Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Archer3083 wrote: »
    I don't think the format should be changed to accommodate Cork. I don't think it will make a massive difference to Cork's development in 2014. The fact that Dublin and Limerick were in Division 1A didn't affect their championship performances this year. The four semi-finalists came from the top two teams in Division 1A and the bottom two teams in Division 1. I think Clare were unlucky with certain results so that explains why they found themselves in a relegation battle. The only reason that Waterford stayed up was that Michael Ryan took the league seriously.

I wonder will Cody or Eamon Ryan take the league as seriously next year in 2014?

With the new format,it defaces the value,and back to old format where teams had two many games,involved in heavy mid spring training ,will look towards the champ,now also munst and leinster so competitve.

The current system while i agree with you teams didnt take it that seriously in the ist two games,example tipp,they all took the last two seriously ,as kk in knowlan park agains cork ,as no one wanted to be in div two.

Last year was a bit of freak in that it was a once off.I cant c two many teams outside div 2 being that successful.

Clare trained hard for the league play off,like a championship game,kept it going til may then,and by time met us,they could argue they were mentally and physically exahusted for june.

They suffered a bit for treating april like a champ game.

Id be fuming as a clare player,now,knowing they bust their balls for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

The one argument I can never accept is that there are too many games. If you look at Cork footballers this year they had 7 league games (9 if they reached semi-final and final), and in the championship Cork had 5 games this year ( 7 if they reached and played in the final). Cork hurlers had 5 games (6 because of relegation play off) and in the championship 6 including the All-Ireland final replay. That's not a huge amount of games. The players are back training from the first week of Decemeber and only play their first game in February. Then there's a sizeable break between end of league and the start of championship and then you can have a crazy situation of 5 weeks between provincial success and either a quarter-final in football or a semi-final in hurling. I think a master calendar with a league game and subsequently a championship game being played every 2-3 weeks would be more satisfactory, and would be much better for preparation by coaches.

I'm sure players would prefer more games and less training if given the choice. I know there is a separate argument with respect to club games. Time should be made for club games but surely the spacing between games at intercounty level should be structured better.

In any case, club fixtures are not going to be given any serious heed by intercounty managers. For instance, Jim McGuinness has got the ok from the Donegal county board that club games will not be played while Donegal are still involved at intercounty level. The Ulster Council may force Donegal's hand and play club games without intercounty footballers or alternatively be excluded from Ulster championship. I can't see that happening though.

The one argument I can never accept is that there are too many games. If you look at Cork footballers this year they had 7 league games (9 if they reached semi-final and final), and in the championship Cork had 5 games this year ( 7 if they reached and played in the final). Cork hurlers had 5 games (6 because of relegation play off) and in the championship 6 including the All-Ireland final replay. That's not a huge amount of games. The players are back training from the first week of Decemeber and only play their first game in February. Then there's a sizeable break between end of league and the start of championship and then you can have a crazy situation of 5 weeks between provincial success and either a quarter-final in football or a semi-final in hurling. I think a master calendar with a league game and subsequently a championship game being played every 2-3 weeks would be more satisfactory, and would be much better for preparation by coaches.

I'm sure players would prefer more games and less training if given the choice. I know there is a separate argument with respect to club games. Time should be made for club games but surely the spacing between games at intercounty level should be structured better.

In any case, club fixtures are not going to be given any serious heed by intercounty managers. For instance, Jim McGuinness has got the ok from the Donegal county board that club games will not be played while Donegal are still involved at intercounty level. The Ulster Council may force Donegal's hand and play club games without intercounty footballers or alternatively be excluded from Ulster championship. I can't see that happening though.

Cork have way more club games though.

The hurlers wnt be allowed train til jan over the training ban as we played up to sept,the footballers can start in december.

Cork have way more club games though.

The hurlers wnt be allowed train til jan over the training ban as we played up to sept,the footballers can start in december.
    Fair enough. But realistically, while Cork hurlers may not be participating in group sessions they will have individual programmes from management that they will be expected to follow during training ban. In theory the training ban is a great idea but is impractical in terms of enforcement because you can't stop individuals doing gym work. I'm not that up on their individual programmes but I'd imagine an intercounty player's diet would change very little over the 12 months.

Some interesting that I came across was the interview with MD McCawley and Ger Brennan on Second Captains last week. Seemingly the Dublin footballers were allowed to go drinking after the Kerry game. I'm sure it was a once off to blow off steam but it doesn't sound like that bad an idea to give players a night off after a big game.

