Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&I Lions v Wallabies, Match Thread, Sat June 22, 1105am

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Dan Lydiate
    Rightwing wrote: »
    I don't think it ever was, along with Sexton & POC he was probably first on the teamsheet.

Perusing the forum you will see Kearney, Hogg, Maitland & Zebo all listed at various stages as starting at 15, albeit with some posters (but definitely not all) moving HP to wing.

However, I would agree with you that HPs place in the starting 15, and at fullback, was never in any doubt. I can't think of a more consistent player in world rugby over these last 12 months or so. He just doesn't make poor decisions, and has demonstrated his attacking prowess with a couple of well-taken tries during this tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Wonder how much Warburton had to do with Lydiates selection. He has said how much he loves having his wingman on the pitch. Maybe Lydiates injury affected his form this year? Anyhow it is likely Gatland sounded out his Captain especially if it was as tight a call as it looked. It's also possbile Gatland likes how the combination of the two plays at the breakdown (experience together plus contrasting styles) - greater than the sum of their parts?

Whilst I'm not sure how much relevance it would have, I'd be almost certain that Gatland would sound out Warburton ahead of selection for his thoughts. It has happened on previous tours and I'm sure it continues. Ollie Smith toured in 2005 on the say so of BOD. I don't think it's any coincidence that Quinlan was a shock call up in 2009 when POC was captain either.

I would say Warburton had a chat with coaching staff and gave his opinions before they closed the doors and sat down to pick the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Wallabies by more than 7
    Hard to call tomorrows game with so many unknowns in the Wallaby team. And of course the Lions. But the Lions will play in positions mostly where the Aussies expect them to.
    But Australia?? Barnes is a 10 named @ 15, O’Connor is 14/15 named @ 10 and Folau is 14 named @15. (although he did play wing in league). Expect some interchanging of positions amongst those three. And Beale to come off the bench @10, 14 or 15?
    Id imagine Gatland et all are also scratching their heads.
    Lions to win it. 21 v 25. World class at outhalf. Australia don’t have anybody near Sextons level (Quade anybody!?). And a kicking machine in Halfpenny.
    Cant wait now! B'OD MOM!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Wallabies by more than 7
    Perusing the forum you will see Kearney, Hogg, Maitland & Zebo all listed at various stages as starting at 15, albeit with some posters (but definitely not all) moving HP to wing.

However, I would agree with you that HPs place in the starting 15, and at fullback, was never in any doubt. I can't think of a more consistent player in world rugby over these last 12 months or so. He just doesn't make poor decisions, and has demonstrated his attacking prowess with a couple of well-taken tries during this tour.

Ah that's a bit disingenuous. From what I saw the only posters advocating HP not to start at 15 was when North and Bowe looked like they were unfit, so it'd be less risky to have HP shore up the wing rather than having him at FB and putting Zebo or Maitland on the wing.

That was my understanding of it anyway. Nobody wanted HP not to start.

Dan Lydiate
    .ak wrote: »
    Ah that's a bit disingenuous. From what I saw the only posters advocating HP not to start at 15 was when North and Bowe looked like they were unfit, so it'd be less risky to have HP shore up the wing rather than having him at FB and putting Zebo or Maitland on the wing.

That was my understanding of it anyway. Nobody wanted HP not to start.

Do I trawl the forum to prove my case? No - life is short and time is precious, so I'll take your word for it .ak!

• Advertisement

Wallabies by more than 7
    Do I trawl the forum to prove my case? No - life is short and time is precious, so I'll take your word for it .ak!

You also promised to buy me a beer.

Dan Lydiate
    You also promised to buy me a beer.

I only have 61 posts to my name (62 including this one), so it shouldn't take too long to see if you're right! But if that Woolshed thing goes ahead, then yes I'll buy you a beer! One of those nice craft ones, a bit of class.

Wallabies by more than 7
    I'm going to change my avatar to the first Lions player who scores a try...

... unless they don't score any tries, then I suppose I'll choose a pic of Halfpenny's boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Wallabies by more than 7

... unless they don't score any tries, then I suppose I'll choose a pic of Halfpenny's boot.

What if Justin Beiber (JOC) scores the only try of the game.....

I know he ain't a Lion BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

In fairness a lot of that would have been before his outrageous kicking form on this tour (I always had him at 15 for what it's worth). He's always been a good kicker but not as metronomic as he has been lately. I don't think he even has kicking duties depending on the 10 at Caridff? I'm a bit sketchy on that one but I remember a Welshie claiming that at some point. Only time I saw him live he missed 2 kicks out of 4 or 5 anyway, so up until recently his kicking wouldn't have been cause to have him as an automatic choice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Go Dan Lydiate!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Beanmonkey

But Australia?? Barnes is a 10 named @ 15, O’Connor is 14/15 named @ 10 and Folau is 14 named @15. (although he did play wing in league). Expect some interchanging of positions amongst those three. And Beale to come off the bench @10, 14 or 15?

May be a scrap in the changing room over the 15 shirt ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Wallabies by more than 7
    Beanmonkey wrote: »
    May be a scrap in the changing room over the 15 shirt ;)

Well there is no Cooper(s) in the room so Beale should be safe.

He so far stands at fighting

- Quade Cooper

- Copper Vuna

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Wallabies by more than 7
    What channel will this be on guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

What channel will this be on guys?

Sky Sports 1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Is it on Telly at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

Wallabies by more than 7
    PopTarts wrote: »
    Is it on Telly at all?

Not normal tv. Sky Sports only so if you don't have it you're best off looking for a decent stream or going to a pub. I'm based in Galway and I know a few places are opening up early for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭runman

Lions by less than 7
    With all the talk of falou and his ability I bet he has a meltdown tomorrow and George north messes him up!!

I'm excited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

I hope it's a spectacle, whatever the outcome

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hype101

Somebody may have mentioned this earlier but what happens if Sam Warburton gets injured after 10 mins, or just isn't up to it.. Will Jamie Heaslip be playing openside?, with Tom Croft at 8, against the best groundhog team in the world.. It's madness, the balance is all off!.. You can't accommodate Lydiate and Croft in the same 22 .. Even if it wasn't going to be O'Brien, surely Faleteau or Tipuric would have been the way to go.. If they were determined to have Lydiate on the bench would they not maybe have been better of having no second row sub and moving Croft to the row if forced?.. Atleast that would give more backrow options

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Dan Lydiate
    I hope it's a spectacle, whatever the outcome

jesus that's a name and a half :D

duckysauce wrote: »
    jesus that's a name and a half :D

just incredible ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

just incredible ;)

Yeah wed understand if it was john Hayes spacecraft experience but ugo monye doesn't have the same wow effect

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Wallabies by more than 7
    leftleg wrote: »
    Yeah wed understand if it was john Hayes spacecraft experience but ugo monye doesn't have the same wow effect

I like it....I approve :cool:

It's a very hard game to call really. On one hand Australia look a lot stronger than they did this time last year, but they aren't in the same league physically as the Boks four years ago while this touring party seems to be a better one that ran that side close

Lions to edge this test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Dan Lydiate
    It's a very hard game to call really. On one hand Australia look a lot stronger than they did this time last year, but they aren't in the same league physically as the Boks four years ago while this touring party seems to be a better one that ran that side close

Lions to edge this test

ah come on --re reg and no score ??

need the margin

duckysauce wrote: »
    ah come on --re reg and no score ??

need the margin

If I was pushed to predict a score it would be 6 points via the metronomic boot of one Leigh Halfpenny

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Are Australia not a big price at almost 2/1, or 11/10 with a 3 point head start? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,766 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Wallabies by more than 7
    So do people think it's a good thing or a bad thing that Australia haven't played since November?

On the one hand they haven't been able to test their combinations in a competitive match situation so that's a positive for us.

On the other hand they could well have ripped their playbook up in November and come up with something entirely new this year and we won't have a clue what to expect tomorrow.

Then again there would be risk in that for Australia too, they could have a whole new set of moves but they won't have tried them in a competitive environment so it could go pear shaped for them.

Hard one to call really!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm thinking a good thing.

It may have been 3 weeks since most of them played but that was SuperXV round 16 so I'm guessing most of the Aussie players have played at least 10-12 games already this season. So physically they will be in good shape and tuned in but could do with a week off from high intensity games. Compare that with the Irish players who usually only start to come back a game or two before the first HEC game and so by the first November Test match will only have played maybe 4 or 5 games that season.

Also they're going to be playing 3 tests on 3 consecutive weekends which will be tough enough, trying to add in another game during the break could end up counter productive by the time they reach the third test.

Advertisement