Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Watched Enemy of the State on TV only last week and the Turbo Express inexplicably has a starring role... odd as the film came out 8 years after the console had flopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

YEAH!

I knew I recognised the console thing in Enemy Of the State. Oh DinoRex thank you, I can die a happy man now!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Anyone remember the kid playing a Game Gear in Rumble in the Bronx?
    Sadly the child was suffering a physical disability and was confined to a wheel chair,
    He seemed to make up for this affliction with incredible powers of make believe, which apparently included playing a Game Gear with no game in it.... twat!
    Screen-shot-2011-02-16-at-1.29.28-PM-600x333.png
    http://segabits.com/blog/2011/02/16/sega-in-the-media-game-gear-in-the-bronx/?replytocom=4383

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hey, I wonder how Atavans holiday is going, haven't heard from him here and checked the hospitals for a man in his 20's with the liver of an 80 year old methylated spirits drinker, but to no avail.....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I actually like the MK series , possibly as they're so tounge in cheek.
    if this is the I'm super serious SNK fighters
    serious_cat_is_serious.jpg
    ..then this is the TOASTY, MK range
    cat-with-gun.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'm a MK fan too, started off with the original on the Game Gear! They've always just been a bit of fun and Scorpion has been my favourite fighter since I first saw him pull his mask off and flambé his opponent!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,829 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My main problem with MK is how limited and unrewarding they are. You could keep playing Street Fighter or SNK games and keep learning something new. With MK there's so little depth you'll have it figured out in no time then it gets boring. I suppose this can suit some peopl that don't want to invest in a fighting game but even still it's not like SF and SNK fighters are hard to learn either but will constantly reward you when you figure start unlocking the systems intricacies.

Well, one can always be comforted that, when you're playing a Mortal Kombat game "At least I'm not playing Rise of the Robots".
    I find that the phrase is helpful in all sorts of situations

Getting leg sawn off, "At least I'm not playing Rise of the Robots".

Having eye poked out by ninja, "At least I'm not playing Rise of the Robots".

Waiting for dentist to finish pulling out wisdom tooth with a vicegrips, "At least I'm not playing Rise of the Robots".

Owning a CDi and playing Zelda on it, "At least I'm not playing Rise of the Robots"..... actually hold on, Rise of the Robots would be better ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Anyone remember the kid playing a Game Gear in Rumble in the Bronx?
    Sadly the child was suffering a physical disability and was confined to a wheel chair,
    He seemed to make up for this affliction with incredible powers of make believe, which apparently included playinIg a Game Gear with no game in it.... twat!
    Screen-shot-2011-02-16-at-1.29.28-PM-600x333.png
    http://segabits.com/blog/2011/02/16/sega-in-the-media-game-gear-in-the-bronx/?replytocom=4383

I believe the wee kid in Child's Play 3 did the same thing during the barber scene. Playing the Game Gear with no cart.

• Advertisement

Maybe, just maybe, the idea of playing a Gamegear game was better than actually playing a Gamegear game.
    That way, you could never be disappointed with playing a Master System game on the go, while your mates were all playing Super Mario Land 2 and Tetris.

Of course, everyone could pity the Supervision owners, who could themselves only imagine the bliss of owning a Supervision without any games, thereby being spared the misery.... what is seen cannot be unseen..... like the animation in CDi Zelda.... or Superman 64

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Adverts really is an odd selling spot. Threw the remaining nes games up, have one guy looking for two, total would be 7, he offers 4, now looking to see will i include postage for 7?!

Seriously? I should be charging for having to read and reply to stuff like this ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Los Lobos wrote: »
    Adverts really is an odd selling spot. Threw the remaining nes games up, have one guy looking for two, total would be 7, he offers 4, now looking to see will i include postage for 7?!

Seriously? I should be charging for having to read and reply to stuff like this ffs

I often wonder if the other categories on Adverts are as riddled with chancers as the Gaming ones are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

deathrider wrote: »
    I believe the wee kid in Child's Play 3 did the same thing during the barber scene. Playing the Game Gear with no cart.

And all these scenes of kids playing the console of the time were accompanied with sound effects from pacman/asteroids/missile command.

And all these scenes of kids playing the console of the time were accompanied with sound effects from pacman/asteroids/missile command.

While we're on the subject, there's a scene in Charlie's Angels where two kids are playing the Playstation. The odd thing is that they're playing 2player on Final Fantasy VIII...

Surely the suspension of disbelief locomotive had left the station a lot earlier, given it was a film about a reanimated, demonic doll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

So has anyone picked up an Ouya yet ?

So has anyone picked up an Ouya yet ?

Ouya?

Is that one of these?
    ouya_0.jpg

Sounds like it could be one of these!
    final-book-cover.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,829 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm pretty sure there's a group of stock sound effects that hollywood has been using for years with the Pac Man sounds filed under videogames because nearly everything uses those sounds for any videogame.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Well, one can always be comforted that, when you're playing a Mortal Kombat game "At least I'm not playing Rise of the Robots".
    I find that the phrase is helpful in all sorts of situations

Getting leg sawn off, "At least I'm not playing Rise of the Robots".

Having eye poked out by ninja, "At least I'm not playing Rise of the Robots".

Waiting for dentist to finish pulling out wisdom tooth with a vicegrips, "At least I'm not playing Rise of the Robots".

Owning a CDi and playing Zelda on it, "At least I'm not playing Rise of the Robots"..... actually hold on, Rise of the Robots would be better ;)
    I'm doing an 'bad-beat-em-ups:arcade edition' thingy for the youtube channel soon. stuff like bloodstorm, time killers, blood warrior and the like.
    AS part of it I ended up playing Tattoo Assassins and ..well..even though its bad , I mean REALLY bad , and I ,made it most of the way through the game by jumping and kicking.
    If you've ever seen the film 'Be Kind Rewind' I started thinking of it as a 'sweded' version of Mortal Kombat.
    l I >almost< started to like it....almost.At the very least I started feeling sorry for everyone involved.
    Folks ..this may possibly be first ever case of gaming stockholm syndrome ...

While we're on the subject, there's a scene in Charlie's Angels where two kids are playing the Playstation. The odd thing is that they're playing 2player on Final Fantasy VIII...

40 year old virgin, they're playing what looks like Mortal Kombat, Deadly Alliance or Deception or Armageddon. Those came out on the GameCube / PS2 / Xbox...

... Seth Rogen is using an N64 controller. Paul Rudd is using some wireless controller.

• Advertisement

The day that is in it has reminded me of this old game I had on the C64... it was pretty terrible:

83404.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Blazing Saddles is on RTE One, right now.

Blazing Saddles is on RTE One, right now.

Candygram for Mongo, Candygram for Mongo!

Where the white women at ?

Love love the late, great Madeline Khan in that, fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Cool tshirt over on qwertee today. Console wars. www.qwertee.com

Candygram for Mongo, Candygram for Mongo!

Where the white women at ?

Love love the late, great Madeline Khan in that, fantastic.

Mongo like candy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

He said the sheriffs near!

He said the sheriffs near!
    "NO, CONFLABI-*continued authentic frontier gibberish*, THE SHERIFF IS A NI-*RING*!"

40 year old virgin, they're playing what looks like Mortal Kombat, Deadly Alliance or Deception or Armageddon. Those came out on the GameCube / PS2 / Xbox..
    I

... Seth Rogen is using an N64 controller. Paul Rudd is using some wireless controller.

How does nobody on the set notice these things? Also, I believe that's Deception.

Some spectacular video gaming moments on bad US TV here:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

How does nobody on the set notice these things? Also, I believe that's Deception.

With the millions spent on movies now this stuff is beyond me why they can't get it right

Same with cars and bikes in most films. A lot of films will use the same stock sounds regardless of what it is....and they always sound like a hairdryer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Not to mention in car chases, manual gearboxes seem to have an infinite about of gears available..

Sea captains can't perform wedding ceremonies!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,717 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Still cringe at the thought of Jessie playing RAGE in Breaking Bad - particularly noteworthy because the rest of the show is so note-perfect.

Still cringe at the thought of Jessie playing RAGE in Breaking Bad - particularly noteworthy because the rest of the show is so note-perfect.

Actually just started a rewatch of that, to freshen it up for the conclusion later in the year. Such an awesome show

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

EnterNow wrote: »
    Actually just started a rewatch of that, to freshen it up for the conclusion later in the year. Such an awesome show

Patiently waiting for that to appear on Netflix sometime. Only so many times I can watch Snatch on it. "Do you like dags?", "Dags?", "ye dags", "oh you mean DOGS, yeah, I like dags..."

Actually speaking of Snatch, RIP Dennis Farina aka Jimmy Serrano. :(

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Patiently waiting for that to appear on Netflix sometime. Only so many times I can watch Snatch on it. "Do you like dags?", "Dags?", "ye dags", "oh you mean DOGS, yeah, I like dags..."

Breaking Bad? All 5 seasons are on the Irish one. Or do you mean the season 5 conclusion?

Breaking Bad? All 5 seasons are on the Irish one. Or do you mean the season 5 conclusion?

Yeah the final 8 episodes.

Yeah the final 8 episodes.

I wonder how long till they appear...

I wonder how long till they appear...

Donkies probably. Will have to re-watch the first 8 from Season 5 again at some stage to refresh the memory. Very tempted to go back to Season 4 too, wasn't that the one with
    the two assassin dudes from Mexico or wherever? And the back story to Gus is expanded upon I think.

• Advertisement

Not to mention in car chases, manual gearboxes seem to have an infinite about of gears available..

Burn Notice is a serial offender.
    The car chases are invariably at what looks like about 30mph, but with editing and sound effects to make it look faster.
    Fiona and her car are literally a rolling advert for Hyundai Coupes.
    And let's not speak of the accents in the show.
    Ah feck it, let's...
    Fiona would have the worst Irish accent ever heard, until you hear Michael s.
    Despite the heroes family all being from Miami they all have different accents, the hero has a Boston accent, the mam has a New York one and so on.

Burn Notice is a serial offender.
    The car chases are invariably at what looks like about 30mph, but with editing and sound effects to make it look faster.
    Fiona and her car are literally a rolling advert for Hyundai Coupes.
    And let's not speak of the accents in the show.
    Ah feck it, let's...
    Fiona would have the worst Irish accent ever heard, until you hear Michael s.
    Despite the heroes family all being from Miami they all have different accents, the hero has a Boston accent, the mam has a New York one and so on.

Donkies probably. Will have to re-watch the first 8 from Season 5 again at some stage to refresh the memory. Very tempted to go back to Season 4 too, wasn't that the one with
    the two assassin dudes from Mexico or wherever? And the back story to Gus is expanded upon I think.

Yep that's the one. I said feck it I'll go back to the start & rewatch it. I'm about half way through Season 1 at the mo & thoroughly enjoying it

Breaking Bad really only found it's audience thanks to Netflix, so it's one show that appears pretty quickly. They got the first half of season 5 pretty quick. The show finishes at the end of September so I'd say you could still be looking at early 2014 for it to turn up.

DinoRex wrote: »
    Breaking Bad really only found it's audience thanks to Netflix, so it's one show that appears pretty quickly. They got the first half of season 5 pretty quick. The show finishes at the end of September so I'd say you could still be looking at early 2014 for it to turn up.

Damn, I thought they had finished filming it already? Or do you mean the last airing over in the US is in Sept? 2014 isn't so bad I guess, time flying by these days.

No doubt it'll be available in the usual places an hour or two after the US get their screening of it. Waiting until 2014 will be a fighting losing battle against spoilers

• Advertisement

Damn, I thought they had finished filming it already? Or do you mean the last airing over in the US is in Sept? 2014 isn't so bad I guess, time flying by these days.

It's starts airing in the US next month and the series finale is at the end of September.

Did you see what Bryan Cranston did at Comic-con?

http://gawker.com/bryan-cranston-secretly-cosplayed-as-walter-white-at-co-868979363

Wow, the quality of summer holiday movies seems to be improving since I were a lad, and no I'm not referring to the introduction of colour, they were just showing Silent Running on Film 4, love that film, a tad bleak though.

Wow, the quality of summer holiday movies seems to be improving since I were a lad, and no I'm not referring to the introduction of colour

Well I was gonna say sound but...

DinoRex wrote: »
    It's starts airing in the US next month and the series finale is at the end of September.

Did you see what Bryan Cranston did at Comic-con?

http://gawker.com/bryan-cranston-secretly-cosplayed-as-walter-white-at-co-868979363

That is awesome! :D What a legend! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Stupid bloody gamestop

preordered Pikmin 3 in store and was told it would cost €60
    Just checked online and the same company have it online for €39.97

Going up spoiling for a rumble now.

They either give it to me for 40 in store or give me my money back.

Gits

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement