Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Podge_irl wrote: »
    No one ****ing knows the game is on when you're in London. Most locals thought I was a Chelsea fan after the final there.

Yep. The bars around the ground close at about 9 and then the rugby crowd disperses and is just swallowed up by the hugeness of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Podge_irl wrote: »
    No one ****ing knows the game is on when you're in London. Most locals thought I was a Chelsea fan after the final there.

Same happened to me, at the Heineken final in 2012 I was talking to a bar man(who was definitely British) and he had never heard of the Heineken Cup and he saw my Leinster jersey and didn't know what sport it was for, it was bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Same happened to me, at the Heineken final in 2012 I was talking to a bar man(who was definitely British) and he had never heard of the Heineken Cup and he saw my Leinster jersey and didn't know what sport it was for, it was bizarre.

80% + of England wouldn't know what a Leinster jersey is. Nothing bizarre about it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Hoping we have another good season, a repeat of last season would do.

Top 4 in Europe at the moment imo

Toulon/Clermont/Toulouse/Racing

Next 4

Leicester/Munster/Leinster/Ulster.

So a semi final H cup would do me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Rightwing wrote: »

Next 4

I would put Saracens or Northampton ahead of Munster in that next 4 ! Not a wind up either, just do not see them in there. Ulster yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭finatron

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    I would put Saracens or Northampton ahead of Munster in that next 4 ! Not a wind up either, just do not see them in there. Ulster yes.

A poor Munster team was able to handle both these teams in the last 2 sessions and make a Simi last sessions no way there ahead of Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The performances in the Rabo need to improve considerably. No more losses at home to mediocre opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Next 4

Leinster are the top ranked team in Europe so don't know how you consider them not even in the top 4!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

finatron wrote: »
    A poor Munster team was able to handle both these teams in the last 2 sessions and make a Simi last sessions no way there ahead of Munster

In fairness it was 1-1 against Saracens last season. There's not much between the sides. And don't forget Munster wouldn't have made the QF had it not been for a joke shop Edinburgh side in rounds 2 and 5 plus a totally disinterested Racing side in round 6. The return of POC changed everything for the QF but had Munster had a tougher group then they wouldn't have made the QF.

As for this season you'd expect them to get a home QF with another relatively handy group. Gloucester are no great shakes, Perpignan didn't qualify on their own and haven't looked great in some time and Edinburgh seem to be in a bit of a shambles. And while you'd fancy them to win a home QF you have to remember they could be hosting a top notch side given how some of the pools have gone. Clermont, Toulouse, Racing, Ulster and Leicester are all quite possible QF opponents. It will be an interesting season for Munster and a lot will hang on how Penney wants the team to play. Has he defaulted back to the "old" Munster, will he try and get his own game plan back up and running or will it be something new?

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Leinster are the top ranked team in Europe so don't know how you consider them not even in the top 4!

A full strength Leinster side this season could probably take on Clermont and Toulon anyway. Toulouse aren't what they were so we should be able to push them. And Racing are a bit of an unknown right now. Personally I'd go with:

Top 4: Leinster/Clermont/Toulon/Racing

followed by:

Leicester/Munster/Ulster/Toulouse

None of them being in any particular order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I think this season generally is a complete unknown.

Racing have a host of new players.

Clermont have aged, will be shaken by last season's collapse and crucial players have been badly undermined by the coach.

Toulon need to repeat their hunger which is a very difficult thing to do especially as they lost the T14 at the last hurdle which will surely occupy their main focus.

Toulouse have seen some serious players and experience leave (Jauzion, Bouilhou, Burgess, Poux, Servat).

Leinster have lost both their coach and Sexton and Nacewa.

Munster have lost two massive players in ROG and Howlett.

Leicester have lost their coach and depth and experience in Murphy, Deacon and Castro.

Northampton have lost Mujati, Tonga'uiha and a number of squad players.

It's very, very up in the air this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Quint2010 wrote: »

Now, in fairness, the rankings are always purely historical... so while sometimes they can be accurate, they don't take into account current form/new signings/departures, etc.

Leinster may well still be in the top 4 teams in Europe, but I think I'm gonna wait and see how they cope without Sexton and Nacewa, and with BOD a year older before passing judgment.

I wonder should someone like Castres be counted too. They might not perform that well in Europe, but they did win the Top 14, they are a quality side.
    finatron wrote: »

I don't think Munster are miles ahead of either Saracens or Northampton, but they're certainly not behind them. On par, at the very least imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

molloyjh wrote: »
    In fairness it was 1-1 against Saracens last season. There's not much between the sides. And don't forget Munster wouldn't have made the QF had it not been for a joke shop Edinburgh side in rounds 2 and 5 plus a totally disinterested Racing side in round 6. The return of POC changed everything for the QF but had Munster had a tougher group then they wouldn't have made the QF.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda. The fact is they were narrowly beaten in a semi by the outstanding favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

As for this season you'd expect them to get a home QF with another relatively handy group. Gloucester are no great shakes, Perpignan didn't qualify on their own and haven't looked great in some time and Edinburgh seem to be in a bit of a shambles. And while you'd fancy them to win a home QF you have to remember they could be hosting a top notch side given how some of the pools have gone. Clermont, Toulouse, Racing, Ulster and Leicester are all quite possible QF opponents. It will be an interesting season for Munster and a lot will hang on how Penney wants the team to play. Has he defaulted back to the "old" Munster, will he try and get his own game plan back up and running or will it be something new?

Munster got a losing bonus point away to Saracens (19-13) - and that was without POC. Ulster didn't turn up (final score 27-16 to Sarries).

Munster have the easier pool and have a good chance of a home QF which will make it very hard for any of the French teams. Clermont are on the slide now and need to rebuild - Munster would be confident against them at home after their performance last season down there. Toulouse have slipped a bit and if you look at how long it took Toulon to get going with all their star players, it might take a season or two for Racing to gel. I'd imagine that the Top 14 would be first thing on their agenda anyway and they are in a very difficult group.

Penney was using the Rabo to develop a 2nd string to Munster bow - he has always said that he was never trying to ditch the 'old' Munster.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda. The fact is they were narrowly beaten in a semi by the outstanding favourite.

That's it. Take one game in isolation and ignore the rest of the season. That'll paint an accurate picture.

My point was a poor Munster side did not make the SF. A poor Munster side made a QF because of an easy pool. When POC arrived back (it seems) he transformed Munster from a poor side to a good side. That good side made the SF and were narrowly beaten. The Munster we saw in the QF and SF last season was a totally different beast to the one we saw in the pool stages.

Fireball07 wrote: »

I wonder should someone like Castres be counted too. They might not perform that well in Europe, but they did win the Top 14, they are a quality side.

They have lost their highly regarded coaches to Racing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Next 4

How in gods name can you say Toulouse are ahead of Leinster? I mean what is it based on?

And that's without going near the other three teams, Racing in particular being an absolute unknown this season. Then you have Ulster ahead of Saracens? What's that based on?

That's it. Take one game in isolation and ignore the rest of the season. That'll paint an accurate picture.

My point was a poor Munster side did not make the SF. A poor Munster side made a QF because of an easy pool. When POC arrived back (it seems) he transformed Munster from a poor side to a good side. That good side made the SF and were narrowly beaten. The Munster we saw in the QF and SF last season was a totally different beast to the one we saw in the pool stages.

Well, hopefully POC will remain fit and thats the team we will see next season. And how confident will all those young players be after making a semi last season. Look how much Kilcoyne, Zebo, POC & Murray will have gained over the last while - I don't expect Murray to have the kind of brain fart he had against Racing last season that lost Munster the away game. Squeezing out of that pool as Munster did will be great experience for those young players.

The Leinster that finished last season would have beaten any side in Europe. Now with Schmidt gone and a few players in transition/gone that may not be true anymore but they're certainly still among the tip two or three sides in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

it is a very "up in the air season" as Buer said. Lots of teams adding new players and losing players. Racing Metro especially will have almost a new team, but like Toulon a few years ago who went down the Galactico route..... who knows what will happen (Toulon HC Champs)

I would deffo put Leinster in the top 4 in Europe, I do not think that Sexton will be that big a loss and expect Gopperth and Madigan to fill the role. Not sure that Munster can replace ROG that easily. Howlett, class act that he was will not be missed as much mostly due to the position that he played. I see other teams bringing in good players, Northampton for example got to Premiership final last year and have added Corbiseiro and George North, two stand out Lions to their squad. Munster had a great run as always in the Heino last year and the win at Quins was the game of the season for me, good that the semi was as well, but they need the top players fit and to play beyond themselves in games like that. You do not have the capacity to do that every week in the Rabo, you have to be able to play at cruise control and pick the big games to peak for. I just do not see improvement in them this year squad wise. Munster will always be a feared team and if they got to semi finals again this year it would be a great achievement, another great achievement. Hope they do, but can't see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

O'Gara's retirement will be the making of Ian Keatley. He's always looked decent with a run of games under his belt so I'd be expecting him to do well this year.

Next 4

What happened to Munster being better 'virtually everywhere' than Toulouse?

What happened to Munster being better 'virtually everywhere' than Toulouse?

haha, forgot about that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

It's kind of bizarre that you highlight how weak Munster's pool was, neglect to mention Saracens were in the same pool, and use that as proof that Saracens are ahead of Munster?

who_me wrote: »
    It's kind of bizarre that you highlight how weak Munster's pool was, neglect to mention Saracens were in the same pool, and use that as proof that Saracens are ahead of Munster?

Saracens did top the pool in fairness. Although I don't think there is much between the sides

i don't intend to be getting involved in little petty sniping.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.

What sniping ?

Well you said a matter of weeks ago that Munster were better than Toulouse in "every department", and now you're saying Toulouse are one of the top4 sides in Europe, while Munster are not in the top 4

What has changed so drastically in those few weeks to alter your opinion ?

Hope this helps.

It's a question? Your tone is a tad unnecessary.

I received a 2 week ban for that and won't be getting discussing it again.

I said that Munster were better than Toulouse in relation to a 1 off knockout game V Clermont. And as results showed, I was proven entirely correct.

• Advertisement

I received a 2 week ban for that and won't be getting discussing it again.

I said that Munster were better than Toulouse in relation to a 1 off knockout game V Clermont. And as results showed, I was proven entirely correct.

What exactly does that mean? Munster are only better than Toulouse some of the time?!:confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement