Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Content Speculation

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Elmo wrote: »
    Type of Service| May 2012| Jan 2013
    Analogue/Saorview | 12% | 13%
    FTA Satellite/Freeview|11% | 14%
    UPC/cable| 26% | 26%
    Sky | 44% | 48%

Though the article does suggest that Sky have a 40% share of the market, 8% using boxes for FTA broadcasts.

IMO as an FTA service Soarview should provide an option over pay TV service, while subs are not a key part of FTA if FTA gains a large share of the market it impacts subs to Pay TV services.

may 2012 =93%
    Jan 2013 = 101%

Some people must be watching two TVs at once.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

may 2012 =93%
    Jan 2013 = 101%

Some people must be watching two TVs at once.:)

Some people may have 2 or more TV with connections to different providers e.g. Sky in the main room with Soarview in other rooms.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Some people may have 2 or more TV with connections to different providers e.g. Sky in the main room with Soarview in other rooms.

Maybe, but the figures do not add up as 85% have a TV licence, and a lot more than 20% have more than 1 TV. (I have three, and most people I know have more than one)

Whatever those figures are meant to mean, they do not add up.

Maybe, but the figures do not add up as 85% have a TV licence, and a lot more than 20% have more than 1 TV. (I have three, and most people I know have more than one)

Whatever those figures are meant to mean, they do not add up.

TBH I don't think the article is all that good or that it adds up.

TBH I don't think the article is all that good or that it adds up.

Those articles in the BP never do. They are ill informed and usually just plain wrong when it comes the Saorview and broadcasting. Were they not the one's who told us about TV3 and their new HD studios.

• Advertisement

Those articles in the BP never do. They are ill informed and usually just plain wrong when it comes the Saorview and broadcasting. Were they not the one's who told us about TV3 and their new HD studios.
    What is the story with the new HD studio. I thought it was named and ready to go

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

I ran a channel re-tune on my Saorview STB today, and received 7 additional channels with the 8 that I previously received.
    The channels were strangely numbered 11-17.
    My channels are presumably from 3 Rock Transmitter.
    Test Service 1 - W (widescreen?), SUB, TXT, I/II, TV, 2RN TDT-DTT test Card
    Test Service 2 - HD, SUB, TXT, I/II, TV, 2RN Ath Cliath flashing coloured screen;
    Test Service 3 - W (widescreen?), SUB, TXT, I/II, TV, 2RN TDT-DTT test Card;
    Test Service 4 - W (widescreen?), SUB, TXT, I/II, TV, 2RN TDT-DTT test Card;
    Test Service 5 - W (widescreen?), TV, 2RN TDT-DTT test Card
    Test Service 6 - W (widescreen?), SUB, TXT, I/II, TV, 2RN Black/white grey (shades) screen;
    Test Service 7 - W (widescreen?), I/II, TV, 2RN TDT-DTT test Card;
    Is this a sign that there is some movement on additional channels in the near future?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,508 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Hibrasil wrote: »
    Is this a sign that there is some movement on additional channels in the near future?

No, just the occasional Mux2 tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

RTE Sport has announced it has secured exclusive rights to the 2014 winter olympics and will broadcast it on RTE News Now channel according to journal.ie. Although i'm not a fan of the winter olympics i still think it will be great to see some new content on RTE News Now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

As part of the agreement, RTÉ has also made a commitment to broadcast coverage of the 2014 Winter Olympics on RTÉ News Now, which will feature live coverage of the opening and closing ceremonies, as well as a daily highlights programme.* rte.ie

no actual live coverage just highlights nigthly and I would say the IOC made them take it as part of getting the 2016 summer olympic deal.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/media-and-marketing/bai-looks-to-revive-commercial-digital-tv-service-1.1496760

I think eircom are the only ones that can revive irish commercial dtt

I think Watty is right commercial DTT here has no chance against pay tv cable and satellite

commercial dtt should have been set up in the late 1990s not 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

A possible valuable premium addition to DTT would be the Setanta sports pack with BT sports. Ideal for those who don't want basic subscription channels or to be tied down to a Sky satellite box.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

A possible valuable premium addition to DTT would be the Setanta sports pack with BT sports. Ideal for those who don't want basic subscription channels or to be tied down to a Sky satellite box.

Excellent idea ....I would definitely pay a sub to have those channels and this would give the sports channel kick that FTA and Saorview option lacks at the moment. I think Setanta is proving to be a bit of a comeback kid !!! fair play to them after a number of difficult years

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

I will pay €20 per month for setanta/bt sports through saorview

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

ftakeith wrote: »
    I actually think an awful lot of people would..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭OldRio

Great idea.
    You could get Sky Sports1 and/or Sky Sports 2 on the freeview platform over in the UK and pay a monthly fee once upon a time.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

ftakeith wrote: »
    I would consider it also, as long as the HD channels were also included.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

byte wrote: »
    I would consider it also, as long as the HD channels were also included.

Me too, they could include all channels inc. HD on a single mux. Quick back of the envelope calculations means they would need at least 10,000 subscriptions for broadcast/encryption costs, just to break even. This is what makes pay DTT so difficult to crack.

IMO the only satisfactory pay services on DTT are premium/pay TV services, Sat can take care of FTA English TV. Otherwise Pay DTT won't work.

Currently DTT Pay TV only requires a encrypted mux and a Set top box. Since it would be aimed at those that don't go in for PAY TV the price could be set higher. UPC = €16, Sky = €20 and Pay DTT = €25 (Free STB install required).

Strange to see Coverage of the Winter Olympic Games move from RTÉ Two to RTÉ News Now, RTÉ can't even move RTÉjr from RTÉ TWO without the minister asking the BAI to carry out a review.

Or that RTÉ were unwilling to use RTÉ News Now for clashing Euro 2012 Semi Finals. :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Strange to see Coverage of the Winter Olympic Games move from RTÉ Two to RTÉ News Now, RTÉ can't even move RTÉjr from RTÉ TWO without the minister asking the BAI to carry out a review.

Still it's an improvement...I may be incorrect but I don't remember RTE covering the winter games before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,508 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

A UPC backed pay-DTT service could be an option for up to 40,000 (and reducing) of their MMDS subscribers who will lose their service in about 2 and a half years time with no UPC alternative available.

They have the whole infrastructure in place to offer such a service on DTT including subscriber management, encryption, STB supply, TV channel contracts using the DVB-T2/MPEG-4 standard. A matter of shutting down their own MMDS network and transferring over to 2RN/RTÉNL's DTT network, the transmission costs could be cheaper than maintaining their own network albeit with a reduced number of channels. It would give them greater coverage than MMDS and access to a larger part of the population without the need for a UPC installer network.

A cheaper pay as you go option could be available for second TVs or those that wouldn't subscribe to a mainstream pay TV provider and carry such channels as the UK terrestrials in the same epg as the Irish channels which could be used a stepping stone to premium, movie and sport packages using a CAM/card that would slot into any DTT TV. This I believe was included as an option in at least 1 of the original commercial DTT applications.

Unless of course they plan to bid to retain their existing spectrum but with new technical conditions.

Leaders questions was on News Now yesterday afternoon at 3.10 pm with Brian Dobson in the studio and with studio guests before and after the session. It was only broadcast on News Now and not RTE ONE. Good to see some new content been added to News Now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

UPC will lose their MMDS spectrum. They had hoped to add FWALA style Broadband with VOIP phone on parallel spectrum using existing masts and subscriber aerials with a two way LNB instead of current 1 way LNB (all off the shelf gear). Comreg nixed that idea. MMDS is much less spectrum than originally and a tiny fraction of Subscribers due to mix of Freesat and Sky competition as well as replacing a lot of Urban MMDS with cable that was put in by Chorus instead of fixing the cable system.

They will not launch pay DTT, not cost effective and no phone or Broadband.

Leaders questions was on News Now yesterday afternoon at 3.10 pm with Brian Dobson in the studio and with studio guests before and after the session. It was only broadcast on News Now and not RTE ONE. Good to see some new content been added to News Now. :)
    They could turn News Now into a very good news channel, they have a wasted news department which could rival their British counterparts in terms of Irish news.

irishfeen wrote: »
    They could turn News Now into a very good news channel, they have a wasted news department which could rival their British counterparts in terms of Irish news.
    I agree it has the potential to be a very good news channel so let's hope we will see more new content been added soon and less repeats.

I agree it has the potential to be a very good news channel so let's hope we will see more new content been added soon and less repeats.
    I think they would need advertisement revenue to make it Work.. But am I right in saying this was denied by the/past minister ?

irishfeen wrote: »
    I think they would need advertisement revenue to make it Work.. But am I right in saying this was denied by the/past minister ?
    Yes I think TV3 and Sky argued that RTE would have an unfair advantage in the advertising market so the Minister at that time prohibited RTE putting adds on RTE News Now and RTEjr.

Yes I think TV3 and Sky argued that RTE would have an unfair advantage in the advertising market so the Minister at that time prohibited RTE putting adds on RTE News Now and RTEjr.
    Yeah thought so, a terrible decision. The rest just attack RTÉ rather then actually trying to compete with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

meanwhile sky close their irish news operation and take millions out each year in advertising revenue, with no regulation in Ireland. Double standards. As someone pointed out here before you should not be allowed make a submission to Comreg or the BAI if you are not prepared to be regulated by them....

• Advertisement

meanwhile sky close their irish news operation and take millions out each year in advertising revenue, with no regulation in Ireland. Double standards. As someone pointed out here before you should not be allowed make a submission to Comreg or the BAI if you are not prepared to be regulated by them....
    Here Here! Outrageous situation really.

Advertisement