Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

If the target is the AI then Tipp is ok, win or lose it won't be an overhyped game and its a case of just moving on win or lose.

Happy to steer clear of Clare and all the hype that comes with it, especially if the target is the AI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

No game in munster would be easy next year, we've a 50-50 chance v tipp (if we get a good manager)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Sick of playing them though.

Haven't played Clare in Munster since 2008. Haven't played Cork since 2010.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Sick of playing them though.

Haven't played Clare in Munster since 2008. Haven't played Cork since 2010.

I don't think anyone would disagree with you on that one. I'd have liked Clare most. Would have been a sellout in GG

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Opposite side to Clare lining up a shot at a Clare v Limerick Munster final. Unlike this year just gone Tipp are nothing to fear now, it's a 50/50 game for a shot at Munster again. Get down to Thurles and year into them, bring it on!

Only problem is lack of games again. Same as this year, would have preferred to be drawn in the first round. If the league does change though maybe that will go some way to addressing the loss.

• Advertisement

Opposite side to Clare lining up a shot at a Clare v Limerick Munster final. Unlike this year just gone Tipp are nothing to fear now, it's a 50/50 game for a shot at Munster again. Get down to Thurles and year into them, bring it on!

Only problem is lack of games again. Same as this year, would have preferred to be drawn in the first round. If the league does change though maybe that will go some way to addressing the loss.

Definitely agree with them... if it was Tipp first round game, with a potential match against any of the other 3, that wouldn't be too bad.

It's not impossible to win at all, I'd quite fancy our chances, but I'd expect Tipp to be a lot stronger in 2014.

Definitely agree with them... if it was Tipp first round game, with a potential match against any of the other 3, that wouldn't be too bad.

It's not impossible to win at all, I'd quite fancy our chances, but I'd expect Tipp to be a lot stronger in 2014.

Tipp have a bit of a rebuilding job to do. Kelly needs to be replaced, Lar will probably still be about but it's beyond time Callanan and McGrath stepped up and assumed the mantle. If not they lack still lack the cutting edge of 2010. O'Mahony and Curran will probably still be in place but aren't getting any younger.

They should be better next year but so should we. And with downes, and dowling to come in it's easier to see where we have immediate scope to improve. Maybe!

Tipp won't be as bad again, not that they were too bad to be fair to them. Lost 2 tough close matches.

They should be better next year but so should we. And with downes, and dowling to come in it's easier to see where we have immediate scope to improve. Maybe!

Work on a dominant half-back line, get the best out of Hannon/Dowling/Downes/Mulcahy in particular...retain ball-winning ability in the half-forward line. We should be better, but there's a lot of work to be done.

Work on a dominant half-back line, get the best out of Hannon/Dowling/Downes/Mulcahy in particular...retain ball-winning ability in the half-forward line. We should be better, but there's a lot of work to be done.

Hickey back to midfield or centre back, Wayne Mc to the wing. POB to midfield. Hannon half forward. Start downes and dowling. That'll go a long way to putting shape on a decent team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

1973; W Limerick 6-7, Tipperary 2-18.
    1975; D Tipperary 3-13, Limerick 2-16. (won replay)
    1981; D Tipperary 3-13, Limerick 4-10. (won replay)
    1991; L Tipperary 2-18, Limerick 0-10.
    1997; L Tipperary 1-20, Limerick 0-13.
    2005; D Tipperary 2-14, Limerick 2-14. (lost replay)
    2006; L Tipperary 0-22, Limerick 2-12.
    2007; D Tipperary 2-21, Limerick 1-24. AET. (won replay)
    2012; L Tipperary 2-20, Limerick 1-19.

40 years since we won there v Tipp, no Munster Championship win in Semple Stadium since 1997.

Not sure how significant the above is, if at all. Record seems poor there but we competed very well there in 2012, took the game to them and were unlucky not to come away with a win. We have improved and gained good experience since then, Tipp have been somewhat static since then, but I imagine they will feel they have plenty of room for improvement.

Also, I'm hearing a lot of strong rumours regarding TJ Ryan and the Limerick job.

Hickey back to midfield or centre back, Wayne Mc to the wing. POB to midfield. Hannon half forward. Start downes and dowling. That'll go a long way to putting shape on a decent team.

Hannon at wing forward. Dowling on the other wing. Tobin and Mulcahy are still good options in the corners, though we could do with bringing someone in to add a bit of competition for 13/15.

Kevin Downes would be my choice at 14, and I'd actually leave James Ryan at 11, helps the midfield battle very well, keeps the opposing CB from dictating the game, and can pick off 2/3 points a game.

Niall Moran still worth having on the bench and David Breen to provide competition for forward positions.

Quaid, McCarthy, Condon undroppable. Walsh probably reasonably safe but I'd like to see Alan Dempsey given gametime in the league. Good wingback options, we could pick Wayne Mac, GavinO'M, PaudieO'B, SHickey or even the likes of Cathal King there and we'd be grand.

Centre back is something we need to find a solution to however. James O'Brien seems to tick all the boxes and I'd love to see him given a chance. There are some people in Adare who believe Declan Hannon should be picked there, and that the reason his form has been so up and down is because up in the forwards is not his natural position, that he is much stronger under the dropping ball as a defender than as a forward. I'd go along with some of that based on watching him at underage and for Mary I but he would be a big loss to the forwards.

That said, there was a while in the early 90's when moving Ciaran Carey from the forwards to centre back seemed like a very risky idea, that worked out okay in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Nothing against Waterford, but before getting Tipp, we seemed to be playing Waterford all the time.

Much rather play Clare on the back of an All-Ireland than Waterford coming under the radar.

Yeah I was joking of course. And with revenge on yer minds. Drawing Tipp away was about as bad a draw ye could have got, Cork would have been the next worse I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

1973; W Limerick 6-7, Tipperary 2-18.
    1975; D Tipperary 3-13, Limerick 2-16. (won replay)
    1981; D Tipperary 3-13, Limerick 4-10. (won replay)
    1991; L Tipperary 2-18, Limerick 0-10.
    1997; L Tipperary 1-20, Limerick 0-13.
    2005; D Tipperary 2-14, Limerick 2-14. (lost replay)
    2006; L Tipperary 0-22, Limerick 2-12.
    2007; D Tipperary 2-21, Limerick 1-24. AET. (won replay)
    2012; L Tipperary 2-20, Limerick 1-19.

40 years since we won there v Tipp, no Munster Championship win in Semple Stadium since 1997.

Not sure how significant the above is, if at all. Record seems poor there but we competed very well there in 2012, took the game to them and were unlucky not to come away with a win. We have improved and gained good experience since then, Tipp have been somewhat static since then, but I imagine they will feel they have plenty of room for improvement.

Also, I'm hearing a lot of strong rumours regarding TJ Ryan and the Limerick job.

Just No.

Hannon at wing forward. Dowling on the other wing. Tobin and Mulcahy are still good options in the corners, though we could do with bringing someone in to add a bit of competition for 13/15.

Kevin Downes would be my choice at 14, and I'd actually leave James Ryan at 11, helps the midfield battle very well, keeps the opposing CB from dictating the game, and can pick off 2/3 points a game.

Niall Moran still worth having on the bench and David Breen to provide competition for forward positions.

Quaid, McCarthy, Condon undroppable. Walsh probably reasonably safe but I'd like to see Alan Dempsey given gametime in the league. Good wingback options, we could pick Wayne Mac, GavinO'M, PaudieO'B, SHickey or even the likes of Cathal King there and we'd be grand.

Centre back is something we need to find a solution to however. James O'Brien seems to tick all the boxes and I'd love to see him given a chance. There are some people in Adare who believe Declan Hannon should be picked there, and that the reason his form has been so up and down is because up in the forwards is not his natural position, that he is much stronger under the dropping ball as a defender than as a forward. I'd go along with some of that based on watching him at underage and for Mary I but he would be a big loss to the forwards.

That said, there was a while in the early 90's when moving Ciaran Carey from the forwards to centre back seemed like a very risky idea, that worked out okay in the end.

Some stuff i agree with but not at half back, we would not be grand at championship with cathal king and hickey at half back. They would be roasted. James O;Brien and Nicky quaid would be much stronger also tomas ryan. The same panel will not do next year it needs shaking up.

For the record i dont think hickey is good enough to play anywhere but midfield and even then i think we have better options in DOG and POB. No point debating this now just saying, as i know some here still think a lot of him (Hope he proves me wrong as we need every player we have and sincerly hope he makes a complete recovery)

Just No.

I would agree, nothing against the guy but he did fairly poorly with a good panel of U21 players this year and he is fairly inexperieced. There are better options available within the county at the moment.

We were pursuing Liam Sheedy but he is supposed to have said that he'll only ever consider managing Tipperary.

I can't give a concrete source but the person I heard it from isn't prone to bull****ting and does know some people within the county board.

I would agree, nothing against the guy but he did fairly poorly with a good panel of U21 players this year and he is fairly inexperieced. There are better options available within the county at the moment.

We were pursuing Liam Sheedy but he is supposed to have said that he'll only ever consider managing Tipperary.

I can't give a concrete source but the person I heard it from isn't prone to bull****ting and does know some people within the county board.

I don't doubt that he is being considered especially as others drop out. I would be seriously against him getting it though.

For the record i dont think hickey is good enough to play anywhere but midfield and even then i think we have better options in DOG and POB. No point debating this now just saying, as i know some here still think a lot of him (Hope he proves me wrong as we need every player we have and sincerly hope he makes a complete recovery)

Hickey has been very unlucky, when he initially broke onto the team as a corner back he looked to have the makings of an influential centre back in the future. Between his leaving of the panel in the 2010 Justin debacle and a few bad injuries since (including his current cruciate injury) his career hasn't quite taken off the way it should. He's also suffering from being moved all over the pitch. Cornerback 06-07, Wing back 08, midfield 09, unavailable 10, fullback 11, injury reduced him to a sub in 12, and wing forward in 13.

I agree with your assessment that he is best off in midfield, he probably had his most influential year while he was there in 2009, to be fair to him I think it has to be said that he fulfilled the role that was assigned to him this year reasonably well. Once Donal O'Grady calls it a day (hopefully not for another year or two), Hickey is a ready made replacement.

The whole Hannon thing its hard to know what to do, ive only seen him play CB once for the college, and that was on the telly so cant comment, would be a huge call.

I'd agree with pretty much all that.

Don't think Quaid is undroppable, I'd like to see Murphy get a run, couldn't hurt.

Huge fan of Dempsey but hard to drop either corner back, and Richie is irreplaceable. Great full back line.

Move Wayne back to 5, he dominates there but can be exposed at 6. GOM is our most consistent player and a class act on the other wing. Hickey, DOG, or maybe O'Brien for 6. If O'Brien could fill that jersey at county level as well as he did for Na p two years ago it would be massive, similar player to Geary.

POB to his best position of midfield with hickey, my preferred option, or Browne, O'Grady, or Ryan. Good pairings there.

Hannon to centre forward for me, maybe wing but I'd like to see him in the ball as much as possible. I think he's a natural centre forward, full forward doesn't suit him as much. I'd prob go with breen and allis on the wings but dowling, downes and Ryan could be in that line too.

Mulcahy will keep his place inside but needs to deliver a bit more. I'd go with dowling ff and downes in the corner, those three could be lethal. I'd hoped Moran would have retained his form of a year ago at ff but I think it's not to be now, he's given a lot in fairness.

There is a really decent team in there in that group of players we have decent bench options too. If we can get a management team to get the most out of them we needn't be afraid of anyone.

• Advertisement

So, Na Piarsaigh v Adare this weekend!

Looking forward to this one, it's not often we have two top quality teams in the final, these two and Kilmallock have been the best teams in the county for the last 5 years, hopefully Doon can press on and feature regularly.

I'm hearing Adare may be without Donncha Sheehan, a big blow for them if true, so they'll need Hannon and Griffin to be at their best. Na Piarsaigh will look to get at their full back line which has shown signs of vulnerability in their last three games, and they will also look to restrict the influence of John Fitzgibbon who has probably been their most influential player this year.

Adare have shown great composure and patience in their last two games after slow starts (although those slow starts were influenced by playing into a heavy wind in the first halves) but they cannot afford to let Na Piarsaigh get a head start on them, they most likely won't let a big lead slip, although Kilmallock almost stole it from them the last day.

Na Piarsaigh probably have that bit more quality overall, and the King-Breen-O'Brien half back line could prove to be the decisive factor in my opinion. Adare know all about county finals, a handful of their players will be starting an 8th final, they will be relying on 4 or 5 players to produce a big game on Sunday (McNamara, Hannon, Griffin, Fitzgibbon, Kennedy) but Na Piarsaigh just have that bit more quality overall and certainly have an advantage in terms of springing a few decent substitutes into the fray in the second half if required. Adare don't have the same depth. I'm expecting a competitive game, but Na Piarsaigh to shade this one by a small margin (2/3 points).

Not much more to add to that, wont make it so any reports be appreciated tomorrow.

Would back downes to score at any time against that FB line rather than backing either team.

For the match tomorrow, I'd fancy Na Piarsaigh. I really thought Doon would beat Adare and while they put up a good fight, they lacked a truly class forward, someone in the mould of Hannon. Doon did beat Na Piarsaigh and that will give Adare confidence but you'd have to think Na Piarsaigh will be improved tomorrow.

Na Piarsaigh do have that class forward in either Downes or Dowling, a real scoring threat from anywhere. And if the Adare full-back line were troubled by Coleman and Ryan, Downes and Adrian Breen should torture them if on form. It's all very well having Lavin, who is a class man-marker, but they don't have the pace to prevent goals from being scored.

I doubt it'll be hugely one-sided, but I can't see Adare keeping Na Piarsaigh scores down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭shockframe

I'd expect a massive performance from Adare. With Na Piarsaigh,Kilmallock and possibly Doon and the Well to compete with younger squads over the next 5 years at least it could well be Adare's last hurrah.

Adare have been a very good team since the 2001 breakthrough and for all Na Piarsaighs excellent progress in club and schools during the last decade they still have only 1 county to their name.You could have said the same about Adare in 2001 but they now know how to win.If they unsettle Na Piarsaigh early I'd fancy them to win it.

I hope it's a decent final.The standard of county finals has really been shocking since the 1990s.The last truly memorable final quality wise was the drawn game between Adare and the Well in 1996.A good county final would really be a huge bonus to promote the game on the back of the minor and senior success of 2013.

If Na Piarsaigh perform to their potential they will win. They should have too much quality throughout whereas Adare are more reliant on their bigger players. As shown by the Doon game though they don't always play to their potential, and they really shouldn't have been clinging on at the end against Kilmallock, so they are vulnerable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Wonder will Liam Sheedy be there??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

sasta le wrote: »
    Wonder will Liam Sheedy be there??

Tommy Dunne is there.
    Is he involved with N.P.
    Would himself and Declan Ryan make a return to management.?
    The pair had great success at underage with Tipp.

One of the worst games I ever saw. Na Piarsaigh made hard work of that. Downes the best player on the field today and probably the only forward in limerick that could play in any position in the forwards. Very good out at centre forward today. Alan dempsey very good too and adrian breen had a good first half. Good performances from some of na p's young players too. Don't understand Adare keeping Hannon in at full forward.

From a limerick perspective, wrong result? bout half a dozen players going to be hurling into the winter, though at least dowling will be kept fit

• Advertisement

From a limerick perspective, wrong result? bout half a dozen players going to be hurling into the winter, though at least dowling will be kept fit

Maybe getting a bit too far ahead there but but should be good overall.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement