Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

I only heard Vals win later,but managed to hear corkerys amazing interview.

It meant so much to her.What struck me was her hunger and Drive to push on and nt rest on laurels and win pmunster.

Vals ist win,they cd get carried away,but she dismissed it,and any celebrations,and said by thursday,it be back training,and they now had a great opportinty,must take it,they can,and they have in her words Bigger fish to fry.

My hair stood on my head.Great lnterview,she if what people are here saying that will captain cork,she will be some captain.

Breige will be cork ladies captain next year and rightly so, wasnt at her best yesterday but still popped up and kicked the winning score. Caomihe Creedon should be back into the senior fold kicked 5 points yesterday and would definitely add to the forward line for Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Anybody through some light on Ian Mcdonnell,Na Piarsaigh.The full forward.

Age ?etc

Havent noticed him before sat,but he stood out.Prob needs to tone up a bit,but a Great Paw,and willingly to get stuck in.

When i say tone up,i mean loose a fw pounds,he is strong,just a bit off the pace,it seems.Seems to have plenty of hurling.

yomtea98 wrote: »
    Well enough.Scored a few points.Lorcain was poor.Was put in full forward after half time.Missed a good few chances.Our full back was very good as was our young 17 year old corner forward and Johnny McLoughlin from the cork senior football team.Poor game though.We will have to step up to beat Fermoy but I feel we can win this whole thing

I hope ye do,Nash deserves to be hurling as long he can.Ill go to ballyhea watch that.Kanturk and Eire og,be a good curtain raiser.

Fermoy will be n a boost after the u21 beating Newtown.Eire og,are well coached under kevin murray,be a close game.

Good to hear Walsh doing good.Your a man well placed ,what are realistally chances of aidan playing hurling next year?

A lot of rubbish you cant believe in the papers.

Lorchan ,full forward?sweet jesus,thats like playing cronin cb for cork.

I do wonder at times what people thing.Crazy,no where near skill as a full forward.

slingerz wrote: »
    Breige will be cork ladies captain next year and rightly so, wasnt at her best yesterday but still popped up and kicked the winning score. Caomihe Creedon should be back into the senior fold kicked 5 points yesterday and would definitely add to the forward line for Cork

Dont know much about Creedon,but Corkery did say that she should be called up next year,code she hoped she would accept .it,in her post match interview.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

not certain of that, thought it only pertained to inter-county that was excepted? obviously he would be eligible for football despite the sending off

Its two separate competitions surely, two different clubs as well.

To be honest, Briege rarely has a poor game. Creedon was involved with Cork a few years ago, was starting and then was a sub, as far as I know she walked away from it, rather than being it being a case of the management dropping her. Door I presume would still be left open for her!

Vera Foley got player of the match - she is a super operator in the mould of Juliet Murphy, bit quieter though. Would love to see her get serious gametime next year and develop as a player

• Advertisement

No, he is suspended for the same competition - would have been sent off under contributing to a melee rule I presume. 4 week suspension inclusive of the next game - so next years senior championship I presume

I think your right,only appiles to that code and level.

Joe deane a injury doubt for sat,injured in the junior final for Glenbower in the football,Bugsie barry sent of,but eligble for the sars match.

Deane be a big loss,now with sulivan out.He could torment joe barry.

Deano has been injured a lot this year.

Whats the story with the ladies manager?not that ryan is going anywhere,but are they two year terms etc and reviewed..
    I presume you win the all ireland,youre automtaic the next year.

Like to know any diff to the mans set up

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Whats the story with the ladies manager?not that ryan is going anywhere,but are they two year terms etc and reviewed..
    I presume you win the all ireland,youre automtaic the next year.

Like to know any diff to the mans set up

All have to submit their names to the county board by a certain date - All Ireland managers can ask to stay on, other candidates must be nominated by a club - they made a right mess of it last year though with things, so hopefully next year will be better!

All have to submit their names to the county board by a certain date - All Ireland managers can ask to stay on, other candidates must be nominated by a club - they made a right mess of it last year though with things, so hopefully next year will be better!

Sounds democratic to a point compared to the mens fiasco.

Who has the final say?sec of the board or a vote.

Sounds democratic to a point compared to the mens fiasco.

Who has the final say?sec of the board or a vote.

GPC nominate, and I think the floor has to ratify their decision

• Advertisement

GPC nominate, and I think the floor has to ratify their decision

Sounds a lot more democratic,compared to the mens ,with the three wise men on most committees.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

I hope ye do,Nash deserves to be hurling as long he can.Ill go to ballyhea watch that.Kanturk and Eire og,be a good curtain raiser.

Fermoy will be n a boost after the u21 beating Newtown.Eire og,are well coached under kevin murray,be a close game.

Good to hear Walsh doing good.Your a man well placed ,what are realistally chances of aidan playing hurling next year?

A lot of rubbish you cant believe in the papers.

Lorchan ,full forward?sweet jesus,thats like playing cronin cb for cork.

I do wonder at times what people thing.Crazy,no where near skill as a full forward.
    I think he will play both.He is good enough to do so.He would add a lot to the team.In all honesty I don't know at this stage and I wouldn't think he has decided yet but probably thought about it.We will have to wait and see

I think he will play both.He is good enough to do so.He would add a lot to the team.In all honesty I don't know at this stage and I wouldn't think he has decided yet but probably thought about it.We will have to wait and see
    Sound lad.

He is a terrific hurler,just needs time with it.

Id love to see him do both ,him and paudie back,instead of cussen and naughton,a world of difference.

Stronger before a ball is even thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Its two separate competitions surely, two different clubs as well.

seperate competitions but same code and i would imagine the players must behave for the college/divisions as they would they're club otherwise their actions may go unpunished as they would never be too inclined to either college or division

To be honest, Briege rarely has a poor game. Creedon was involved with Cork a few years ago, was starting and then was a sub, as far as I know she walked away from it, rather than being it being a case of the management dropping her. Door I presume would still be left open for her!

didnt hear breige's interview but creedon was the standout player on the field for me. Orla cotter was good for inch also. creedon's ability to kick scores stood out i reckon she would still be a good option in the full forward line for cork i know nothing about how things went with them for her previously though

Vera Foley got player of the match - she is a super operator in the mould of Juliet Murphy, bit quieter though. Would love to see her get serious gametime next year and develop as a player

Vera is a good player alright all action and a fierce engine for getting up and down the pitch. very slight in stature and strength when compared to some of the girls involved at senior level but she deserves some game time with them for certain

International rules squad has been announced, with Aidan Walsh named as vice captain, with Michael Shields and Ciaran Sheehan also making the squad

Five games left,six teams it will be interesting to see what the end of the year throws up for cork players wise.
    Looking at the teams remaining,its hard to tell,which team winning the county would benfit cork most.

Sarsfields,bar what we know in O Sullivan,and Kearney,two outstanding hurlers,who will start,have nothing new to offer cork.They have solid club players,all can be great on their day,but not another level in them.

Alan kennedy ,is way behind,Nash,mccarthy,young patrick collins etc.

Not the most reliabe either.

Joe barry isnt an intercounty full back.
    Ray ryan,daniel roche ,tadhg og murphy ,eoin o sullivan have all been on senior teams and u21 and not up to standard.,required.
    Fine at club level,but thats their limit.
    Cian mac,is a sub if even that.
    Quigley is a wexford man.

Cussen doesnt need explaining.

Fraggie a fine player,great captain servant of cork,and a unsung hero in 2004 and 2005,,.but not a future player.

Bishopstown have cronin,and o neill,as the two main men.

Other than that,denis crowley,honahon,and two Murrays represented various cork teams and failed to impress.

Brian muArry maybee should be watched but i remain to be convinced.

Diarmuid lyster, a fine corner back but with shane o neill,sullivan,mcdonnell,Murphy if he stays,Patrick o mahony and killan murphy we have lots ahead of him.

Midelton have luke and lehane as their men two.

Other than that,the likes of aidan ryan,o shea(a savage centre back as cork minor)have never pushed on from their underage potential.

Jamie nagle ,i would love to see in the cork panel,one of the few successes under walsh ,a very good u21 in 2011,and good in league against tipp ,and also in the championship ,is a great man under a high ball,and tough and abravisve.

The likes of haughney,not good enough,struggled at u21,, afraid of physicalitiy.

