Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cymru Lions v Wallabies, 3rd Test Match Thread, Sat July 6, 1100am

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Christy42 wrote: »
    I think he means over the next few years as presumably the last 6 nations matches before they pick the manager will have an effect.

Well it seemed to imply the next six nations

In any case I hope to god Gatland isn't involved in the next tour, for my own enjoyment of the brand if nothing else

I'd rather the Lions had played like they did in 09 and lost again than what transpired down under for 2 and 3/4 tests

I really didn't enjoy the tour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Christy42 wrote: »
    Playing flowing rugby against some of the world's best backs seems like a bad idea.

This makes absolutely no sense.

Well it seemed to imply the next six nations

In any case I hope to god Gatland isn't involved in the next tour, for my own enjoyment of the brand if nothing else

I'd rather the Lions had played like they did in 09 and lost again than what transpired down under for 2 and 3/4 tests

I really didn't enjoy the tour

I couldn't wait for the tour but as it developed I found I wasn't nearly invested in it as I would have been compared to Ireland or Leinster.

danthefan wrote: »
    I couldn't wait for the tour but as it developed I found I wasn't nearly invested in it as I would have been compared to Ireland or Leinster.

Same here. I remember the 09 tour and I really, really wanted them to win.

But nothing about this tour came close and by the end I was merely happy for the Irish lads rather than the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I think most are the same, I'd much prefer to see Munster win a big H cup match than the lions win a series, especially one with only a few Munster & Irish players involved.

• Advertisement

Rightwing wrote: »
    I think most are the same, I'd much prefer to see Munster win a big H cup match than the lions win a series, especially one with only a few Munster & Irish players involved.

He's highlighting the difference he felt between this tour and the last, not the Lions in general

It's very hard to invest in a team playing such turgid rugby, and such a conservative coach

Add to that how poor the Wallabies were (even though the still nearly won the series), the terrible Sky coverage and the poor quality of the test games in comparison to 09 and it's no surprise people didn't invest in the tour

He's highlighting the difference he felt between this tour and the last, not the Lions in general

It's very hard to invest in a team playing such turgid rugby, and such a conservative coach

Add to that how poor the Wallabies were (even though the still nearly won the series), the terrible Sky coverage and the poor quality of the test games in comparison to 09 and it's no surprise people didn't invest in the tour

Absolutely, was gutted when the Lions lost in 2009.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

The Lions is a nice sortee into enemy territory, and a win is always welcome. But it's a distant third behind club & international rugby for most imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

Absolutely, was gutted when the Lions lost in 2009.

The Lions loss in 2009 was self inflicted. Vickery was destroyed in the first test, and should have been taken off way sooner. O'Gara then threw away the second test.

The best the Lions could have hoped for in the 09 tour was a drawn series. They didn't deserve to win it.

Conas wrote: »
    The Lions loss in 2009 was self inflicted. Vickery was destroyed in the first test, and should have been taken off way sooner. O'Gara then threw away the second test.

The best the Lions could have hoped for in the 09 tour was a drawn series. They didn't deserve to win it.

That isn't really the point.

• Advertisement

Lelantos wrote: »
    The Lions is a nice sortee into enemy territory, and a win is always welcome. But it's a distant third behind club & international rugby for most imo

Ya I agree, my point was that it was easier to invest more in the 09 tour than this time around

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭twinytwo

i suggest you watch the game, it was lost long before o'Gara gave away the peno.

I agree, that series appears like it was very winnable. Only thing is, did the boks care for the 3rd test.

twinytwo wrote: »
    i suggest you watch the game, it was lost long before o'Gara gave away the peno.

LONG LOST? :eek: It was a draw!!!!

LONG LOST? :eek: It was a draw!!!!

Yep, that was my recollection of it too, a disastrous cameo from ROG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Why was ROG on and where was he playing ? The Lions were absolutely decimated with injuries in that game and the try that snatched the win from them was a result of that. Thats what cost them not one penalty conceded while trying to get into a position to win the game.

Why was ROG on and where was he playing ? The Lions were absolutely decimated with injuries in that game and the try that snatched the win from them was a result of that. Thats what cost them not one penalty conceded while trying to get into a position to win the game.

If memory serves me correctly, he was only on the field for the last 10-15 mins, and pressed the self destruct button.

He replaced Jamie Roberts. Stephen Jones moved to centre I think, and ROG into 10.

Rightwing wrote: »
    If memory serves me correctly, he was only on the field for the last 10-15 mins, and pressed the self destruct button.

This year against Scotland was by far the worst. As the top comment on You Tube reads:

"Absolutely outrageous kick. And then when clearing he misses touch by a country mile, creating their two best attacking opportunities in the entire match singlehandedly for them. Hate to see a legend of Irish rugby have his legacy tarnished like this..."

This year against Scotland was by far the worst. As the top comment on You Tube reads:

"Absolutely outrageous kick. And then when clearing he misses touch by a country mile, creating their two best attacking opportunities in the entire match singlehandedly for them. Hate to see a legend of Irish rugby have his legacy tarnished like this..."

You are right. Players should know when to call it a day, or else the coach will have to make the hard decisions that look ugly to your average punter but are more than necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Is there any special reason ROG is being talked about, hes retired lads, its getting a bit boring tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭stpaddy99

astonaidan wrote: »
    Is there any special reason ROG is being talked about, hes retired lads, its getting a bit boring tbh

look out here comes the thought police....if you are bored why are you joining this thread? hes only just retired, besides posters can tlak about what they like,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭ConFurioso

stpaddy99 wrote: »
    look out here comes the thought police....if you are bored why are you joining this thread? hes only just retired, besides posters can tlak about what they like,

Because it's about the 3rd Lions Test this year, not ROG's career?

astonaidan wrote: »

Pretty sad bashing ROG on this thread of all places

Now that ain't true!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Folks if you want to discuss ROG and his previous Lions exploits than take it to the Lions thread.

heres another reminded of why world class Jonathon davies was picked and why he helped us hammer aussie....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyU0n87zaAA

hes done us with 3 superb tries the past 3 seasons, one of them in the world cup where he stitched up our 3 defenders....hes got 35 tries in 101 games for scarlets and 9 in 35 for wales....most of them big tries too....he is a demonically powerful defender and sets up loads of tries...Im a true rugby fan and see his brilliance regardless fo nationality

heres another reminded of why world class Jonathon davies was picked and why he helped us hammer aussie....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyU0n87zaAA

hes done us with 3 superb tries the past 3 seasons, one of them in the world cup where he stitched up our 3 defenders....hes got 35 tries in 101 games for scarlets and 9 in 35 for wales....most of them big tries too....he is a demonically powerful defender and sets up loads of tries...Im a true rugby fan and see his brilliance regardless fo nationality

That post just oozes exaggeration,

Davies simply isn't world class, and it's nothing to do with him being played over BOD.

He's a decent defender, not sure what "demonically powerful" means but it's an exaggeration. There are far better defenders of the 13 channel, BOD being the prime example in the NH of a guy who's technically on another level in terms of defensive play. De Villiers, Conrad Smith all up their too

He's a very poor distributor, very good at short balls but anything over four or five feet and his accuracy disappears

He's not that fast either, doesn't have a great step.

I'm focusing on the negatives here, I do think Davies is a good player, not my kind of 13 but he's certainly not even in the top 10 13's in world rugby never mind world class

And I would have said all this before the Lions tour (and I did more or less if you want to check it up) before you go screaming bias

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭KJY

Unrelated to the whole selection thing, but the vest majority of that video (at club level anyway) shows him playing at 12

• Advertisement

That post just oozes exaggeration,

Davies simply isn't world class, and it's nothing to do with him being played over BOD.

He's a decent defender, not sure what "demonically powerful" means but it's an exaggeration. There are far better defenders of the 13 channel, BOD being the prime example in the NH of a guy who's technically on another level in terms of defensive play. De Villiers, Conrad Smith all up their too

He's a very poor distributor, very good at short balls but anything over four or five feet and his accuracy disappears

He's not that fast either, doesn't have a great step.

I'm focusing on the negatives here, I do think Davies is a good player, not my kind of 13 but he's certainly not even in the top 10 13's in world rugby never mind world class

And I would have said all this before the Lions tour (and I did more or less if you want to check it up) before you go screaming bias
    youre just lying now....hes been in every game of the welsh side that hammered us in the world cup ,he scored the winning try by beating 3 defenders, he got 4 world cup tries and got wales to a semi final....in his first full welsh season....the second season he won grand slam, the third season won 6 nations again....then got selected for lions first choice ahead of odriscoll and tuilagi and won the series....now bad for 3 season in test rugby? hes scored 35 tries in 101 for scarlets who are a weak side up front and 9 in 35 for wales.....he is demonically powerful in defence as the videos show (if you bothered to watch them) if you cnat understand what that means, get a dictionary. youre opinion is irrelevant anyway as youre biased and you don't support the lions

Advertisement