Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Magician

Loving it, great read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

The Price of Power by Pat Leahy.
    Great insight into the machinations of the current government.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Downturn Abbey - Ross O'Carroll-Kelly. I still love these books :)
    Is it good? I didn't rush to buy the last couple of books as soon as they were out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Reading 'Guards, Guards!' by Terry Pratchet. Read most of the Discworld books but I didn't start from the first. So the book is reading like a prequel/flashback to me which is actually kind of cool. Real interesting seeing Vimes back in his drunken spineless days after it being referenced in the later books, and being able to contrast it with how far he comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

strobe wrote: »
    Reading 'Guards, Guards!' by Terry Pratchet. Read most of the Discworld books but I didn't start from the first. So the book is reading like a prequel/flashback to me which is actually kind of cool. Real interesting seeing Vimes back in his drunken spineless days after it being referenced in the later books, and being able to contrast it with how far he comes.

The Night Watch and the Witches were always my favourite of the Discworld stories. Although I haven't read any of them since Soul Music. Must actually catch up on the last 15ish years :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Barna77 wrote: »
    Is it good? I didn't rush to buy the last couple of books as soon as they were out.

I enjoyed it more than the previous two. It's not as good as the earlier ones, but it's entertaining and quite funny in parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

no irish,no blacks,no dogs - john lydon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

About to start Slaughterhouse 5

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

--Kaiser-- wrote: »

Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

--Kaiser-- wrote: »

Great book, read it in a day myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Dara O Briain's "Tickling The English". Very funny and informative look at the idiosyncrasities of British life.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

beano345 wrote: »
    no irish,no blacks,no dogs - john lydon

Gread read. Love the way he lets other people from the time give their version of events in their own words.

Lydon was on a new music doc on TG4 the other night called Guth talking about a lot of the stuff in this book. The series is about musicians with Irish roots - Lydon, Gallaghers, Smiths.

The Lydon episode is repeated tonight on TG4 at midnight. It's well worth a watch if you are enjoying the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Ihatehalloween

I was reading "Inferno" by Dan Brown but had to give up on it as it appeared all he was doing was making the reader aware of how much he knew about the city of Florence. Shame really as I enjoyed all his other novels.

I think I will give Stephen Kings "Under the dome" a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

strobe wrote: »

Yeah I love Guards!Guards!. For anybody who's interested in reading Discworld books and put off by the number of books I would recommend this as great start point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

'The Railway Man' by Eric Lomax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Upon the Midnight Clear by Sherrilyn Kenyon. Pure cheese but I love them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I was reading "Inferno" by Dan Brown but had to give up on it as it appeared all he was doing was making the reader aware of how much he knew about the city of Florence. Shame really as I enjoyed all his other novels.

Forget under the dome and get started on 11/22/63 now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

Forget under the dome and get started on 11/22/63 now.

Forget 11/22/63 and get under the dome................half way thru, v good

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

Dr. Sleep by Stephen King

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Just finished "The Wisdom of Psychopaths" by Kevin Dutton.

Interesting in places but, while referencing some interesting studies, read as if it were simply the author thinking out loud as oppose to presenting current understandings of psychopathy.

Also, too much "look at how cool psychopaths are!" for me.

Starting "The Emotional Life of Your Brain" by Richard Davidson.

Not far into it but it makes some serious claims so I'm intrigued to see if it can follow through. It might be too early to say but I suspect it's going to be a less theoretical and more applied version of Ekman's "Emotions Revealed" (assuming it keeps it's promises).

• Advertisement

judgefudge wrote: »
    Dr. Sleep by Stephen King

100 pages in myself.

For those thinking of reading,i'd highly recommend you read the shining first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

100 pages in myself.

Am reading The Shining at the moment to refresh my mind before Dr Sleep:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Not far into By The Light Of The Moon by Dean Koontz. Can never really go wrong with him i find.

Just finished A Darkness More Than Night by Michael Connelly. That was an excellent read.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

did the same my self holy mother or god would he just tel the story and not every little detail about the city of Florence.

just downloaded
    ]Joint Enterprise (The Romney and Marsh Files)

by oliver tidy

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

100 pages in myself.

How you finding it? I'm about half way through. Really enjoying it, I nearly always enjoy Kings books but I'm just worried he's going to mess up the ending.

And yeah I'd second reading the Shining first.

judgefudge wrote: »
    How you finding it? I'm about half way through. Really enjoying it, I nearly always enjoy Kings books but I'm just worried he's going to mess up the ending.

And yeah I'd second reading the Shining first.

It has the pace of the old king (as have most of his recent books thank god),i'm not far in enough to give it a full go ahead but so far so bloody good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

Just started an autobiography of Albert Einstein, quite good so far.
    And The hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy.

Read The Gypsy Boy before that. Flew through it. Very interesting insight into the life of gypsies, can't remember the last time a book made me so angry.

The Snowman by Jo Nesbo

What do you think of it?

Reading Grimms Fairytales at the moment, bit childish I know but it was mentioned on a thread somewhere on boards that many of the versions of fairytales we're familiar with e.g. Cinderella are alot different now to what they were written as due to time and Disney changing them so decided to read the originals. Alot darker then you'd expect for childrens stories, also no mention of a fairy godmother in Cinderella, feel so cheated!

I love the Grimms! And Andersen. I grew up on those and still have a soft spot for children's books. The Disney versions are fine but they are so sugar coated, yuck. e.g. I prefer "our" version of Cinderella ("Three hazelnuts for C." to be precise), which is again different from Grimms if I remember correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

czechlin wrote: »
    What do you think of it?

Is that the one involving the salvation army?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement