Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭apieceofcake

Just reading 'The Burgess Boys by Elizabeth Strout. Have only read the first couple of chapters, but it is shaping up to be very good :)

Have the new Lynda LaPlante lined up then. Always have to have another book in the wings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

What the dog saw -Malcom Gladwell -some very interesting stuff in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Wishfully Drinking
    Carrie Fischer Autobiography very good 2 thirds in Married Paul Simon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Just finished 'The Corner' by David Simon,and have just started 'Nowhere Men' by Michael Calvin.

Is it as good as Homicide?.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Is it as good as Homicide?.

Read both of them recently back to back after seeing Homicide recommended here. A more personal insight into the subjects and did feel a lot of sympathy for some of them. Only my personal opinion but it's superior to Homicide which I also enjoyed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭DainBramage

Robinson Crusoe by daniel defoe

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Finished Carrie in two days :p Couldn't put it down.

Currently reading Blood of Dragons by Robin Hobb.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I've downloaded A Short History of Everything to the Kindle. Something different for me anyway!

How do you find it?

Its good, but I found it hard work also. Concentration required to get the most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Miss Mayhem

Still Missing by Chevy Stevens. Chilling, terrifying novel. Loosely based on the kidnap and murder of Lindsay Buziak in Canada in 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

The devil's star - Jo Nesbo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭MarriedButBi

Strumpet City

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Adobe Flash catalyst CS 5, classroom in a book. Tis only a tiny little book in comparison to the ones I usually read.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

The Spinning Heart by Donal Ryan. Excellent read:)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Bossypants by Tina Fey. On the last few pages now. Such an intelligent and witty lady. Flew through the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭baron von something

ploughed through the First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie.brilliant books

on a side note.only another month for the new Scott Lynch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur.

House of Leaves.

It's messing with my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,827 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

dirtyden wrote: »
    How do you find it?

Its good, but I found it hard work also. Concentration required to get the most of it.

Haven't started it yet. I'm currently making my way through QI's "The Book Of General Ignorance". :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

After Hours Forum? Books? Reading?

....uh?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I am reading boards.ie and twitter at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.

Am reading (and ejoying) The Fountainhead by Rand at the minute.

What's Atlas Shrugged about??

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭French Toast

Just finished Angelas Ashes for college, such a good read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

Dean0088 wrote: »
    Am reading (and ejoying) The Fountainhead by Rand at the minute.

What's Atlas Shrugged about??

It's set around the development of a railroad. But typical of Rand it is more her philosophy than anything. Really good book. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Moving on to The Testament of Mary tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

1/3 of the way through Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon. Tough going but not quite as difficult as Ulysses

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I'm on a bit of a conspiracy kick at the moment so reading Beyond Belief by Jenna Miscavige (niece of the leader of Scientology) about her life being raised in Scientology. I'm only a few chapters in but it is harrowing. They essentially separated the parents and children and Jenna was raised in a child-labour camp. All down to the insanity of one pulp-fiction writer.

Next up will be Blowing Up Russia, by murdered Russian spy Alexander Litvinenko. I remember hearing about his death on the news in 2006 because his death was so unusual but it was only recently I looked into who he was and became interested in the conspiracy about the Russian government being responsible for this. I'll take it with a grain of salt because he basically lied for a living, but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Just started Stumbling On Happiness by Daniel Gilbert (a Harvard Psychology Professor no less :p ).
    He writes quite well and i'm enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

In the middle of Zealot by Reza Aslan.
    Quite an interesting book about the historical Jesus and how little he was like compared to what he was in the bible.
    Would highly recommend.
    I am also reading the Eyrbryggja Saga translated by Hermann Paulsson.
    Also an interesting book about the politics of 10th Century Iceland.
    The only problem I have is keeping track of the names, alot of which are quite similar but luckily there is an index of names with a sort explanation of who they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭1st dalkey dalkey

Reading 'The Default Line' by Faisal Islam.
    About the financial crash and it's effects on different countries.
    A very interesting read despite the subject. Gives a good insight into the main actors in the ongoing drama and also some ordinary Joe's caught up in the mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭canadianwoman

I'm currently reading Diabetes Solution by Dr Richard Bernstein
    Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
    and
    Bridget Jones Diary by Helen Fielding ( the third book in the series is coming out in October and I need to get through the first two books before I can read it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

I finished Nevil Shute's 'On the Beach' today. I really enjoyed it; it's definitely one of the most thought provoking books I've read in a while.

It is about the aftermath of a nuclear war that broke out in the northern hemisphere and wiped out all human life there. It is set around a group of people in Australia, which has been largely unaffected by the war. However, the nuclear fallout is slowly making its way south and it is only a matter of time before it reaches them. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement