Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭rampantglory

is there a need to set ipv6 to static? and if so where do i find the ranges?

i guess no one knows about ipv6 then..lol

so i got 50mg upc and am only getting around 3-5mg down and 1-2up through utorrent

speedtest return 50 down and 6 up

i have a green connection on torrent port open , software firewall allows utorrent etc... any help??

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

i guess no one knows about ipv6 then..lol

so i got 50mg upc and am only getting around 3-5mg down and 1-2up through utorrent

speedtest return 50 down and 6 up

i have a green connection on torrent port open , software firewall allows utorrent etc... any help??

If you are talking 3-5MBps like uT will display then thats what you should get. 50Mb != 50MB.

thanks for the reply fella

sorry it should read 50mb not mg, im only getting about a fraction of what i should on utorrent, in comparison to Magnet which i previously had im a little slower even though that speed tested at 17mb (down)...

I cant figure it out....

If utorrent reads 5MBps then thats your max speed.... 50Mb = roughly 5MBps

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »

Utorrent is reading 1.2-2.1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

50MB from UPC = 50Mbps = c. 5.5MB/s download speed so uTorrent reading 5MB/s would be perfectly fine. 5Mbps on the other hand means there's an issue.

Utorrent is reading 1.2-2.1

Ok, thats clearer.

1. Remember, not all torrents are well seeded.

2. Limit simultaneous connections to 50 or 60 and download something well seeded, see how you get one.

Are you using DHT?

Ok, thats clearer.

1. Remember, not all torrents are well seeded.

2. Limit simultaneous connections to 50 or 60 and download something well seeded, see how you get one.

Are you using DHT?

These would be new/well seeded, dht yes, ill try limiting connections

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭kenyard

i have a general question about seeding. UPC
    my upload speed is around 300kb/s

i have 10 torrents or so atm and my upload speed is 3kb/s

sometimes it will jump to my max or close to it, depending. but just for one seed.

anyway short question shortenened, do UPC limit uploading? seems random as hell.

• Advertisement

kenyard wrote: »
    anyway short question shortenened, do UPC limit uploading? seems random as hell.

No, they don't throttle download or upload of any protocol.

The torrents you are seeding are just not popular enough that leechers will prefer your connection over other seeders with lower latency/higher speed connections. i.e. seedboxes

• Registered Users Posts: 13 DarrenTurner

im paying for 150Mb from UPC and i never get any higher than 900kb-1.0 MBs on utorrent. Unfortunately having using the crap Cisco EPC3925. Any ideas on how to get it up to scratch?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

im paying for 150Mb from UPC and i never get any higher than 900kb-1.0 MBs on utorrent. Unfortunately having using the crap Cisco EPC3925. Any ideas on how to get it up to scratch?

im on 50mb with the same router. when i try the newest version of utorrent i only get very low speeds like yours. ive went back to version 2.2.1 and i can speeds of 5mb but the average would be around 2 to 3mb. maybe try the 2.2.1 version!

id love someone to answer his question on how to get even faster speeds?

are ye sure its not the torrents "fault".. as in not enough seeds or limited uploading seeds? are ye wireless and if so what are ure wireless cards capable off? remember a torrent is never going to max out ur connection you would need rapid share/newzbin for that (newzbin are against upc t+c)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭moonboy52

are ye sure its not the torrents "fault".. as in not enough seeds or limited uploading seeds? are ye wireless and if so what are ure wireless cards capable off? remember a torrent is never going to max out ur connection you would need rapid share/newzbin for that (newzbin are against upc t+c)

Of course a torrent will max your connection. You just need to be on a private tracker that use's seedboxes.

I have never heard of Usenet traffic being against the UPC T&C's

ok sorry most torrents wont max out ure connection....

im a resonably new upc customer and i had a quick flick through the t+c's at the time and was surprised to see it but it was there....
    no mention of torrents ,p2p or anything just newsgroups...

Section 7: Usenet Newsgroups
    The following uses of UPC systems, services and equipment as described below expressly prohibited:
     Posting the same or similar messages to large numbers of Usenet newsgroups (Newsgroup Spam, USENET Spam,
    Unsolicited Commercial Messaging, Unsolicited Commercial Mail, and Mass Mail Fraud).
     Posting chain letters or other pyramid schemes, of any type.
     Posting encoded binary files to newsgroups not specifically named for that purpose.
     Postings that contain offensive or abusive language.
     Cancellation or superseding of postings other than your own, with the exception of official newsgroup moderators
    performing their duties.
     Forging of header information. This includes attempting to circumvent the approval process for posting to a moderated
    newsgroup.
     Solicitations of mail for any other e-mail address other than that of the poster‟s account or service, with intent to harass or
    to collect replies.
     Postings that are in violation of the written charters or FAQ‟s for those newsgroups.
     Posting of Usenet articles from the UPC network or networks of other Internet Service Providers on behalf of, or to
    advertise any service hosted by UPC, or connected via the UPC network.
     Failure to secure a news server so as to prevent the unauthorised use of customer resources by a third party which may
    result in Usenet posts, which violate this policy.
     Advertisements posted in newsgroups whose charters/FAQ‟s explicitly prohibit them. The poster of an advertisement or
    other information is responsible for determining the etiquette of a given

Section 7: Usenet Newsgroups

It seems like it is uploading to Usenet is the issue. I could be reading it wrong though.

Not many upload to Usenet so should not be an issue.

i dont and have never used usenet but is it not a two way thing.. as in while ur d/l ure also u/l ? moot point really

i dont and have never used usenet but is it not a two way thing.. as in while ur d/l ure also u/l ? moot point really

Usenet is Client/Server so a one way street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

im n 50mb upc. modem is epc3925. i get around 3mb download speeds on utorrent. i aint complaining or anything but i know it could be better. any tips on how to improve my average speeds?

i know that some torrents are slow and i know some are fast but i know my wifi can handle more

what kinda wireless card..? b/g/n? if its b/g ure probably maxed out.. if its n u could squeeze out a bit more but not a whole load...

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

Hi guys I have 2 questions

I just got into downloading and have used bitlord which seems to work ok as I downloaded stuff and watched it on my pc.
    Is bitlord ok or is there a better way of doing it?

Another problem I have is that the file I downloaded was an mkv file and wont play on my dvd player or playstation. What type of file should I download in order to watch it via dvd or playstation? What I want to do is put things on a usb and put them into a playstation so I can watch movies on tv.

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Of course a torrent will max your connection. You just need to be on a private tracker that use's seedboxes.

^^This

and proof...

15s95pe.png

normally tops out at 18.6MBps but I was impatient!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Dont know whats going on with my connection the past 2 days, my downloads on utrorrent are just no going like they should. Nothing has changed in my setup and I used to get MB+ speeds but now im hovering around the 100kB/s mark. Anyone care to hazard a guess whats gone wrong? Or where to even start troubleshooting.

Utorrent-latest
    Gigabit LAN
    UPC 100mb
    UPC modem in bridge mode to my router.
    Windows

Edit: Steam is fine :confused:

Hi guys I have 2 questions

I just got into downloading and have used bitlord which seems to work ok as I downloaded stuff and watched it on my pc.
    Is bitlord ok or is there a better way of doing it?

Another problem I have is that the file I downloaded was an mkv file and wont play on my dvd player or playstation. What type of file should I download in order to watch it via dvd or playstation? What I want to do is put things on a usb and put them into a playstation so I can watch movies on tv.

the PS3 can sometimes block some d/l vids..(cineva warnings come up)....

if u can run an external display from ur laptop/pc and run it to ur tv ... or my tv has a usb port and that plays most files..
    I ended up buying a media player thats connected to the tv , thats where i watch most of my stuff

Ive never used bitlord(so i have no opinion on it) , i use utorrent .. seems good enough despite recent changes

the ps3 can run http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/video/filetypes.html

these files but as i said not all files will play due to anti piracy

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Use freemake video convertor to change it from mkv to avi or mp4.

Regarding the latest version of uTorrent,I hated it & went back to using an old version instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

How can I tell that im getting the maximum speed from my broadband when using utorrent?

• Advertisement

How can I tell that im getting the maximum speed from my broadband when using utorrent?

Check that the download speed shown in utorrent matches the download speed you pay for.
    The torrents need to be well seeded/seeded from fast connections to allow you to max out your connection.

Advertisement