Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

tumblr_mnzvxicRz81ris3yko2_1280.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,794 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

DON'T YOU INSULT MY GAME PURCHASES!

Some people do get very touchy about their purchases, but I would direct their over-sensitive attention towards Retr0 from whom, once they stop crying, will appreciate this is the man who has suffered nothing but abuse over the purchase of a CDi and yet, against all odds, still keeps his head held high, still associates with other human beings and still maintains an account here.
    If he can do it over near constant abuse over the CDi (admittedly mostly from me), and Zelda in particular, you can suffer a little over buying Powerstone for the PSP..... you poor poor b@stard! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Some people do get very touchy about their purchases, but I would direct their over-sensitive attention towards Retr0 from whom, once they stop crying, will appreciate this is the man who has suffered nothing but abuse over the purchase of a CDi and yet, against all odds, still keeps his head held high, still associates with other human beings and still maintains an account here.
    If he can do it over near constant abuse over the CDi (admittedly mostly from me), and Zelda in particular, you can suffer a little over buying Powerstone for the PSP..... you poor poor b@stard! ;)
    Well, I just sure as hell hope we get to see a HD collection sometime down the line. I WANT MY ONLINE POWER STONE, GODDAMMIT!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Oh, I've never been terribly good at fighting games of any hue or, in the interests of accuracy, I've been pretty good at being terrible at fighting games.
    And I have always, always come a cropper at the hands of fast, random button pressers, particularly on the likes of Mortal Kombat and Tekken franchises, those games love random button mashers, there you are, trying to keep your distance, when suddenly you get your arms ripped off or barely get time to hit back when a bloke in a big cat mask kicks the snot out of you.
    Cheap feckers!

My favourite of the genre, Powerstone, not really, but kinda, ok mostly a fighting game and awesome.
    I used to be not bad but time has eroded my limited skills and, as anyone at O1s1ns Beers will attest, I now firmly suck at that game :(
    But that was the superb Powerstone, even if I'm not on form it's still a pleasure to play, unlike it's sequel.
    And avoid the PSP version, they fecked with the screen ratio, DC all the way baby!

Tekken loved a bit of good old fashioned button mashing. In fact, it almost seems like there were characters built for that very reason. Eddie Gordo in Tekken 3 is a fine example. Mash the kick buttons and secure the win while looking spectactular and not having a clue what you've done. Soul Calibur was even more so, in my oppinion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ah, Tekken 3, along with MGS one of the most pirated games back in the day, Sonys own damn fault for delaying the PAL releases.
    The jump from Tekken to Tekken 3 is remarkable though, nice cinemas too.
    The series lost some popularity on the PS2 it seems, the PS3 releases of the Tekken franchise similarly lost its "essential" label, too many alternatives perhaps?

Ah, Tekken 3, along with MGS one of the most pirated games back in the day, Sonys own damn fault for delaying the PAL releases.
    The jump from Tekken to Tekken 3 is remarkable though, nice cinemas too.
    The series lost some popularity on the PS2 it seems, the PS3 releases of the Tekken franchise similarly lost its "essential" label, too many alternatives perhaps?

I picked up the PS2 titles over the last year or so, and they're pretty solid. None of the newer characters really do it for me though. Tekken 5 is well worth picking up as it has arcade ports of the first 3 games on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Donatron

Eddie Gordo...*shudder*

Donatron wrote: »
    Eddie Gordo...*shudder*

While Street Fighter 2 and it's associated titles really had some badass fighters, and SNK games often just worked from that blueprint, Tekken fighters often just looked like muppets!

My favourite fighting series are The Last Blade series on MVS and Samurai Shodown 2, the version I played was on the 3DO, all kinds of awesome that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There was no real strategy to the MK games either. There's was no real wake up game or footsies meaning that the mind games of better fighting games were completely absent from the series. It was made by people that didn't realise what made fighting games as a genre so exciting and tried to replace it with flash and controversy.

Now that's not to say I was never young and foolish because anyone that knew me when I started on this forum can attest that I was one of the worst offenders in that regard :) I loved MK2 on release, in fact I was obsessed with it, but then I also discovered Samurai Showdown 2 around that time and learned how to play street fighter properly and it was very obvious to me which were the better playing games after a while.

Just because you were ignorant of the depth of SFII at the time (or whichever version it was), I wouldn't say you or anyone was/is foolish to like playing MK games. They're good fun. SF games (I'm excluding the first one here) are the simulators of the fighting genre imo. Comparing SF and MK is like comparing Gran Turismo to Ridge Racer, both racing games but very different yet both good fun. I know GT isn't a 'proper' sim in some eyes but anyway.

Just regarding the various fighting games mentioned; for me, none of them were as much fun to play as IK+ on the Amiga. There was a game with great music, awesome sound effects, nice simple controls producing great gameplay. Much better bonus rounds too! Turbo mode was hilarious aswell.

For all the screen flashing finishing moves in SF or the spine ripping gore in MK, it was much more satisfying connecting a punch to the stomach or a head-butt in IK+. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,794 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You know what, I wouldn't even say MK was fun at all. Mortal Kombat 2 was ok but MK 1 and 3 are really awful. I was literally only playing them for the blood.

I used to love The Way of the Exploding Fist, and not the great one on the C64, I'm talking about the Spectrum version...
    I'll get me coat :(

You know what, I wouldn't even say MK was fun at all. Mortal Kombat 2 was ok but MK 1 and 3 are really awful. I was literally only playing them for the blood.

MK3 was good fun. It was a letdown in comparison to II, but still good craic. Also, didn't UMK3 end up being a tournament game? (Noob Saibot excluded, of course)

In other news, why are all the DC heads giving out about this Superman/Batman situation? I'm genuinely asking as I'm not a DC fan at all, so I'd have no idea. Seems odd that nobody's impressed, while everyone was bouncing off the walls when Marvel characters started crossing over into each other's movies.

Well I didn't really find it fun at all. By then I had started to understand fighting games. The very limited basic combat of MK2 hadn't changed but they got rid of the fun juggle combo system for an awful dial a combo system straight out of tekken. It was a massive step back from MK2 which wasn't really that great. Sure I had a few fun multiplayer sessions with it but I'd rather have been playing something way better from Capcom or SNK.

Also just because it was a tournament game doesn't mean it was good, just popular. It's got probably the dullest get in and wake up games of any fighting games which is where all the important mind games in a fighting game happen that actually make it interesting. It's a joke compared to the options a simple fighter like SF2 present the player let alone compared to the likes of King of Fighters:

Sure it's ok for jumping around all over the place throwing out easy combos and moves but there's so little depth to it I ended up very bored very fast.

I'm quite looking forward to this Batman/Superman cross over.
    Can't see the harm in it at all.
    It's only a film and, while Man of Steel had it's problems I still had a good time.
    And the Batman trilogy was superb entertainment overall.
    So, what's not to look forward to?
    And all this as prelude to a Justice League movie too?
    These types of films are always just entertainment, once they are competently made I'll find they're worth the price of admission.
    Especially if no one pulls an Ironman 3 and tries to fake out the audience.

So roll on 2015!

39927512.jpg

Why?
    Is that something you're likely to say?
    Are we fibbing now?
    The 3DO was relatively poorly supported, but it was a blessed bounty of gaming goodness compared to the seventh later of gaming hell represented by the CDi.

So, no more of this madness, OK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

39927512.jpg

39935764.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Doesn't he have very expressive hands?
    Plus, dancing Turbo Express!!! double plus good!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Watched Enemy of the State on TV only last week and the Turbo Express inexplicably has a starring role... odd as the film came out 8 years after the console had flopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

YEAH!

I knew I recognised the console thing in Enemy Of the State. Oh DinoRex thank you, I can die a happy man now!

Anyone remember the kid playing a Game Gear in Rumble in the Bronx?
    Sadly the child was suffering a physical disability and was confined to a wheel chair,
    He seemed to make up for this affliction with incredible powers of make believe, which apparently included playing a Game Gear with no game in it.... twat!
    Screen-shot-2011-02-16-at-1.29.28-PM-600x333.png
    http://segabits.com/blog/2011/02/16/sega-in-the-media-game-gear-in-the-bronx/?replytocom=4383

Hey, I wonder how Atavans holiday is going, haven't heard from him here and checked the hospitals for a man in his 20's with the liver of an 80 year old methylated spirits drinker, but to no avail.....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I actually like the MK series , possibly as they're so tounge in cheek.
    if this is the I'm super serious SNK fighters
    serious_cat_is_serious.jpg
    ..then this is the TOASTY, MK range
    cat-with-gun.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'm a MK fan too, started off with the original on the Game Gear! They've always just been a bit of fun and Scorpion has been my favourite fighter since I first saw him pull his mask off and flambé his opponent!

My main problem with MK is how limited and unrewarding they are. You could keep playing Street Fighter or SNK games and keep learning something new. With MK there's so little depth you'll have it figured out in no time then it gets boring. I suppose this can suit some peopl that don't want to invest in a fighting game but even still it's not like SF and SNK fighters are hard to learn either but will constantly reward you when you figure start unlocking the systems intricacies.

Well, one can always be comforted that, when you're playing a Mortal Kombat game "At least I'm not playing Rise of the Robots".
    I find that the phrase is helpful in all sorts of situations

Getting leg sawn off, "At least I'm not playing Rise of the Robots".

Having eye poked out by ninja, "At least I'm not playing Rise of the Robots".

Waiting for dentist to finish pulling out wisdom tooth with a vicegrips, "At least I'm not playing Rise of the Robots".

Owning a CDi and playing Zelda on it, "At least I'm not playing Rise of the Robots"..... actually hold on, Rise of the Robots would be better ;)

Anyone remember the kid playing a Game Gear in Rumble in the Bronx?
    Sadly the child was suffering a physical disability and was confined to a wheel chair,
    He seemed to make up for this affliction with incredible powers of make believe, which apparently included playinIg a Game Gear with no game in it.... twat!
    Screen-shot-2011-02-16-at-1.29.28-PM-600x333.png
    http://segabits.com/blog/2011/02/16/sega-in-the-media-game-gear-in-the-bronx/?replytocom=4383

I believe the wee kid in Child's Play 3 did the same thing during the barber scene. Playing the Game Gear with no cart.

• Advertisement

Maybe, just maybe, the idea of playing a Gamegear game was better than actually playing a Gamegear game.
    That way, you could never be disappointed with playing a Master System game on the go, while your mates were all playing Super Mario Land 2 and Tetris.

Of course, everyone could pity the Supervision owners, who could themselves only imagine the bliss of owning a Supervision without any games, thereby being spared the misery.... what is seen cannot be unseen..... like the animation in CDi Zelda.... or Superman 64

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement