Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭CinammonGirl

A History of Tractors in Ukrainian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

py2006 wrote: »
    What a great thread this has turned out to be.

Well I have picked up 'God is not Great' by Christopher Hitchens and 'Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee' by Dee Brown.

I began both but really need to put one down and just get stuck into the other. I have a mountain of books to read.

I really enjoyed Bury my heart at Wounded knee. If you like that there is a great book in a similar vein called 'Son of the morning star' it uses Custers last stand as the centrepiece but is also history of the indian wars.

I have recently started reading Max Hastings, finished Armageddon. The man know how to right history. Have read Nemesis and the Korean war history he wrote, all cracking reads.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 cotswolds

py2006 wrote: »
    What a great thread this has turned out to be.

Well I have picked up 'God is not Great' by Christopher Hitchens and 'Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee' by Dee Brown.

I began both but really need to put one down and just get stuck into the other. I have a mountain of books to read.

'God is not great' is difficult. I reckon it needs to be read like a Christian would read the Bible - daily for the rest of your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

It's not out yet but I'll be reading the new Donna Tartt book 'The Goldfinch'.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Wattle wrote: »
    It's not out yet but I'll be reading the new Donna Tartt book 'The Goldfinch'.
    I loved The Secret History - it's one of my favourite books. I wasn't too keen on her second book though. I must keep an eye out for the new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Rereading The Heroin Diaries by Rikki Sixx. Fantastic autobiography recommended in this very thread somewhere. Cheers again!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

GUBU nation by Damian Corless, picked it up for €1.99 in the second hand book store.

Just a list of bizarre and unbelievable statements and situations throughout the history of the State. Entertaining ,mind blowing and side splitting at times.

Finished Gridlock by Ben Elton, basically about the fascination with cars, written 20 years ago, so blindingly obvious I wonder why I could write the same book today!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Just finished "The Price of Power" by Pat Leahy, his account of the Coalition Govt to mid-2013. Its a good read, moving at pace and fuelled by Leahy's contention that what's going on in the background - often, chaos - is the dead exact opposite of the ordered progress the spinners would have us believe.

Would suggest that Leahy's best source is Rabbitte, purely on the basis that he has nothing bad to say about him. A quote from Rabbitte indeed is the title for his final chapter.

Having read it, I would be hard pressed to name the 15? Cabinet members, so much of the action revolves around the 4 Panjandrums of the EMC. Power in this country, such as it is, is concentrated in the hands of a very few people. maybe 11 or 12, only 4 of which have been elected.

And the Price of Power?...., the junior partners's inevitable destruction at the next election.

Some people never learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

The Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth

Quality read

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth

Quality read

Haven't read Forsythe in years, it's a real page turner. The film didn't do a bad job at dramatising the book.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭FameHungry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Schindler's list. Brilliant book but it's kinda ruined one of the best films ever for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

Shout Dust wrote: »
    Wait till you get to A Feast For Crows, the gripping aspect dwindles while the long windedness grows exponentially, although there's a few interesting chapters. It picks up again in A Dance With Dragons, and A Storm of Swords, especially the second half is probably one of the best books I've ever read.

I said this earlier in the thread and someone took exception to it but it really is true.

'And they ate this and they ate that and this and that and this and that.'

'Then walked. Walked again. More walking. Oh God, more walking... '

It does pick up in the book after but it really dampens any enthusiasm towards it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

FurQyou wrote: »
    Re-reading Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki at the moment.. The guy is a genius!

Quirky, lyrical and totally original author. Would highly recommend him.
    I just don't enjoy Haruki, I know it's my problem because everybody else just loves his work. Don't like the style at all.
    ken wrote: »
    Schindler's list. Brilliant book but it's kinda ruined one of the best films ever for me.
    How come?
    I said this earlier in the thread and someone took exception to it but it really is true.

It does pick up in the book after but it really dampens any enthusiasm towards it.
    Oh the food, yes! I don't bloody care that they ate pigeon in a honey and wine sauce before getting killed. Seriously, he documented every single meal. If the food references were taken out the book would have been about 200 pages shorter! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

"In Harm's Way". Harrowing true story of the US Battleship Indianapolis which was sunk by a japanese Sub in WW2. 900 survived the initial sunking, just over 300 survived the 5 days in the open seas. It was estimated that 200 were killed by sharks.

Amazing story not just about the life/death at sea but about the politics involved in the (in my opinion) unwarranted court martial of the ship's Captain McVay.

The story, people will remember, was told by Quint in the movie Jaws.

Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

The food! Oh god the food! I was on a 4 or 5 day fast when I read A Game of Thrones and reading the descriptions of the vast feasts was painful

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer - Mark Twain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

I'm halfway through Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. Reading it in Spanish so it's taking its time. But a good read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Freedom at Midnight, Larry Collins & Dominique LaPierre.

It's very interesting, all about the partition of India and Pakistan in 1947. It's not an easy read though, so I'm progressing at snail's pace with it.

I think I might revisit Bird Song by Sebastian Faulks after that. I tried reading it last year but found it too heavy at the time but I'd like to give it another go.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

The Old Man and the Sea by Hemingway but I'm finding it hard going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭RoboRat

The Devils Star by Jo Nesbo... also reading the Art of War by ‎Sun Tzu to see what its all about!

'm halfway through Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. Reading it in Spanish so it's taking its time. But a good read.

Great book, have you read the book thief?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

RoboRat wrote: »
    Great book, have you read the book thief?

The one by Markus Zusak? I have :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I stayed up until 3am to finish reading the Book Thief, it was fantastic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

I bought it in the airport few months ago when I realized I forgot to pack my book. Had no big expectations but I enjoyed it so much. Was sorry to finish the book!

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

Just started filth by irvine welsh. Wanted to read it before I see the film. Love it so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

A Possible Life-Sebastian Faulks: It's included a concentration camp and a victorian work house so pretty grim reading so far

I stayed up until 3am to finish reading the Book Thief, it was fantastic

I had a tear in my eye and that is quite a rare occurrence (not saying that I am a man bull****, I am just not emotional)
    Just started filth by irvine welsh. Wanted to read it before I see the film. Love it so far!

BOOOONTY, cracking book. Skag heads is good too. Have you ever read any of chuck palahniuk's work? Highly recommend lullaby, choke and Rant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I just don't enjoy Haruki, I know it's my problem because everybody else just loves his work. Don't like the style at all.

How come?

Oh the food, yes! I don't bloody care that they ate pigeon in a honey and wine sauce before getting killed. Seriously, he documented every single meal. If the food references were taken out the book would have been about 200 pages shorter! :p
    It's a silly little thing but as I was reading the book something would happen and I'd think to myself, In the film this happened before the thing I read 50 pages ago. Basically the book is like a diary from x date to x date. The film jumps the stuff around.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 PhilHogan

The Art of War - Sun Tzu

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement