Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking Bad Episode 15: Granite State

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Most importantly, where the fcuk is Huell?

It's like Home Alone but with drug dealers.

Edit: *sprints back into thread*
    HUELL ALONE!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

That ending was s.hithot in fairness :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

But Walt didn't know it wasn't blue...unless Lydia told him. But I didn't think she mentioned that part of the problem when she came to the carwash, and it only came out in the scene of Todd's cook - the whole "farmed salmon" thing. I'm going to revisit that carwash visit to see if she actually talks about the colour; if she doesn't mention it, it means that Walt wouldn't make the connection that Jesse is still alive.

I was waiting for Walt to spot a piece in the paper about Andrea, and then he would make the connection that Jesse was still alive. I also thought, given the scenery and the woodchipper talk, that Todd should end up like Steve Buscemi in Fargo. I would applaud that - only Todd should be alive going down... Is Todd going back to Skyler's house straight after Andrea's?

It was mentioned in the TV interview with Gretchen and Elliot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

irishfeen wrote: »
    That ending was s.hithot in fairness :pac:

To be honest, I think that scene is too obvious. Gretchen is literally saying to the audience that the transformation into Heisenberg is complete. That was the second time in this episode where the audience were almost addressed directly through a peripheral character. Slightly lazy writing imo...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

tommy2bad wrote: »
    I didn't get that at all, how I saw it was Walt realizing that 'Walter White' was gone and what now took his place was Heisenberg. The theme music reinforcing the breaking bad completed.
    Not really convinced to go as far as to say Walter White is gone, because I think we'll see that side of him in the finale in some way or form. Even in the flash forward, he was quite Walter White-esque, playing with his food as his family had done on previous birthdays.

We seen a sick, thinning, feeble Walt in the cabin (which I assume was a close to a year gone by, if at the diner it is his birthday and he moreless goes straight there from the bar). He had no fight or care at that stage to get revenge on the Nazis, or get back his money. All ego had to be set aside due to his sickness and circumstance. The scene at the bar, watching the interview reignited that ego, that need not to just lie down and accept the consequence.

Also, separately, I was really hoping to see Saul stand up for himself against Walt. We could see how intimidated he was by Walt still, regardless of the fact they were both now men on the run with little power remaining. That was until Walt started coughing, his sickness becoming apparent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

This post has been deleted.
    Even Junior couldn't help checking out that ass before he took the call :D

ibcXR79rHq0Xva.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Grimebox wrote: »
    To be honest, I think that scene is too obvious. Gretchen is literally saying to the audience that the transformation into Heisenberg is complete. That was the second time in this episode where the audience were almost addressed directly through a peripheral character. Slightly lazy writing imo...
    Have to disagree there, it sets it up perfectly for next week... it had to have been someone "outside" who he probably had a lot of time for (once upon a time) to make him finally realise that he is no longer Walt and has lost just about everything... now its just Heisenberg's ego left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Dman001 wrote: »
    Not really convinced to go as far as to say Walter White is gone, because I think we'll see that side of him in the finale in some way or form. Even in the flash forward, he was quite Walter White-esque, playing with his food as his family had done on previous birthdays.

We seen a sick, thinning, feeble Walt in the cabin (which I assume was a close to a year gone by, if at the diner it is his birthday and he moreless goes straight there from the bar). He had no fight or care at that stage to get revenge on the Nazis, or get back his money. All ego had to be set aside due to his sickness and circumstance. The scene at the bar, watching the interview reignited that ego, that need not to just lie down and accept the consequence.

Also, separately, I was really hoping to see Saul stand up for himself against Walt. We could see how intimidated he was by Walt still, regardless of the fact they were both now men on the run with little power remaining. That was until Walt started coughing, his sickness becoming apparent.

They went through a timeline of events on Talking Bad, think they said it had been three or four months at that point? I could be wrong, they definitely said that it was two or three days before his birthday when he leaves the bar.

Knowing the timeline and having watched the episode they could have done a bit better with making it clear. In the time jump last season it was pretty clearly a significant amount of time had gone past; this time it was difficult to gauge how much time went by at all, a few months, a year, it all seems possible. Throw in the fact Jesse's timeline is much shorter (the night he tries to escape is only a week after being captured) and it makes for muddled viewing really. I'm not sure how they could have made the timeline clearer and they obviously knew it was a bit confusing (after all they wouldn't have red out the timeline on Talking Bad if they thought it was clear) but I feel like they didn't try and make it that clear really. I don't work in TV though, these things are probably harder than they look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

cloudatlas wrote: »
    I'd like to find out what happened with Grey matter but I don't think we will

Walt had a crush on Gretchen and yet she chose to marry Elliott, the scorned lover boy took a hike. Oh, and it's Gray Matter, not Grey Matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

When Lydia visits Walt in 'Blood money' she doesn't mention that Todd hasn't been able to replicate the blue colour she just tells him there's a problem and the meth is 68%. Walt probably knows that Todd's meth cooking abilities are poor so it gets his attention when he hears the signature blue meth is being distributed in Europe simple as, think people are being a bit too nit picky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Torqay wrote: »
    Walt had a crush on Gretchen and yet she chose to marry Elliott, the scorned lover boy took a hike. Oh, and it's Gray Matter, not Grey Matter.
    I could be wrong but wasn't Walt actually in a relationship with Gretchen at one point? I thought I remembered a flashback scene (him explaining some formula) where it was clear they were a couple. Bit different to your best friend marrying someone you have a crush on and marrying your ex. I also had the impression (again I could be misremembering) he was forced out rather than choosing to leave. I'm less sure about that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

"92%? That's Heisenberg level."

272995.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Torqay wrote: »

Jaysus, I think a lot of the posters on here have been scorned by women or are anticipating being scorned by women :D Essien said it best earlier: "I need the biggest most bad a$s machine gun you've got, I've got a score to settle.
    Who's the target?
    Two defenceless, completely unsuspecting, middle aged, upper class nerds....one of whom is a small woman"

This conversation never happened, the gun is for the Nazis." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

On the train this morning going to college I let out a yelp while watch Andrea,poor Brock. That opie Bastard Todd is evil. I am 100% rooting for Heisenberg after that ending. There is only so many ways this can go now with one episode left, I really hope we get a look at those newspapers in the DVD box set special features when all this is over, so much left unsaid.

It has been over a year since Jack and the Nazis stole the money,how much of it will they have left,will they even still be there or will it just be Todd and Jessie,Walter Jr(Flynn) didn't change his name to Skylers maiden name,that is intriguing. He is also unsurprised to hear Aunt Marie is on the phone for him meaning they are still in contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bellinter

How do you suppose it's over a year since they stole the money? Really can't get a handle on the time myself, but felt like no more than 3/4 months max?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I could be wrong but wasn't Walt actually in a relationship with Gretchen at one point? I thought I remembered a flashback scene (him explaining some formula) where it was clear they were a couple. Bit different to your best friend marrying someone you have a crush on and marrying your ex. I also had the impression (again I could be misremembering) he was forced out rather than choosing to leave. I'm less sure about that though.

http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Gray_Matter_Technologies

They were dating but his reasons for leaving her and selling his shares was never properly explained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

On the train this morning going to college I let out a yelp while watch Andrea,poor Brock. That opie Bastard Todd is evil. I am 100% rooting for Heisenberg after that ending. There is only so many ways this can go now with one episode left, I really hope we get a look at those newspapers in the DVD box set special features when all this is over, so much left unsaid.

It has been over a year since Jack and the Nazis stole the money,how much of it will they have left,will they even still be there or will it just be Todd and Jessie,Walter Jr(Flynn) didn't change his name to Skylers maiden name,that is intriguing. He is also unsurprised to hear Aunt Marie is on the phone for him meaning they are still in contact.

You sure about that? I thought it was more like two months. Either way, long enough for them to have found a safe place to store it, a place where Walt will not be able to find it.

Also, I don't know how you (like myself:D) or anyone can somehow still root for Walt/Heisenberg!! It makes no sense, we should all hate the guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

In relation to the timeframe, In episode 4 of Season 5, Walt turns 51. At the end of the first half of Season 5 last year, we know Walt sold meth to Lydia for quite a while but for how long is unknown (enough to accumulate $80 million anyway) and then retires. In the flashforward he is 52, which we can assume is no more than a few days after the bar scene. So it would make sense if he was in the cabin for a few months only.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bellinter

Also, I don't know how you (like myself:D) or anyone can somehow still root for Walt/Heisenberg!! It makes no sense, we should all hate the guy!

Still fully behind Heisenberg strutting off into the sunset with Flynn's principal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

He was in the cabin for one month.... no?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

irishfeen wrote: »
    Have to disagree there, it sets it up perfectly for next week... it had to have been someone "outside" who he probably had a lot of time for (once upon a time) to make him finally realise that he is no longer Walt and has lost just about everything... now its just Heisenberg's ego left.

Yes it does it up perfectly. However the audience should have already known this. We didn't need Gretchen to spell it out so literally for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Holsten wrote: »

Judging by the hair on his head i'd say not!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I think he was only in the cabin a month. Ed mentioned that it was his second time performing chemotherapy but that he watched a youtube video (lol) and feels this attempt will be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Think I got my times wrong,it must have been a few months though how many who knows, not a year though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

Holsten wrote: »

It wasn't his first time being hooked up to the drip, so it must of been a least two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

FInally watched this episode, some of the shots were fantastic - the measure of whiskey in particular. It really at this point feels like an epilogue. The main series feels done to me, this is the epilogue. Really looking forward to the last episode!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    I think he was only in the cabin a month. Ed mentioned that it was his second time performing chemotherapy but that he watched a youtube video (lol) and feels this attempt will be better.

He was in the cabin for months, look at his hair growth, declining health, he had lost so much weight his wedding ring fell off, Ed saying he can put the needle in better this time hinting it wasnt the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

It was 3-4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »

Ed has performed the drip before, "sorry about last time", he comes with prescription glasses, the chemo/drip, (things walt probably would have put on the 'list') and some drinks to keep walt's weight up.. judging by that I think its safe to say walt has been there two months at least.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

bryan cranston has already won 3 in a row for Breaking Bad

aaron paul didn't get an emmy either.

he deserved it just for that episode when he had dinner with walt and skyler. the look he gave when he was drinking the glass of water was hilarious.

Jesse-Pinkman-Breaking-Bad-Drinking-Water.gif

Is Jesse supposed to be drunk/on drugs at that dinner? It never made sense to me

Advertisement