Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking Bad Episode 15: Granite State

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Grimebox wrote: »
    Yes it does it up perfectly. However the audience should have already known this. We didn't need Gretchen to spell it out so literally for us.

The show has a history of being glaringly obvious at times though, even over the top. The “say my name” and revving the fast cars in the driveway scenes were pretty much cringe worthy and could have been a lot more subtle to emphasis when Heisenberg was about, but it’s just the show’s style.
    For all the ways Gilligan is completely modern and helping change the format of the way a TV show needs to work, he still uses a lot of more traditional techniques at times like a good old cliché
    I actually thought Gretchen’s little speech was done really smoothly, along with the use of the long version theme tune (Love it, been on the Ipod for years :) ) and was quite poetic coming from her especially.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

A few things I think won't happen and why.

Killing spree - Walt has always, always got others to do the killing. He's not going to go into the biggest showdown on his own, M60 or no M60. I just have a feeling it's for another purpose.
    Ricin - I feel this is going to be used as a main part in his plan. not necessarily to kill but to subdue.
    End game - I think the end will see Walt die from wounds but close to death from cancer as Jesse takes the money and Brock to start a new life via the Vaccum cleaner
    Walt's family - sad to see Walt go but were never going to forgive.
    Saul - in a hot tub in Nebraska with some hot chicks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

@adox66@NetflixUK last episode of @BreakingBad_AMC will be up at 9.00am is it?
    Netflix UK & Ireland ✔ @NetflixUK

@NetflixUK@adox66 That is the time yo
    12:36 PM - 24 Sep 2013

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dub50

Walt goes into the witness protection programme and become Hal in Malcolm in the Middle

(This was suggested by writer of Walking Dead in this months US GQ)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

dub50 wrote: »
    Walt goes into the witness protection programme and become Hal in Malcolm in the Middle

(This was suggested by writer of Walking Dead in this months US GQ)

He must have been reading every second post in this forum for the last half a year. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Neil McCauleys Cooler Brother

Is there anything chemically unique in an M60 gun? Some parts he needs to concoct something ingenious? Probably not. You show a gun in the first act; you gotta use it in the third.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Is the gun some type of McGuffin/Red Herring? Something so obvious that was presented to us that maybe we've overlooked something else/or its obvious use is not intended as we think??

• Registered Users Posts: 43,812 ✭✭✭✭Basq

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Is the gun some type of McGuffin/Red Herring? Something so obvious that was presented to us that maybe we've overlooked something else/or its obvious use is not intended as we think??

I don't know, but Vince Gilligan is a huge fan of the Chekov's Gun theory, so I think the gun will be instrumental in some way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chekhov's_gun

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

stankratz wrote: »
    Forget Walt going balls to the wall on the Nazi compound with an M60, forget his desire to get some revenge for Hank, forget him getting some more screen time with Skyler and family, forget about the other $60m of his that the Nazis have, forget about one more dramatic scene with he and Jesse or he and Todd, forget Lydia...No, next week we are going to see Walt skulking around some upper-class Cali neighbourhood with the internal struggle of 'Do I use the Scarface gun or the horror poison on my 2 old unsuspecting friends who only publicly defended their company on TV?'

That really would be the worst finale to a show I could remember in recent years.

It'll still be better than the Dexter finale

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Madame K

On Chekhov's Gun: Any device in a narrative must have a purpose. For this last season, the gun on the wall is actually in the wall, the ricin. It's been shown to us to many times. Someone has to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Jikashi

New Breaking Bad means new Breaking Bad comics :D

tumblr_mtkbexZRZv1rslk3oo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mtkj1zcZ3v1sylkpto1_500.jpg

tumblr_mtltbb0FfY1qf8g4go1_500.jpg

tumblr_mtkbdmMYH91qz6a7po1_500.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I hate those comics

• Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭briany

I assume Walt will have to knock into Lydia's to find out where the gang's hideout is exactly. That's presuming that the previous meets didn't happen there.

One weakness in the coming back for his money angle is that slaughtering Jack's gang will likely accomplish that, not in 50 minutes with all the other things that'll be going on anyway. It's been at least a couple of months since Walt left town. Would the money be sitting in a big pile within the compound for all that time, undivided? Unmoved? Unspent? I seriously doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bellinter

he's going to die... he has no use for the money, no way of getting it to his family. So yeah I doubt he's coming back for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Neil McCauleys Cooler Brother

What I can't get my head around, as well: even if he gets the money to his family, how will they spend it? Surely, their every financial move will be scrutinised by the authorities for a long time to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Wow what an episode, perfectly paced after last weeks shocking series of events. We kind of needed to step back a bit and see how the consequences of last week would play out. Im glad Gilligan took the time to set the scene for the finale instead of rushing in with a big plan to kill x, y and z with no reasoning or development behind it. The flash forwards at the start of the season are now nicely explained, with the cabin in the mountain and the deteriorating health of Walt and his returning cancer, it was also great to see some loose ends like Lydia and Saul tied up.

Damn this show for messing with my head- last week I wanted Walt to die for how evil he was to his family and Jessie, but now he seems like a frail old man who just wants his family to be happy. His famous Heisenberg Hat didnt have the intended affect and I think with the Gretchan and Elliot clip he is now neither Walt nor Heisenberg but a third entity who will not stop until his wrongs are righted- even now his primary motivation is his family. How will this end now? God only knows, I see a final scene with Walt proclaiming to his family that they should forgive him and he will kill himself to do the world a favor, but not until he tracks down and kills Jack etc, but how he does that I have no idea. Cant wait for the finale now!

Two things that were hard to swallow this ep:

1. Jessie freeing himself from a set of handcuffs and a chain using a little paper clip-really? Weak at best.

2. Brocks mother opens the door in the dead of night to a total stranger who points at a black van across the street and claims Jessie is in it. Instead of slamming the door and ringing the cops she walks straight out and into her death. With her background in a really rough area and her brother being recruited by 2 evil drug dealers to kill rivals, she of all people should be streetwise and clued into public safety and this lapse of judgement was a lot to take. Personally i never cared for the character but this was weak writing..

Apart from that, bring it on next week!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

Two things that were hard to swallow this ep:

1. Jessie freeing himself from a set of handcuffs and a chain using a little paper clip-really? Weak at best.

2. Brocks mother opens the door in the dead of night to a total stranger who points at a black van across the street and claims Jessie is in it. Instead of slamming the door and ringing the cops she walks straight out and into her death. With her background in a really rough area and her brother being recruited by 2 evil drug dealers to kill rivals, she of all people should be streetwise and clued into public safety and this lapse of judgement was a lot to take. Personally i never cared for the character but this was weak writing..

Apart from that, bring it on next week!!!
    On point 1, it is possible! Not with a standard paper clip as the metal wouldn't be strong enough and would bend too easily, but there are some heavy duty bigger paper clips that would do the job!

Fully agree with point two, I pretty much said the same thing many pages ago. I have since concluded that she had started using again and was high when Todd called :D:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Jikashi

I'd say it was just a combination of her being roused in the middle of the night and the prospect of hearing from Jesse after so long, particularly from the fairly harmless-looking Todd, that accounted for her lapse in better judgement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Why did Lydia tell Todd the cops are looking for Pinkman?
    Won't Huell have told that agent that the two missing DEA agents went looking for Walter White moments after showing him a picture of Jesse with his brains outside of his head?
    Hank specifically told Huell not to talk to the agent about why he was there which suggests the agent wasn't in on their cunning ruse.
    Have I forgotten something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Won't Huell have told that agent that the two missing DEA agents went looking for Walter White moments after showing him a picture of Jesse with his brains outside of his head?
    Hank specifically told Huell not to talk to the agent about why he was there which suggests the agent wasn't in on their cunning ruse.

Marie?

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Marie?

Did he tell Marie about the fake death photo?I don't remember it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Did he tell Marie about the fake death photo?I don't remember it.

Well she saw and talked to Jesse in the house, and knew that he was cooperating with Hank.

She also saw the cow brains or whatever in the bin....if the APD can't piece this one together :pac:

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Well she saw and talked to Jesse in the house, and knew that he was cooperating with Hank.

She also saw the cow brains or whatever in the bin....if the APD can't piece this one together :pac:

That makes sense alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Maybe they are assuming he might be dead, but they're still looking for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

A lot of the gaps in plot and character development are down to the jumps in time. We are missing some exposition and sense of story arch. Could be just bad writing or needing to give a sense of urgency to a plot that is spread over 4 months or more. It's all their in the show but not as obvious as it could have been.
    Or it could be just that we expect too much from a TV show. Standards are high these days. You never had this kind of expectation for The Rockford Files or The Waltons!.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭SheldonC17

anyone have a link for this weeks ep? cant seem to find a working one anywhere :(

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Madame K

tommy2bad wrote: »
    A lot of the gaps in plot and character development are down to the jumps in time. We are missing some exposition and sense of story arch. Could be just bad writing or needing to give a sense of urgency to a plot that is spread over 4 months or more. It's all their in the show but not as obvious as it could have been.

I blame AMC for this. "AMC then almost lost Breaking Bad to another network when contract negotiations between itself and Sony Pictures, which produces the series, broke down. AMC only wanted Breaking Bad's final season to be six to eight episodes long, but renewed negotiations eventually resulted in two eight-episode half-seasons." http://bit.ly/15RVesw

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

SheldonC17 wrote: »
    anyone have a link for this weeks ep? cant seem to find a working one anywhere :(

tumblr_mgp12n2fqW1s3vr2xo2_1280.jpg

Advertisement