Bud hartnett,the same,lovely wristy hurler,but lacks the toughness mentally and physically ,and is very similar to what cork already have,in coughlan,moylan,paudie etc,but not as good.Maybee he will prove me wrong.He was on the panel of 32 this year.

Alan cadogan who is nailed on to be on the cork panel next year,was on the 32 this year ,still u21,a savage talent,as shown sunday, very tough and brave ,and works as hard off the ball as he does on it.Has the spark of the brother also,will be ahead of bud.He needs to choose between both codes,will play u21 football next spring,but in the future needs to commit to one.
    He will go hurling ,I think.He would find it harder to break in to the footballers.

Killeagh dont have anything to offer bar eoghan kinery.Mikey byrne ,a panelist in 2006 hasnt improved to warrant a recall.

Bugsie barry,a top club player ,but thats it.

Kinery family are horsey people as far as I am aware,,hes cousins are flat jockeys in Uk.

It shows,as the young lad ,strong as an ox,but lots of hurling,great techinque.

Ballymartlye ,the corry brothers,are fine club players,but Brian has been on the cork panel up to may since 2009,and coudnt make it.

Seamus was okay as an u21,but limited.

Darren mccarthy our sub keeper,is a top forward,will make the club team of the year ,second year in a row i feel,and is worth a look outfield,if nothing shows up.

Rickard cahalane, a minor this year,very hard working ,should be watched.

Na piarsaigh have Darren Mannix at full back,but being around for nine years,and coudnt make it before wnt this time.Good at club.Not the man Cork need though.

Joyce is their to stay,but as proven again sat,aint a midfield man,as lacks real pace as shown also last year against newtown, when jerry o connor burned him.He doesnt have the accrucay either.

A centre back,but Gardiner in that role at club aint helping him.Joyce needs to be centre.

Ronan mcgregor panelist 2006,,is hardly going to make it now.

Padraig gould i rate,would like to see more of him.

Ian mcDonnell ,up to sat,i had nt noticed ,but i would like to see more of,if hes not too old.Im nt sure how old he is.

Eoin moyinhan a tidy corner back,but again we dnt need one.
    Seems to have the hurling for half back,very fast.Better than stephen white from what i saw.But suspect under the high ball for a half back.

Youghal or castleyons will be worth watching in munster,regards colm spillane and leigh desmond.

The next few weeks will tell us a lot of what we can add to next year panel.

The controversial league next year will have seven games,so we should have plenty of games to mix and match players.

Were not that far away at all,but Clare have another level ,and will improve.Staying at the level,were at ,wont be good enough to just compete,thats why we need new faces,and a panel that unlike last year where most of the panel in the bar moylan up front,are nt just faces in the crowd bt real game changers.

Michael cahalane wont get much exposure ,til April,as Hamilton will hardly make it from their harty cup group.

He should be watched at the moment though.
    The trend now is young minor players,moving to senior earlier than usual.

Cian lynch of limerick has bn involved with Na piarsagh senior team in limerick.

Conor twomey played senior with newtown.Eoghan kinery,development player,with killeagh.

Mark dolan,classy forward,like joe deane in size,yellow helmet,feet like a dancer ,hands like a musican,part of Douglas senior team,and came on the last day.

He was corks player of the tournament in the all ireland u17 win six weeks back,i posted.
    Mark o connor,Aron ward,minors exposed to senior this year.

Patrick collins ,played outfield with Ballinashig this year.
    Rickard cahalane with Ballymartyle.

This is good for Cork ,exposure at a higher level ,is good for the players.
    One of my concerns is the standard of the club championship is not that great or how good it is remains to be seen.

We could badly do with a munster club championship.

Paudie and possibly Walsh will be great for cork,next year.At the very least,it adds competition up front.

Sweetnham scored a try for Dolphin the weekend
    I geuinely hope he makes it at Munster,but i cant help but feel he will struggle to make the top level their,in the posistion he is in.
    What a savage loss to cork.

Im going to try and make the castetroy north mm /Ag harty cup game today.Might miss the start.

Ill post h and f time if i make it.

Has anyone got the Evening Echo from last night???

Has anyone got the Evening Echo from last night???
    Yeah i do

Level harty cup 2 min in

Ag/mon beaten 5-14 to two ten by castletroy.

Eddie Gunning at centre back,Guest,and Dane lane the best men of Ag.Lane looked very good.

Gunning ,from what i was told today will be na piarsaigh full back in years to come.Thats hes best position.Two penalties for castletroy.A good game of hurling.Hes brother Daniel, is good also,injured for today

Eddie ,and Darren o connell the goalkeeper,from the u 17 cork side ,were on the senior na piarsigh team this year and on the panel the wknd.He made some good saves.

It was mostly na piarsaigh men compared to before where it was a mix of them and the glen.

Only three glen men today.

Soft goals ,and a very light team compared to castetroy,as much younger.

But thery are very young ,had one u 14 lads that played feile,so they will be better in the future.Evan sheehan,cork u14,playing harty , against guys 18 etc.

He will become stronger physically ,but fair play to the lad at that age to play harty.Great skill with the ball.

Their still finding their feet,since they changed the school system.This is the irish school today.

Ian mcdonnell the senior na piarsaigh man is 23, and their working on hes fitness.

Could be a cork option if he gets going.

Ronan dwane from aghada and midelton cbs,interesting spectator today.

The mon,have tim lordan from courcey with them,and Liam shorten ,the cork footballers,ballingeary was their with them today.

Saw padraig gould also ,a teacher in the school their.They have a good set up.

Their building for the future.

Sean og halpin has a book out soon.

• Advertisement

I heard today that Ger cunnigham is meant to be going to limerick,with Cusack.

Whether its true,remains to be seen.It wouldnt suprise me.

I had a feeling and said it before cunnigham would be interested in the limerick job,and felt if cork had won he mas gone.

All the sheedy hype is gone ,and cunnighan and cusack would be long term,not like sheedy for the year if true.

If that is true,the cork county board should be ashamed,in letting them go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Im going to try and make the castetroy north mm /Ag harty cup game today.Might miss the start.

Ill post h and f time if i make it.

Is it not the gael scoil, a completely separate school that play the Harty. Rather than the North Mon who don't field hurling sides anymore. If they no longer go to the North Mon/Gael Scoil where do the Glen minors go to school?

Is it not the gael scoil, a completely separate school that play the Harty. Rather than the North Mon who don't field hurling sides anymore. If they no longer go to the North Mon/Gael Scoil where do the Glen minors go to school?

I will be honest willie im confused myself.

I told today its the same one o grady was principal bt now irish version.

It has been reshaped.

Id like for some one to explain it to me do.

The glen go to st aidans i think its called.Only bt 3 glen men today.

I may be wrong,but it a mixed school now.

One of sean og sisters teaches at the AG.

Cian o Neill training CIT this year.Top coach.

International rules squad has been announced, with Aidan Walsh named as vice captain, with Michael Shields and Ciaran Sheehan also making the squad

Im sceptical to be brutally honest about this Rules Lark.

Bit of unnecessary pressure we dnt need,that serves no real purpose at the end of the day,but a real real risk of injury to our top players,as the aussies will hit everything that moves,and anything that doesnt move they will make it move.

I think it should be scrapped,the sooner the better.

Walsh and sheehan will play the second test in croker,n the 26th,then the day after after to play in a intermediate club final for eire og,and probably kanturk.An uncessary risk,and burden and demand on our inter county players.

The club,the heartbeat of the gaa,suffers again if sheehan or walsh is injured.

A great honour they were picked,and im delighted for then,but the competiton is meanigless,the aussies dont take it seriously with their top players missing.

Went to the gaelic grounds couple years back,biggest waste of money i ever spent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Kanturk have a football match on the same day as the rules match against Glanmire.

Kanturk have a football match on the same day as the rules match against Glanmire.
    What a joke .Id say yere nt too happy down there?a big loss to ye.

All for a competition thats insignificant .

Glamire have a few of the sars hurlers,i presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Cian o Neill training CIT this year.Top coach.

In football or hurling? Kinda surprised to hear that given he's still involved (I hope with) Kerry.

In football or hurling? Kinda surprised to hear that given he's still involved (I hope with) Kerry.

Its not at all surprising given the man is living in Cork and is the head of the CIT's Department of Sport, Leisure, and Childhood Studies

• Advertisement

Its not at all surprising given the man is living in Cork and is the head of the CIT's Department of Sport, Leisure, and Childhood Studies
    Did u want something from the Echo?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement