Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭marco2068

Does anyone know where i can get a proper listings of whats on btsports and espn. Its easy to find the footy fixtures but a pain to find out what else is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Brian017

marco2068 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where i can get a proper listings of whats on btsports and espn. Its easy to find the footy fixtures but a pain to find out what else is on.
    http://sport.bt.com/watch-now-01363810618853

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭theglobe

so how much is this bt and espn thingy going to set me back a month?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭marco2068

theglobe wrote: »
    so how much is this bt and espn thingy going to set me back a month?

Are you that lasy you cant have a read or quick look trough the tread or the setanta website?

The answer is €20 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

paulboland wrote: »
    11680 V 27500 2/3
    11681 V 27500 2/3

Use Premier Sports

Premier Sports is not available on an Irish Sub - its a UK channel only

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Infoanon wrote: »
    Premier Sports is not available on an Irish Sub - its a UK channel only
    I used it yesterday it worked I put the channel into other channels
    I watched the Arsenal v Aston Villa using Premier Sports
    Its possible I was able yesterday to use as it was a setanta sports 1 broadcast on premier sports
    when its not a setanta sports 1 broadcast premier sports will show this programme is not available if its a blocked programme outside of the UK
    Picture Quality was a bit better not amazing better but made a bit of a difference

Note Setanta Sports 1 on sky is blocked at the moment will not be able to view channel till 5.35pm
    Try Premier sports after 5.35pm

Note UPC Setanta Sports 1 not affected as they broadcast a different stream than sky use
    I wonder will this happen every Sunday on Sky broadcast of Setanta Sports 1 be closed from 13.00-17.35

Edit 17.35
    Premier available to view now
    I'm watching the channel right now as I type this
    using add channels its better picture quality

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

paulboland wrote: »
    Note UPC Setanta Sports 1 not affected as they broadcast a different stream than sky use
    I wonder will this happen every Sunday on Sky broadcast of Setanta Sports 1 be closed from 13.00-17.35

Its because of live GAA which is broadcast at that time and will be until the end of September. The rights to these games are held by RTÉ and TV3 in Ireland so they cannot be broadcast here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Completely pointless having Toulon v Racing Metro on both Setanta Ireland (SD) and on ESPN HD... Makes the picture quality of SI look even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

irishfeen wrote: »
    Completely pointless having Toulon v Racing Metro on both Setanta Ireland (SD) and on ESPN HD... Makes the picture quality of SI look even worse.

Taking HD out of the equation it is still absolutely pointless. Benefits only UPC viewers without the Setanta pack

lertsnim wrote: »
    Taking HD out of the equation it is still absolutely pointless. Benefits only UPC viewers without the Setanta pack
    Yeah its annoying if anything, this obviously answers question of Europa League games ... we will probably see the exact same games on Setanta and ESPN/BT so no increase in games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

Why set up an HD channel when they can use ESPN as their HD channel. :P :pac:

sigmundv wrote: »
    Why set up an HD channel when they can use ESPN as their HD channel. :P :pac:
    :) ... well that must be it haha

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭mbutler2007

Satanta Ireland is free on UPC so i guess that is why it is on booth. ESPN is the same feed as in the UK. any one thins satanta Irland is likly to come to saorview?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭mickko

Satanta Ireland is free on UPC so i guess that is why it is on booth. ESPN is the same feed as in the UK. any one thins satanta Irland is likly to come to saorview?

Setanta Ireland is not free anywhere. You pay for it within your basic sub to UPC. In fact, UPC pay the highest wholesale rate for this channel compared to any other on their entry pack.
    So for this reason, no, it will never be on Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭OldRio

It could easily be put on Saorview as a pay monthly channel.
    Sky used to do it in the UK on freeview (UK version of saorview) and BT have 2 channels on freeview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tom Hanks

OldRio wrote: »
    Sky used to do it in the UK on freeview (UK version of saorview) and BT have 2 channels on freeview.

That won't happen m8 here imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭OldRio

I can live in hope:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Yeah its annoying if anything, this obviously answers question of Europa League games ... we will probably see the exact same games on Setanta and ESPN/BT so no increase in games.

Not necessarily, for two reasons. Lets assume, and I think given their leads in the play off round (and Tottenham's five away goals)its a fair assumption, that both Swansea and Tottenham qualify for the group stages.

The first reason is that 3e only has first pick in Ireland, though it can use that first pick at either 6:00pm or 8:00pm. ITV has two first picks, one each at 6:00pm and 8:00pm. That means that one more game is available to Setanta than is available to BT/ESPN.

The second reason is choice of games. 3e can (and I'd imagine will) show Tottenham every week during the group. ITV don't have that luxury and would come under pressure to feature Wigan and Swansea equally.

In other words, don't assume Setanta and ESPN will have the same games available to them, after 3e and ITV have picked.
    lertsnim wrote: »

You're looking at it from a a particular point of view, that of a viewer, and a satellite subscriber to boot, who has to pay either way for Setanta Ireland and ESPN. But look at it this way. Racing Metro 92 currently has a lot of Irish interest with Jonathan Sexton playing and Ronan O'Gara on the coaching staff. Nonetheless, its never gonna drive subscriptions on its own in the way the Premier League does. Its something of interest if its on, but not a compelling reason to subscribe.

Now Setanta get the subscription money if the games on ESPN, that's true, but they get no advertising revenue. On the other hand if they show it on Setanta Ireland they get the advertising revenue. Now remember that every UPC customer has Setanta Ireland so this is a lot of homes to sell advertising revenue.

It seems to work, Setanta even managed to attract a sponsor for their coverage. In my local last night all the TVs were tuned to Setanta Ireland and showing the match, if that was reflected across the city that's a big success for Setanta.

I would go as far as saying it definitely wont happen in the short - medium term, if ever.. Saorview aren't even selling set-top boxes with card slots so pay DTT isn't even physically possible.

icdg wrote: »
    Not necessarily, for two reasons. Lets assume, and I think given their leads in the play off round (and Tottenham's five away goals)its a fair assumption, that both Swansea and Tottenham qualify for the group stages.

The first reason is that 3e only has first pick in Ireland, though it can use that first pick at either 6:00pm or 8:00pm. ITV has two first picks, one each at 6:00pm and 8:00pm. That means that one more game is available to Setanta than is available to BT/ESPN.

The second reason is choice of games. 3e can (and I'd imagine will) show Tottenham every week during the group. ITV don't have that luxury and would come under pressure to feature Wigan and Swansea equally.

In other words, don't assume Setanta and ESPN will have the same games available to them, after 3e and ITV have picked.

You're looking at it from a a particular point of view, that of a viewer, and a satellite subscriber to boot, who has to pay either way for Setanta Ireland and ESPN. But look at it this way. Racing Metro 92 currently has a lot of Irish interest with Jonathan Sexton playing and Ronan O'Gara on the coaching staff. Nonetheless, its never gonna drive subscriptions on its own in the way the Premier League does. Its something of interest if its on, but not a compelling reason to subscribe.

Now Setanta get the subscription money if the games on ESPN, that's true, but they get no advertising revenue. On the other hand if they show it on Setanta Ireland they get the advertising revenue. Now remember that every UPC customer has Setanta Ireland so this is a lot of homes to sell advertising revenue.

It seems to work, Setanta even managed to attract a sponsor for their coverage. In my local last night all the TVs were tuned to Setanta Ireland and showing the match, if that was reflected across the city that's a big success for Setanta.
    I really hope you are right icdg about Setanta broadcasting different matches from BT/ESPN ... but I have my doubts. As for the advertisement revenue they might loose... its simple they should launch BT 1/2 and ESPN as standalone Irish variations with Irish advertisements. I'm very sure an agreement could be made with BT to do it and the extra subscriptions would pay for the initial cost, there after they could broadcast different matches/programming while also getting Irish advertisement revenue to boot on every channel in the "Setanta Pack".

• Advertisement

Problem is there's no encryption/decryption solution for Saorview yet.
    A 2nd Mux would need to be implemented nationwide as well.
    I can't see this happening for a long time, if ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭mbutler2007

mickko wrote: »
    Problem is there's no encryption/decryption solution for Saorview yet.
    A 2nd Mux would need to be implemented nationwide as well.
    I can't see this happening for a long time, if ever.
    I would go as far as saying it definitely wont happen in the short - medium term, if ever.. Saorview aren't even selling set-top boxes with card slots so pay DTT isn't even physically possible.

i did not mean on a pay DTT system , i ment just put setanta Ireland on for free. to get more ratting, all the top sport seems to be on setanta 1 and BT/ESPN , it would be like a way to try and promo the outer channels and drive pay subs

i did not mean on a pay DTT system , i ment just put setanta Ireland on for free. to get more ratting, all the top sport seems to be on setanta 1 and BT/ESPN , it would be like a way to try and promo the outer channels and drive pay subs
    Ah yeah I have been saying that too for years, The should launch FTA on Saorview so they could buy rights that need to be FTA under legislation (World Cup, European Championships, Olympics etc) and also showcase the rest of their rights portfolio with some free live programming (odd PL game, F1 etc) ... it would also massively increase their potential to attract major advertisement revenue.

Promote the other channels and drive pay subs on which platform??
    A Pay DTT one that does not exist yet?
    Or Pay Cable platform where they are receiving revenue from every pay sub already for Setanta Ireland?

As I said already, Setanta charge cable ops for this channel. They receive very lucrative revenue for it.
    They are not just going to put the channel on a free platform, and shoot themselves, and their broadcast partners in the foot.

Do you think they would allow a UPC customer who's paying for it within their basic subscription, to be able to get this channel for free on rabbit ears?
    That scenario would be economic suicide and I'm fairly sure UPC would take issue with it.

The only way it could viably be carried for free on Saorview is if the customer could upgrade to the premium on a pay DTT platform, which does not exist yet.
    Even that scenario would pose many issues. For one, it would be more expensive to compensate for losses in airing Setanta Ireland for free.

Won't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tom Hanks

Setanta for the first time with an exceptional SD picture on 28e for the 3pm EPL

Tom Hanks wrote: »
    Setanta for the first time with an exceptional SD picture on 28e for the 3pm EPL
    Still looks the same to me to be honest, its funny a buddy of mine remarked straight away when BT 1 HD was turned off and Setanta put on that there was a major difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

agree not the worst pic quality. this week that prize went to 3e for the celtic away match in k....stan!

Although the ads and studio stuff doesn't look as bad as usual.. you may be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭energy1942

I recall that when Bt sport where showing the trailer prior to launch, it stated Europa league football would be shown in the UK only, therefore I expect that
    Europa league football on Bt sport or ESPN will remain encrypted here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

A feast of football on the Setanta Pack today.

German Bundesliga
    Eintracht Braunschweig v Eintracht Frankfurt 2pm BT Sport 1
    Augsburg v Stuttgart 4:30pm BT Sport 1

Italian Serie A
    Inter Milan v Genoa 5pm BT Sport 2
    Lazio v Udinese 7:30pm BT Sport 1
    Napoli v Bologna 7:40pm Setanta Ireland

French Ligue 1
    Lille v St. Etienne 1pm BT Sport 2
    Ajaccio v Nice 4pm ESPN
    Nantes v PSG 8pm BT Sport 2

American MLS