Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I had to Google Bradley Wiggins name to finds out who he was, so that says it all!

It says it all but not the way you think.

This time last year Wiggins was in the same position as Murray. He won Tour De France and then beat all in front of him at the Olympics. He was the hero of Britain and all the celebrities were looking for a piece of him or some means of associating themselves with him.

Next year England will be at the World Cup and Jack Wilshere will be the best, or Jessica Ennis will clean up at World Championships. Its flavor of the month stuff.

I've never fully watched a cycling event on TV, let alone raced myself but I have to say: If you had to Google Bradley Wiggins I don't think you're in a position to state who the best British sportsperson is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well compared to a year ago Murray did look stronger and fitter

• Registered Users Posts: 55,049 ✭✭✭✭walshb

fryup wrote: »
    well compared to a year ago Murray did look stronger and fitter

He is. He is now very very close to his absolute physical best. Probably at it. Can he maintain it for a few years? That's the question. Will he win more slams? Maybe. Has the talent, but the competitiveness between the top ten is immense. On any day any one of them can win matches and create "upsets." Look at Murray in the QF, Nadal and Fed, and even Novak in the semis. These top 4 are no way invincible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 147 ✭✭Speisekarte

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    OK, I am not agreeing that Murray is the greatest British sportsperson of the last decade, but comparing Murray to Hewitt and Safin is a pile of monkey crap. Hewitt and Safin were in the era in between Sampras-Agassi and Federrer, whereas Murray has been in an era where the top 4 players are just incredible. Murray's 2 grand slams are worth a lot more than Hewitt's and Safin's.

Hewitt and Safin both beat Sampras in the US Open final, Marat Safin also beat Federer in the 2005 Australian open semi and went on to win it. I think you are underestimating how good they were at their peak. Murray will easily eclipse them IMO eventually and win 5-6 slams but for now he's not too far ahead of them in the history books.

Hewitt and Safin both beat Sampras in the US Open final, Marat Safin also beat Federer in the 2005 Australian open semi and went on to win it. I think you are underestimating how good they were at their peak. Murray will easily eclipse them IMO eventually and win 5-6 slams but for now he's not too far ahead of them in the history books.

Not sure Hewiit ever won his home slam!

Sorry; you mentioned Safin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

So we are all agreed that Murray is the toast of the nation! Fantastic!!! Alba Gu Brath!

It says it all but not the way you think.

This time last year Wiggins was in the same position as Murray. He won Tour De France and then beat all in front of him at the Olympics. He was the hero of Britain and all the celebrities were looking for a piece of him or some means of associating themselves with him.

Next year England will be at the World Cup and Jack Wilshere will be the best, or Jessica Ennis will clean up at World Championships. Its flavor of the month stuff.

I've never fully watched a cycling event on TV, let alone raced myself but I have to say: If you had to Google Bradley Wiggins I don't think you're in a position to state who the best British sportsperson is.

The thing with Tennis is that its on a lot, so every couple of months we will be witnessing the heroic endeavors of our hero Mr Murray. It wont just be a flash in the pan, glory story for a week or so. The spotlight wont have a chance to dim, it will shine bright and beautiful all night long!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The thing with Tennis is that its on a lot, so every couple of months we will be witnessing the heroic endeavors of our hero Mr Murray. It wont just be a flash in the pan, glory story for a week or so. The spotlight wont have a chance to dim, it will shine bright and beautiful all night long!

It's on for two weeks a year during Wimbledon, and then a couple of other footnotes in sports bulletins through the rest of the year after some match played at stupid'o'clock on the other side of the world.

About the same as the cycling which is on for two weeks a year during the tour, then the occasional foot note in a sports bulletin when Cavendish wins a stage of the tour of somewhere or other.

There is other coverage out there if you go looking on the red button for it, but most of the time tennis is nowhere to be seen.

robinph wrote: »
    It's on for two weeks a year during Wimbledon, and then a couple of other footnotes in sports bulletins through the rest of the year after some match played at stupid'o'clock on the other side of the world.

About the same as the cycling which is on for two weeks a year during the tour, then the occasional foot note in a sports bulletin when Cavendish wins a stage of the tour of somewhere or other.

There is other coverage out there if you go looking on the red button for it, but most of the time tennis is nowhere to be seen.

Do you not have Sky Sports or the BBC channels? Because Ive been able to watch all of the events, Masters, Grand Slams.

I stay up to watch all of Murrays matches, regardless of the time he is playing. Why? Because he is a hero, and his journey is incredible to watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I'm a fan of Murray but I think you're in too deep to see the big picture. Leigh Halfpenny isn't a flash in the pan but people aren't talking about him in the same context. Rory McIlroy has two majors in his field - golf fans could possibly make the same argument as you.

Murray certainly deserves all the praise he is getting, along with any honours the Queen decides to give him - but greatest British Sportsman of all time? He has a bit to go but certainly not impossible in the future. To say the 'Greatest British Sportsperson of all time' has two majors in his sport when there are 3 other active players with a lot more - sounds strange.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Do you not have Sky Sports or the BBC channels? Because Ive been able to watch all of the events, Masters, Grand Slams.

I stay up to watch all of Murrays matches, regardless of the time he is playing. Why? Because he is a hero, and his journey is incredible to watch!

That's the point.

There are only a handful of events in any sport that get this kind of full time blanket coverage that you can't avoid. Wimbledon is one of them, but outside of that you have to already care enough about the sport to go and find it.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

mdwexford wrote: »
    First ever trip to this forum just to see what was being said after today, god the last two pages have been painful reading.

Is there normally this many tools posting rubbish?

Nope. I expect they will disappear now Wimbledon, or "the tennis" has ended for another year :)

robinph wrote: »
    That's the point.

There are only a handful of events in any sport that get this kind of full time blanket coverage that you can't avoid. Wimbledon is one of them, but outside of that you have to already care enough about the sport to go and find it.

There is an element of truth in that. A strong element. However out of a lot of sports, Tennis actually translates to the TV well. Mountain biking, even the Downhill event isnt that exciting to watch, even though if you were there it would be sensational. Rowing....zzzzzzzzzz boring. It really takes great commentary to build up any excitement.

Tennis is much easier to get into as a kid, its a fun healthy game, its also relatively safe for kids to play, and Andy's performance will have a knock on effect on the uptake of the sport. The result of that is much more chance of another champion to succeed Murray when he becomes to old.

I wonder how much more activity there is at Boxing clubs after Katy Taylors result in the Olympics, anyone know? That is a sport that a lot of people wouldnt want to send their children to, but I bet there has been a huge surge of interest as everyone wants to emulate their heroine.

The result of that is much more chance of another champion to succeed Murray when he becomes to old.

You actually have to have all the stuff in place beforehand in order to possibly get any return from having a champion. Just having someone win Wimbledon does not mean you get a bunch of excellent players coming through the ranks a few years later, if it did then we'd now be overwhelmed with Swiss players by now. Murray had to go to Spain to get the training he needed, any kid now coming through would most likely still have to do the same.

Britain has got good at cycling and rowing because they dedicated the money towards it, not because Bradley Wiggins and Steve Redgrave won a couple of medals. They are the product of the money being spent in advance. It's nice to think that the win will generate future champions but it doesn't unless the money has already been spent on the facilities.

I wonder how much more activity there is at Boxing clubs after Katy Taylors result in the Olympics, anyone know? That is a sport that a lot of people wouldnt want to send their children to, but I bet there has been a huge surge of interest as everyone wants to emulate their heroine.

Indeed. And considering the Irish team came back from European tournaments last week with a record 15 medals really cements this. Didn't even make the headlines. Unreal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

walshb wrote: »
    Indeed. And considering the Irish team came back from European tournaments last week with a record 15 medals really cements this. Didn't even make the headlines. Unreal.

Amateur Europeans - Boxing's B Division gets way too much attention when it's the "premier league" proffessionals that deserve the credit.

True, but the mere fact we have a current champion will be enough to get kids started. With the success of Murray, belief in Britains ability has been restored, therefore the chances of more funding is more likely and that will hopefully mean that kids dont have to leave Britain to avail of great training facilities.

But hey, what a spectacle, what a joy and a wonder it was to witness Andy raising the Wimbledon trophy on a glorious hot summers day at SW19. With all the doom and gloom on this planet being shown on zillions of news feeds online, what a great moment of escapism it was to see the finer side of life.

UPDATE : 17.3 million viewers watched the third set! Thats the most watched program on TV in 2013 in GB. It also eclipsed every sporting even in the entire Olympics last year, excluding the 100m sprint.

I just think its fantastic when any kind of sporting even brings people together, to celebrate and rejoice and make people feel proud. It gives hope for humanity! Alex Salmond waving the Scotland flag behind David Cameron at the end was priceless!

cameron-andy-murra_2611352b-460x288.jpg

walshb wrote: »
    The poster said this decade.

Yep to be fair your right. Mea culpa. Firstly Murray is an inspirational guy to achieve in his career what he has given the trauma he has had to live with from that horrific day in his school.
    But even in terms of this decade, while Murray is up there i just think the poster is getting carried away. This decade is not even half way through Murray may well go on to win more but he has had his bad days as well as his good days. Mo Farah for me would be better and even though triathlon is not mainstream enough for some i think the Brownlee's dominance of the sport cannot be ignored. Bradley Wiggins has won lTdF and Olympic Gold the last year....alot of great sportsmen AND women so it would be very flippant to award the person of the decade just yet.

Alex Salmond waving the Scotland flag behind David Cameron at the end was priceless!

There were snipers across the other side of the court who took him down seconds after that picture. :D Bit cheeky for him to do that and he clearly knew the political chance that was presented to him with getting the seat behind Cameron.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

he wins an Olympic medal and 2 grand slams and he's suddenly the best british sportsperson of the decade
    How many has he lost in the decade too?

:pac:

The british had far more successful athletes in the Olmypics alone than murray has had in his whole career.

• Advertisement

garv123 wrote: »
    he wins an Olympic medal and 2 grand slams and he's suddenly the best british sportsperson of the decade
    How many has he lost in the decade too?

:pac:

The british had far more successful athletes in the Olmypics alone than murray has had in his whole career.

You dont have to win everything to be a great sportsman. Do you think Im basing my view solely on 3 results? In fact it was actually losing at Wimbledon last year which really brought him closer to the haters, that made him much more lovable.

If you wish to think the same way, look at the way Ireland went over Katy Taylors Olympic performance! Small kids, little girls shaking their fists in the air, pretending to knock someone out like Katy......great role model! My opinion is skewed though, I hate boxing, I think its a disgusting sport, in fact I dont like any barbarian monkey sports, really shows up mankind and how little we truly have evolved. Its only really our science which has evolved, and we hide our barbaric notions a bit more these days.

Ive already mentioned my opinion on those very small sports, that pretty much nobody competes in. So at least read the thread before posting up stuff which has already been addressed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

OK, I am not agreeing that Murray is the greatest British sportsperson of the last decade, but comparing Murray to Hewitt and Safin is a pile of monkey crap. Hewitt and Safin were in the era in between Sampras-Agassi and Federrer, whereas Murray has been in an era where the top 4 players are just incredible. Murray's 2 grand slams are worth a lot more than Hewitt's and Safin's.

The things is Murray hasn't done it when the top 4 have been incredible.

Nadal is a crock and Federer is on his way out.

Murray did this when Nadal is injury prone and Federer is coming to the end.

The things is Murray hasn't done it when the top 4 have been incredible.

Nadal is a crock and Federer is on his way out.

Murray did this when Nadal is injury prone and Federer is coming to the end.

Youre right, Murray is rubbish. Djokovic is not a worthy opponent.....

Yeah because that's exactly what I said. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

He has declined significantly from his level of 2011 in fairness... still all you can do is beat what's put in front of you and Murray has snuck in for his couple of majors just like several others over the years... well done Murray!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

This is a thread about Wimbledon. Please stay on-topic!

What happens Wimbledon now? I'm sure there's members? Would all courts be busy every day?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

What happens Wimbledon now? I'm sure there's members? Would all courts be busy every day?
    Center Court and Court 1 are only used for the tournament. The rest are used during the rest of the year.

Center Court and Court 1 are only used for the tournament. The rest are used during the rest of the year.

What are them 2 courts for so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

What are them 2 courts for so?
    They are literally just for The Championships and some exhibition matches between the top players. They are just kept pristine until the tournament starts over.

Advertisement