Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

Emma by Jane Austen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,695 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

The Whisperers: Private life in Stalin's Russia

It is an amazing book about the lives of ordinary people under a dictatorship. It's source material is thousands of personal documents, letters, memoirs and photographs discovered and collated by a team of university researchers.

Surviving family members and relatives were located and interviewed by the researchers to put context and history to their stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

House of Leaves.

It's messing with my head.

It does that - you may be looking over your shoulder when alone for... the rest of your life :(

One of my favourite books of all time! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Finished 'This Boy's Life' (Tobias Wolff), which I enjoyed.

Starting 'The Rum Diaries' (Hunter S Thompson)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I kind of left Under the Dome aside for a while. RTÉ keeps spoiling it :mad: so I finally started American Psycho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Barna77 wrote: »
    I kind of left Under the Dome aside for a while. RTÉ keeps spoiling it :mad: so I finally started American Psycho.
    The TV series is very different from the book. It's really only loosely based on it from what I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

"Seeds of Corruption". Its the 4th book in "The Awakened" series by Jason Tesar. Really good imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭blue note

The Long Walk - Stephen King.

Excellent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

A good bit of the way through " long walk to freedom" Nelson Mandela's autobiography. Excellent so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Dr Sleep, couldn't wait to get it, so far not disappointed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭baron von something

just finished the first law trilogy by joe abercrombie.amazing books.apparently book1 is also out in graphic novel form.must check that out

now i'm finally reading The Republic of Thieves - Scott Lynch.the publication date kept getting pushed back and pushed back.anyway,what am i doing here. i'm away to finish it

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭rosb

Brooklyn by Colm Toibin - just finishing, excellent

Starting next Notes from an exhibition by Patrick Gale

Over weekend read The Spinning Heart by Donal Ryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭BlurstMonkey

just finished the first law trilogy by joe abercrombie.amazing books.apparently book1 is also out in graphic novel form.must check that out

now i'm finally reading The Republic of Thieves - Scott Lynch.the publication date kept getting pushed back and pushed back.anyway,what am i doing here. i'm away to finish it

Wait. What. Really? I was waiting so long for that I forgot about it. It had better be a country mile better than the second installment. That thing read like bad fan fic, it was a shocking decline after the quality of Lies.

If you liked the First Law then you'll definitely enjoy Best Served Cold. It's better again.

Currently reading Neal Stephensons Baroque cycle. Pretty god damn magnificent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

The Boys from Brazil by Ira Levin. I watched the movie years ago and never realised it was originally a book until I saw in the bookshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Doggggggg the bounttttty hunt-aaaaaaa's book.

Entertaining

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Just finished shadow of the hegemon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

The Rocky Road - Eamonn Dunphy
    (biography)

A Long Walk with Lord Conway - Simon Thompson
    (an exploration of the Alps and an English adventurer)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Ice Storm wrote: »
    The TV series is very different from the book. It's really only loosely based on it from what I've seen.

In what way?(no Wikipedia now)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

Reading Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris.
    Haven't got anything new to read so had to reach into the bookshelves for an oldie.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Renegade by Robyn Young. Book 2 of a historical fiction trilogy based on the Life of Robert the Bruce. This one is heavily based in Ireland so far funnily enough.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

Dont know whether to read Atonement or extremely loud and incredibly close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Dublin 4 by Maeve Binchy.
    Great Expectations, Charles Dickens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

The True Story by Everett True.

About the Seattle music scene c. 89 and onwards, focusing on Sub Pop, Nirvana et al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Ghosts and Lightning by Trevor Byrne. Half way through. Not much happens but I'm really enjoying it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Dont know whether to read Atonement or extremely loud and incredibly close!

Atonement is an absolute chore.

Maybe women would enjoy it, but I found it monotonous and boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

"Egghead" by Bo Burnham and "Zombie Spaceship Wasteland" by Patton Oswalt. Comedy kick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

Stone Mad by Seamus Murphy. Story of a stonemasons life in Ireland in the early 20th century. Every time I pass a church now I think of all the work that went into the stonework

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Downturn Abbey - Ross O'Carroll-Kelly. I still love these books :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭DenMan

The Transformation of Ireland - 1900-2000 by Diarmaid Ferriter. Great read!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭weetiepie

diomed wrote: »
    The Rocky Road - Eamonn Dunphy
    (biography)

A Long Walk with Lord Conway - Simon Thompson
    (an exploration of the Alps and an English adventurer)

Would you recommend eamon dunphys book??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement