Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Owen_S wrote: »
    Forced encryption and randomized ports are doing the job for me right now, although I don't know if this is a permanent solution.

Torrent encryption is pretty useless as all the announces are in plaintext so unless you're torrenting personal info it doesnt have a purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

Hey guys,

I have UPC horizon, 150MB internet.

My download speed test is like 120MB so its really strong but my utorrent caps out at like 900kb/s maybe 1.2mb.

My ports are open, Im wondering is it my torrent settings or whats up? UPC said they are not throttling my bit speed so..

any suggestions? ( Ive attached a jpeg of my basic settings )

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

change your global download rate to 0 and try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

got an improvement with that, went to 2.0mbs but rly expecting more with a download rate of 120mbs on speed test :/ any other tips? appreciate ure answer btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Try the setting for randomizing the port on startup, but you'll probably also need to have upnp turned on on your router for it to work properly.

You could also try increasing your upload speed (try double).

Also try downloading a couple of very well seeded torrents where the are a lot more seeders than leeches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

-Vega- wrote: »
    got an improvement with that, went to 2.0mbs but rly expecting more with a download rate of 120mbs on speed test :/ any other tips? appreciate ure answer btw :)

If you're on public trackers there are far more leechers than seeders so getting great speeds just wont happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Any VPN provider recommendations guys? Hopefully one that gives you a high percentage (80%+) of your native speed. 100mbit UPC in my case.

I'd be paying for a years sub with a 3v voucher for the purposes of privacy.

Btw, there is a gamer in the house. Will a VPN affect pings? ie. is the VPN something I should allocate to my asus RT-N66U router so that it covers all traffic onto our home gigabit network or just set the VPN up on the downloading machine so that the other network traffic to/from the internet doesn't go through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Anyone on Vodafone having issues? , as of today my torrent speeds seem capped/throttled at 200-250kB/s regardless of torrent or machine i use. Usually id be running just under 1000kB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Anyone using a linux machine with a VPN to do their torrenting? I made an ubuntu virtual machine and got a vpn (paid, not a freebie) working fine with it. I have a script running that starts with the VM that checks that the VPN is running every 10 seconds and restarts it if it isnt. However if the remote VPN host stops working or has some issue and will not start a VPN session then the script is obviously not going to be able to start it

I now just need to get a client that will only use the VPN and just will not use a bare internet connection. I have seen that deluge is a good candidate but I am having trouble. Anyone know of a foolproof/idiotproof (i.e. me) guide for secure torrenting?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Do Vodafone throttle torrents?
    Also, I know that they have a FUP of 350GB but they say this is only to make sure you don't have a virus or something, what happens if you go over? Say if I managed to download 2TB of data, what would happen?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dyigirl4help

UPC does not throttle in PL. I have checked for RST packets with wireshark while testing several different torrents of different size, quality, place of origin and I was getting maxed out speeds. Just to let you guys know that UPC here actually stands by it's promise. I have used up about 1TB download and about 400GB upload last month on torrents alone and no issues. I also use youtube on highest settings, I try to watch 720p or 1080p documentaries on Youtube so you can Imagine that sucks up bandwidth also, not to mention FTP and HTTP up and down. So it truly is *unlimited* here, but I insinuate it is due to fierce competition from several other ISPs in the area ( sadly hasn't reached my outskirts of the city I reside in), but typically there are about 5-10 different ISPs fighting for customers, so UPC can't pull their monopolistic tactics here :) I really feel bad for people who live in remote areas where UPC is the sole ISP. All they do is provide a DUMB PIPE to your home. I would hate to use the R word because it makes light of the word for half the population, but they really do stick it to the little guy. It really irks and vexes me that such greedy tactics are allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

well, i live in an apartment complex where only eircom is available. thats why i didnt dare to p2p.

i guess i have to look for any decent hoster that allows for multiple/unlimited download without being locked out for a day after downloading.

murfilein wrote: »
    well, i live in an apartment complex where only eircom is available. thats why i didnt dare to p2p.

i guess i have to look for any decent hoster that allows for multiple/unlimited download without being locked out for a day after downloading.
    I would carefully read over the TOS and see if there is anything about being *monitored*, and about what type of traffic they allow/disallow and it could be a breach of TOS on their end. I know I am pulling at straws here, but I got out of a few contracts in the US myself that way. They would not admit to *monitoring* (I used careful law speak when talking to a rep in a calm but stern voice) my internet usage and I threw a few state regulatory laws at them and they caved, let me out of my contract early, no termination fee and I did not have to pay for that month, and it was end of the month mind you with a fee around 99.99 dollars. But they have plenty of ( I would hate to use the word suckers, as it puts people down, and it really irks me that people don't educate themselves about their rights) but like I said, they have plenty of other customers to steal.../coughs I mean provide a quantified /coughs...quality service to. I am sorry, my fingers are coughing today.

Post Scriptum I forgot to mention that they are a provider of a dumb pipe, nothing more, nothing less, who are they to adjudicate the use of your dumb pipe.

I wonder do Sky monitor torrents?

I wonder do Sky monitor torrents?
    It's not so much as the ISP monitoring torrents rather them monitoring the QOS and throttling different protocols. It is estimated that p2p accounts for up to 75% of all internet traffic currently. So you can imagine that the sysop at a given ISP has to shape traffic so each customer gets a fair share. Usually a given person is faced with the *top 5* which means the top 5% of datahogs which are usually real heavy torrent users who do nothing but torrent day and night and congest a given neighborhood hub. They are faced with traffic shaping, so sometimes, when you see your torrent speed drop, it is not because you did something wrong, but someone connected in your area is bottlenecking everyone else, sure the sysop can throttle that one person, but it's easier to simply throttle that hub (nothing personal against you, but there are others to think about) When someone torrents something they shouldn't and they receive a warning from their ISP, it is not because the ISP is monitoring them, rather they are simply faced with a dilemma of having to forward a warning to you from a third party (usually a company that does nothing but connect to swarms and collect IP addresses and send out infringement letters to the ISP which is giving out the corresponding IP range) Luckily more and more judges are realizing that this has become a de facto modus operandi for certain law firms who do nothing but bully people into 2.5-5K euro settlements vs taking them to court over downloading some insertcrappysongnamehere.mp3. With open wifi and more and more of the older generation having unsecured routers at home, a lot of the time, the person being served a cease and desist letter is not the person doing the infringing at all, it could simply be a techy neighbor who hooked onto your unsecured network. I apologize for the essay I wrote but it really irks me, these laws we have on the books. If we had more legal media distribution services which are fairly prices, I insinuate that pirating would take a backseat.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1 r1983

Sky sux for all... bittorrent, web page loading, downloading threw the web there a joke, I am moving to UPC asap.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Do Vodafone throttle torrents?
    Also, I know that they have a FUP of 350GB but they say this is only to make sure you don't have a virus or something, what happens if you go over? Say if I managed to download 2TB of data, what would happen?

Thanks.

I don't believe they'll do anything. I remember reading something saying that they've never charge someone for going over the limit.

I'm with Vodafone use uTorrent 24/7. Never witnessed any throttling; although, I'm usually seeding 90% of the time and my upload speed maxes out at 70Kb/s, so it's barely a blip on the backhaul.

Do any of you guys use utorrent control via ipad or some other external wifi device, also how safe from a security standpoint would it be. Say for instance I was a bad guy and was using a cantena or some other doohickie to catch packets and run wireshark and hexeditor etc etc. I was wondering because it would make it easier to check on my torrent computer instead of having to change hdmi input via hdmi hub to a different computer to check on utorrent. This is strictly a safety / security question. Is utorrent open source? I know on the IOS side, it's a crapshoot because it is closed source, even for a jailbroken device ( NOT used for pirating apps but I wanted openSSH and theme control / more overall control on it ).

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

Something seems to have happened on UPC this evening regarding torrenting. I am finding that many proxy sites of a certain torrent sharing site are now being blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

ryanch09 wrote: »
    Something seems to have happened on UPC this evening regarding torrenting. I am finding that many proxy sites of a certain torrent sharing site are now being blocked.
    I noticed that too, still plenty of open ones though.

• Advertisement

ryanch09 wrote: »

Probably has something to do with this: http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/36295-eu-court-of-justice-rules/

God dammit! I'll have to take another 10 seconds out of my day to go googling another proxy! Damn you UPC....damn you to hell!!

Calibos wrote: »
    God dammit! I'll have to take another 10 seconds out of my day to go googling another proxy! Damn you UPC....damn you to hell!!
    How deep are these blocks? Are they DNS blocks? All you need to do is edit your hosts file with a line that looks like “www.thepiratebay.se TPB IP GOES HERE”. There is also a plugin for Firefox that circumvents such blocks called MafiaaFire which is a basic redirector with a simple statement which reads *Un-censor the net and illegally taken down domains.*. Hope I helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They're at IP address level unfortunately.

I don't believe they'll do anything. I remember reading something saying that they've never charge someone for going over the limit.

I'm with Vodafone use uTorrent 24/7. Never witnessed any throttling; although, I'm usually seeding 90% of the time and my upload speed maxes out at 70Kb/s, so it's barely a blip on the backhaul.
    It's not so much as the ISP monitoring torrents rather them monitoring the QOS and throttling different protocols. It is estimated that p2p accounts for up to 75% of all internet traffic currently. So you can imagine that the sysop at a given ISP has to shape traffic so each customer gets a fair share. Usually a given person is faced with the *top 5* which means the top 5% of datahogs which are usually real heavy torrent users who do nothing but torrent day and night and congest a given neighborhood hub. They are faced with traffic shaping, so sometimes, when you see your torrent speed drop, it is not because you did something wrong, but someone connected in your area is bottlenecking everyone else, sure the sysop can throttle that one person, but it's easier to simply throttle that hub (nothing personal against you, but there are others to think about) When someone torrents something they shouldn't and they receive a warning from their ISP, it is not because the ISP is monitoring them, rather they are simply faced with a dilemma of having to forward a warning to you from a third party (usually a company that does nothing but connect to swarms and collect IP addresses and send out infringement letters to the ISP which is giving out the corresponding IP range) Luckily more and more judges are realizing that this has become a de facto modus operandi for certain law firms who do nothing but bully people into 2.5-5K euro settlements vs taking them to court over downloading some insertcrappysongnamehere.mp3. With open wifi and more and more of the older generation having unsecured routers at home, a lot of the time, the person being served a cease and desist letter is not the person doing the infringing at all, it could simply be a techy neighbor who hooked onto your unsecured network. I apologize for the essay I wrote but it really irks me, these laws we have on the books. If we had more legal media distribution services which are fairly prices, I insinuate that pirating would take a backseat.:o
    Thanks to the both of you for your replies,
    From talking to a Vodafone rep they said that the 300GB FUP is now gone, so much for protecting the users from data eating viruses!
    I'll soon be getting Vodafone Fibre or I might wait it out and get Sky Fibre, can't wait to have a 20Mb-ish upload! :D

How deep are these blocks? Are they DNS blocks? All you need to do is edit your hosts file with a line that looks like “www.thepiratebay.se TPB IP GOES HERE”. There is also a plugin for Firefox that circumvents such blocks called MafiaaFire which is a basic redirector with a simple statement which reads *Un-censor the net and illegally taken down domains.*. Hope I helped.

My post was satire.

It's a doddle to get around even without browser plugins or editing the hosts file. Signing up for a VPN soon anyway because I plan to really take the piss with my connection soon. :D

Calibos wrote: »
    My post was satire.

It's a doddle to get around even without browser plugins or editing the hosts file. Signing up for a VPN soon anyway because I plan to really take the piss with my connection soon. :D
    Yeah that was going to be my next suggestion. After USA started up with their 6 strikes on the buttocks law, there was a sudden surge in new VPN customers. Could there be a correlation there? Hmmmm:rolleyes: Although you have to take account your bandwidth speed and usually you won't get 100% of that with a VPN, also always make sure to follow their instructions on setting up a VPN, mainly because a lot of people set it up and think they are safe, but their IP *leaks* anyway:p You will be lucky to get 75% of your max download and 50-60% of your upload with most VPNs as you are adding a middleman between your traffic, and most VPNs are already congested as it is. So shop around for a good one. Here is a good place to start looking. http://torrentfreak.com/vpn-services-that-take-your-anonymity-seriously-2013-edition/

Remember to choose VPNs located in countries with no data retention laws: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=331316

• Registered Users Posts: 13,547 ✭✭✭✭briany

Here's an interesting bit of news - Demonoid is back (Torrentfreak news link), apparently. My old login works on it, although a quick nose tells me that it looks like a bit of a torrent graveyard/museum. Hardly the trove of obscurity it was back in the heady mid-late 2000s.

• Advertisement

Remember to choose VPNs located in countries with no data retention laws: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=331316

According to that we've a data retention law.... Do we? :eek:

Advertisement