Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current best value Android Huawei Ascend G300

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,783 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I went back to stock ICS after using CM10.1 for a good while. CM is slick and relatively quick but not that stable - this may be partly due the bootloader unlock issue, I couldn't get Huawei to send me an official unlock code. Stock ICS is stable but slow. TBH I'm a bit sick of the phone, I'll probably replace it in the next few months with some more powerful - I'd like a phone that just works.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

loyatemu wrote: »
    I went back to stock ICS after using CM10.1 for a good while. CM is slick and relatively quick but not that stable - this may be partly due the bootloader unlock issue, I couldn't get Huawei to send me an official unlock code. Stock ICS is stable but slow. TBH I'm a bit sick of the phone, I'll probably replace it in the next few months with some more powerful - I'd like a phone that just works.

Have been using ICS B952 SLIM V13 on the phone with absolutely no issues. Have recently acquired a Quad Core phone from China, and that is the only reason I am selling the G300.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I find the MIUI roms by Geno to be the best. Currently using v5, revision 3.7.26. Its the best jb rom by far. No foreclosures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

I'm going back to AtomicMod GB - all other ICS or JB ROMs that I've run have had issues so AtomicMod is my last hope...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭purple hands

Reflashing stock+ seems to have done the trick for now, I might give that slim rom a go

• Advertisement

Reflashing stock+ seems to have done the trick for now, I might give that slim rom a go

Did you try clearing the Dalvik cache in CWM first? That often does the trick if a ROM gets a bit sluggish.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I kept running out of storage space on my phone. Yesterday I discovered that there are 'thumbnail' files in the DCIM folder that somehow had swollen up to 700mb+
    I deleted these and now I've got loads of space left
    Just a little tip to those who may have issues with storage space on yer phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

It's gotten to be only a matter of having enough $$ to get rid of this for me now. Rarely has phone signal, apps crashing all the time, slow reactions and it even heats up after a few minutes heavy use.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Jayop wrote: »
    It's gotten to be only a matter of having enough $$ to get rid of this for me now. Rarely has phone signal, apps crashing all the time, slow reactions and it even heats up after a few minutes heavy use.

Have you installed a mod?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Have you installed a mod?

I've tried them all at one time or another, I've even run FireFox OS.

I'm now on Stock+ and it's a little better but still pretty crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

girlfriends phone is also giving lots of trouble

heating up
    crashing
    lack of space

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    girlfriends phone is also giving lots of trouble

heating up
    crashing
    lack of space

Do a full backup to sd then a
    full reset. You should then find masses of space.

Or, as previously stated above, back up your media etc to sd & delete thumbnails.

Use an app like Go Task to "clean" the phone. The heat is the battery. An app like Go Power shows the batter temperature & condition.

My g300 is over a year old, packed with apps/widgets etc & it runs well - given that it's so cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Blue Crystal

Running ICS CM for nearly a year and ive had enough, phone has gone sluggish and unusable, anyone have any advice on reflashing stock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

yep, seems to have solved the problem

now to get her to stop installing silly apps

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Anyone got a usable JB ROM on this phone? or MIUI?

I presume that you've looked at MoDaCo already? There are quite a few JB/MIUI ROMs there:

http://www.modaco.com/forum/737-huawei-ascend-g300-development/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Yeah, all the JB ROMs seem to have some major functionality issues as far as I could tell but I didn't read up to the end of any of the threads. Just wondering if anyone on here had had more luck.

It's a while since I used JB (CM10.0 I think). It was OK but started to lag badly after a while and had several bugs so I ditched it for Stock+ and have been using that for a while even though it too has problems on my phone. I was thinking of trying GB B895 SuperSlim soon

http://www.modaco.com/topic/365041-gb-b895-superslim-v1/

but then browsed the CM10.2 thread and was getting a bit tempted to try that instead (or as well). If I do I'll post back if I have anything useful to report... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi Guys,

Can anyone point me in the direction of where to get an unlock code for the G300? I had this phone on my Vodafone account paying €10 a month for a basic service for my son. He then moved to a Sony Xperia Play phone and the G300 was benched. He then moved to 48months and the Xperia was lost so he now wants to use the G300 again but when I insert the 48months sim into the G300 it asks me for the "SIM network unlock PIN"

I filled in the form on the Vodafone website but it could take up to 11 working days apparently to get the code!!!

Ben

see here

it'll probably still take a couple of days.

• Advertisement

TM wrote: »
    It's a while since I used JB (CM10.0 I think). It was OK but started to lag badly after a while and had several bugs so I ditched it for Stock+ and have been using that for a while even though it too has problems on my phone. I was thinking of trying GB B895 SuperSlim soon

http://www.modaco.com/topic/365041-gb-b895-superslim-v1/

but then browsed the CM10.2 thread and was getting a bit tempted to try that instead (or as well). If I do I'll post back if I have anything useful to report... :)

I've gone back to stock GB - the phone just can't handle ICS or JB without bugs and poor performance (and I've tried a lot of different ROMs).

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Stormington

I went through these guys and they were fine: Korter gsm. I found them on ebay and they were linked to me through modaco and a thread somewhere here that I can no longer find. I paid about €6 and had my code in about 12 hours but I'd expect it to be 24 hours.

Ninja'ed by others above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

see here

it'll probably still take a couple of days.

Thanks, appreciate it.

Ben

I used Korter as well - to lock a G300 and another Huawei phone - and it was cheap and efficient.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I've gone back to stock GB - the phone just can't handle ICS or JB without bugs and poor performance (and I've tried a lot of different ROMs).

I installed the latest cyanogenmod on it, and bar a slightly slow unlock, no issues.

Which CM version and ROM?
    I presume it's from MoDaCo?
    Can you link to it please?

I never bother with a lock screen any more on any ROM - I find it pointless.
    I use the No Lock app from the Play Store to get rid of it.

I have had my g300 for over a year & it still runs fine. I am glad that I never rooted it.

It has loads of apps & widgets which, pretty much, run without any problems. I originally thought that I would keep it for a year but now I won't until I can get a phablet for a similar price.

Discodog wrote: »
    I have had my g300 for over a year & it still runs fine. I am glad that I never rooted it.
    Why? Rooting doesn't affect how it runs... :confused:

Why? Rooting doesn't affect how it runs... :confused:

There are lot of posts in this thread describing problems with ROM's & complaining that the phone is slow etc.

My experience is that it's best to use versions of apps that suit the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Which CM version and ROM?
    I presume it's from MoDaCo?
    Can you link to it please?

I never bother with a lock screen any more on any ROM - I find it pointless.
    I use the No Lock app from the Play Store to get rid of it.

10.2, here's the link.

http://www.modaco.com/topic/364708-jb-431-cyanogenmod-102-rom-nightly-builds-available/

Advertisement