Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

In football or hurling? Kinda surprised to hear that given he's still involved (I hope with) Kerry.
    A role in both ,i think.

Wont affect kerry,sure Cunnigham was involved with ucc and cork last year.

If i was kerry id be delighted ,two men involved in the top colleges in cork ,and good coaches at minor and u21,future is bright.

Orizio wrote: »
    Does Barry Lawton's sending off suspension carry over to East Cork Junior.
    It does,unfortunately.

I was wrong,my apolgies.A lot of confusion over the rule,but a fella told me today at the harty cup,hes out.

It says in the paper also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

I heard today that Ger cunnigham is meant to be going to limerick,with Cusack.

Whether its true,remains to be seen.It wouldnt suprise me.

I had a feeling and said it before cunnigham would be interested in the limerick job,and felt if cork had won he mas gone.

All the sheedy hype is gone ,and cunnighan and cusack would be long term,not like sheedy for the year if true.

If that is true,the cork county board should be ashamed,in letting them go.

Theres a Limerick Ger Cunningham too. Trained Newtown/UL

Theres a Limerick Ger Cunningham too. Trained Newtown/UL
    No hes with laois.
    The man im on about is our man.

I heard this from a cork man,involved in various teams in hes time.Whether its true ?

It wouldnt suprise me,and cunnigham and cusack have a great trust between them.

In the mid 2000s when cunnigham was brought in as goalkeeping coach,he introduced that cusack make notes after every session in a note pad.Cusack always said Ger brought him to the next level.

He showed him new ways how to mark hes square so he knew the angles during games,so a reapeat of comerford 03 goal wouldnt happen again.

Cunnigham would be well accepted by players and fans in limerick,and particulary Nicky quaid.

Cunnigham has always wanted to go it alone in intercounty management ,and cusack be a superb drills coach,he has done this with cloyne since 2000 etc.

13 min gne hammies up 1-7 to 1 st flannans trevor horgan splendid goal

Cahalane horgan healy macsweeny chris o leary playing v well
    All bar point play

• Advertisement

2-9 tnd 3 mikey calahane superb goal

2-9 to 6 favour hammies horgan cahalane superb goals shock result they keep it up

Superb win hamilton 2 -15 to st flannans 2-11

St flannans in real trouble in the group,drew a much fancied de la salle team ist game.

Not many intercounty players bar maloney the full forward who got about one ten from play.

Michael sweeney full back, murt kenneally half back,eoin reilly corner forward four from play.They had a man sent off at the end for two yellows.

Corks trevor horgan superb at full,bt a goal and two,mikey cahalane brillant,one ten aprox,with one five from play.Horgan got a goal and 3 in a u21 final the wknd.He is in some run of form.

What a talent,cahalane is.

I only realised today,hes not eligble for minors,as he overage .

He just made the cut of point for this by days.

Has u21 trial footballers wknd against ucc.

Chris o leary cork development player man of the match at centre back,with david healy nt as good as the last day but still a good game.

A great week for Hammies with the dean ryan cup team beating cashel last week.

A good day for cork schools in kilmallock.

Ard scoil playing st colmans up the road in bruff ,any one know the result?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Throw up the team and their clubs there please Thinkstoomuch. Didn't know Cahalane was still playing.

A great week for Hammies with the dean ryan cup team beating cashel last week.

That was the secondary competition, not Dean Ryan. Midleton, Blackwater, Templemore and Ard Scoil Ris are in the Dean Ryan semis.

• Advertisement

Throw up the team and their clubs there please Thinkstoomuch. Didn't know Cahalane was still playing.

Wouldnt know the whole team,and they dnt do teamsheets here buddy,they still want to charge me five to to in.

On your bike i said.Only 15 at most,including myself.Travelled 20 miles to it.
    Michael sweeney full back.

Murt kennelly at 5 newcestown

Chris o leary valley rover
    David healy newcestown

Jerry o neill valley?came on a big young fella

Eoin reilly newcestown

Michael cahalane yeah still playing,sum talent.p

Trevor horgan newcestown,injured and sick still a goal and four etc

Any other scores orizo?dying to know ardscoil and colmans

That was the secondary competition, not Dean Ryan. Midleton, Blackwater, Templemore and Ard Scoil Ris are in the Dean Ryan semis.

The callaghan cup?

Midelton doing good but from i saw a few wks ago in ul,the training niall moran had ard scoil doing,in the dean ryan cup they cd win it.

Serious training prepartion,better than cork minors this year.

Wouldnt know the whole team,and they dnt do teamsheets here buddy,they still want to charge me five to to in.

On your bike i said.Only 15 at most,including myself.Travelled 20 miles to it.
    Michael sweeney full back.

Murt kennelly at 5 newcestown

Chris o leary valley rover
    David healy newcestown

Jerry o neill valley?came on a big young fella

Eoin reilly newcestown

Michael cahalane yeah still playing,sum talent.p

Trevor horgan newcestown,injured and sick still a goal and four etc

Any other scores orizo?dying to know ardscoil and colmans

http://www.redfm.ie/news/sport/harty-cup-round-2-results/

Jesus christ hope waterford lad is okay.
    Please god.

Great draw colmans ,get two goals,thats a serious ard scoil tean,cian ronan lynch,barry fitzpatrick,ian galvin ,and alex morey etc.

Chareville another good win,two in a row.

Is darragh guiney newtown with them?u15 cork this year,may be bit young,savage talent.

The two butlers brother are teaching their,paying of.

11 cork ladies nominated for all stars,in the ladies football.All of the defence.

Juliet surley get one at midfield.What a way to retire.

Big week club football.

Clyda macroom sunday.Every neutral i talk to wants them to become the bride,seen as they have been bridesmaids so many times.

Macroom be a tough team.Clydas defence yet to concede a goal,could win it for them.

Nemo and haven should be a cracker.

Corkery on the line with nemo.

I like both teams,but i have a soft spot for haven.their slight favourites.

James mccarthy involved with the cork development squad,and with hamilton is doing a serious of coaching sessions in west cork this wk.A very gd coach.

Cleary is meant to be in the trunning for the senior job again..He was meant to be initally ruled out himself.

Good to hear that the u21 are starting trials already for next spring.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Briege, Brid, Rena, Anne Marie, Angela, Doireann, Val, Ger, Deidre, Nollaig, Juliet - Juliet should have got one last year, can't believe she didn't! Might go to it again this year - was a great night!!

I reckon Briege, Ger, Deidre and Juliet are the certs, rest are in with a decent shout

Briege, Brid, Rena, Anne Marie, Angela, Doireann, Val, Ger, Deidre, Nollaig, Juliet - Juliet should have got one last year, can't believe she didn't! Might go to it again this year - was a great night!!

I reckon Briege, Ger, Deidre and Juliet are the certs, rest are in with a decent shout

And FOTY?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

And FOTY?

In my opinion, Deidre O Reilly - but no nominations have been announced, so not sure if thats going ahead again this year

Jesus christ hope waterford lad is okay.
    Please god.

He is the St. Catherines/Cork Minor corner back. Apparently he is fine.

• Advertisement

He is the St. Catherines/Cork Minor corner back. Apparently he is fine.
    O brien?

Glad hes alright.Best of luck to the lad.

[quote="Orizio;86945826"

Is Garan manley,the midelton full forward in dean ryan cup ,Ex cork player and minor manager Gers son?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Big week club football.

Clyda macroom sunday.Every neutral i talk to wants them to become the bride,seen as they have been bridesmaids so many times.

Macroom be a tough team.Clydas defence yet to concede a goal,could win it for them.

Nemo and haven should be a cracker.

Corkery on the line with nemo.

I like both teams,but i have a soft spot for haven.their slight favourites.

James mccarthy involved with the cork development squad,and with hamilton is doing a serious of coaching sessions in west cork this wk.A very gd coach.

Cleary is meant to be in the trunning for the senior job again..He was meant to be initally ruled out himself.

Good to hear that the u21 are starting trials already for next spring.

have you seen clyda play? awful style and depressing to watch for the spectator. would imagine most neutrals would want macroom to win on that basis alone

slingerz wrote: »
    have you seen clyda play? awful style and depressing to watch for the spectator. would imagine most neutrals would want macroom to win on that basis alone
    12 men behind the ball,yeah,but in fairness i dont blame clyda,they dont have forwards,niall mullane who is a forward ,is at the back.

Unlike some teams clyda are developing a style to suit their needs.

I think if you actually checked,you would find the fact clyda have lost three finals and unlike macroom ,most neutrals would shout for them on that basis.
    Most people from bandon i spoke to yesterday and from the city on the monday wanted clyda to win n that basis.

Macroom are more attack minded with the two goulds,but their not exactly the kerry of football either.

The majiority of club teams play a style similar to clyda all overt the country.

If it is a method thats working for them and in their shoes, I wouldn't give a toss about how it looks for a spectator! If it works and gets the wins, then its perfect! Same as Donegal, if it works and wins games, the players don't care how it looks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

If it is a method thats working for them and in their shoes, I wouldn't give a toss about how it looks for a spectator! If it works and gets the wins, then its perfect! Same as Donegal, if it works and wins games, the players don't care how it looks!

of course winning will gloss over the cracks however its not even a donegal style as they can at least attack and put scores on the board. Clyda have everyone back, hold the ball with short handpasses and hope to draw a free.
    12 men behind the ball,yeah,but in fairness i dont blame clyda,they dont have forwards,niall mullane who is a forward ,is at the back.

Unlike some teams clyda are developing a style to suit their needs.

I think if you actually checked,you would find the fact clyda have lost three finals and unlike macroom ,most neutrals would shout for them on that basis.
    Most people from bandon i spoke to yesterday and from the city on the monday wanted clyda to win n that basis.

Macroom are more attack minded with the two goulds,but their not exactly the kerry of football either.

The majiority of club teams play a style similar to clyda all overt the country.

most club teams will work hard and come back and help the defence but at least they will move the ball forward and attempt to score.

Im fully aware that clyda have lost 3 finals. dont think that gives them a divine right to win anything. their style suits clyda as they dont have good enough forwards but that doesnt mean that the neutrals will enjoy watching this final or support clyda. you'll find on twitter that a number of journalists have commented on the fact that this is likely to be a low scoring contest given the approach clyda have to the game.

Your obviously a Clyda supporter but to think that the neutrals will support clyda on the basis of the previous defeats is naive. i reckon there is a large portion of neutrals who will have been put off by Clyda's approach and will hope that the better footballing team wins.

Macroom have the two Goulds but as far as im aware Fintan plays at centre back so will hardly be expected to score that much. As for the kerry of football theyre intermediate for a reason but at least they are trying to play the game as it is intended

given the way the game against Nemo went for Clyda id imagine the nemo supporters and i will be hoping for a Macroom win on Sunday

I agree,at club level,you wont get many detractors if it wins you games.

Duahallow last year played a morbid style but they didnt give a monkey,as they wanted a county title,and had a limited team.

Take limerick,most of their own criticsed their style as too open ,when cork walked through them,last year,and righty so,said they should of sticked to their blanket defence, as it is what they knew and suited their players.

If cork played blanket an intercounty next year id be worried,as the way the game is going it must be tempo,pace ,and movement.And we have the players.

But for clyda and club level that style they play suits them at the slow pace,and kissane is in hes element ,as he unlike intercounty plays to strengths than hes weakness.

I think Clyda are well liked by everyone,and a small rural club,compared to Mallow a big town,four miles in flatter to decieve,on many a game.They have better indivudal talent,but Clyda have players that are self sacrficing,honest,brave,dogged and a greater Will to win on the field of play.A lot of their players are unselfish,they sacfrice their own game,to suit the team and the Greater need of it.Its has never been about individuals with clyda,more so the Team.

As you said,they wnt care if they score one point and win ,as long as they win.

Clyda always give a hundred per cent.In times of past,that quailty has let them down,but when other big populasied aeras like Mallow,Fermoy to an extent,Ballincollg punch way below their weight,Clyda really do perform to the max of their rescources.

In an aera competing with kilshannig too,clyda have done remarkable.

Nothing against macroom,and i do like sean kiely,and the goulds and colman corrigan has done great work down the years,but Macroom is a big town,compared to Clyda,a small parish.

Clyda has many friends from the hurling strikes.Many an eveining ,when i watched them train with wallis in mourneabbey,you had people from the four corners of cork down their ,that didnt even know where clyda was.They all knew in 2009.

A lot of those people ,appreciate,understand,acknowlege the goodness of the people down their,and when bigger clubs like Mallow and Na pairsaigh lacked the balls,lets be Frank and call a spade a spade,and were afraid of what they would loose,espiceally Mallow with their top class complex,Clyda didnt give a hoot,and had nothing to loose,and helped Cork when no one else would.

Clyda might nt have much and not born with a silver spoon in their mouth,but they have great people,great pride,honour and dignity and true to their beliefs.

Doing superb work in cork ladies football.

So If clyda dnt win sunday, they probably wnt for a while.Macroom have the age profile and rescources to and i hope they do win one in the future.

But Clyda deserve their day in the sun,and a lot of people all over cork would be delighted if they won,and sunday is their time if their to do it.

[quote="Orizio;86945826"

Is Garan manley,the midelton full forward in dean ryan cup ,Ex cork player and minor manager Gers son?

Yeah. On the development squad as well afaik. Gosnell is the star of that team, but they lost at least one of the better Midleton lads to Pres/CBC, can't remember which one.

of course winning will gloss over the cracks however its not even a donegal style as they can at least attack and put scores on the board. Clyda have everyone back, hold the ball with short handpasses and hope to draw a free.

most club teams will work hard and come back and help the defence but at least they will move the ball forward and attempt to score.

Im fully aware that clyda have lost 3 finals. dont think that gives them a divine right to win anything. their style suits clyda as they dont have good enough forwards but that doesnt mean that the neutrals will enjoy watching this final or support clyda. you'll find on twitter that a number of journalists have commented on the fact that this is likely to be a low scoring contest given the approach clyda have to the game.

Your obviously a Clyda supporter but to think that the neutrals will support clyda on the basis of the previous defeats is naive. i reckon there is a large portion of neutrals who will have been put off by Clyda's approach and will hope that the better footballing team wins.

Macroom have the two Goulds but as far as im aware Fintan plays at centre back so will hardly be expected to score that much. As for the kerry of football theyre intermediate for a reason but at least they are trying to play the game as it is intended

given the way the game against Nemo went for Clyda id imagine the nemo supporters and i will be hoping for a Macroom win on Sunday

Never presume to assume ,unless your sure.

Im nt a clyda man,as if you read my posts would know that.

Yes North cork.That doesnt mean thats the main reason i want them to win.

I want the haven to win the senior.

I wanted the barrs to avoid relegation.

I wouldnt mind really who wins cork senior title,as long as it aint sars,as i dnt think they have anything new to offer cork.

My point is i have a lot of strong beliefs,and i aint from these places.

I try to look at it with face value than any particular rose tinted glasses.

Fair play u want macroom to win,thats your want,but a lot of neutrals want clyda,also clyda are unbeaten,macroom lost the ist day.

• Advertisement

Fintan gould will probably play midfield to stop kissane driving up,and allows kiely for them to bomb up.

I dont need a journalist to tell me it will be low scoring.I and many others have said here,it will be low scoring.

Your naive to think that the way a club team plays will turn people of them.

Clyda ,wait for it,if they win,those same journalist will say this is the most romantic strory of the year (like the prince and kates wedding).The same journalists that tweeted,aidan and ciaran were training with the hurlers probably.

Journalists,not all to be fair run with the hare and chase with the hound,when it suits just to sell a paper.

Thats the rubbish some will say.They will over glorify it if they win,just like their overly negative on their style of play today.

They fail to see the common ground,where a club like clyda has to come from,the everday finaicial struggles and population battles they face .

They should like other clubs,the newtowns,ballymartyles,the havens etc be commended for what they have achieved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement