Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

RoboRat wrote: »
    BOOOONTY, cracking book. Skag heads is good too. Have you ever read any of chuck palahniuk's work? Highly recommend lullaby, choke and Rant.

Yeah I've read skagboys. One of those books where I enjoyed it but then instantly forgot what happened in it. Which is a bit annoying.

Haven't read any palahnuik yet but he's on the to-read list alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I had a tear in my eye and that is quite a rare occurrence (not saying that I am a man bull****, I am just not emotional)

BOOOONTY, cracking book. Skag heads is good too. Have you ever read any of chuck palahniuk's work? Highly recommend lullaby, choke and Rant.

Oh I bawled my eyes out; it killed me :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

how to shave your wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭thefireinside

Gone Girl.. It's absolutely brilliant :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I've just started Skulduggery Pleasant: Last Stand of Dead Men by Derek Landy.

I'm not far into it but I'm excited that it's the penultimate book. I found the previous book (Kingdom of the Wicked) hard going to begin with so I'm hoping it won't be the same with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

dirtyden wrote: »
    I really enjoyed Bury my heart at Wounded knee. If you like that there is a great book in a similar vein called 'Son of the morning star' it uses Custers last stand as the centrepiece but is also history of the indian wars.

I have recently started reading Max Hastings, finished Armageddon. The man know how to right history. Have read Nemesis and the Korean war history he wrote, all cracking reads.
    Bury my heart at wounded knee is a read from start to finish in one sitting book-superb .

Son of the Morning Star is one of my favourite non-fiction books really really fantastic.
    If you are interested, Washing the Spears - a history of the Zulu nation is a great read if you liked the the first two you,ll definitely enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey

My favourite book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

judgefudge wrote: »
    Just started filth by irvine welsh. Wanted to read it before I see the film. Love it so far!

I loved it but threw the book across the room when I finished it. You'll see what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

My favourite book.

Cool, I've actually never even seen the movie! So I'm going to watch that after I read the book. Only started it on the bus this morning so I'm still on the introduction!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Cool, I've actually never even seen the movie! So I'm going to watch that after I read the book. Only started it on the bus this morning so I'm still on the introduction!

I never read the introduction before the actual book, most of the time it will ruin bits of the story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

the count of monte cristo - alexander dumas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

Reading Skagboys by Irvine Welsh at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Just finished "Vietnam: The Irish Experience". Bought it after reading about the late John O sullivan here on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

A History of Medicine ~ William Byrum

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

The Good, The Bad and The Multiplex by Mark Kermode.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

delaad wrote: »
    Just finished "The Price of Power" by Pat Leahy, his account of the Coalition Govt to mid-2013. Its a good read, moving at pace and fuelled by Leahy's contention that what's going on in the background - often, chaos - is the dead exact opposite of the ordered progress the spinners would have us believe.

Would suggest that Leahy's best source is Rabbitte, purely on the basis that he has nothing bad to say about him. A quote from Rabbitte indeed is the title for his final chapter.

Having read it, I would be hard pressed to name the 15? Cabinet members, so much of the action revolves around the 4 Panjandrums of the EMC. Power in this country, such as it is, is concentrated in the hands of a very few people. maybe 11 or 12, only 4 of which have been elected.

And the Price of Power?...., the junior partners's inevitable destruction at the next election.

Some people never learn.

Really looking forward to this book!

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    I think I might revisit Bird Song by Sebastian Faulks after that. I tried reading it last year but found it too heavy at the time but I'd like to give it another go.

I flew through Birdsong but have found every single Faulks book since to be an extremely hard slog... The desriptions of trench/tunnel existence in Birdsong are very tough going :(

I flew through Birdsong but have found every single Faulks book since to be an extremely hard slog... The desriptions of trench/tunnel existence in Birdsong are very tough going :(

Yeah I read a review that mentioned that alright; better get my steely guts ready. Definitely not the lightest of reading!

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Yeah I read a review that mentioned that alright; better get my steely guts ready. Definitely not the lightest of reading!

Visceral is the word I'd use :o

• Advertisement

Visceral is the word I'd use :o

Oh dear...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭rozeboosje

I'm reading a book about the cat's genome. I'm at the bit where it goes CATCATCATCAT it's hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭rock chic

Shivers26 wrote: »
    I have been reading the Gone series by Michael Grant. Apparently they are aimed at teenagers but I found a lot of stuff in them fairly gruesome. It would be a bit like Lord of the Flies crossed with X-Men. I'm on the last book now, I've enjoyed them.
    finished the last 1 in june loved them should be made into a series or films :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

SeaFields wrote: »
    Just finished "Vietnam: The Irish Experience". Bought it after reading about the late John O sullivan here on boards

I read this book about 2 years ago, it was an excellent read. RTE broadcast a documentary called The Green Fields of Vietnam about Irish soldiers that fought in the Vietnam War back in about 2005 I think. We will probably never know the true numbers of Irish soldiers that fought in the war because a lot of them were listed as being American.

At the moment I'm reading Con Cremin: Ireland's Wartime Diplomat. So far I'm finding it interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

Great book, have you read the book thief?

Yeah I liked The Shadow of the Wind (Carlos Ruiz Zafón). Thief seems to be a similar read.

I am now attempting the famous Dracula in preparation for halloween ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I am now attempting the famous Dracula in preparation for halloween ;)
    Such a great book.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Who dafuq spends that much time at the bank machine??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I just finished The Shining, thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

Currenty working my way through A Story or Swords, and Japanese from Zero 1. Next on the to-read pile is Bram Stokers, Dracula.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

I've two on the go at the minute: Atomic by Jim Baggott (a really interesting read) and Mailan Kundera's Farewell Waltz

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement