manager does not just organise a bus and sandwiches after a game.

But Cunnigham brings a cohesion,a purpose to every training session,everything is organised,no waiting between drills,but everything is done at pace,and tempo.

I have seen hes coaching.

Cunnigham does not get much media attention.He does not need it,anyone involved in hurling knows he is top notch.
    A man that makes little noise about hes coaching methods,are always the shrewd men.

Davy says very little about hes methods til after he has won.You tend to listen to a manager that has a history to back it up.Davy does,credit to him.

To this day,i can guarantee you ,their is a reporter that would still write articles saying Allen and counihan are great managers,and tend to be loyal to them.

Yes cork should be grateful to both men,we won one All Ireland that we were expected to win with the teams we had,but to over hype them as great managers is a bit much to put them along the likes of Great managers,like Cody,Boylan,Micko,Mickey Harte ,O Grady,Bertie Troy etc.

Cork though tend to overhype their own,the media especially do it.
    They over hyped these managers hughely.

That does not mean its correct though.

Cunnigham loves cork ,and would love to coach them.In any other county he would have been coach by now.

He wont be a coach of cork.

Donal o grady and jbm are two outstanding coaches that wanted cunnigham ,as they knew he was top man.

More so JBM,he made it clear to the board he wanted hes own men, and went straight for Cunnigham.

The fact JBM is one of the most astute hurling men around,and amongst the greatest managers ever,brought him in should say it all.

Cunnigham is not over hyped but unappreciated by some of the powers to be in Cork.

thinkstoomuch1 - fair play - very insightful reply - nothing to add.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

What is the attraction to so many Cork managers?[/

Its beause we are so ****ing unbelievably great, and, ya know, we're from Cork! :O
    To be honest I think the LCC the the grass is greener over the borders of their own county and don't trust yer own. Totally wrong of coarse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

No idea where Heffernan is (anyone?)

Still knocking them in for his club (at 43) :D

https://www.facebook.com/blackrockgaa/posts/10151722699372399

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Sheedy is i presume out of the picture.speaking of sheedy i heard today he was involved with newmarket on fergus of clare last year and this year.I never knew that.

Not sure about this year but I know last year his involvement was very limited, only took them for 3 or 4 training sessions and was at a few games - his main role last year was his native Portroe in Tipp where they won their first North Senior Final in the clubs history.

Not sure about this year but I know last year his involvement was very limited, only took them for 3 or 4 training sessions and was at a few games - his main role last year was his native Portroe in Tipp where they won their first North Senior Final in the clubs history.
    I think it's something like that he's only involved with NoF as an advisor as opposed to an official full member of the coaching staff.

He was a consultant or advisor to at least three different clubs last year, and I think all reached or won their county finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

He was a consultant or advisor to at least three different clubs last year, and I think all reached or won their county finals.

He has a bit of a midas touch alright, if the players are willing to buy into it he is an asset to any team, funnily enough alot of players I know that have worked with him though would question he's ability to 'read' a game during a match and he often looses the run of himself on the sideline but all would sign his praises when it comes to man management, motivational skills and coaching ability, I think thats why himself and Eamonn O'Shea were such a good combination.

He has a bit of a midas touch alright, if the players are willing to buy into it he is an asset to any team, funnily enough alot of players I know that have worked with him though would question he's ability to 'read' a game during a match and he often looses the run of himself on the sideline but all would sign his praises when it comes to man management, motivational skills and coaching ability, I think thats why himself and Eamonn O'Shea were such a good combination.
    Reckon he'd have been perfect for us to be honest, would definitely have made more of our attacking. Ah well, the fact that we're taking a good time about appointing someone suggests we're putting the time into finding the best available candidate.

• Advertisement

Wondering about getting a season ticket, trying to weigh up whether it'd be better to get one for football or hurling..... any Limerick people here have one last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭bennyl10

How long is ot Season ticks usually sell out/..
    Want one this,year but wont have money until end of the month :/

A superb manager.

He is down in Mallow in Cork,on the 9th of Nov,doing a coaching workshop.

I wonder could we have got him on as an "advisor" for Limerick, or would a new manager resent that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Any word on a Limerick manager yet?County champions crowned and nearly november

sasta le wrote: »
    Any word on a Limerick manager yet?County champions crowned and nearly november

Seems like it's Ger Cunningham (of Cork).... with Donal Og among his backroom team.

Nothing confirmed yet, but it sounds like it's done, from what I've heard.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Seems like it's Ger Cunningham (of Cork).... with Donal Og among his backroom team.

Nothing confirmed yet, but it sounds like it's done, from what I've heard.

Fine with Cunningham tbh.

Any else think Donal og is a bit of a spoofer, from what i saw of his contributions on the sunday game i wasnt impressed. Cunningham himself was an outstanding keeper. Would prefer a few limerick selectors tbh.

Any else think Donal og is a bit of a spoofer, from what i saw of his contributions on the sunday game i wasnt impressed. Cunningham himself was an outstanding keeper. Would prefer a few limerick selectors tbh.

I agree. When he appeared on tv first he came across ok but the more I listened to him the less he impressed me. Think Limerick would be better off without him on board. As I said previously - recent Limerick managers have been overrated - Limerick still in 1B - and I would put Cusack in the same category. What exactly has he achieved as a coach/mentor? Talking is very much different to action. Too many are being over hyped because they're good "talkers". I would include Cusack and O'Grady. None of these men, or Sheedy, were linked with any other county - why? - was it because the bank balances are low?

Stick to Limerick men who want to get involved for the right reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭flutered

I agree. When he appeared on tv first he came across ok but the more I listened to him the less he impressed me. Think Limerick would be better off without him on board. As I said previously - recent Limerick managers have been overrated - Limerick still in 1B - and I would put Cusack in the same category. What exactly has he achieved as a coach/mentor? Talking is very much different to action. Too many are being over hyped because they're good "talkers". I would include Cusack and O'Grady. None of these men, or Sheedy, were linked with any other county - why? - was it because the bank balances are low?

Stick to Limerick men who want to get involved for the right reasons.
    the last line of your post describes why limerick hurling is where it is, one hires a coach for the same reason one hires a factory manager, a consultant accountant, one cannot achive results by hireing someone whos heart is in the job but whos qualifications cannot meet his expecations, why have so many clare men got jobs with limerick clubs, i wrote back in the day that limerick should not have allowed davey f to go past the tipp road roundabout when he got the waterford job, his work with lit was good enough to get him the limerick job, look back to richie bennis, in the simi final against kilkennney what was he doing, turning around to the croud behind him trying to get them to roar louder, the country and county is full of managers and coaches, how many have been constantly attending coaching courses, how many do they attend each year, how many are asked to give such courses, look across at the english premiership, there was only so many coaches there, it was a merry go around, fail at one club, get a job after six or eight months break, start again, now the mould has been broken, as they are coming in from the continent, ah enough ranting and rambling for now.

• Advertisement

Valid concerns with Cusack,as people do regard him as that and a self publicist with always an answer for something.

But i geuinley do belief he knows he stuff.He will appreciate players demands,will push them to their limits and wont ask anyone do anything he has not done himself.

Whatever people view of the field,on the field he is widely respected,a young coach,very much in tune modern ways ,and an avid thinker of the game.

Has been coaching cloyne for over ten years while playing,got them to 3 county finals in a row,a limited team.

He two years ago understood where the game was heading,and was one of the few that spoke out that said to beat kk,you could not go with popular thought and beat them at their style,the new champions would have to change the game with a new way,built around speed and movement..
    He went against what the so many experts and status quo said.He had a vison on how the game was moving forward.

He was right.I thought on the Sunday game he was superb,the part on showing Shefflins work of the ball at puckouts and also on Lee Chins awarenss of space.

Cusack will bring a strong work ethic to the team .

Their is a lot of managers that are overhyped and spoofed in the media because they have a high profile,and sell papers.And at first glance you think Cusack fits that bill,but when you go deeper,and c whats hes achieved on the field of play,of it,he really walks the walk,than just talk the talk,and is a great hurling man.

He was brought on board as a committe member in Abbostown Dublin as part of sports campus ireland,overseeing many projects last year.A great communicator.

He is on the hurling rules commitee with donal og grady and frank murphy .
    He still has the alley bar,i think.

Just because people dont always like what they hear they loose sight of this.
    Donal Og was the one that created the hurling 11 the game played in USA saturday before an american football game between martin fogartys leinster and donal o gradys Munster (with mostly limerick men)

He is always creating a bigger profile for the game.

He understands conflict,knows how to deal with it,after three strikes in cork.

A lot of people dnt regard him over hes role in that.But its fair to say that events in cork hurling since then have vindicated Most of what he and others stood for and who they went against.
    To this day the some of the same problems exist in cork,and rather than be up their leading the way were playing catch up.

He will never get a job in cork,it has nothing to do with coaching credentials.

He with cunnigham would be a great teacher for quaid.Expect quaid to remain in goals but win an all star,even with nash and egan and ray barry around for a long time.

People judged Davy fitz caused he was loud,abrasive at times ,and always giving out,they thought.They did not give the man credit for what he was within,never saw beneath that front,maybe they just did not want to look.

People make the same mistake with Cusack .People often judge people from the outside in.Id prefer to judge someone from the inside out.

Cusack is astute,intelligent,and innovate and would compliment cunnigham.They would both challenge each other,but at the same time know when to draw the line,cause like in any working relationship you Must have mutal respect.

This does,as cusack holds Ger in the highest regard considering he mentored him for years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement