Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S3 Problems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Erper

Thanks for your reply.

How long should it take to charge through laptop? I've never done that so I've nothing to compare it to and think I read that it charges more slowly that way anyway.

Will fonemenders be able to do a repair under the warranty if I go to them directly or will it cost?

charging through laptop or computer is bit diifferent... it all depends.. i had mine charged sometimes quicker, sometimes slower

as for repair center, if its under warranty, and it is since samsung gave 2 years on their phones, you are good to go, without paying any extra charges for it...

Kalyke wrote: »
    My S3 has just updated to build number 19300XXEMF1. Anyone know where to get the release notes for this update?

what network...
    was it stock rom??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Ok. Things are looking up since I last posted!

A friend brought over a Galaxy Y charger and it has increased by 15% in 20 minutes! So looks like it might be the charger.

Would I be entitled to a replacement charger?

Also, it's a much better charger - a proper plug and decent length cable rather than the foldable piece of crap that came with the S3. Where could I buy one of these? Any websites selling a good range of samsung products? Seems to be only cheapo rubbish and not samsung on mobilefun and amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,864 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Ok. Things are looking up since I last posted!

A friend brought over a Galaxy Y charger and it has increased by 15% in 20 minutes! So looks like it might be the charger.

Would I be entitled to a replacement charger?

Also, it's a much better charger - a proper plug and decent length cable rather than the foldable piece of crap that came with the S3. Where could I buy one of these? Any websites selling a good range of samsung products? Seems to be only cheapo rubbish and not samsung on mobilefun and amazon.

The S3 has a mini-USB port, so you should be able to get a charger in any electrical/phone shop, it needn't be necessarily a Samsung brand.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    The S3 has a mini-USB port, so you should be able to get a charger in any electrical/phone shop, it needn't be necessarily a Samsung brand.

Yeah. I've had bad experiences with unofficial chargers in the past though.

Most seem to have output either too high or too low and I've had two blow a fuse.

Why is it so hard to buy genuine Samsung? !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Erper wrote: »
    what network...
    was it stock rom??
    Stock yes and Vodafone.

by

http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/2/

it seems they are giving that update on vodafone..

cant see it for three yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭TMC99

Kalyke wrote: »
    My S3 has just updated to build number 19300XXEMF1. Anyone know where to get the release notes for this update?
    I also got it last night but cannot see any release notes anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Yeah. I've had bad experiences with unofficial chargers in the past though.

Most seem to have output either too high or too low and I've had two blow a fuse.

Why is it so hard to buy genuine Samsung? !
    Make sure the milliamp output of the charger is around 800, anything less and you'll be there all day

duploelabs wrote: »
    Make sure the milliamp output of the charger is around 800, anything less and you'll be there all day

Ok. Until I get a chance to get a proper replacement sorted I have access to 3 genuine Samsung chargers, but I don't know if any are suitable. I have:

Galaxy Y charger which has an attached cable - 0.7A
    Galaxy Note 10.1 USB charger - 2A
    Samsung camera USB charger - 0.5A

It's actually very hard to source a 1A charger - even from other brands!

I assume the lower output will be safe but slow. Would the 2A charger fry the battery? Which should I go for?

There seems to be consensus online that the stock charger is a problem so I'd love to find an alternative altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ok. Until I get a chance to get a proper replacement sorted I have access to 3 genuine Samsung chargers, but I don't know if any are suitable. I have:

Galaxy Y charger which has an attached cable - 0.7A
    Galaxy Note 10.1 USB charger - 2A
    Samsung camera USB charger - 0.5A

It's actually very hard to source a 1A charger - even from other brands!

I assume the lower output will be safe but slow. Would the 2A charger fry the battery? Which should I go for?

There seems to be consensus online that the stock charger is a problem so I'd love to find an alternative altogether.

The 2A won't fry it. It will charge it quicker but may hurt the longevity of the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

all this talk of chargers ...

i really must check what the ones i have at home are!

I just downloaded an app recommended on XDA to measure the current actually being drawn by the battery.

S3 stock 1A charger - 200mA (so it definitely seems to be faulty)
    Galaxy Y 0.7A charger - 700mA
    Galaxy Note 10.1 2A charger - 700mA
    iLuv 1A charger - 1000mA

I think I'll stick with the iLuv as it's properly rated for the phone.

The low value for the 2A Note charger worries me though - its brand new.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭G1032

I just downloaded an app recommended on XDA to measure the current actually being drawn by the battery.

S3 stock 1A charger - 200mA (so it definitely seems to be faulty)
    Galaxy Y 0.7A charger - 700mA
    Galaxy Note 10.1 2A charger - 700mA
    iLuv 1A charger - 1000mA

I think I'll stick with the iLuv as it's properly rated for the phone.

The low value for the 2A Note charger worries me though - its brand new.

Whats the app?

G1032 wrote: »
    Whats the app?

It's called Galaxy Charging Current Lite.

I think the paid app drops the "Lite" from the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,212 ✭✭✭emo72

just got my s3 back from fonefix after the motherboard died. im now running vodafone bloatware. can anyone recommend a nice rom to replace it with? was looking at xda but the choice is bewildering. i usually pick the rom with the biggest thread. scientific or what:D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

emo72 wrote: »
    just got my s3 back from fonefix after the motherboard died. im now running vodafone bloatware. can anyone recommend a nice rom to replace it with? was looking at xda but the choice is bewildering. i usually pick the rom with the biggest thread. scientific or what:D

Get the UK generic to start anyways while youre deciding.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,212 ✭✭✭emo72

ED E wrote: »
    Get the UK generic to start anyways while youre deciding.

thats what i had previously before it died. my son also put nova launcher on it. that seemed to make it much faster.

my missus is running stock with a nexus 4. seems the way to go. does the s3 have a nice vanilla android?
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You want an AOSP rom like this http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1817345

NB: There are probably much more modern ones out, have a search on XDA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

emo72 wrote: »

The choice is bewildering alright. I tried lots of roms, with the main criteria for me being that they had to be easy on battery, free from bloat, and easy on ram. CyanogenMod is a good starter rom, although I'd recommend Slimbean too. Try them and see what you think.

For what it's worth, after about 6 weeks of looking for the perfect rom, I went back to a leaked version of stock firmware, 4.2.2 from the Middle East. I rooted the phone, so I could turn off the bloat. Then I looked around for a nice launcher, and I've been using Atom for a couple of months now. The phone has never seemed faster, and the battery life is better than on any of the custom roms I tried, and better than purely on stock touch wiz.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

help!

mine has gone SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW ......real slow......

can anyone give me a quick guide in what to do (check what/how) and how to free it up to go decently fast again?

please?

thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

MidlandsM wrote: »
    help!

mine has gone SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW ......real slow......

can anyone give me a quick guide in what to do (check what/how) and how to free it up to go decently fast again?

please?

thanks

ok, update, my phone was drivin' me bonkers today, slowwww, and dimwitted.......so I googled and googled as this message kept coming up -
    com.google.process.gapps has stopped......i found a fix on google, to remove google play store, so I removed that app, and it seems to have fixed the issue.

now, I'd like google play store back on my phone, to download apps etc......but how do I do that?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

MidlandsM wrote: »
    ok, update, my phone was drivin' me bonkers today, slowwww, and dimwitted.......so I googled and googled as this message kept coming up -
    com.google.process.gapps has stopped......i found a fix on google, to remove google play store, so I removed that app, and it seems to have fixed the issue.

now, I'd like google play store back on my phone, to download apps etc......but how do I do that?

Thanks
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/07/18/download-latest-google-play-store-4-2-3/ ?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭DaNiEl1994

can any one help me urgently please my phone is saying no service available selected network [48] unavailable and when i go to select 48 as my network it says unable to connect try later, any ideas lads?

i tryed it on an iphone and it works but i cant use that phone as its not mine

DaNiEl1994 wrote: »
    can any one help me urgently please my phone is saying no service available selected network [48] unavailable and when i go to select 48 as my network it says unable to connect try later, any ideas lads?

i tryed it on an iphone and it works but i cant use that phone as its not mine
    here is what is showing

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

here is what is showing

Have you roaming disabled?

Have you roaming disabled?

yes have tryed while enabled and disabled

yes have tryed while enabled and disabled

I'd leave it enabled. 48 roam on the O2 network so disabling it could cause issues.

I'd leave it enabled. 48 roam on the O2 network so disabling it could cause issues.

dunno what to do bought it 2 months ago working great and now it wont recognise service or coverage money down the drain and i dont think i have warranty as it was bought at an independant store in ennis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

aarrrggghh left my S3 in for repair, looks like sudden death :(

even worse I am using an iPhone 4 until its back.

Good God the OS is horrible

Advertisement