Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

Is that the one involving the salvation army?

I'm not sure as I haven't read anything of Nesbo's work yet but read a summary of The Snowman and it seemed very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

czechlin wrote: »
    I'm not sure as I haven't read anything of Nesbo's work yet but read a summary of The Snowman and it seemed very interesting.

I've read a couple of his Harry Hole novels and they are quite entertaining. Alternatively you could try reading Headhunters which is a stand alone book, might give you a taste of the author's style.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

czechlin wrote: »
    What do you think of it?

The Harry Hole series is a bit out of synch if you are reading it in translation. It starts with 'the Bat', which is rated poorly and it doesn't have much bearing on the rest of the series, sometimes it's mentioned in passing. The second book 'Cockroaches' is being released in December. Most people start with 'The Redbreast' the third book which is one of my favourites. (I cheated and skipped ahead to 'The Snowman' and then back tracked to 'The Redbreast'). Jo Nesbo writes each book as a standalone but for the fans that read the whole series there is the reward of a few peripheral threads running through the books that add an extra dimension if you start with 'the redbreast'. It's a good series, the cases are satisfyingly complex and Nesbo writes in a very filmic way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 326 ✭✭Savoir.Faire

Beyond Good and Evil by Nietzsche. It's a dense work, and I sometimes get the feeling Nietzsche is reading me, rather than I him.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Johnny Drama_11

The Testament (John Grisham), when you say atm I will be starting it tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

Just finished Empire of the Sun. Hated every moment of it.

Has anyone read the Orphan Train? Heard mixed reviews.

Just finished Empire of the Sun. Hated every moment of it.

Has anyone read the Orphan Train? Heard mixed reviews.

Why did you persevere if you hated every moment of it. If I don't like a book after 50 pages I toss it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

I have been reading the Gone series by Michael Grant. Apparently they are aimed at teenagers but I found a lot of stuff in them fairly gruesome. It would be a bit like Lord of the Flies crossed with X-Men. I'm on the last book now, I've enjoyed them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

Thank you, I think I'll give the series a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Why did you persevere if you hated every moment of it. If I don't like a book after 50 pages I toss it.

I just kept hoping it would get better. I have a thing as well that I can't let it go, have to read it through to the end.

• Advertisement

I just kept hoping it would get better. I have a thing as well that I can't let it go, have to read it through to the end.

I've been guilty of that in the past especially if the book has been recommended by a friend. Now I find as my book list has gotten longer my tolerance has grown shorter.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Ihatehalloween

I used to be like that but life's too short lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 chestylaroux

I'm reading A Clash of Kings just now by George RR Martin. It's gripping but long winded.

I fancy trying some Graham Greene next, never read any of his stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

What a great thread this has turned out to be.

Well I have picked up 'God is not Great' by Christopher Hitchens and 'Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee' by Dee Brown.

I began both but really need to put one down and just get stuck into the other. I have a mountain of books to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭rock chic

Forget under the dome and get started on 11/22/63 now.

got this in a charity shop but havent started it so its that good :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Philip Larkin - Required Writing. Miscellaneous Pieces 1955 - 1982

• Registered Users Posts: 10,236 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

"Speak, memory" by Nabokov.

God, it's bloody dense. Dunno if I'm enjoying it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts (not far into it yet but like it so far)
    and
    Notes from a Small Country by Bill Bryson. I love Bill Bryson! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Shout Dust

I'm reading A Clash of Kings just now by George RR Martin. It's gripping but long winded.

I fancy trying some Graham Greene next, never read any of his stuff.

Wait till you get to A Feast For Crows, the gripping aspect dwindles while the long windedness grows exponentially, although there's a few interesting chapters. It picks up again in A Dance With Dragons, and A Storm of Swords, especially the second half is probably one of the best books I've ever read.

Have put Nabokov aside for the moment and bought Morrissey's "Autobiography".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Birneybau wrote: »
    Have put Nabokov aside for the moment and bought Morrissey's "Autobiography".
    Ha, I thought you were trying to be catty putting it in quotation marks but he really did name it "Autobiography"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Shelbourne Ultimatum. Not as good as the first 5 Rosser books, but quite enjoyable all the same.

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Ha, I thought you were trying to be catty putting it in quotation marks but he really did name it "Autobiography"...

It's released through Penguin Classics as well :rolleyes:

One of the reasons I like him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 cotswolds

"on the road" by jack kerouac.

It's really really making me feel like packing my bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Birneybau wrote: »
    It's released through Penguin Classics as well :rolleyes:

One of the reasons I like him though.
    There's been a bit of controversy over the Penguins Classics cover, I'm guessing he insisted on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'm enjoying reading the Shining, but I find the wifes character very trying. She's so passive aggressive and whiney that I can't sympathise with her, for me she's just such an irritating character that you almost want him to kill her, just to shut her up.

Thinking back to the film, Jack Nicholson seemed like an odd choice for the roll although on film he's perfect. As far as I remember the actress who played the wife was brunette but in the book shes a blonde.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

weetiepie wrote: »
    Would you recommend eamon dunphys book??
    Yes.
    I like sports biographies. I read Zlatan Ibrahimovic's in one sitting a few weeks ago.
    There is plenty of behind the scenes detail. He was at Manchester United when George Best, bobby Charlton, and John Giles were there. Jimmy Savile was in Manchester at the time, and features a little bit.
    He was not a fan of DeValera, Haughey, and the Soldiers (of Destiny).
    He is not a fan of the FAI top brass, and there are a few stories. I have only read about 2/3 of it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

The Enemy, a Jack Reacher novel.

Jack is narrating the book

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Feardorca

Blue Heaven C J BOX Great Writer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭FurQyou

Re-reading Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki at the moment.. The guy is a genius!

Quirky, lyrical and totally original author. Would highly recommend him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement