Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Content Speculation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No ads on RTE Jr is a good thing though.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

irishfeen wrote: »
    I think they would need advertisement revenue to make it Work.. But am I right in saying this was denied by the/past minister ?

Yes, done "as a means of mitigating the sectoral impact on the newspapers, in particular"

watty wrote: »
    UPC will lose their MMDS spectrum.

Nothing to prevent them bidding for the spectrum in the auction.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If they want to compete with Mobile operators?

Not likely to have a winning bid :)

If they want to compete with Mobile operators?

Not likely to have a winning bid :)

Maybe Vodafone will own them by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Leaders questions was on News Now yesterday afternoon at 3.10 pm with Brian Dobson in the studio and with studio guests before and after the session. It was only broadcast on News Now and not RTE ONE. Good to see some new content been added to News Now. :)

Nuacht RTE now has a five minute bulletin from 5pm to 5:05pm every weekday which is also broadcast only through RTE News Now. The slightly longer version of that bulletin is still shown on RTE 1 & NN at 5:40pm every weekday.

All the stories that are featured in the shorter bulletin are written in Irish at the right hand corner of the NN screen.

There was also a session of the Oireachtas Finance Committee with the Governor of the Central Bank Patrick Honahan. During the screening I had noticed that there were refreshed RTE news straps being used for that sitting.

I would suggest that some of those new straps could be used as a permanent feature for the main RTE News Bulletins when RTE 1 goes into HD sometime before Christmas.

I do feel it would be the right time for that small change to happen very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

Channels 11,12 and 14 on mux 2 from Maghera today now showing three HD test cards. So it looks like RTE 1 HD will be on channel 11 with RTE 2HD on 12 and TG4 HD on channel 14. Picture quality looks excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There are some HD test cards showing on some of the test channels on Kippure at the moment too.

BTW, looking at the SD test cards on the other channels, the time displayed is 34 seconds slow ... very professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

... So it looks like RTE 1 HD will be on channel 11 with RTE 2HD on 12 and TG4 HD on channel 14.

:confused: What will be on 1, 2 & 4 then?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭satelliteman20

Hopefully we will see the remaining sd channels increase there resolution to 720 ×576 I would have thought it is possible to get an excellent picture with 3 mbs bitrate in mpeg 4 if u look at some of the german sd channels on astra 19.2 east there is a big difference in picture quality there almost like hd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Yes I think TV3 and Sky argued that RTE would have an unfair advantage in the advertising market so the Minister at that time prohibited RTE putting adds on RTE News Now and RTEjr.
    I'm not sure RTE even looked for ads on RTEjr (but it's definitely a good thing that it doesn't have them). As for the RTE News Now, and the bigger plans, it was a disgrace how Carey hamstrung RTE, and by extension Saorview, after he'd actually been voted out of office.

Sky should not have a say. TV3 just whinge the whole time (they knew the market they entered, so why the constant moaning about the licence fee/ advertising on RTE?) - the took the small victory on hampering RTE's DTT output, when if they'd looked at the bigger picture they'd have surely benefitted by more penetration of saorview!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

Macy0161 wrote: »
    ... TV3 just whinge the whole time (they knew the market they entered, so why the constant moaning about the licence fee/ advertising on RTE?) - the took the small victory on hampering RTE's DTT output, when if they'd looked at the bigger picture they'd have surely benefitted by more penetration of saorview!

TV3 moan about RTE's proposed move of RTEjr's programmes off RTE 2 on weekdays as a sneaky way of returning daytime adverts to RTE 2.
    Whingers ...

Hopefully we will see the remaining sd channels increase there resolution to 720 ×576

No SD will be 544 x 576 and HD 1440 x 1080, no "full" resolution. Actually the 720 was chosen for USA 480 and for approximately square pixel SD equivalent to 1920 x 1080 HD quality we ought to have 1014 x 576 for wide screen and 760 x 576 for 4x3 aspect TV. But such "improvements" don't exist.

The aim is for Digital to replace Average quality Analogue with no degradation, not to be better than studio quality Analogue so as to has as few multiplexes as possible.

This is why DAB is poorer than good FM and DAB+ will only be used to double the number of stations.

Me cynical? No, the bean counters, not people with a PSB commitment are in charge. All is now Politics and Economics which is why 3G is just a wide band faster version of rubbish USA CDMA-1 rather than a true next generation from 2G aka GSM. It's faster because it uses a 5MHz channel instead of GSM's 0.2MHz channel which gives a stable 0.245Mbps. If 3G was really a "next generation" from GSM rather than an extended CDMA1, the basic 3G speed would be a typical 6Mbps and have no cell breathing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Channels 11,12 and 14 on mux 2 from Maghera today now showing three HD test cards. So it looks like RTE 1 HD will be on channel 11 with RTE 2HD on 12 and TG4 HD on channel 14. Picture quality looks excellent.

On my Saorview TV, RTE2 HD is on no.2, so why won't RTE1 HD be on no.1 ?

galtee boy wrote: »

It most likely will - the channel number referred to is where the channel will appear on the current line- up.

It will be on LCN 01, LCNs 11 upwards are only Mux2 test channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

Apologies i should have been more specific. Thanks The Cush and Pat Gleeson for clearing that up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭Antenna

Hopefully we will see the remaining sd channels increase there resolution to 720 ×576 I would have thought it is possible to get an excellent picture with 3 mbs bitrate in mpeg 4 if u look at some of the german sd channels on astra 19.2 east there is a big difference in picture quality there almost like hd

I remember some years ago showing someone (who had Sky Digital - before HD), the main German channels in Analogue at the time still going strong on Astra 19.2 on a basic analogue satellite receiver to a CRT TV. He thought what he was seeing were HD quality pictures! (better than Sky digital with SD only)
    They did look very good on any decent CRT TV. Flatscreen TVs however did not do justice to high quality analogue pictures.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Antenna wrote: »
    I remember some years ago showing someone (who had Sky Digital - before HD), the main German channels in Analogue at the time still going strong on Astra 19.2 on a basic analogue satellite receiver to a CRT TV. He thought what he was seeing were HD quality pictures! (better than Sky digital with SD only)
    They did look very good on any decent CRT TV. Flatscreen TVs however did not do justice to high quality analogue pictures.
    nostalgia for the old sparklies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

OT why are RTE two showing Blackadder in 16:9? Can't they switch the ratio?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

mike65 wrote: »

Why would they? Was it filmed in 16:9?

Content Speculation

RTÉ One HD
    RTÉ Two HD
    TV3 HD
    TG4 HD
    RTÉ NEWS NOW
    RTÉjr/RTÉ ONE +1
    3e
    9 RTÉ Radio stations

So rather then increasing viewing/listening choice RTÉ have got rid of RTÉ Choice, while promoting the suggestion of Saorview Anytime!

Speculation as to which mux each channel will be broadcast on.

Each of the HD channel will replace the SD versions, and the viewer will need to retune their set-top-boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Wouldn't be so sure that all boxes will need user intervention when Mux2 fires up.

I have a Walker PVR tuned into Kippure, when I got home on Thursday it had tuned in all the Mux2 test services (although they were off the air by then, they were in the EPG.) I know my wife didn't do a manual retune :) the box was probably turned on at some point for RTE Jr but that was it.

When I got home yesterday evening, the Mux2 channels had disappeared from the EPG by themselves.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Elmo wrote: »

It was shown in stretchyvision - no excuse for that, RTE should be able to play it out 4:3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Amy sign of any more radio stations joining?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Scaramanga 4

Elmo wrote: »

Content Speculation

RTÉ One HD
    RTÉ Two HD
    TV3 HD
    TG4 HD
    RTÉ NEWS NOW
    RTÉjr/RTÉ ONE +1
    3e
    9 RTÉ Radio stations

So rather then increasing viewing/listening choice RTÉ have got rid of RTÉ Choice, while promoting the suggestion of Saorview Anytime!

Speculation as to which mux each channel will be broadcast on.

Each of the HD channel will replace the SD versions, and the viewer will need to retune their set-top-boxes.

RTE didn't get rid off RTE Choice, RTE Radio 1 Extra which used to be RTE Radio 1 longwave is now RTE Choice.

RTÉ Gold
    RTÉ 2XM
    RTÉ Junior
    RTÉ Pulse
    RTÉ Radio 1 Extra (which carries all Long wave content)

There is no RTE Choice any more.

http://www.rte.ie/radio/

http://www.rte.ie/radio/page/rte-radio-ways-to-listen.html

However RTE1 Radio Extra while having all the RTE1 LW content NOT on FM, does appear to have most of the Old RTE Choice content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Scaramanga 4

Yes but RTE Radio 1 Extra now carries all the content that used to be on RTE Choice as well as the Sunday morning longwave mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

When will all these channels be available in hd, a massive plus in my opinion

Yes but RTE Radio 1 Extra now carries all the content that used to be on RTE Choice as well as the Sunday morning longwave mass.

Yes, I just said that. So the name of the channel is really stupid.

RTE1, TV3 and TG4 will be HD when they have the money. No technical barrier.

But most programs don't need HD :D

• Advertisement

It was shown in stretchyvision - no excuse for that, RTE should be able to play it out 4:3

I agree - RTE 2 HD routinely show 4:3 material stretched to 16:9 ...
    On DTT and Sky - don't know the situation on cable.

Advertisement