Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 5, Episode 16: Felina

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I honestly cannot see how anyone would see any ambiguity in the phone call. It was quite clearly an attempt to get Skyler off the hook. And then afterwards it was even confirmed by the conversation with Saul.

I thought Anna Gunns performance during the phone call was amazing. As was Bryan Cranstons. I guess its testimony to two such great actors that people may actually have thought it was a vicious call - thats exactly what Walt wanted the police to believe! But for viewers, it should have been clear he was doing a good thing. Skylers face tells the tale during the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭John Dodger

Cyrusmekon wrote: »
    Doing the rounds on twitter .

"Breaking Bad had 62 episodes in total. The 62nd element on the periodic table is Samarium. Samarium is used to treat lung cancer."

Amazing.....

No so amazing as someone posted it a few posts back.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Neil McCauleys Cooler Brother

And do I need to state the obvious?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Really? Are you an expert on ballistics?

No so amazing as someone posted it a few posts back.

Great contributions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

If we're going to nitpick about logical inconsistencies, anyone notice that Jesse seemed more buff this episode? Or am I imagining things? That Ben and Jerries must be high in protein.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

Lot of quibbling over things that aren't realistic or are very convenient. Thank God I'm not that hard to please and can actually enjoy a show without questioning minute details.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭RoboAmish

snausages wrote: »
    If we're going to nitpick about logical inconsistencies, anyone notice that Jesse seemed more buff this episode? Or am I imagining things? That Ben and Jerries must be high in protein.

Well, he looked fatter anyway, wouldn't say buff. Say what you will about these Nazis but they'll feed you well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

RoboAmish wrote: »
    Well, he looked fatter anyway, wouldn't say buff. Say what you will about these Nazis but they'll feed you well.

He's so desperately skinny usually. He looked, ironically, better under Nazi captivity than he did in some of the more recent seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Big Game wrote: »
    Lol! Is the elastic band a metaphor for the metaphor?

No it's a simile :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

He's so desperately skinny usually. He looked, ironically, better under Nazi captivity than he did in some of the more recent seasons.

I reckon Todd would look after him dinner wise. Well fed, very little exercise? Or maybe Aaron Paul is just making the most of his new found millions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭The Big Smoke

Greatest show of all time for me.

I thought the Sopranos was never going to be topped. I was a Walt guy from beginning to end and when that machine gun finished firing I literally leaped out of my chair and clapped like a fooking freak. :D

From watching 1 and 2 together to waiting with baited breath for each episode afterwards, this is one of the most unique experiences of all time.

Dman001 wrote: »
    "Winning" in Walt's eyes would be to continue to make meth, with no knowledge by his family, and beating cancer. Walt was at his most content when he was producing Meth for Lydia with Todd, his only problem at the time was Sylar despised him and was the ultimate reason he gave it up. That's not to say he wasn't content when he gave it up, he was (or seemed to be) before Hank found out.

In this episode, Walt made best of his current situation. He can't exactly say he "won", and totally disagree that his redemption were his acts in this episode. He was beyond winning or losing, redemption or damnation.

Indeed it was never about redemption. Walt was never sorry for what he did, except perhaps for the affect it had on his family, and certainly he was sorry that it lead to the murder of Hank. If the finale had all been about Walt begging forgiveness & seeking redemption it would have been totally out of character and while it might have been a moral ending, it wouldn't have been good drama.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    No, my recollection is they were on the pool table where the keys were.

And we don't know that it killed Walt.

Anyway.

Your recollection is wrong.

I'm sure he will die, but from what I saw it was a stomach wound and that can take a long time to bleed out. It wold be entirely plausible he could survive that.

Really, you're a doctor?

Tell me so, how long would a week dying man last with a gunshot wound to the liver?

Brock.

Brock wasn't 10.
    Yes he did threaten Skylers life.

No he didn't. That's what I mean when I said you don't get BB.
    Anyway, as you chose to get personal, you'll be on my ignore list. Don't expect a reply.

I didn't get personal & I'm so worried you're throwing your toys out of the pram.

Torqay wrote: »
    No, Mike was the "Head of Corporate Security" at Los Pollos Hermanos and Gus' enforcer. He only came to help Saul on matters where Gus' interests were concerned.

No, he was also Saul's PI. Saul describes him as such. Try watching the series.

look
    there is literally no way in hell walt was actually threatening skyler in that scene

just.. no way. impossible. it would make more sense for walt to suddenly be abducted by aliens and the show to end right there, focused on a half eaten plate of mashed potatos.

just, no.

there's no second interpretation, there's no way around it.. he knew the police were there so he was trying to dig skyler out from the mountain of **** he'd dumped on top of her

Indeed. Only a total imbecile who doesn't get BB would think that Walt treatened Skylers life.

It's interesting that we never actually see the possibility of that line getting crossed, whether WW would kill one of his own family so he could stay in control of the end of his life.

At one point it looked like he considered Jesse family, after he was talking to Janes dad in the bar, and he rescued Jesse from his addiction and sent him to rehab. But when Jesse turned on him and was going to spoil his fun and report to the DEA, he ordered his kill.

No, he reluctantly ordered the hit on Jesse (at Skyler's insistence) when he taught Jesse was going to kill him.

Another uber TV cliche was that Walt was shot by the machine gun, but he doesnt shot it but we dont realise it until the very end because our hero, despite being shot and despite being heavily medicated for advanced cancer, was able to get back up and hold a conversation with Jesse and then wander about the meth lab......before opening his jacket, Jesus like, to show his wounds.....

A supposedly fatal wound, that allows him wander about as per normal for half an hour before collapsing in a heap.

Just you. Everyone else realised it in the cabin where it was made obvious that Walt had been shot & was bleeding badly. Perhaps one of the reasons Jesse didn't kill him.

How do you make that out?

Walt believed Jesse was going to kill him or hurt his family.

It was quite obvious that Jesse had a change of heart when he didnt burn down the house.

Then, it was extremely obvious that Jesse had instead chosen to go down the route of informing to Hank and cooperating with him to set Walt up.

Walt called the Nazis in, not Jesse. There is no way Walt could blame Jesse for Hanks death.

What he could blame Jesse for was losing all his money to the Nazis, as thats what Jesse used to trick Walt.

I would see Walt's handing Jesse over to the Nazis as being purely vindictive and done out of spite.

Jesse didn't have a change of heart about burning the house down. Pay attention! I swear some people must watch BB half asleep or have the attention span of a goldfish!

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    The blood on his shirt was probably another giveaway but some seem to have missed it somehow.

Some people just have low attention spans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Whatever. What are you? The interpretation fascist? Get a grip.

He's right. It was clearly stated that call was Walters attempt to help Skyler off the hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

ow36f.jpg

Not necessarily.

It's natural that writers will run out of ideas. This happens to the best of them. However, I believe that breaking bad left us (me at least) wanting more. You cant ask for much more from a show.

While it could be argued that some of the scenes may have been a little far fetched, if you're being critical. If you want absolute realism then BB would never have worked. If you had stuck rigidly to how the real world works then you have a completely different show and it certainly wouldn't have lasted 5\6 seasons

Exactly. Realism doesn't always make for great entertainment. I swear some people would have been happier if BB had just been 5 seasons of the White family sitting at the table having breakfast.

The blame for this lies with AMC imo. Had season 5 not been cut up and served across 14 months some of the events might have happened more naturally in the story. As it is season 5 kind of proceeded in fits and starts, with a lot of twists and cliffhangers in this half-season. I don't think they really needed another big bad after Gus. That was the series' climax. Season 5 would have worked better as a shortened epilogue season imo.

Well you know better than Vince Gilligan I suppose. Have AMC called you yet?

kiffer wrote: »
    So... the cops show up, find the dead Nazis, the methlab and Walt's corpse...
    They search the building and find Jesse's rat video.
    Does that help or hinder Skylar?
    There's talk of a Saul Goodman spinoff... will the existence of that video be a plot point?

Oh good grief. Better Call Saul is a PREQUEL as has been mentioned like a 100 times on this thread.

I

Of course it's open to interpretation. Everything is.

You're right. My favourite part was that Todd just pretended to die likeyou do when a bear attacks. He was clever, he knew a weakened Jessie wouldn't last long (i mean, did we REALLY see him die? I saw no blood!) so he could rescue Lydia (again, she never died on screen!)

He was just a knight in search of his princess, trapped into doing bad by his mean old uncles.

Delighted to see Todd and Lydias story being kept open

:)

Penn wrote: »
    He didn't mean what he said to Skyler. Watch the first few minutes of Granite State, the next episode. He even says to Saul that he made the phone call to Skyler to help keep her out of trouble. Saul says it was a good idea, but that it wouldn't help her as much as Walt thought it might, and she'd still be in trouble.

This isn't something left open to interpretation. They flat out say that Walt's call to her was an act. Look at his face while making the call. The whole way through it he's fighting back tears at having to do it. He lets out a cry when he's destroying the phone after it. He says things which aren't true while on the phone. He waits for Skyler to realise what he's doing so she can play along.

He meant what he said to Jesse because he blamed Jesse for helping Hank capture him which resulted in Hank being killed. He didn't hate Skyler, but he realised that he had to go on the run, and if she wasn't coming with him, he needed to protect and hide her involvement in everything, and make it seem like he was forcing her into everything.

Honestly, watch the phone call scene and his scene with Saul in the vacuum repair place again.

You're wasting your time. clairefontaine doesn't get BB, and thinks Walt White is a real person out to get her.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I blame Jesse for Hanks death. I mean obviously if you want to boil it down ultimately it all was Walts fault for becoming a meth producer in the first place but none of them would have been there in the desert if it wasn't for Jesse talking to the DEA. Walt did all he could to stop the nazis from killing Hank.

I don't know how you could watch every episode of breaking bad and come away thinking that Walter was a purely evil person with no conflictions and no love for his family?

I blame Walt's mother. After all, she gave birth to him. Were if not for her, Hank would still be alive.

• Advertisement

bellinter wrote: »
    Apologies if its already been answered but why did he leave the watch on the phone box?

Read (or search) the thread. Why should others do it for you?

Advertisement