Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cymru Lions v Wallabies, 3rd Test Match Thread, Sat July 6, 1100am

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Rightwing wrote: »
    Indeed they were. But Gatty has been a massive success, he will be able to name his price for the next tour, and I for one wouldn't bet against him winning the series either.

I would. If the Lions dish up the same medicine during the tests in NZ, it'll be 0-3...again. At least NZ has decent props, so Gatland will need a Plan B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I would. If the Lions dish up the same medicine during the tests in NZ, it'll be 0-3...again. At least NZ has decent props, so Gatland will need a Plan B.

They won't, Gatty is far too professional for that. He'd target any weakness the ABs may have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

They won't, Gatty is far too professional for that. He'd target any weakness the ABs may have.

He found it hard enough to target the obvious weaknesses that the wallabies had, he's going to struggle to find any with the AB's

Lelantos wrote: »
    He found it hard enough to target the obvious weaknesses that the wallabies had, he's going to struggle to find any with the AB's

He knew what the weakness was, but they couldn't execute it until the last game for a few reasons.

There's no doubt v ABs would be the ultimate challenge for any coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

He knew what the weakness was, but they couldn't execute it until the last game for a few reasons.

There's no doubt v ABs would be the ultimate challenge for any coach.

Reasons such as?

Most of the reasons didn't play like they did in the last twenty minutes of the third test were down to no one else but Gatland (Phillips on the field, the constant garryowens, rarely going wide off quick ball)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Reasons such as?

Most of the reasons didn't play like they did in the last twenty minutes of the third test were down to no one else but Gatland (Phillips on the field, the constant garryowens, rarely going wide off quick ball)

No one else but Gatland?

No one else but Gatland?

Well I assume he had a big say in the way the Lions played......

Actually I did phrase that awkwardly, my point was that had Gatland matched the physicality of his pack with the lethal finishing of the backs only really evident in the last 20 minutes of the series the Lions would have won at a canter

Refs & injuries would appear the obvious ones.

refs? In what sense?

Injuries had an impact on the Lions, but it didn't force them to play ultra conservative for the first two tests. What injuries would you say forced them to hold back on keeping the ball in hand until the last twenty minutes of the third test?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Blaming Lions' struggles on injuries is absolutely ridiculous. If half the Australian team didn't get injured in the first test they would have won. And they were without 2 of their best backrowers, Higginbotham and Pocock, for the whole series.

• Advertisement

matthew8 wrote: »
    Blaming Lions' struggles on injuries is absolutely ridiculous. If half the Australian team didn't get injured in the first test they would have won. And they were without 2 of their best backrowers, Higginbotham and Pocock, for the whole series.

I agree fully, that's why I didn't hear Gatty mention injuries. Far bigger pool to choose from than the Aussies.

I agree fully, that's why I didn't hear Gatty mention injuries. Far bigger pool to choose from than the Aussies.

But were you not saying two posts ago that injuries were one of the reasons the Lions couldn't exploit the weaknesses in the Wallabies side?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Gatland came close to f*cking it up. He won the series, well done on that but I by no means think he's in any way a massive favourite for the next series. He had a genuine opportunity to go for a clean sweep tour which would have been truly brilliant.

As it stands, he won the test series which was a solid and decent result and needlessly lost a warm up game.

Gatland will have to up his performance with Wales if he wants the job again. Before the WC, he publicly admitted that he expected to be sacked if they didn't make a serious impression. The only thing that kept him there that long was the fact he signed a massive 4 year deal initially. Wales were very average in the 2010 and 2011 6N. People forget that Ireland, who were heavily criticised during those periods, finished ahead of Wales 3 years in a row before Gatland saved his job by beating Ireland in the RWC.

He's a great coach but extremely fallible and I cannot see, in any way, a combination of his coaching and the current players in these islands being near good enough to strike anything beyond curiosity let alone fear into NZ rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

The Aussies could say the same thing

duckysauce wrote: »
    The Aussies could say the same thing

No doubt about that, but before this series, the question was, would the Lions be able to bully the aussies off the field up front.

In the crucial 3rd test, they proved they were. Maybe if Corb'o was still injured etc they mightn't have had, but there ifs and buts.

All well and good saying Gatland would adapt to a NZ tour, don't think there's any debate that the Lions would have been heavily beaten playing that brand of rugby in NZ, but I genuinely don't think he's capable of employing that kind of complex game plan required to beat the best side in the world over a test series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Buer wrote: »
    Gatland came close to f*cking it up. He won the series, well done on that but I by no means think he's in any way a massive favourite for the next series. He had a genuine opportunity to go for a clean sweep tour which would have been truly brilliant.

As it stands, he won the test series which was a solid and decent result and needlessly lost a warm up game.

Gatland will have to up his performance with Wales if he wants the job again. Before the WC, he publicly admitted that he expected to be sacked if they didn't make a serious impression. The only thing that kept him there that long was the fact he signed a massive 4 year deal initially. Wales were very average in the 2010 and 2011 6N. People forget that Ireland, who were heavily criticised during those periods, finished ahead of Wales 3 years in a row before Gatland saved his job by beating Ireland in the RWC.

He's a great coach but extremely fallible and I cannot see, in any way, a combination of his coaching and the current players in these islands being near good enough to strike anything beyond curiosity let alone fear into NZ rugby.

Couldn't put it better myself. The only conclusion that can confidently be made about the 3rd test is that Alexander can't scrum against good props. Wales v Ireland, Gatland v Schmidt will be a great watch.

No doubt about that, but before this series, the question was, would the Lions be able to bully the aussies off the field up front.

In the crucial 3rd test, they proved they were. Maybe if Corb'o was still injured etc they mightn't have had, but there ifs and buts.

Which is not a good indictment of Gatland as his coach, more or less the whole series heavily dependent on a loosehead prop

The Lions didn't need to settle for winning three tests with their scrummaging, they had a squad capable of actually playing rugby. But that would have required invention and risk, something not on the menu as far as Gatland was concerned

Another thing Gatty did that was clever was drop BOD.

It was harsh on BOD, but lulled the aussies into a false sense of security, when in fact the likes of BOD/Davies were never going to be match winner. It galvanised the welsh lads.

As a lions fan, would I take to NZ: Yes. Absolutely.

Another thing Gatty did that was clever was drop BOD.

It was harsh on BOD, but lulled the aussies into a false sense of security, when in fact the likes of BOD/Davies were never going to be match winner. It galvanised the welsh lads.

As a lions fan, would I take to NZ: Yes. Absolutely.

Firstly, why on earth would he drop BOD to galvanise the Welsh players? That would do nothing but piss off the rest of the squad

And tbh, going by the comments from some of the players since it seems it did just that

Neither Davies or BOD were going to be match winners, because the game plan didn't allow it, so the putting BOD out of the team changes nothing really bar you get a worse defender at 13

It's for this reason I really still can't make sense of the decision, all it seems to have done is leave a sour taste for a lot of fans and now it seems players

I ask again, how was it something he should be applauded for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Dropping BOD had absolutely no bearing on the game Rightwing. It was not a clever or ballsy move in the slightest and people need to stop thinking it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Teferi wrote: »
    Dropping BOD had absolutely no bearing on the game Rightwing. It was not a clever or ballsy move in the slightest and people need to stop thinking it was.

It was ballsy. No doubting that. It wasn't clever though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Buer wrote: »
    It was ballsy. No doubting that. It wasn't clever though.

I don't think it was ballsy in the way people are talking about it though - as though Gatland had some tricks up his sleeve.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,038 ✭✭✭✭phog

Teferi wrote: »

Of course it was ballsy, however it may not have been clever.

It might have lead Australia to focus elsewhere than their biggest weakness - their scrum. If it did I seriously doubt it was the reason for dropping Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭Christy42

Which is not a good indictment of Gatland as his coach, more or less the whole series heavily dependent on a loosehead prop

The Lions didn't need to settle for winning three tests with their scrummaging, they had a squad capable of actually playing rugby. But that would have required invention and risk, something not on the menu as far as Gatland was concerned

It was his 3rd choice loosehead to be fair. Gatland's main aim was winning the series and he did that. Playing flowing rugby against some of the world's best backs seems like a bad idea. People keep slagging of Gatland but there are few coaches at his level (there are a few but an entire list is hard to come up with). At the moment he is the only valid candidate for NZ, Lancaster and Schmidt have the chance to throw their name in the hat over the next 4 years, not many others really.

Yes these tactics would have lost us the series in NZ but he designed them with Australia in mind. He went with what he knew and really the nations play different styles of rugby making a gel with a good mix of nations a poor play as too many will be playing in an unfamiliar system. The lions will get destroyed by NZ in 4 years barring a rash of injuries for NZ or some insane talent coming forward. They are too good. The only player the lions had that would make a full strength NZ squad is O'Driscoll and even then Conrad Smith is only slightly worse and might be better. A couple would challenge for bench spots but not the starting team.

Christy42 wrote: »
    It was his 3rd choice loosehead to be fair. Gatland's main aim was winning the series and he did that. Playing flowing rugby against some of the world's best backs seems like a bad idea. People keep slagging of Gatland but there are few coaches at his level (there are a few but an entire list is hard to come up with). At the moment he is the only valid candidate for NZ, Lancaster and Schmidt have the chance to throw their name in the hat over the next 4 years, not many others really.

Yes these tactics would have lost us the series in NZ but he designed them with Australia in mind. He went with what he knew and really the nations play different styles of rugby making a gel with a good mix of nations a poor play as too many will be playing in an unfamiliar system. The lions will get destroyed by NZ in 4 years barring a rash of injuries for NZ or some insane talent coming forward. They are too good. The only player the lions had that would make a full strength NZ squad is O'Driscoll and even then Conrad Smith is only slightly worse and might be better. A couple would challenge for bench spots but not the starting team.

Why? It seemed to work in the last 15 minutes of the third test, which was the only consistent ambition shown by the Lions in the test series

And surely holding onto the ball rather than leaving the Wallabies have it for the majority of the series would be a better tactic if neutralizing the Aussie backline was the concern ?(not that they did much with the vast amounts of ball they had, which is largely down to poor coaching and playing a 15 at 10)

I couldn't agree with your 1st paragraph more. We'll see how Schmidt & Lancaster get on v Gatty in the 6Nations.

I couldn't agree with your 1st paragraph more. We'll see how Schmidt & Lancaster get on v Gatty in the 6Nations.

And the outcome of those games will have no baring on who will manage a tour 4 years down the line

Declan Kidney was widely touted as a strong favorite after the 09 tour and look how that went

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭Christy42

I think he means over the next few years as presumably the last 6 nations matches before they pick the manager will have an effect.

• Advertisement

I think he means over the next few years as presumably the last 6 nations matches before they pick the manager will have an effect.

That's exactly it. Kidney was able for H cups, fell on the international sword. Let's see how Schmidt will to. We know Gatty has mastered both club and international level. Safe pair of hands imo.

Advertisement