Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Content Speculation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Great even more of an annoyance now if it is gona be rteone hd dog. The itvhd one is what the rtehd one should look like if they insist on having one

ITV 1 or ITV :) what does their DOG/BUG look like.

Anyway the fact that RTÉ TWO is covering the Budget tomorrow along with RTÉ ONE, RTÉ NEWS NOW (and other various channels) shows how RTÉ really aren't that interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

The DOG is even gone on the Sky satellite version of Rte One.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Hi, hope I can ask a quick question here on DVB-T2 tuned TVs. Can they receive saorview? Want to get it in as a backup. Have a Panasonic plasma and don't want a box. Google is unsure. Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭zg3409

gebbel wrote: »
    Hi, hope I can ask a quick question here on DVB-T2 tuned TVs. Can they receive saorview? Want to get it in as a backup. Have a Panasonic plasma and don't want a box. Google is unsure. Regards.

We need to have the exact model number to check. There was a problem with certain models. Also are you in an area that can get reception from the North of Ireland or Wales?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

We should complain that the DOG is too big/bright anyway and show ITV HD as an example and also how BBC HD channels have even dropped their DOG's altogether. They need to do something, the DOG's are too bright and could be tighter into the corner if they are going to be kept. Having numerals instead of words might also help here, or have the RTÉ on top of the ONE so it doesn't stick out from the edge as much.

• Advertisement

zg3409 wrote: »
    We need to have the exact model number to check. There was a problem with certain models. Also are you in an area that can get reception from the North of Ireland or Wales?

Thanks. TX-P42V20B. I'm in Drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

Paddy C wrote: »
    We should complain that the DOG is too big/bright anyway and show ITV HD as an example and also how BBC HD channels have even dropped their DOG's altogether. They need to do something, the DOG's are too bright and could be tighter into the corner if they are going to be kept. Having numerals instead of words might also help here, or have the RTÉ on top of the ONE so it doesn't stick out from the edge as much.

I have complained in the past, was fobbed off with the usual "we will pass your comments up the ladder". It seems they didn't care for criticism of their pointless vanity exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

you got more than I did. I didnt even get a reply to the general RTE email address. (which I cant remember). In fairness to RTE sport they did reply to my query on that double DOG but thats another issue.

gebbel wrote: »
    Thanks. TX-P42V20B. I'm in Drogheda.

According to here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74884252&postcount=698

It will probably work but you cannot be sure with panasonics without testing them. You should try a factory reset and try country=UK and country=Ireland. With country=UK the channels may appear in the 800s.

As it is not approved, it has not been fully tested.

You could try sending a private message to Gebbel who seems to own one and he might have since gotten it working:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/private.php?do=newpm&u=102533

According to here:

You could try sending a private message to Gebbel who seems to own one and he might have since gotten it working:

I would only be sending myself a PM as I recall asking that same question back then! I'm going to get an installer out and risk it. If the TV can pick up the channels then fine, if not I'll have to get a box.

Regards

• Advertisement

LOL
    Can you not try the TV in a friends house?
    If you are getting an installer out ask them to bring a box just in case. If you intend picking up Freeview Channels from the North of Ireland and Saorview, then the box would need to be DVB-T2 also.

You could always buy the box after the installer is gone, as aerial installers normally bring their own portable TV meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Jpmarn wrote: »
    The DOG is even gone on the Sky satellite version of RTE One.

And gone on UPC analogue & digital

be wary it may come back as RTEONE HD or even bigger as RTEONE HD in bright white so you cant miss it. Anyway isnt the HD version not due until the end of the year at the earliest?

be wary it may come back as RTEONE HD or even bigger as RTEONE HD in bright white so you cant miss it. Anyway isnt the HD version not due until the end of the year at the earliest?

Ah! now your sounding more and more like RTÉ lol end of year at the earliest next you'll be saying the end of spring (AKA mid2014)

Elmo wrote: »
    Ah! now your sounding more and more like RTÉ lol end of year at the earliest next you'll be saying the end of spring (AKA mid2014)
    :D

According to here:

It will probably work but you cannot be sure with panasonics without testing them. You should try a factory reset and try country=UK and country=Ireland. With country=UK the channels may appear in the 800s.

As it is not approved, it has not been fully tested.

I can confirm that Saorview works on a 2011 Panasonic UK plasma with a DVB-T2 tuner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

the rescan required is thid for HD?

It is to prepare for RTE1 HD which is due to launch before X-mas. It is also the launch of the second multiplex which will allow other channels to go in HD or other channels to launch. You should not notice much difference. You may notice RTE1 duplicate at number 11.

It is to prepare for RTE1 HD which is due to launch before X-mas. It is also the launch of the second multiplex which will allow other channels to go in HD or other channels to launch. You should not notice much difference. You may notice RTE1 duplicate at number 11.

After Christmas

RTÉ One +1 to end Feburary

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

It is to prepare for RTE1 HD which is due to launch before X-mas.
    Saorview's Brian Geraghty said RTÉ1 HD was coming in the new year on Morning Ireland this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

After Christmas

RTÉ One +1 to end Feburary
    As in totally off the air? .. or going 24hrs a day.

irishfeen wrote: »
    As in totally off the air? .. or going 24hrs a day.

According to the ministerial decision it will end feb 2014. Though I cannot see it happening.

According to the ministerial decision it will end feb 2014. Though I cannot see it happening.

The decision doesn't say it will end in Feb 2014. RTÉ must review these new channels by the end of Feb next and submit its reports to the Dept by June. It could be 12 months or more before any decisions, if any, are made.

The Cush wrote: »
    The decision doesn't say it will end in Feb 2014. RTÉ must review these new channels by the end of Feb next and submit its reports to the Dept by June. It could be 12 months or more before any decisions, if any, are made.

Your being generous "12 months"!

I know I just wanted to throw it in there to see what people thought.

In fairness it does say on page 10 of that report
    7. RTÉ Plus: Phase 1 only is approved and for a period of 4 years only until February 2014.

On page 11 it goes on to say
    6. All the approved services and channels shall be reviewed by RTÉ within 4 years (i.e. no later than February 2014) and a report on these reviews shall be submitted to the minister by June 2014 at the latest. This review shall, interalia, study the continuing need for these services and channels in light of technology and societal developments and the potential for enhancing the public service value of the services and channels.

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/NR/rdonlyres/53109763-FB78-4318-A034-47D2021C6D39/0/MinistersDecision.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Hopefully the current minister lets it continue along with ads on News Now and the launching of channels RTÉ had planned (eg. RTÉ 3)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

irishfeen wrote: »
    Hopefully the current minister lets it continue along with ads on News Now and the launching of channels RTÉ had planned (eg. RTÉ 3)

why would we want rte3 they cant even fill space properly on 1 and 2....all repeats of bbc and ch4 programs and the rest of the time its cooking or some rubbish program...with the odd exception of primetime and the news I never watch it.

In fairness it does say on page 10 of that report

But nothing about ending the approved services which include RTÉjr, RTÉ News Now, RTÉ1+1 not to mention RTÉ2 HD and Aertel. None of these services will end next Feb.

Following the review the only one likely to change is RTÉ1+1 either by extending it hours or using its off-air hours for other programming.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I think an RTE Choice/RTE Extra type channel, with best bits of 1 and 2 would be considerably better than the stupid timeshift channel.

The Cush wrote: »
    But nothing about ending the approved services which include RTÉjr, RTÉ News Now, RTÉ1+1 not to mention RTÉ2 HD and Aertel. None of these services will end next Feb.

Following the review the only one likely to change is RTÉ1+1 either by extending it hours or using its off-air hours for other programming.

No it clearly says before it talks about a review of the approved services

7. RTÉ Plus: Phase 1 only is approved and for a period of 4 years only until February 2014.

It also says on page 9
    The Minister consents to Phase 1 of the RTÉ Plus channel for a period of 4 years. The minister has decided not to give his consent for phase 2 of the RTÉ Plus channel as it is currently being proposed by RTÉ

Your missing a bigger error by the way.

I don't see the point of RTÉ doing these reviews or DCENR asking for them TBH.

• Advertisement

byte wrote: »
    I think an RTE Choice/RTE Extra type channel, with best bits of 1 and 2 would be considerably better than the stupid timeshift channel.

Perhaps an RTÉ Ireland channel that could broadcast in Ireland and Internationally? Kill two birds with one stone and all.

Advertisement