Fair enough. But realistically, while Cork hurlers may not be participating in group sessions they will have individual programmes from management that they will be expected to follow during training ban. In theory the training ban is a great idea but is impractical in terms of enforcement because you can't stop individuals doing gym work. I'm not that up on their individual programmes but I'd imagine an intercounty player's diet would change very little over the 12 months.

Some interesting that I came across was the interview with MD McCawley and Ger Brennan on Second Captains last week. Seemingly the Dublin footballers were allowed to go drinking after the Kerry game. I'm sure it was a once off to blow off steam but it doesn't sound like that bad an idea to give players a night off after a big game.

Yeah i saw that where they told as a joke n lads to go gavins house.

Ah yeah in moderation its fine.A fw cork lads had a few after the ist game,nothing majior.I wouldnt begrude any player a few pints..

I missed cusack on it?any good

• Advertisement

Yeah i saw that where they told as a joke n lads to go gavins house.

Ah yeah in moderation its fine.A fw cork lads had a few after the ist game,nothing majior.I wouldnt begrude any player a few pints..

I missed cusack on it?any good
    He wasn't great. With the format of Second Captains they have 3 guests on for 10 mins or so and it's more general conversation. Then they focus on one big guest like Sonia O'Sullivan. So, Cusack was good but he didn't get much of a chance. Gooch will be a guest tonight. It's the last in the series. Only 4 episodes. It's on too late at night. I don't know why they can't put it on at 9 or 930. Surely it could slot in at that time on a Sunday night now that the The Sunday game is finished.

I can't imagine being an intercounty footballer is much fun these days. With mangers like Jim McGuinness taking the game to increasing professionalism it requires a slavish devotion from players. Every aspect of training and preparation is practiced and drilled and nothing is left to chance. Spontaneity has been taken out of the game. Naturally talented players must be frustrated. This may explain why teams have been unable to put titles back to back. The hunger is lacking. And it might be down to the fact that players do not enjoy the game at intercounty level anymore.

The hurlers seem to place a different emphasis on strength and conditioning. Cynicism and off the ball antics haven't crept into hurling to the same extent as football and players seem to be able to express themselves as individuals more. There's still a great deal of flair in hurling. Some of the points and goals that have been scored this year is down to sheer individual brilliance. Conor Lehane's goal in the first All-Ireland final was a thing of brilliance. He collected that ball around the middle and went on an incredible run. That would never happen in football and wouldn't be allowed by the opposition or even the team manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Chemistry3

GOALS.....GOALS......jammy goals to leave in...Shane O' Neill was at fault in the 5 goals(3 Conor O Sullivan), to have been so close and score 3-16 both days(which would have won half of the finals the last decade...is some achievement from a team of hurlers that were expected to be dead and buried by Kilkenny.

In the replay, the 5th goal should have been disallowed, did we hit more wides than 1st final?Horgan in 1st half should have got a penalty, Nash should have had his free on 21 also. ..small details that would have got us over the line...even without the sloppy goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭shockframe

I can't imagine being an intercounty footballer is much fun these days. With mangers like Jim McGuinness taking the game to increasing professionalism it requires a slavish devotion from players. Every aspect of training and preparation is practiced and drilled and nothing is left to chance. Spontaneity has been taken out of the game. Naturally talented players must be frustrated. This may explain why teams have been unable to put titles back to back. The hunger is lacking. And it might be down to the fact that players do not enjoy the game at intercounty level anymore.

The hurlers seem to place a different emphasis on strength and conditioning. Cynicism and off the ball antics haven't crept into hurling to the same extent as football and players seem to be able to express themselves as individuals more. There's still a great deal of flair in hurling. Some of the points and goals that have been scored this year is down to sheer individual brilliance. Conor Lehane's goal in the first All-Ireland final was a thing of brilliance. He collected that ball around the middle and went on an incredible run. That would never happen in football and wouldn't be allowed by the opposition or even the team manager.

Dont be so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Chemistry3 wrote: »
    GOALS.....GOALS......jammy goals to leave in...Shane O' Neill was at fault in the 5 goals(3 Conor O Sullivan), to have been so close and score 3-16 both days(which would have won half of the finals the last decade...is some achievement from a team of hurlers that were expected to be dead and buried by Kilkenny.

In the replay, the 5th goal should have been disallowed, did we hit more wides than 1st final?Horgan in 1st half should have got a penalty, Nash should have had his free on 21 also. ..small details that would have got us over the line...even without the sloppy goals.

Small margins but in fairness we werent good enough. We hadnt the quality on the field like Clare have. We did very well to stay with them on both games despite being the poorer team. Other teams would fold but like i said here before Cork usually dont die in All Ireland Finals without a fight. Clare were made earn their All Ireland which is the way it should be. Cork gave it everything they had. Unfortuntely it wasnt good enough but no shame in that. If we are good enough and find a few new players, who knows ??? what might happen next year and in the future. We need to start winning silverware be it munster or league titles. It looks bleak now but look what jim mcguinness did with Donegal after 2010. I reckon JBM will be even more determined next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Blue Magic

558329_334022403411008_1916725190_n.jpg

Blue Magic wrote: »
    558329_334022403411008_1916725190_n.jpg
    Brillant lad presume u can order them sumwhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Blue Magic

Brillant lad presume u can order them sumwhere?

They're class alright.

They're up for a competition on that Nash Facebook page with 20,000+ followers!

"Nash on the "1 - 12 on the line" the page is called... Or something like that

Blue Magic wrote: »
    They're class alright.

They're up for a competition on that Nash Facebook page with 20,000+ followers!

"Nash on the "1 - 12 on the line" the page is called... Or something like that

Thanks blue class man

Nine cork all star nominatons ,to be named Nov 6
    Nash
    O neill
    Murphy
    Sullivan
    Kearney
    Harnedy
    Lehane
    Cronin
    Horgan

Nash nominated for hurler of the year.

At least out of this 45 were not embarrased like the u21 awards,with zero cork nominated

CAN WE ADD SOME DUALS TO THE CROWN?

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 03, 2013

DESPITE their inspirational efforts this summer, and the fact they were agonisingly close to being All-Ireland champions, the Cork hurlers need to bolster their squad for 2014.
    The panel is young and gifted, but is lacking a bit of physicality to strengthen the half-back line and direct, powerful attackers to compliment mercurial hurlers like Patrick Horgan and Conor Lehane.
    Imagine if Aidan Walsh or Ciarán Sheehan had been contesting Anthony Nash’s puck-outs last weekend.
    If Eoin Cadogan and Damien Cahalane had been around to thunder into Pat Donnellan charged up the centre to tee-up Shane O’Donnell’s opening goal.
    If Paudie O’Sullivan had been breaking from deep to feed off Pa Cronin on the edge of the square.
    While the buzz is back with Cork hurling, the reality is the team won’t find the path to redemption straightforward. This isn’t like 2003 when you could be certain the Rebels would return with a vengeance.
    Kilkenny, Tipp and Clare are ahead of Cork in the betting for Liam MacCarthy 2014, while Dublin are in a strong position too. The base is there for Cork to be champions, but they require re-enforcements.
    That means recruiting some of the talented dual players in the football ranks for next season. It’s not ideal, indeed it might not even work out given the pressure Eoin Cadogan was under as a fully-fledged Cork dual defender in 2011 and 2012, but it’s a risk you can be sure Jimmy Barry-Murphy and his selectors would be willing to take.
    There are few if any hidden gems on the club scene in Cork that haven’t been given an opportunity to impress. The best U21s, Chris Joyce, Conor Lehane and Jamie Coughlan, are already established seniors.
    Rob O’Shea, Alan Cadogan, Colm Spillane and Patrick O’Mahony were also on the fringes of the side over the summer, with Eoin’s younger brother Alan, a nimble corner-forward, likely to see action in the league next year.
    Spillane, Mark Ellis, Eoin Keane and Killian Murphy (a late sub last Saturday against Clare) will be eager to push for berths in a defence that wasn’t mean or dominant enough in the air in the All-Ireland deciders. But let’s not underestimate the step up.
    Joyce is developing into a decent half-back, despite being hampered by featuring in minor and U21 sides that didn’t get out of the province, but it hasn’t been a seamless transition to senior. And he’s a much more vaunted prospect than the other young defenders.
    All indications are that Walsh and Sheehan, who trained behind closed doors with the hurlers in recent weeks, will be attempting to marry hurling and football from next spring. It would be a serious boost for JBM and his selectors, even though there’s absolutely no guarantee it will work.
    Both are unproven against the best defenders (Sheehan only played once for Cork U21s due to injury), and hurl with intermediate clubs.
    However they have shown flashes of brilliance at minor, U21 and third level though. They’re strong and have the experience of being All-Ireland winners with the footballers, which is sorely lacking due to the underage malaise.
    For Cadogan and Cahalane the situation is more complex.
    Cadogan plumped for football last winter, after an iffy 2012 championship with the hurlers and an All-Star nominated one with the big ball, but his reward was his worst season with the footballers. However a serious Achilles injury that meant he should have been on the treatment table rather than in the number four jersey anyway.
    Just turned 27 he could attempt the dual mandate again, but if he’s to make a claim for the centre-back spot again, he’ll probably need to switch from football to hurling fully. Is that a call he’s willing to, or should, risk?
    Many, and not just the west Cork contingent, would argue that, fully fit, he’s a superior football.
    Cahalane is another player that is more proven as a footballer and hampered by injury. After Castlehaven clash with Nemo in the county football final on Sunday week he’s scheduled for operations on both his hips. Only 21 since August, to be suffering with such a chronic problem at such a young age is alarming.
    Could he combine hurling and football for Castlehaven, the Barrs and Cork? His recovery time might dictate it, though coming out of the U21 ranks will lessen the demands on him.
    At least JBM knows Paudie O’Sullivan will be ready for road, and aged 25 desperate to put his second major injury behind him and deliver on the All-Star promise he showed as a minor.
    If the management had all the players at their disposal at the outset of the league, ruling out Cahalane through injury and veteran Brian Murphy on the basis he’ll be eased back in, the team could look something like this:
    Anthony Nash; Conor O’Sullivan, Stephen McDonnell, Shane O’Neill; Chris Joyce, Eoin Cadogan, Lorcan McLoughlin; Daniel Kearney, Pa Cronin; Seamus Harnedy, Paudie O’Sullivan, Aidan Walsh; Patrick Horgan, Ciaran Sheehan, Conor Lehane.

That leaves William Egan, Jamie Coughlan, Luke O’Farrell, Cian McCarthy and Stephen Moylan as impact subs. The Cork panel suddenly looks a whole lot stronger…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Poor article.Sure if we had Christy Ring we would be a lot stronger.Please god McDonnell will not play full back again.Ellis doesn't get a look in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Horse84

I agree, a poor article. He was challenged on it and he says "his sources are good" and to "have faith" but admitted the players themselves had said nothing.
    A load of hot air if u ask me and it's getting kinda boring at this stage particularly with the talk of cahalane, who at this stage will be lucky to play anything for a long while and cadogan might've burnt his bridges I think, not convinced of him at this level as a hurler anyway

yomtea98 wrote: »
    Poor article.Sure if we had Christy Ring we would be a lot stronger.Please god McDonnell will not play full back again.Ellis doesn't get a look in

Brutal team i agree.
    Cronin hasnt pace for midfield.
    Paudie is nt a cf.

And like u said mcdonnel awful ful back.

Ellis aint good enough for this level

Championship draw on now at 7pm on RTE 2

• Advertisement

Cork v waterford then clare

Good draw,wdnt fair waterford.

Clare is tough but the time to get them is now without a game,and its nt as bad to be beaten in a semi than ist round.

An awful draw for limerick.They better have a good manager as tipp will be much much better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Warm up game then Clare.....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

as a clareman, hope davy can get the lads fired up for cork again. they'll be pumped for revenge. and all those 5 past nash jokes aren't going to do us any favours when he's running up for a 21/14 yard free!

Theres been so much said ,its hard to know what to believe,but walsh said in july,couldnt do both , if in dublin, if he was in cork yes.

Cahalane,like Horse is,and i have said will be lucky to play football next year.

He would make it as a hurler,as a full back.He is mean,tough,cynical and can boss the square has done it instead of eoin keane for the barrs,while he was injured.

Marked downes brillanty in 2011.

As a full back in football hes instinct is to attack and it has been hes weakness,but at full back in hurling he doesnt nd to.
    Injury rules him out.

Walsh is the only one i want,as he has the hurling.

Sheehan has strengths bt i have said before,their is a lot of hype ,unproven yet,bar minor hasnt had much hurling.

With hes injury record i hope he wnt do both.

Our most creative and natural footballer,vital to cork to win sam.

He could get injured doing both.
    Lee chin,said he couldnt do both next year,i doubt sheehan can.

Imagine loosing in the football,playing a qualifer on a sat ngt ,in ulster at 7, not home til after midnight,then a munster hurling final on a sunday at 4.

Cant be done.

You would get away with one dual player,but to have two would affect both grades,and is a serious shift of power back away from football,and the new man in must now contend with not having full access to both.

He is already trying to make up lost ground from counihan aera, so im nt sure hed be happy.I would allow walsh,as he was always hurling,but be admant walsh stays at one.

Cadogan would be ideal ,and considereding he was hurling,firstly,would prefer if he went to hurling.I say he sticks to the hurling.

We have players,that could replace him in football,next year.

The last thing we need is a couple of dual players.

If we got aidan walsh we would be in great shape,as he could play midfield,a fine partner for kearney,a mix of strength,guile,pace and athleticsim,with lorchan free at half back.

The panel could be added to with,alan cadogan,michael cahalane ,pa o callaghan ,leigh desmond,all serious aggressive hurlers with lots of skill.

Eoin keane,or colm spillane,let them fight for the full back job.

Patrick o mahony as proven for the u21 when bill walsh destroyed him,is not a natural full back.

Ciaran sheehan,sweetnahm,and a host of clare lads have played with cork at the age of 18 etc,so age shouldnt be a problem with our talents.

Much better to have a young talent,that you can work with and develop over time,than the likes of the cussens,corrys,naughtons,ellis etc that have been around for a while and just dont have the next level.

Ellis is very similar to ross cashman.

I watched the replay again,and while i thought stephen white done good,he did,the amount of poor passes he gave was alarming.

I think he a fine club hurler,good at cit,but im nt sure hes an intercounty hurler.

There is a presumption being made that players will be allowed to choose to be dual stars. I doubt the new Cork football manager or JBM will give players the choice to play both. I'd imagine that managers will say pick one and stick with your choice.

I think we need to forget about the 2013 championship now and talk of revenge. All the teams in Munster will want to win a Munster medal, so there's no need for extra motivation for Cork, Clare, Waterford or Tipperary. You'd fancy Tipperary to beat Limerick and get to the final in 2014 because the game will be played in Thurles. On the other side of the draw it's hard to know if a warm up game with Waterford will be of any use to Cork. Afterall, Cork didn't mind the 7 week break from the relegation match to meeting Clare in the Munster semi-final this year. It looks like Cork will beat Waterford and I think it will be a toss of coin between Clare and Cork for the other final spot. Waterford could realistically come back better depending on their new manager and routing out a few new players. Maybe even John Mullane might come back. Simple fact is that unless you have a crystal ball, you're not going to be able to predict the 2014 Munster champions.

In the football, it's going to be Cork v Kerry final, and then either a round 4 qualifier or a quarter final. Ultimately, Donegal, Tyrone, Mayo, Cork, Kerry and Dublin will be in the quarter-finals and that's when the championship will start in earnest.

There is a presumption being made that players will be allowed to choose to be dual stars. I doubt the new Cork football manager or JBM will give players the choice to play both. I'd imagine that managers will say pick one and stick with your choice.

I think we need to forget about the 2013 championship now and talk of revenge. All the teams in Munster will want to win a Munster medal, so there's no need for extra motivation for Cork, Clare, Waterford or Tipperary. You'd fancy Tipperary to beat Limerick and get to the final in 2014 because the game will be played in Thurles. On the other side of the draw it's hard to know if a warm up game with Waterford will be of any use to Cork. Afterall, Cork didn't mind the 7 week break from the relegation match to meeting Clare in the Munster semi-final this year. It looks like Cork will beat Waterford and I think it will be a toss of coin between Clare and Cork for the other final spot. Waterford could realistically come back better depending on their new manager and routing out a few new players. Maybe even John Mullane might come back. Simple fact is that unless you have a crystal ball, you're not going to be able to predict the 2014 Munster champions.

In the football, it's going to be Cork v Kerry final, and then either a round 4 qualifier or a quarter final. Ultimately, Donegal, Tyrone, Mayo, Cork, Kerry and Dublin will be in the quarter-finals and that's when the championship will start in earnest.

Coudnt agree more,that the media presuming to assume that cuthbhert would allow four guys to do both.

Thats a quarter of a team.Madness and robbing the rich to give to the poor.

Walsh is the only one realstically.

The waterford game,is ideal,it gives us time to blow out the cowwbes and give players championship debuts.

Waterford will be tough,those games are alwasys close,but our style suited to them,and we have better forwards.

The key will be who is their manager.Kevin ryan,id be fearful of,but the other names would me nt fear them.

They have talent,but need the right manager to utilse them.

A game before clare is ideal.

Out of tipp and clare,i wanted waterford first up.

Its better to have a game up first,when we will be more than likely trying out a new full back.

Id much rather be up against shane walsh than shane o donnell in my debut.

The brick,moran etc all getting old now.

They have some fine hurlers ,in shanahan,fives with ucc,connorr,jake dillion etc.

Its not that i think waterford are soft,just tome much better than a tipp,or clare ist round.

The football is handy ,in fairness.

Kerry be a huge game.

Cork need to start beating them now,as yes they have to rebuild,bt i think in 3 years or less,they will be a new force.

Why?

They have jack in minor ,and darragh at u21,with tomas o sea nursing a lot of their talents in ucc,that always had a huge kerry playing base.

O sea going their will be like ucc ,in what it has done for the hurlers.

Clare were in a far worse place than kerry football is now in 2008, hadnt won a minor or u21 in 8 years,had a team that woudnt play for mike mac,and were nearly beaten by carlow.

Five years later,four all ireland titles,and runners up in one.

Kerry have and always will ,have natural talent.

After a few years of neglect at underage,they now have a platform for the future.Three years at most i give them,to be back.Thats why we must take advanatage in cork next july.

I guarantee you kerry have a bright future,with a very good backroom team.

Cork have an excellent u21 set up,but have a big ask to beat kerry in kerry.

The minor set up,is farcial ,ten steps backwards.

The senior set up,while cuthbert cd do a job,the set up of the backroom team will be crucial.

Our future is uncertain with the football.

I don't think Kerry will be back that quickly. You're presuming that Cork won't unearth more underage talent while Kerry will. I think myself that Kerry had an exceptional team from 2004 up to 2009. They peaked some where in that period and have just failed in recent years, especially poor in 2010 and 2012. I think Kerry will find younger players but not of the same calibre of the players that they have lost and are losing. For instance, they still haven't found a player as good in the middle as Darragh O Sé. It's hard to see another Gooch coming along, or defenders of the quality and sheer grit and determination of Tomás and Marc O Sé. I think Cork will dominate Munster for the next 4-5 years, maybe a bit like 1987 -1990. Cork will definitely win in Pairc Ui Chaoimh next July. It's the following year in Fitzgerald stadium that will prove to be a more of a challenge for the new manager. I'd say, and I might be wrong, no manager since Billy Morgan has beaten Kerry in Fitzgeral stadium in the championship

I don't think Kerry will be back that quickly. You're presuming that Cork won't unearth more underage talent while Kerry will. I think myself that Kerry had an exceptional team from 2004 up to 2009. They peaked some where in that period and have just failed in recent years, especially poor in 2010 and 2012. I think Kerry will find younger players but not of the same calibre of the players that they have lost and are losing. For instance, they still haven't found a player as good in the middle as Darragh O Sé. It's hard to see another Gooch coming along, or defenders of the quality and sheer grit and determination of Tomás and Marc O Sé. I think Cork will dominate Munster for the next 4-5 years, maybe a bit like 1987 -1990. Cork will definitely win in Pairc Ui Chaoimh next July. It's the following year in Fitzgerald stadium that will prove to be a more of a challenge for the new manager. I'd say, and I might be wrong, no manager since Billy Morgan has beaten Kerry in Fitzgeral stadium in the championship

Its not simply a case of talent on a conveour belt.That is their in cork.I dont doubt it.

My concern like the hurling,is the talent is wasted with inept, clueless,stone age managers that believe Back in the day,it worked,it will work now.

I wouldnt even think cork will dominate ,when we are unsure themake up of the management set up.

Kerry are not in competion with any other sport really,the talent is their,and work is now starting at schools etc.

Cork never evolve.Our board think that the success in football wil just keep happening,without putting in the structures.

Clare continually with seanie mcmahon and jamsie ,are reviewing their underage structure.And their winning.

• Advertisement

I agree. It will all depend on the management team. I just think that the current Cork panel with a couple of exceptions are the most under utilized panel in the country. I'm sure James Horan or Jim McGuinness and possibly Eamon Fitzmaurice would be happy to swap their panels for the Cork one if that were possible. The panel of players are there. Cork are the only team in my opinion that can justifiably compete with Dublin.

The one thing that's always annoyed me over the last 5 years is this statement that Kerry have the best front six forwards in Gaelic football. Colm O'Neill and Ciaran Sheehan are exceptional talents and Hurley has really stepped up this year. Goulding and Kelly have been a bit indifferent in recent years but with the exception of Gooch, I'd be just as happy with the Cork forwards. The one thing that makes the Kerry forwards look better is their style of play. Cork can easily play as good as Kerry if they're coached in the same manner. In fact, most people in West and North Cork would prefer Kerry style of play and will be happy Counihan's slow, hand-passing, running game is gone!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement