Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

An attendance of about 3600 announced today, I remember in 2007 the final (Adare v Croom) drew in about 10,000. I've been at almost all the finals since 2000/2001 and it is disappointing to see the decline in attendances at club games as the years go by.

Not a memorable match today, I felt in the lead up that Adare hadn't the depth to cover the loss of Donncha Sheehan, and sure enough they missed him today. Oddly enough, the full back line that was perceived to be Adare's achilles heel was probably their strongest line on the pitch, Stephen Lavin really stood up for Adare in the second half.

Na Piarsaigh hit a large tally of wides, must have been close to 16. I don't recall either goalkeeper having a save to make. Adare could struggle in the next few years, they seem to have a handful of players the wrong side of 30 who are a shadow of the players they once were, but they seem to be undroppable as the don't have a whole lot of new blood ready to step in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Downes scored 0-4 from play today... I don't care how good an impact player he may possibly be, he has to start for Limerick. As glas said, he could start anywhere in the forward line.

On the wing, he is a good ball-winner and would offer a threat breaking from deep. At centre-forward he can drive right through the heart of defences. We've all seen what he can do at full-forward, good in the air, good on the ground, has pace, can turn off either side and can get goals. In the corner, it's much the same, a real dangerman.

I'm not actually sure which position I'd pick him in... as in which would be the best for the team. Probably somewhere in the inside forward line where he can use his goalscoring ability, but if Limerick lack a centre-forward, he could be the answer.

I definitely think a spot has to be found for Alan Dempsey too, whether it be at corner-back, wing-back or midfield. Serious hurler.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Downes scored 0-4 from play today... I don't care how good an impact player he may possibly be, he has to start for Limerick. As glas said, he could start anywhere in the forward line.

On the wing, he is a good ball-winner and would offer a threat breaking from deep. At centre-forward he can drive right through the heart of defences. We've all seen what he can do at full-forward, good in the air, good on the ground, has pace, can turn off either side and can get goals. In the corner, it's much the same, a real dangerman.

I'm not actually sure which position I'd pick him in... as in which would be the best for the team. Probably somewhere in the inside forward line where he can use his goalscoring ability, but if Limerick lack a centre-forward, he could be the answer.

I definitely think a spot has to be found for Alan Dempsey too, whether it be at corner-back, wing-back or midfield. Serious hurler.

Downes should be one the first names on the team sheet. I'd have always picked him in the corner but he could play wing or obviously full forward too. Could be interesting seeing him at centre forward. Wayne Mc couldn't mark him today.

Dempsey will have to play his way in, can only see him corner back for the county. I thought he'd be starting this year but Walsh was class in fairness and Condon had been one of our most important players. Dempsey will be playing fitzgibbon this year too so that'll help him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

And the other dempsey, how did he go yesterday. Hit a few wides i know but at least he must have won plenty of ball, is he worth a look?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Any of the minor players stand out as having future potential?

• Advertisement

And the other dempsey, how did he go yesterday. Hit a few wides i know but at least he must have won plenty of ball, is he worth a look?

Won a few balls and hit a few wides. Scored a lovely point just on the stroke of half time. Bit soon for the minor players for the senior county team I think, 2015 maybe. Certainly the two Lynch's and Dempsey look good prospects. Michael Casey was very good at corner back for Na Piarsaigh. Was disappointed Cian Lynch didn't start or get more time for patrickswell in the first match.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Won a few balls and hit a few wides. Scored a lovely point just on the stroke of half time. Bit soon for the minor players for the senior county team I think, 2015 maybe. Certainly the two Lynch's and Dempsey look good prospects. Michael Casey was very good at corner back for Na Piarsaigh. Was disappointed Cian Lynch didn't start or get more time for patrickswell in the first match.

Wasn't at the match myself but on the patrickswell gaa page, there was a squad photo from yesterday and Cian Lynch was wearing number 10 I think. Must have been a late decision not to start him

Colemania wrote: »
    Wasn't at the match myself but on the patrickswell gaa page, there was a squad photo from yesterday and Cian Lynch was wearing number 10 I think. Must have been a late decision not to start him

Yeah he was named 10 and didn't start, came on with about 15 or 20 to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Yeah he was named 10 and didn't start, came on with about 15 or 20 to go.

It's a shame he didn't start alright. Fantastic skillful hurler. He didn't even try against croom and he still showed off some serious skill and scoring. Can be a bit wasteful alright but he's only young. Made his championship debut against na piarsigh and they didn't know what to do with him! Think he got 3 points after coming on as a sub which isn't bad on your debut against the now county champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

It's a shame he didn't start alright. Fantastic skillful hurler. He didn't even try against croom and he still showed off some serious skill and scoring. Can be a bit wasteful alright but he's only young. Made his championship debut against na piarsigh and they didn't know what to do with him! Think he got 3 points after coming on as a sub which isn't bad on your debut against the now county champions.

Saw him in a harty cup game two weeks ago,against Bandon ,looks the real deal,they had to put our minor trevor horgan on him to try and stop him.

Himself and mikey cahalane ,the two best forwards on show.

• Advertisement

relaxed wrote: »

Very talented minor team, wouldn't be surprised to see a good few of them play senior- whether it be in the league or Championship. Obviously hard to gauge future progress but you could tell with players like Hannon and Dowling, so you should be able to make a few predictions.

Richie English already an important player for Doon, Le Touche Cosgrave is a serious talent....Ronan Lynch obviously...then in the forwards, you've got Barry Nash who is already making a serious impression for South Liberties- strong direct runner and very skilful. Dave Dempsey, starting for the county champions, great score-taker. Coleman and Ryan have serious pace and tore the Adare full-back line to shreds in the first half, by all accounts, don't know if either will make it at senior intercounty level, hard to say.

And then you have Cian Lynch who is just pure class.

Lynch is a serious hurler. But he's still only like 16.

I know with Clare winning with a young team, everyone is saying it's a young man's game and we should inject the team with youth.

It's an argument worth making but rushing young players in isn't always a good idea...very easy to burn out young players, especially if they're playing lots of hurling. Shane Dowling after Na Piarsaigh made the AI semi-final, and with U-21/senior commitments just wasn't the same...had to put off an operation.

Similar with Declan Hannon...his best performance in a Limerick jersey was against Dublin in 2011, which was after he missed the start of the Championship because of the Leaving Cert. They are two of the most talented young players in the country, and two of the best we've had in a while but both have had fitness/injury issues.

I suppose with Clare, they have a huge amount of pace and fitness...while neither Dowling or Hannon are exactly speedsters.

But I wouldn't just bring a load of young players straight into the team, we already have a pretty young squad, and just because Clare won it doesn't mean hurling should change. Kilkenny won how many with a good blend of experience with some youth. If Cork had won (and remember they very nearly did, if it wasn't for O'Donovan's point), would people be saying the same thing? They have a young enough team, but it's about the same as ours, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

Hardly ever post here but I said

It's important those young minors that are still in school (Some were playing Harty today) start thinking/be guided into playing 3rd level colleges hurling. It's a step up again from minor. Going through the Cork & Clare teams that played in the All Ireland most have played Fitz at some stage and a lot of that Cork team have won it in the past few years.

I think the draw to Tipp is kind for a number of reasons. I think there's going to be certain pressure off after the loss against Clare & winning Munster last year. It sets the team up before and after, they know they have beaten Tipp in 2013 and should have done in 2012. They'll have no fear. After the match they will know where they stand. Did they really know this after 2 championship games this year, especially after playing Cork with a spare man for 35 minutes? So if they lose, they can regroup through the qualifiers like Clare & Tipp (2010) did. Otherwise they've won a big match, will take confidence and know at worst they're in a QF. I think 14 is set up for a shot at the All Ireland and that's what the manager has to aim for.

francozola wrote: »
    Hardly ever post here but I said

It's important those young minors that are still in school (Some were playing Harty today) start thinking/be guided into playing 3rd level colleges hurling. It's a step up again from minor. Going through the Cork & Clare teams that played in the All Ireland most have played Fitz at some stage and a lot of that Cork team have won it in the past few years.

I think the draw to Tipp is kind for a number of reasons. I think there's going to be certain pressure off after the loss against Clare & winning Munster last year. It sets the team up before and after, they know they have beaten Tipp in 2013 and should have done in 2012. They'll have no fear. After the match they will know where they stand. Did they really know this after 2 championship games this year, especially after playing Cork with a spare man for 35 minutes? So if they lose, they can regroup through the qualifiers like Clare & Tipp (2010) did. Otherwise they've won a big match, will take confidence and know at worst they're in a QF. I think 14 is set up for a shot at the All Ireland and that's what the manager has to aim for.

The vast majority will play Fitz....a good few of the current Limerick team played Fitz for a few years. Of course, some of those minors are still only in 5th or 6th year, and can't play Fitz until 2nd year of college.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

relaxed wrote: »

Cosgrave and the two Lynchs looked good when I saw them last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Was it La Touche Cosgrave that was brought off and then back on against Galway in August? Such a move wouldn't exactly instill much belief in the other subs

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

Browney7 wrote: »
    Was it La Touche Cosgrave that was brought off and then back on against Galway in August? Such a move wouldn't exactly instill much belief in the other subs

It was Tom Morrissey.

Anyway the Minor management team are reinstalled for next year. A lot of the team are still underage so it's a vital year in terms of development.

Orizio wrote: »
    Cosgrave and the two Lynchs looked good when I saw them last year.
    In the harty cup game ,between Ard scoil and Hamilton two wks ago or so,Cian was excellent,so much chris o leary who had a fine game today had to be taken off him,and Cork minor trevor horgan went back on him for a while.

Ronan was very good in patches ,but Cork dual Minor michael cahalane caused him problems,then again cahalane cause most problems.

La touch cosgrave looked good against Ag Muire, Tuesday for castletroy.

Barry Nash,anthonys cousin got a great goal from a free ,and to beat cork development and Senior Na piasaigh goalkeeper is very good.

Tom morrisey looked good but the Ag Muire full back wasnt at the same level.

Eddie gunning was the man to mark him,but he was needed to mark Nash.

Jerome O'Connell's team of the club championship. Always interesting how different it is from the intercounty team, certainly some players in there worth a look on the county team or panel.

Champions Na Piarsaigh dominate the Limerick SHC Team of the Year

WITH Na Piarsaigh crowned Limerick senior hurling champions, Jerome O’Connell picks his Limerick SHC team of the season and outlines the reasons for his selections.

County champions Na Piarsaigh lead the team with six of the players, while a total of six different clubs are represented. Just four members of John Allen’s 2013 Limerick senior hurling panel are named in the team.

1. Padraig Kennedy (Na Piarsaigh)

The Na Piarsaigh goalie continues to be a safe pair of hands for Sean Stack’s side. Now in his fifth year between the posts, Kennedy is assured in both his primary duties and also very impressive when in possession of the sliothar. Adare’s Shane O’Donoghue and Doon’s Darragh Stapleton get honourable mentions.

2. Niall Buckley (Na Piarsiagh)

Solid throughout the year for the Caherdavin men. Very strong in possession and drives out through challenges. Held off opposition from Liam Hurley of Kilmallock and Eoin Fitzgibbon of Doon.

3. Kieran Breen (Na Piarsaigh)

Mr consistency for Na Piarsaigh at the edge of the square. Goes about his business quietly but most effectively. Picked up Declan Hannon for a lot of the county final and did an admiral job. Kilmallock’s Mark O’Loughlin and Knockainey’s Patrick McNamara were others to impress for their clubs in the No3 shirt.

4. Mikey Kiely (Ballybrown)

Converted from an attacker to defender this season and did most impressively. Two outstanding outings against Graeme Mulcahy and Willie Griffin. Selected ahead of Na Piarsaigh’s Michael Casey and Adare’s Stephen Lavin.

5. James O’Brien (Na Piarsaigh)

The championship winning captain was top notch from start to finish this season. Started out at centre back but ended at wing back and did some great sweeping across the half back line. Notable performers were Dinny Moloney of Doon and Diarmuid Byrnes of Murroe-Boher.

6. Cathal McNamara (Doon)

The centre back was the foundation of much that was good about Doon this season. Their half back line was most impressive and McNamara held the centre well. Also contributed long range frees. Held off strong competition from David Breen of Na Piarsaigh, Gavin O’Mahony of Kilmallock and Nigel Finch of Knockainey.

7. Wayne McNamara (Adare)

Played centre back for the county finalists but had to make this team. Drove Adare on at all times and the club captain is clearly an inspiration to colleagues. Honourable mentions to Doon’s Richie English and Tom Ryan of South Liberties.

8. John Fitzgibbon (Adare)

The U-21 player was outstanding this season. Brings huge energy to midfield and chipped in with some impressive scores from play. Knockainey’s Patrick Kirby and Kilmallock’s Paudie O’Brien were other considerations.

9. Alan Dempsey (Na Piarsaigh)

Solved a problem area for the champions when he switched from wing back. Brought a renewed energy to the area and also found a scoring touch. Held off claims from Doon’s Niall Maher and Donal O’Grady of Granagh-Ballingarry.

10. Seanie O’Brien (Patrickswell)

Started the year in a blaze of glory and while wasn’t as prominent as the year ended, he certainly showed glimpses of his great potential. Doon’s Pat Ryan, Barry Nash of South Liberties and Kilmallock’s Kevin O’Donnell also enjoyed fine seasons.

11. Declan Hannon (Adare)

Not the best season from Hannon but regardless he finished as top scorer in the championship and accounted for the majority of the scores from an Adare side that reached the county final. Notable centre forward performances from Seanie Tobin of Murroe-Boher, Shane Dowling of Na Piarsaigh and Niall Kennedy of Granagh-Ballingarry.

12. Alan O’Connor (Ballybrown)

The Ballybrown man showed his value to his side in each game. In their first season back in the top flight, O’Connor’s scores from frees and from play was a solid base and a great confidence boost for his side. Adare’s Diarmuid Sexton and Patrickswell pair Kevin O’Brien and Jack Kelleher also caught the eye.

13. Eoin Ryan (Kilmallock)

Must have been one of the championship’s top scorers from play. Played in a variety of roles for Tony Considine’s men and always camp up trumps with vital scores. Doon’s Micheal Ryan and Ahane’s Tom Morrissey were others to prove a constant threat for their clubs.

14. Kevin Downes (Na Piarsaigh)

The inter-county man stood up when needed by his clubs. Outstanding in the county final and also hit vital scores enroute to the decider. Adare’s Paul Keane, Granagh-Ballingarry’s Eoin Chawke and Bruree’s Kieran O’Dea were others that were key to their clubs.

15. Dean Coleman (Doon)

The teenager didn’t start every game for Doon but more often than not provided the spark for some memorable wins. Developed a vital knack of scoring key goals and always had defences on the back foot. Na Piarsaigh’s Adrian Breen and Patrickswell’s Lar Considine did likewise for their clubs.

I think he did well enough with that selection, he pretty much credited all the main contenders for the 15 positions. I personally would have had Dowling ahead of Hannon at centre forward, mainly due to the fact Hannon spent most the year at full forward (will Adare and Limerick please stop doing that:mad:) but I'd have balanced the Adare / Na Piarsaigh numbers by placing O'Donoghue in goals ahead of NaP's Kennedy. He produced a few good saves throughout the year including an outstanding point blank save in the semi v Doon which proved to be vital at a stage when Adare were under severe pressure in the first half.

Glad to see Cathal McNamara acknowledged.

Whats the story with yere hurling manager?

I heard their meant to be meeting in two weeks again.

Sheedy i heard is not in the running.
    Two wks ago he was a firm favourite.

Hard to know what to believe.
    I heard from the cork side cusack and ger cunnigham cork are in the running.

Cunnigham has always said he wanted to become an intercounty manager.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

O'Grady to return with TJ assisting it seems, Wouldn't be against it myself.

If O'Grady was willing to stay long term in the event of things going well I'd be happy to have him back, even though he wouldn't be my first choice. If it's the same deal as 2011, (i.e. one year and one year only) then it would represent a step backwards.

We need to stop doing this little "Who will manage us now?" dance every one or two years, if we go for O'Grady again we'll be right back where we are now this time next year or this time two years if we're very lucky.

That's why my first choice would be a Limerick man, at least a Limerick man wouldn't take the job in the "I'll do this for a year or two" mindset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭peepee

If O'Grady was willing to stay long term in the event of things going well I'd be happy to have him back, even though he wouldn't be my first choice. If it's the same deal as 2011, (i.e. one year and one year only) then it would represent a step backwards.

Even if ye won the All Ireland next year and he left then?

peepee wrote: »
    Even if ye won the All Ireland next year and he left then?

Be realistic. Do you honestly believe Donal O'Grady will come straight in and win the All-Ireland?

The chances of that are very slim, and the most likely outcome of hiring O'Grady now will be that in twelve months time we will have no All-Ireland, and we will be searching for a new manager again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭peepee

Well i'll answer your question if you answer mine first. Would you take an ALL Ireland with a one/two year manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Grats

O'Grady won'tcommit to any more than 12 months I would think. He has very lucrative positions with RTE, TG4 and the Irish Examiner. Hard to see him give all that up just for the sake of Limerick hurling! There was turmoil in both Cork and Limerick before he took over and brought calmness to those camps. Won the All Ireland in 2004 with Cork. Other than that I don't know of any other achievements as a manager. There has to be somebody in Limerick with a decent cv.

peepee wrote: »
    Well i'll answer your question if you answer mine first. Would you take an ALL Ireland with a one/two year manager?

You're missing the point, your question is not valid because to take your question seriously would imply that taking O'Grady for one year would guarantee an All-Ireland.

Hiring a short term manager for one year, two at most does not guarantee an All-Ireland any more than hiring someone who intends to stay in the job for as long as possible.

Grats wrote: »
    O'Grady some commit to any more than 12 months I would think. He has very lucrative positions with RTE, TG4 and the Irish Examiner. Hard to see him give all that up just for the sake of Limerick hurling! There was turmoil in both Cork and Limerick before he took over and brought calmness to those camps. Won the All Ireland in 2004 with Cork. Other than that I don't know of any other achievements as a manager. There has to be somebody in Limerick with a decent cv.

Ye would be foolish not to purse Ger cunnigham of cork if hes interested.ID hate to see cork loose him,but at the same time id love to c ,he get a chance at a top job.He wont get it in cork .

Everywhere hes been,ballygunner,ucc,cork twice,a superb coach.

He would be in it for the long haul.He has a great affinity for limerick hurling.

He has been involved in two different styles of play ,with cork,the running game with o grady,to the more direct,fast,all about space with jbm.

I have seen him many a time,hes coaching drills.Their top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Grats

Ye would be foolish not to purse Ger cunnigham of cork if hes interested.ID hate to see cork loose him,but at the same time id love to c ,he get a chance at a top job.He wont get it in cork .

Everywhere hes been,ballygunner,ucc,cork twice,a superb coach.

He would be in it for the long haul.He has a great affinity for limerick hurling.

He has been involved in two different styles of play ,with cork,the running game with o grady,to the more direct,fast,all about space with jbm.

I have seen him many a time,hes coaching drills.Their top class.

Cunningham has a much more impressive cv than O'Grady. Other than the AI success in 2004 what else had O'Grady? Overrated?

• Advertisement

The latest I heard a while ago from my county board source* today is that DO'G is not too keen, but the CB want him to work with TJ Ryan second in command for 2014, with a view to TJ taking sole charge in 2015 for an initial two year term! Apparently they have now set their sights on Ger Cunningham, but haven't given up hope on DO'G.

*I'll just state that the last time I spoke to this person a week ago he told me that TJ on his own was a done deal- but that appears to have been not quite true!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement