Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Just FYI, Gamestop shops and Gamestop.ie are run as separate entities, and often have different pricing. That's still a hell of a difference though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just FYI, Gamestop shops and Gamestop.ie are run as separate entities, and often have different pricing. That's still a hell of a difference though!

Well, they are run out of the same offices in Swords.
    Been in there, back in the good old days!

But it is a mantra they repeat ad nauseum, that the pricing is entirely different and if you buy/preorder instore it bears no relation to the other.

That's quite a price difference though, even including postage.

Sure be pleasant and try to appeal to their better nature.... Good luck with that!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Well, they are run out of the same offices in Swords.
    Been in there, back in the good old days!

But it is a mantra they repeat ad nauseum, that the pricing is entirely different and if you buy/preorder instore it bears no relation to the other.

Yeah, same office, same supply base, think they may operate off different warehouses, or they want us to think that at least. As you said though, they do tend to stick to the pricing differences, and take great pains to maintain that illusion of separation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Good news everybody

Indeed online is cheaper then instore

By 2 cents :D

€39.99 is the price and the price i was quoted a few months ago was a placeholder price.

Happy bloody days me love gamestop long time:D

There is another 2 bits of good news but i think its better that i wait till friday to let you all know

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Good news everybody
    2009-02-27-professor_farnsworth.jpg
    Sparks43 wrote: »
    There is another 2 bits of good news but i think its better that i wait till friday to let you all know
    Tease!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Tease!!!

It's likely something either Bolderdash or fishing related, I wouldn't get your hopes up :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah, same office, same supply base, think they may operate off different warehouses, or they want us to think that at least. As you said though, they do tend to stick to the pricing differences, and take great pains to maintain that illusion of separation.

Nope, same warehouse, I was in it lots of times, it supplies the whole shebang.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

EnterNow wrote: »
    It's likely something either Bolderdash or fishing related, I wouldn't get your hopes up :D

Either that or he's so excited about the F1 back this wkend. :cool: Hungaroring though, sigh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,827 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Retr0gamer wrote: »

haha I would really love to go to one of those things and just go bananas or start saying I was possessed and see what happens

Reminds me of that video, I cant find it online, but there was people who would drop people who were running at them to the ground by shouting at them. Its annoying me i cant find it....its hilarious, anyone know what im on about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

You know what I hate? When a TV channel airs only the first part of a programme in a two part story and not even bothering to show the second. I mean, why even bother in the first place?

You know what I hate? When a TV channel airs only the first part of a programme in a two part story and not even bothering to show the second. I mean, why even bother in the first place?

Nuts.
    Looks like my bag, the one I bring to work, has gone missing from my car.
    Can't find it anywhere.
    It contains my PSVita and games.
    It has my DS and 3DS game collections in a bag.
    It has my Famicom GB Micro as well.
    My DSi is in there too.
    My Kindle is in there.
    and....

My copy of Pink Bullets!

As you can imagine I am pretty pissed off right now.

The DS/3DS stuff most of all, there was around €700 worth of games in that bag alone.

Hopefully it's only misplaced....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Nuts.
    Looks like my bag, the one I bring to work, has gone missing from my car.
    Can't find it anywhere.
    It contains my PSVita and games.
    It has my DS and 3DS game collections in a bag.
    It has my Famicom GB Micro as well.
    My DSi is in there too.
    My Kindle is in there.
    and....

My copy of Pink Bullets!

As you can imagine I am pretty pissed off right now.

The DS/3DS stuff most of all, there was around €700 worth of games in that bag alone.

Hopefully it's only misplaced....

That sucks dude.
    If it makes you fell any better, I destroyed about 1500 Euro worth of tech last weekend in an accident :(
    At least there is still a chance you might find/get back your bag.

looks like its missing or stolen?
    go on steve,
    tell us

I'm trying not to think about it tbh, at least my son has the 3DS with him, only his new game though, Paper Mario Sticker Star.
    If it comes to it and it doesn't turn up I'll buy them again slowly but surely.
    Now that's fecking arseholery!

I'm trying not to think about it tbh, at least my son has the 3DS with him, only his new game though, Paper Mario Sticker Star.
    If it comes to it and it doesn't turn up I'll buy them again slowly but surely.
    Now that's fecking arseholery!

Disaster Prevented!

Wife had put it away "somewhere safe"

Fecking wives!!!

That's it.

No nookie for a month!!

That'll learn her!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Glad it worked out.

My girlfriends car was broken into recently, there was noting of value in there but they still took a broken 8 year old SatNav and a Dairy Milk.

Let's hope the broken Satnav led them to certain doom, like a recently decommissioned bridge over a lake of piranha or straight into the Blue Oyster Club instead of some other manly place

• Advertisement

No nookie for a month!!

That'll learn her!

Too much Animal Crossing. This was the first thing came into my head:

tumblr_m39q874IMy1qak8d8o1_500.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Disaster Prevented!Wife had put it away "somewhere safe"
    story of my life, not only do I do that myself but my Mam does too, sometimes to the same thing

Well, sweats are over, purchase of a job lot of DS/3DS games cancelled, didn't have to tell a distraught son that his beloved Kid Icarus is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,253 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Holy **** man, that would have been some loss! Delighted it worked out.

I guess we can all take a lesson from this, don't carry too many devices in one bag!!!

Yeah, I think I'm going to limit the loss potential.... going forward.....

Didn't mind the loss of the Vita too much, it was the DS/3DS games that was starting to freak me out quite a bit!

Master of the Universe

It's the fact that all the downloaded software is tied to the 3DS which makes it particularly troublesome to lose.

I was away on holidays last week and was really paranoid about leaving it behind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I didn't bring anything with me when on holidays. As much as I would have loved the street pass/animal crossing spot pass hits in the airport and abroad on my 3DS, I'd be terrified of losing it. I even bring an old phone when I go away just in case.

It's the only advantage of those dastardly flash cards, one of those plus a cheap DS lite and you're all set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Finished link to the past today and its quite a spectacular game and i can see why people put it as their favourite.

Now to wait for wind waker hd

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,827 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Big change in opinion after you actually played it :P

Big change in opinion after you actually played it :P

i dunno if i put it as my favourite , but its up their

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I've never actually finished a zelda game :o Any recommendations on one that's not too long to play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I've never actually finished a zelda game :o Any recommendations on one that's not too long to play?

Windwaker, if we're talking consoles. It got flack for being too short. It is brilliant, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Daith

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Windwaker, if we're talking consoles. It got flack for being too short. It is brilliant, though.

Ah I don't know. It's a beautiful game but the Triumph Forks hunt can stop anyone

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,716 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Really, with the main series you could start anywhere as pretty much every (non CDi) game has plenty to offer and bewitch. Link to the Past is probably the natural starting point as it fully realises the potential of the NES game (I've never actually played the much maligned Adventures of Link). All the GB and GBA titles are excellent, the DS ones only so-so but still hardly bad!

I find it hard to rank the 3D titles, they're all equally wonderful even with some of the slightly irritating quirks of Wind Waker and Skyward Sword (I'd still maintain the latter is a bit of a masterpiece). I would hold off on Majora's Mask until a few games in - think most people would appreciate the way it experiments with the formula when they're more intimately familiar with the typical structure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Pretty cool Contra proposal:

http://imgur.com/a/Dk5hL

Skyward Sword is a great game damaged by the needless application of motion controls.
    Where Metroid Prime and Pikmin were improved this Zelda title was hopelessly damaged and all it did was drive an audience away, me included.
    Although I have owned the game since it's launch I've been able to stick it out.

I'd feel the opposite way! That Skyward Sword was the game that finally got motion control right, with pretty accurate mapping of the movements to the sword!

DinoRex wrote: »
    Pretty cool Contra proposal:

http://imgur.com/a/Dk5hL

There was I thinking out was going to be some sort of corporate proposal for a new Contra game!

I'm guessing using a Probotector cart would have resulted in an instant refusal, and their translocation to Europe..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

http://imgur.com/a/TaHOW

Spotted this on reddit, I didnt realise a wii remote battery will fit into a gba.

Who bought that screen modded gba lately? It would be handy for that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Proco Jr. wrote: »
    http://imgur.com/a/TaHOW

Spotted this on reddit, I didnt realise a wii remote battery will fit into a gba.

Who bought that screen modded gba lately? It would be handy for that.

Hah excellent, although I'll need to get hold of a Wii rechargeable battery, think I always used standard rechargeable AA's.

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Hah excellent, although I'll need to get hold of a Wii rechargeable battery, think I always used standard rechargeable AA's.

Yeah, that'd work a dream on your new GBA, nifty!
    Those Wii batteries must be ten a penny online.
    Brilliant!

Andrew76 wrote: »

Would ya look at yer man, strutting around with mod stars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I'm the same, I did get really far in LttP and OoT, lost my save file and never got that far again. Gave up on Phantom and yet to play Minish or WW yet (looking forward to it)

Zelda TP and OoT3D both completed.
    I have LttP for the Snes so it's on my to do list.
    I don't think I'm smart enough to finish Majoras Mask though... thickyman should be my username really :(

I don't think I'm smart enough to finish Majoras Mask though... thickyman should be my username really :(

Majora's Mask is my absolute favourite Zelda game. Getting every mask so that you can get the Fierce Deity / Oni Link mask is fantastic, even though he makes the final boss a cakewalk.

Wasn't too hot on Skyward Sword. It mostly got motion control right but somethings it got horribly wrong. Flying the bird was god awful. Another thing that annoyed me was how linear the game was, well not really that but the lack of variety and exploration. There really was no overworld in the game and areas outside of the main dungeons were pretty much dungeons themselves. It grew tiring after a while because you didn't have the exploration and freedom between dungeons to break up the gameplay. Still a great game but unfortunately flawed.

Master of the Universe

Even if you're not into the Zelda series, everyone should play through ALTTP at least once. It's magical.

...There really was no overworld in the game and areas outside of the main dungeons were pretty much dungeons themselves...

That was what they were going for, but the lack of connection between the areas really did detract from it. While you had the freedom to explore the skies and the islands in the sky, there was nothing much to do up there.

It's the same problem that there was with Wind Waker.

If the different land areas in Skyward Sword were connected in some way, with interesting areas to explore and paths between them to find, it would have felt much more cohesive.

Skyward sword to me was not all that exciting , even if you removed the akward motion controls.

I thought the dungeon design for the most part was poorly designed and the boss battles were some of the most frustrating battles due to the motion not being accurate.

Rolling bomb was so painful to get right no matter how far i put the wii mote downwards link would just twitch all over the place.

Graphically the game looked gorgeous.

There was one boss though i found absolutely lazy in every single way and perhaps the worst boss i fought in the zelda games i have played
    The big black furry demon in the forest. You fight him about 5 times just attacking his toes and preventing him from going up the hill.

I dont regret owning or playing skyward sword but if motion controls is the future of the zelda series i never play a zelda game again. It was hinted before after ss release by the game director that future zelda series may have motion controls.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement