Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S3 Problems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Anyone ever hear of the network always dropping out as soon as you answer a call?

I sold my S3 on and the bloke is having this problem. I confirmed it myself too when I tested it, everything is fine until it rings then no network, no signal no calls nothing till a moment later when everything is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

Erper wrote: »
    mine start doing same thing today...
    after opening mail or viber i get problems with overheating or restarting the device...
    and this is my second galaxy in a year...
    first one had a problem with headphones...

i wonder would reset fix it or....

having the same problem now too
    leaving data connection turned off (either wifi or network) seems to help the problem, but then what's the point of having the phone?
    it doesn't always lock up when the data connection is on, but posting large amounts of data (e.g. upload photo) will almost cause the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Erper

having the same problem now too
    leaving data connection turned off (either wifi or network) seems to help the problem, but then what's the point of having the phone?
    it doesn't always lock up when the data connection is on, but posting large amounts of data (e.g. upload photo) will almost cause the problem

i did factory reset, deleting chase and data of the phone...

its been 2 days an no restarts so far... but did notice bit warm area around home button

what's chase and data?
    tried a factory reset, when it restarted, entered my google information, then connected to my router and then it crashed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Mine keeps going in to safe mode which I normally end up taking out the battery for a few mins then put it back in which normally works to get rid of safe mode,But today the fooking thing is stuck in safe mode due an up grade next month so might wait till then before sending it off for repair.

• Advertisement

what's chase and data?
    tried a factory reset, when it restarted, entered my google information, then connected to my router and then it crashed

when you turn on the phone, and when you get samsung logo press up key home button and off key same time...

Mine keeps going in to safe mode which I normally end up taking out the battery for a few mins then put it back in which normally works to get rid of safe mode,But today the fooking thing is stuck in safe mode due an up grade next month so might wait till then before sending it off for repair.

samsung have 2 years of warranty on sgs3 so you can go and try if they can repair it now...

should have mentioned I have cyanogenmod 10.1 running on my phone
    there's a fairly extensive thread on xda-developers about this issue, and the last page has a link to a leaked firmware update from Samsung that seems to have resolved the issue for most users. I'm going to try that.

<EDIT>

update applied about an hour ago, backup restored, and all seems well so far.
    Lost a few photos when the new firmware was applied, but they're all backed up online so need to sync to get them back.
    So far no freezing, I'll update again in a few hours

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

My camera won't work. Keeps saying 'error: camera failed'. It won't work in other camera apps either. I turned off the location settings and it worked again - hurray. Then it stopped again! Grr. I've restarted the phone, cleared the camera cache, uninstalled camera apps and reinstalled them etc. No dice. Anyone have any ideas? Just past the 1 year warranty with 3. Really don't want to have to resort to a factory reset.

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    My camera won't work. Keeps saying 'error: camera failed'. It won't work in other camera apps either. I turned off the location settings and it worked again - hurray. Then it stopped again! Grr. I've restarted the phone, cleared the camera cache, uninstalled camera apps and reinstalled them etc. No dice. Anyone have any ideas? Just past the 1 year warranty with 3. Really don't want to have to resort to a factory reset.

well, even in repair shops they will tell you that first step is factory reset....

did you get that message suddenly or it was before...
    as it could mean that camera is failing...
    or ..
    check settings for storage

• Advertisement

should have mentioned I have cyanogenmod 10.1 running on my phone
    there's a fairly extensive thread on xda-developers about this issue, and the last page has a link to a leaked firmware update from Samsung that seems to have resolved the issue for most users. I'm going to try that.

<EDIT>

update applied about an hour ago, backup restored, and all seems well so far.
    Lost a few photos when the new firmware was applied, but they're all backed up online so need to sync to get them back.
    So far no freezing, I'll update again in a few hours
    coming up on 24 hours with the leaked ROM installed, and there's no freezing to report, so I guess this is the solution

I'm on three, so I got on to them when the next official release will be from them, and all they can say is that Android 4.2.2 is coming "soon" but they've no specific date yet

One other thing about this ROM is that it restores the sync with Picasa Web Albums, that was missing from the last release from CyanogenMod and I wanted it back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Myself and about 20 colleagues have this phone. It is without doubt THE worst phone I have ever had. It is a great gadget, But as a PHONE?? Cr@p!! We use it 90 per cent of the time in the car via bluetooth so thats part of the problem. I am going back to Nokia!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Kalyke wrote: »
    Myself and about 20 colleagues have this phone. It is without doubt THE worst phone I have ever had. It is a great gadget, But as a PHONE?? Cr@p!! We use it 90 per cent of the time in the car via bluetooth so thats part of the problem. I am going back to Nokia!

What's the problem with it?

75 per cent dropped calls... Seriously! Independent of bluetooth type. ie Parrot. Nokia etc. Very, very bad... but lovely smartphone:D

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

well, even in repair shops they will tell you that first step is factory reset....

did you get that message suddenly or it was before...
    as it could mean that camera is failing...
    or ..
    check settings for storage

What do you mean by suddenly? Like the camera was working and then it stopped. But it was working again after I changed location settings and then it stopped again. How do I check settings for storage?

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    What do you mean by suddenly? Like the camera was working and then it stopped. But it was working again after I changed location settings and then it stopped again. How do I check settings for storage?

if you can open camera than you have settings there...
    but i would try factory reset

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭donkey balls

coming up on 24 hours with the leaked ROM installed, and there's no freezing to report, so I guess this is the solution

I'm on three, so I got on to them when the next official release will be from them, and all they can say is that Android 4.2.2 is coming "soon" but they've no specific date yet

One other thing about this ROM is that it restores the sync with Picasa Web Albums, that was missing from the last release from CyanogenMod and I wanted it back

Could you keep us up dated on the new firmware and how the phone operates i.e freezing etc, I was thinking about leaving the phone in for repair but if this fixes the constant freezing I might hold out for the update from Three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

guys, anybody have issues with the sd card suddenly becoming un-mounted and now unreadable even in a pc?

it was a new 32gb sdhc mirco sc card, in the phone not even 2 weeks.

no way of testing a different m-sd card atm.

****ing phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Does anyone else have this issue. I am on the 3 network on stock ROM.

During calls, the UP and DOWN arrows (for the data signal vanish) and usually when it moves from 3G to H and if this happens during a call, I can't hear anything at the other end and they can't hear me, it may come back during the call or I have to hang up and try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

kaimera wrote: »
    guys, anybody have issues with the sd card suddenly becoming un-mounted and now unreadable even in a pc?

****ing phone.

This actually happened my card last weekend and from looking online it seems it is a very common problem and just with S3 phones.

I managed to find a programme that was able to recover all my files and photos on the card and I reformatted the card last night on my PC and left it running overnight as it was taking an age. This morning I was able to open the SD card again and started copying all my files back to the card.

I'll be home later this evening and I'll let you know the name of the programme that worked for me. I did need a card reader to connect the SD card to the computer. Thought I read somewhere it doesn't work aswell if you just use your phone.

• Advertisement

****ing phone.

its software related issue....

which card are you using, sandisk??

its software related issue....

which card are you using, sandisk??
    this one not sure if they are rebranded sandisk.

phone software issue? As in I can send it back for repair again?

this one not sure if they are rebranded sandisk.

phone software issue? As in I can send it back for repair again?

well i dont know should you send it for repairs but you can check with them what is actual story with it...

i have same issue but i dont pay attention to it as its only showing error now and than...

ive read few months back on cnet i think that it was issue between JB and sandisk... something.. forgot what was it...

well i dont know should you send it for repairs but you can check with them what is actual story with it...

i have same issue but i dont pay attention to it as its only showing error now and than...

ive read few months back on cnet i think that it was issue between JB and sandisk... something.. forgot what was it...
    I've tried the card in the pc and nothing.

So atm it's not in the phone but I have tried it a few times and it just doesn't mount so I can't run any fix-it apps cos it's not showing up in the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

I've tried the card in the pc and nothing.

So atm it's not in the phone but I have tried it a few times and it just doesn't mount so I can't run any fix-it apps cos it's not showing up in the phone.

This is the programme I downloaded to recover the files ZAR

Before I ran it the computer wouldn't recognise my card either but this programme did the trick. You can only recover one folder at a time on your SD card and I think I remember seeing something saying you can only recover 4 folders before you have the pay for the licence. I only needed 2 folders so this worked a treat.

s_carnage wrote: »
    This is the programme I downloaded to recover the files ZAR

Before I ran it the computer wouldn't recognise my card either but this programme did the trick. You can only recover one folder at a time on your SD card and I think I remember seeing something saying you can only recover 4 folders before you have the pay for the licence. I only needed 2 folders so this worked a treat.
    I'll give it a whirl later, only have a few pics on it but might rma it to memoryc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

My S3 has suddenly developed charging problems. It's just 6 months old. It's taking about 16 hours to fully charge. It's never had great battery life but it's no worse now.

I tried a replacement cable but hasn't helped. I bought a new battery but that also hasn't helped.

So it's either the actual charger or the phone.

Where could I pick up a replacement charger in Dublin to check this out before trying to get a repair?

Also, would I be better off going through my mobile provider (under contract and phone is included in monthly payments) or with Samsing themselves? The phone, but not the battery, are still under warranty I think?

I just want it sorted asap. I need the phone for work.

Thanks

My S3 has suddenly developed charging problems. It's just 6 months old. It's taking about 16 hours to fully charge. It's never had great battery life but it's no worse now.

I tried a replacement cable but hasn't helped. I bought a new battery but that also hasn't helped.

So it's either the actual charger or the phone.

Where could I pick up a replacement charger in Dublin to check this out before trying to get a repair?

Also, would I be better off going through my mobile provider (under contract and phone is included in monthly payments) or with Samsing themselves? The phone, but not the battery, are still under warranty I think?

I just want it sorted asap. I need the phone for work.

Thanks

try connection the cable to the computer/laptop and see how its charging...
    if that seem fine that you problem is in the plug..
    if not...
    go through fonemenders, they are official for all mobile shops in ireland

My S3 has just updated to build number 19300XXEMF1. Anyone know where to get the release notes for this update?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

try connection the cable to the computer/laptop and see how its charging...
    if that seem fine that you problem is in the plug..
    if not...
    go through fonemenders, they are official for all mobile shops in ireland

Thanks for your reply.

How long should it take to charge through laptop? I've never done that so I've nothing to compare it to and think I read that it charges more slowly that way anyway.

Will fonemenders be able to do a repair under the warranty if I go to them directly or will it cost?

Advertisement