Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I may be imagining it but I think the quality has improved slightly in the last few months since Setanta Sports1 merged with Premier Sports.
    I actually haven't watched Setanta in quiet a few months so you may be right, although any improvement would be minuscule rather then a HD version.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,550 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

icdg wrote: »
    With today's confirmation that all Premier League games will be on Setanta Sports 1 from now on, we can presume that the Setanta Sports 1 - Premier Sports merger will be undone shortly.

Will they not just have a blackout during the matches like they have with the GAA ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

mollser wrote: »
    http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/aug/15/bt-sport-virgin-media-tv

Despite all the whinging going on here and on other places (facebook), I often felt that UPC should have played serious hardball with Setanta on this one.

Their sister co. in the UK has struck a great deal (albeit late), all channels included on the top tier XL Virgin Media package.

Well done to them, I wonder will Setanta go back to the drawing board on this one? Seriously doubt many people will be subscribing to it, I hope not anyway

Had UPC done that i could have seen many of sky subs dropping for UPC and they would have made the money back no doubt.

Will they not just have a blackout during the matches like they have with the GAA ?
    Yes they might actually do this but it really does not look good in terms of UK subscribers to Premier Sports ... 2.30-5pm each Saturday off air on a subscription channel... Don't think that would be a wise move on Setanta's behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭batistuta9

irishfeen wrote: »
    Yes they might actually do this but it really does not look good in terms of UK subscribers to Premier Sports ... 2.30-5pm each Saturday off air on a subscription channel... Don't think that would be a wise move on Setanta's behalf.

bunesliga?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/aug/15/bt-sport-virgin-media-tv

Despite all the whinging going on here and on other places (facebook), I often felt that UPC should have played serious hardball with Setanta on this one.

Their sister co. in the UK has struck a great deal (albeit late), all channels included on the top tier XL Virgin Media package.

Well done to them, I wonder will Setanta go back to the drawing board on this one? Seriously doubt many people will be subscribing to it, I hope not anyway

Setanta have had huge take up on new subscriptions
    As most users from UK and Ireland use Sky Dish to recieve there TV freesat or a sky subscription

Cable like UPC Ireland /BT Vision /Virgin Media
    is less for now than Sky dish use but is increasing with triple broadband/TV/Phone package

Lucky Virgin Media users but they don't get the Setanta channels in that package only BT Sport/Espn

Setanta are getting lot of new business
    It just customers in Ireland we have only got 2 choices
    Sky or UPC with a setanta pack and that won't change for now and no choice to as BT Sport choosed not to deal seperate with sky or upc or magnet etc in Ireland

batistuta9 wrote: »
    bunesliga?
    That's on BT, not Premier Sports... Premier Sports is a standalone channel in the UK with no partnership in place so people subscribing to Premier would be subject to "this program is not available".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭batistuta9

irishfeen wrote: »
    That's on BT, not Premier Sports... Premier Sports is a standalone channel in the UK with no partnership in place so people subscribing to Premier would be subject to "this program is not available".

is it just the name for setanta 1 in the UK?

they could show something though if the wanted could they?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

As I explained yesterday, the problem is that Premier Sports have committed to show every game in the Rugby League World Cup and there are fixture clashes with the Premier League every Saturday other than 16th November for the duration of the tournament (as well as the possibility of a clash with qualifying for the Abu Dhabi GP, though that would be on Setanta Ireland anyway). Premier Sports closed their second channel during the summer too so that's not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mollser

I'm not so sure. Upc subscribers already get setanta, so paying setanta 1 is hardly that attractive.

Huge increase? Maybe for them Yes given they probably had close to zero to begin with from upc, but what percentage of upc max subscribers are really going to pay for it? 5 or 10%? 100 customers at 3 euro per subscriber >>> 10 customers at 16. Add the increased advertising potential in and you suddenly have an attractive deal.

This is what vm did, it's what the original espn deal was shaped like, and it's what I fully expected to happen here. Not sure if upc panicked into it, I wish they continued to take the flak but end up with a good deal for all subscribers as the uk folk have :(
    paulboland wrote: »
    Setanta have had huge take up on new subscriptions
    As most users from UK and Ireland use Sky Dish to recieve there TV freesat or a sky subscription

Cable like UPC Ireland /BT Vision /Virgin Media
    is less for now than Sky dish use but is increasing with triple broadband/TV/Phone package

Lucky Virgin Media users but they don't get the Setanta channels in that package only BT Sport/Espn

Setanta are getting lot of new business
    It just customers in Ireland we have only got 2 choices
    Sky or UPC with a setanta pack and that won't change for now and no choice to as BT Sport choosed not to deal seperate with sky or upc or magnet etc in Ireland

• Advertisement

batistuta9 wrote: »
    is it just the name for setanta 1 in the UK?

they could show something though if the wanted could they?
    No you see at the minute Setanta Sports 1/Premier Sports are the same channel with the channel being named differently on the Irish/UK EPG's... as such Setanta Sports 1 does not exist until the time when Premier Sports is blocked in the UK by Setanta HQ during PL broadcasts (other way round for GAA in Ireland which RTE has the rights).. This was done to save money a few months back when Setanta were looking behind the sofa for a few quid.

As I explained yesterday, the problem is that Premier Sports have committed to show every game in the Rugby League World Cup and there are fixture clashes with the Premier League every Saturday other than 16th November for the duration of the tournament (as well as the possibility of a clash with qualifying for the Abu Dhabi GP, though that would be on Setanta Ireland anyway). Premier Sports closed their second channel during the summer too so that's not an option.
    Used the second Prem Sports Extra actually broadcast? .. I never remember seeing programming actually being played out on it .

I'm not so sure. Upc subscribers already get setanta, so paying setanta 1 is hardly that attractive.

Huge increase? Maybe for them Yes given they probably had close to zero to begin with from upc, but what percentage of upc max subscribers are really going to pay for it? 5 or 10%? 100 customers at 3 euro per subscriber >>> 10 customers at 16. Add the increased advertising potential in and you suddenly have an attractive deal.

This is what vm did, it's what the original espn deal was shaped like, and it's what I fully expected to happen here. Not sure if upc panicked into it, I wish they continued to take the flak but end up with a good deal for all subscribers as the uk folk have :(

UK is virgin media only

We can give out as much as we want
    And we have and yes lot of unhappy customers

BT sport decided for Rep of Ireland that Setanta got exclusive rights to broadcast there channels

UPC tried to deal with BT Sport and were told sorry speak to Setanta

In the UK the premiere games on Setanta are not part of BT Sport

UK users have to take out a subscription with BT Sport and seperate Subscription with Setanta to see all 71 games

Cable providers in UK can deal direct with BT Sport to do a deal then decide who there customers get BT Sport or Espn

REP OF IRELAND
    Don't have the option to deal direct with BT Sport
    They Only have 1 choice a deal with Setanta
    With Setanta now having 5 channels instead of only 2

If BT Sport had of not gone with Setanta for Ireland
    UPC customers would have got a better deal

Setanta now are in very strong position
    Even if customers don't care about Setanta Ireland or Setanta Sports 1 channels

To get BT Sport 1 BT Sport 2 and Espn customers have no choice but use Setanta by using Sky or Upc

End of the day customers who want to watch BT Sport or Espn will take a Setanta Subscription
    Setanta win regeardless how much we don't like it
    You me or anyone giving out wont change that

Before we all had to take out Espn subscribtion then 2-3 years later sky and upc gave it free

BT sport won't do that until at least 3 yerars if they even do then decide that

Next 3 years its simple in rep of Ireland Setanta have control

Before we all had to take out Espn subscribtion then 2-3 years later sky and upc gave it free

4 months, not 2-3 years. ESPN was launched as a standalone premium channel on UPC on 14th August 2009 and was added to the Select and Max packs on 4th January 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Delta2113

kooga wrote: »
    nothing on the tv listings for this saturday re highlights package!

Premier League Central - Saturday and Sunday on Setanta Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

At least the situation with Setanta on the Eircom Sportshub website has now been cleared up with the following from Setanta's Facebook page:
    Eircom customers will be able to continue to watch the Setanta Ireland channel but no Live Premier League games are on this channel.

However Setanta's highlights package will be available at least.

4 months, not 2-3 years. ESPN was launched as a standalone premium channel on UPC on 14th August 2009 and was added to the Select and Max packs on 4th January 2010.
    Sky was 2 years July 22nd 2011 became free as parts of sky sports package

All are giving out will mean notting it's BT Sports Decision in regard to Rep of Ireland

Makes no difference Setanta have exclusive rights in Rep of Ireland to broadcast BT Sport channels for next 3 Years

Setanta will not give BT Sport for free it won't happen period

I would love as would every upc or sky customer in Ireland have BT sport or espn for free but Setanta know there in a win win situation here they only but gain from this and are in total control how the channels are received for next 3 years
    Lets hope after that BT Sport drop Setanta and let UPC or Sky deal direct

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭marco2068

Sky was 2 years July 22nd 2011 became free as parts of sky sports package

All are giving out will mean notting it's BT Sports Decision in regard to Rep of Ireland

Makes no difference Setanta have exclusive rights in Rep of Ireland to broadcast BT Sport channels for next 3 Years

Setanta will not give BT Sport for free it won't happen period

I would love as would every upc or sky customer in Ireland have BT sport or espn for free but Setanta know there in a win win situation here they only but gain from this and are in total control how the channels are received for next 3 years
    Lets hope after that BT Sport drop Setanta and let UPC or Sky deal direct

Why exactly do you hope for this? Setanta are an irish company who i would like to support, And now with the tie up with bt we get 5 good sports channels with a wide aray of sports.

Being able to get all this for €20 a month is a far better deal than paying €60 odd quid to be able to get sky sports.

If you were able to get sky sports on its own for €35 you might have an argument. But 20 yo yos for 71 pl games baseball bundesliga nascar and a pile of other sports is a winner for me.

Be careful what you wish for.

marco2068 wrote: »
    Why exactly do you hope for this? Setanta are an irish company who i would like to support, And now with the tie up with bt we get 5 good sports channels with a wide aray of sports.

Being able to get all this for €20 a month is a far better deal than paying €60 odd quid to be able to get sky sports.

If you were able to get sky sports on its own for €35 you might have an argument. But 20 yo yos for 71 pl games baseball bundesliga nascar and a pile of other sports is a winner for me.

Be careful what you wish for.

This I find funny you must not have been
    Reading my previous posts
    If you did you would have seen I said was a good deal 5 channels

Read previous posts
    This is the first post that's not from me that supports Setanta

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

This I find funny you must not have been
    Reading my previous posts
    If you did you would have seen I said was a good deal 5 channels

Read previous posts
    This is the first post that's not from me that supports Setanta

Your other posts mean nothing when you come out and say you hope BT drops Setanta and deal directly with Sky/UPC. Contradicting yourself there

• Advertisement

lertsnim wrote: »
    Your other posts mean nothing when you come out and say you hope BT drops Setanta and deal directly with Sky/UPC. Contradicting yourself there

Why would you not prefer if sky or upc could deal direct with BT Sport
    My post was to point out all the moaning everyone making and I do say its a good deal on my previous posts as I have myself subscribed with Setanta

This thread and similar threads are same giving out at loosing espn it's gone end off they no longer exist
    And having to pay for BT Sport
    If you want BT Sport subscribe to Setanta

The deal is done and will remain for next 3 years

I only mentioned BT Sport dropping Setanta and upc or sky getting better deal for its customers
    As some think that can happen now upc can't deal with BT sport direct nor can sky
    Others mentioning virgin media deal has no relavence to rep of Ireland

Other posts In this thread have more relavence as its giving information about highlights discussion and what match on what channel Setanta sports 1 or BT sport 1

I don't know what some posters are looking for
    But for those who want BT sport for free in rep of Ireland that won't happen
    Setanta are getting lot of business

So for those who do want it free you will have to wait until BT Sport decide to renew its deals

I would rather see this thread and other similar discuss the the broadcast itself or info on future broadcasts

You will see every day in this thread and similar
    Same why espn gone why I have to pay
    It's a dead story and what deals virgin media get has no relevance to rep of Ireland

I much perfer to see after this Saturday
    What you think of picture or sound quality of the match or provide info to next match and channel it's on

There has been lot of moaning
    Lets just enjoy the new season
    And hope whatever team you support wins
    As long as your not man united dont want them to win lol
    Liverpool fan speaking
    Only joking ok

This thread and similar threads are same giving out at loosing espn it's gone end off they no longer exist
    And having to pay for BT Sport
    If you want BT Sport subscribe to Setanta

The deal is done and will remain for next 3 years

Hold on a second now Paul. You're not a moderator here - in fact you're a relatively new poster -and its not for you to decide whats on and off topic for a thread. As a new poster I've displayed a certain amount of latitude towards your tendencies toward back-seat moderating and to sum up every fact to do with a topic in every post - both here and in the Horizon thread - but I think now at this stage I have to say something.

Don't get me wrong, your contributions are welcome - but I can please ask you to keep them to anything new you have to add - its not necessary to repeat everything you've said in a thread over and over again, your posts are getting rather long at this stage.

The anger here is very understandable. For nearly ten years UPC/NTL viewers have had access to at least 13 Premier League games included in their basic tier package, firstly with RTÉ, then from 2007 onwards, Setanta gave a committment to UPC to screen at least 16 games on Setanta Ireland. And for the past three years we've had 23 additional included games on ESPN. All that is suddenly gone and it removes UPC's big selling point over Sky. I'm still not sure why UPC negotiated away the 16 games on Setanta Ireland, I can't think of what they had to gain from it.

Now UPC face the task of trying to sell Horizon (a tricky sale at best) at the same time of asking people to pay the same again for BT Sport, for essentially content that was included in their basic package. It'll be a tricky sell and I wouldn't be surprised if they lose some customers who were subscribed principally for the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭Brian017

What's the craic with Setanta's highlights when there's a full midweek fixture especially around the Christmas/NeW Year period? Will a highlights show get shown or is it solely a weekend thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

. I'm still not sure why UPC negotiated away the 16 games on Setanta Ireland, I can't think of what they had to gain from it.

Now UPC face the task of trying to sell Horizon (a tricky sale at best) at the same time of asking people to pay the same again for BT Sport, for essentially content that was included in their basic package. It'll be a tricky sell and I wouldn't be surprised if they lose some customers who were subscribed principally for the sport.

It makes all the more questionable when Virgin have agreed a deal with BT to provide it free for the XL customers in the UK. I wonder did UPC drop the ball and try and play hardball with BT then Setanta saw their opportunity and agreed that the extra 3euro(or even 5euro of the 19.99) is going straight to BT's pockets?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Now that most (3 million out of 4 million) Virgin Media UK customers are getting the BT sports channels for free, does that have any impact on UPC Ireland customers? Given, of course, that Virgin Media is now part of the greater Liberty Global group.

(yeah, I'm grasping at straws...)

Edit - Big oops. You'd have thought I'd have read the post immediately above!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

guys i think its more to do that BT really have no interest in TV provision in ROI and decided to offload the advertising and distribution of BT Sports in the ROI to Setanta, effectively the middle man and if UPC wanted BT sports they had to deal with Setanta.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭marco2068

It makes all the more questionable when Virgin have agreed a deal with BT to provide it free for the XL customers in the UK. I wonder did UPC drop the ball and try and play hardball with BT then Setanta saw their opportunity and agreed that the extra 3euro(or even 5euro of the 19.99) is going straight to BT's pockets?
    who_me wrote: »
    Now that most (3 million out of 4 million) Virgin Media UK customers are getting the BT sports channels for free, does that have any impact on UPC Ireland customers? Given, of course, that Virgin Media is now part of the greater Liberty Global group.

(yeah, I'm grasping at straws...)

Edit - Big oops. You'd have thought I'd have read the post immediately above!!! :(

Free is not really the right word when virgin paid £200million to get bt sports for 3 years. It was solely to get as many customers back off sky as possible.

I don't think you'll ever see bt sports provided free, especially not on sky. I could be wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Setanta getting premier soccer Saturday equivalent is bad news for punters with just an Irish terrestrial service-they now have no Prem league soccer fta-at least UK viewers in same boat can get it thru their aerial on bbc. Another loss for our joke national TV service.

Amid all this bad news there's some good news, French Top 14 Rugby is back on Setanta Ireland this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Amid all this bad news there's some good news, French Top 14 Rugby is back on Setanta Ireland this year.

not live all games this weekend on bt sport including Toulon v Montpellier live at the mo.

Advertisement