Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All things Debs/Grad related

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Daniel7740 wrote: »
    Father wasn't too impressed to hear I was goin on my own haha

Neither was my parents :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

Saving my money to hopefully go to ireland New Zealand match in November and possibly ireland wales match in the 6 nations, rather spend my 60 quid on them than on some random young wan's night out

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Colourmebright

Sorry to seem like such a n00b, but what exactly is the protocol for a girl going as a date with a lad? I see somebody else brought up the topic but I'm so confused :L

Like, I have my dress sorted and we're travelling to Dublin next week to get his suit, and he's already got the tickets, €130 for the pair and I'm pretty sure that's just the dinner...:( and there isn't any travelling involved either...anyways, We ain't getting a car or anything as it's way too expensive, and my date (long term boyfriend) didn't really want to go to his debs to begin with cause his year are like, the worst of the worst and he didn't do TY so he doesn't really talk to anyone in his year cause all his friends are in 5th year, like me.

But yeah, what exactly is the protocol? Like it seems pretty pointless the idea of him coming to pick me up, and going back to his, when chances are he'll come with his mum or parents? Is there some sort of norm for this thing? Like, what am I supposed to do, or have to be aware of for the night? What's the usual thing that happens? Sorry if i'm not making any sense :p Thanks for any advice, cause me, and the mother are clueless...(As is he)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Sorry to seem like such a n00b, but what exactly is the protocol for a girl going as a date with a lad? I see somebody else brought up the topic but I'm so confused :L

Like, I have my dress sorted and we're travelling to Dublin next week to get his suit, and he's already got the tickets, €130 for the pair and I'm pretty sure that's just the dinner...:( and there isn't any travelling involved either...anyways, We ain't getting a car or anything as it's way too expensive, and my date (long term boyfriend) didn't really want to go to his debs to begin with cause his year are like, the worst of the worst and he didn't do TY so he doesn't really talk to anyone in his year cause all his friends are in 5th year, like me.

But yeah, what exactly is the protocol? Like it seems pretty pointless the idea of him coming to pick me up, and going back to his, when chances are he'll come with his mum or parents? Is there some sort of norm for this thing? Like, what am I supposed to do, or have to be aware of for the night? What's the usual thing that happens? Sorry if i'm not making any sense :p Thanks for any advice, cause me, and the mother are clueless...(As is he)

Basically he will meet you at your house along with his family and maybe his grandparents and cousins. He will give you are corsage and your mother a box of chocolates or a bouquet of flowers. Some families begin the night with a glass of champagne, down to the girl's family I think. If your mother wants to make bite size foods, she can but nothing like a birthday celebration you know what I mean. You and your date would be posing for the pictures and the whole lot and then head off. I haven't heard of anyone picking up his date at her house and then going back to his house. It's all down to you two really.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭shawnanana

why didnt i think of that :L how long do they last before they die? like can you buy it a few days before it or what?

you're best to order it in whatever colour the girls dress is and then arrange to have it collected the day of the debs! They do not last long believe me! I went to a debs last year and mine was in absolute tatters by the end of the night haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Neither was my parents :rolleyes:

Other people going on their own.............YAY, I'm not alone (well I am, but not alone in being alone):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

shawnanana wrote: »
    you're best to order it in whatever colour the girls dress is and then arrange to have it collected the day of the debs! They do not last long believe me! I went to a debs last year and mine was in absolute tatters by the end of the night haha

might just get mam to sort it all :pac:

shawnanana wrote: »

Well that lasted long! Last year girls' corsage were falling apart by the time we were sitting down for dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭North Cork Star

Well I'm after spending 120 Euro on 2 tickets ( 60 Euro each )! It's not too bad considering it includes the bus drive as well as the meal etc.

I have a few questions regarding the Debs, as I'm not sure on a few things:

I have paid for my date's ticket ( she's from outside my school ), but is their anything else I'm expected to pay for her? - Corsage etc.

What should the lay out of my day be like?! Lets say what time should I be at my date's house for and for how long should I stay there for? ( Lets say the bus is leaving my school at 5 to go the hotel - I suppose there will be pictures taken before we leave in the Park nearby before we go ).

Only realised now all the work involved in organising a smooth night with your date! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

Went shopping for a dress today and found two gorgeous dresses in the local vintage boutique. I am so torn its ridiculous, plus they're so different it makes it harder to choose. Getting excited about the whole thing now though :D

• Advertisement

Well I'm after spending 120 Euro on 2 tickets ( 60 Euro each )! It's not too bad considering it includes the bus drive as well as the meal etc.

I have a few questions regarding the Debs, as I'm not sure on a few things:

I have paid for my date's ticket ( she's from outside my school ), but is their anything else I'm expected to pay for her? - Corsage etc.

What should the lay out of my day be like?! Lets say what time should I be at my date's house for and for how long should I stay there for? ( Lets say the bus is leaving my school at 5 to go the hotel - I suppose there will be pictures taken before we leave in the Park nearby before we go ).

Only realised now all the work involved in organising a smooth night with your date! :)

You should buy your date's mother a box of chocolates and maybe a bouquet of flowers if you wish. You also need to get her a corsage.

For the day, it's up to you. You should discuss it with your date and you can be at her house 1,2,3,4 hours before you are due to leave with the year group. Two hours is plenty I think as you can get all of the photos taken, have some pre-dinner drinks and snacks and then you can head off. How long you want to be at your date's house is entirely up to your. Remember your date would have to get ready and it requires a whole lot more effort than any of us gentlemen. Just take that into consideration :)

If I were you I'd go to my dates house at around 3-3:30 assuming the bus leaves at 5

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

The closer it gets the more I'm dreading the house part.
    Trying to prepare myself for all the family and relatives going "is this the new boyfriend?" even though its just a friend :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

I have no date. Woohoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Try not to shift yere dates :p

Try not to shift yere dates :p

sounds like you're speaking from experience? :P spill!

peekachoo wrote: »
    sounds like you're speaking from experience? :P spill!

Nothing to splii, this will be my first debs.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

is it awkward for a girl to go by herself? it's not my proper debs so I'm not that fussed with not having date (I'm going because I did ty, yadadada it should be my year etc.) but like is it pretty common or what? I've been told people tend to drift away from their dates anyways, so I might just blend in :pac:

also I have nothing prepared except a dress :embarrassed:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

peekachoo wrote: »
    The closer it gets the more I'm dreading the house part.
    Trying to prepare myself for all the family and relatives going "is this the new boyfriend?" even though its just a friend :eek:

Even though I havnt actually asked anyone yet this is what Im abso terrified of |:

deise_girl wrote: »
    Even though I havnt actually asked anyone yet this is what Im abso terrified of |:

I just don't want him to come to my house! :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

So sort it out between the two of you what you want to do (the girl and partner, I mean, not peek and deise! :p). In general, guys will be quite relieved not to be trotted out for the family scrutiny like a colt at Ballinasloe horse fair! :D

Be aware tho' that the Irish mammies may have their own plans, so a bit of calm pre-negotiation may be needed there too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

So sort it out between the two of you what you want to do (the girl and partner, I mean, not peek and deise! :p). In general, guys will be quite relieved not to be trotted out for the family scrutiny like a colt at Ballinasloe horse fair! :D

Be aware tho' that the Irish mammies may have their own plans, so a bit of calm pre-negotiation may be needed there too!

Now you're out in my land haha.

Its tomorrow 3 weeks and I still have nothing got! What colour corsage should I get if my dates dress is black and white?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Its tomorrow 3 weeks and I still have nothing got! What colour corsage should I get if my dates dress is black and white?

A red corsage- if she has red shoes

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Mines in four weeks and I have no dress and no date :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

Not bringing a partner FTW!!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

Just got asked to a 3rd debs today ;) Thank god I'm a guy and can wear the same suit :L

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Thinly veiled "I'm such a stud!" post. :cool:

Sorry, woopah, I just couldn't resist! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

7 or 8 weeks to go 700 or 800 things to organise. Oh life..

there really isnt all that much to do :P

I swear there is! The only thing I have sorted for this debs are my tickets.. And actually as I type this Im not even 100% where I left them

I still havent got mine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

I haven't got my ticket either, I don't even know where to get it :o feel super unorganised, but ah sure it's the end of august, I'm not that bothered about it

though I did get the kiss debs magazine for the lols and it kind of worried me a bit, apparently I should be organised two months in advance..whoops

Advertisement