Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Check that the download speed shown in utorrent matches the download speed you pay for.
    The torrents need to be well seeded/seeded from fast connections to allow you to max out your connection.

Using www.speedtest.net I generally get speeds of between 14mb-17mb but when downloading I max out at 1.6mb

Is there anything I can do to improve this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Using www.speedtest.net I generally get speeds of between 14mb-17mb but when downloading I max out at 1.6mb

Is there anything I can do to improve this?

You're getting the right readings - 16 Mb on Speedtest should work out around 1.6 MB / s in reality. MegaBytes vs. Megabits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

You're getting the right readings - 16 Mb on Speedtest should work out around 1.6 MB / s in reality. MegaBytes vs. Megabits.

Thanks for clearing that up pal.

I was getting 3meg while downloading this evening. Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

im on 50mb upc and speedtest usually give me between 30 and 40 speeds

depending on seeds/peers id say mostly i get 2mb to 2.8mb speeds on utorrent. fastest ever was around 5.5mb but that happens once in a blue moon. i usually get 4mb for music albums.

am i also getting the right speeds? doing the utorrent setup guide thing seems to screw with my speeds and having the latest version of utorrent does also

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You'll rarely ever get full speed on torrents:
    1. Poor Seeding
    2. Overhead(up to 10%)
    3. Concurrency(its 50 connections vs 1 fast one)
    4. If you're on wifi the half duplex can cause issues too
    5. EPC is sh1t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 DarrenTurner

^^This

and proof...

15s95pe.png

normally tops out at 18.6MBps but I was impatient!

can you send me an invite to a private tracker site? cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭rampantglory

id take an invite if its going... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

id take an invite if its going... :)

me too..

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Can we please not turn this into a give us an invite thread? A million users will ask and zero to none of them will get one.

ED E wrote: »
    Can we please not turn this into a give us an invite thread? A million users will ask and zero to none of them will get one.

zero to be exact.....

can only give to friends and family for obvious reasons sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 DarrenTurner

zero to be exact.....

can only give to friends and family for obvious reasons sorry.

i understand.. how did you get yours in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

i understand.. how did you get yours in the first place?
    Generally you join one private tracker either via invite from a friend or via open signups (many sites are occasionally open to new registrations). Once in many private sites have sections where invites to other trackers are offered if you've maintained a good ratio and generally been a good citizen. Thus you get an invite to another tracker which may have a section for invites to yet more trackers and so on....

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jledru

Hi everyone,

I don't know if it s the right place to post but could be.
    I m french and I would like to know what is the current policy against illegal downloading in Ireland.
    What are the risks?
    What happens if you get caught ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,558 ✭✭✭✭briany

jledru wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I don't know if it s the right place to post but could be.
    I m french and I would like to know what is the current policy against illegal downloading in Ireland.
    What are the risks?
    What happens if you get caught ?

Thanks

Different ISPs have different policies about it. Some will try to lower your speed, others will send out warnings in the post and after a certain amount of warnings they'll disconnect your internet. Luckily, civil suits; copyright holders suing individuals don't seem to happen in this part of the world very much. I can't find much information regarding such instances on Google anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 GaryL0904

What torrent client is everyone using? And are there any known isp's to throttle in ireland? Vodafone recently upgraded my speeds to the fastest my line could handle, but my torrent speeds have dropped significantly since this.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭corroonb

So has anyone got any warnings/legal threats while using UPC to download torrents? I assume plenty of people are doing so without a VPN as many of the Irish peers I run into have UPC IP addresses.

It will be interesting to see what changes come from the speech from Shatter today....

Darknet here we come....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,558 ✭✭✭✭briany

It will be interesting to see what changes come from the speech from Shatter today....

Darknet here we come....

Best to fight for freedom of the Internet on the regular Internet before considering that option. Problems with DarkNets is that they're just that; dark. They're sort of like the back alleys of cyberspace where some may go for refuge when things get too hot on the street, yes, but also the place where some legitimate bad guys lurk. As such, it would be all too easy for politicians to call for an ISP level clampdown on the protocols that allow access to them, citing all kinds of concerns. As well as that, they're slow and sometimes unreliable.

No block they put in place will be hard to navigate around. As long as ISPs are not providing viable content services of their own, this is virtually assured.

So any recommendations to go next? torrent servers? usenet? vpn's? what have peeps used and what can ye recommend
    cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

So any recommendations to go next? torrent servers? usenet? vpn's? what have peeps used and what can ye recommend
    cheers

You should be using a VPN anyway.

• Advertisement

I'm going to try a seedbox as I can't get a VPN to work with my crappy new router. FeralHosting look good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

This is probably a rookie question but how does one set up a VPN and what are the advantages?

This is probably a rookie question but how does one set up a VPN and what are the advantages?

You buy a subscription from a provider (list here; http://torrentfreak.com/vpn-services-that-take-your-anonymity-seriously-2013-edition-130302/) and use their client software to log in. The advantages are that it hides your IP address and this means you can download torrent without worrying about letters demanding cash. Not that I think this is an issue yet in Ireland. You can also use it to stream from BBC iPlayer, Hulu or Netflix like services.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 nmop_apisdn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Obliged gents

You should be using a VPN anyway.

so whats the story using v.p.n. and gaming should i disconnect from vpn before starting to play ? will it affect my ping?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

so whats the story using v.p.n. and gaming should i disconnect from vpn before starting to play ? will it affect my ping?

Don't know. Never really gamed online. Don't have the attention span for it. You could always do a Pingtest before and after you switch on your VPN.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

so i have UPC connection, my router is a TC7200.U

is there away to reconnect it to get a new ip? the interface has a "WAN IP renew" button on the basics-tab, but it doesnt actually renew the ip... what gives?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Looks like vodafone have enforced the block on The Pirate Bay from this evening anyway....

• Advertisement

just use tor...

Advertisement