Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&I Lions v Wallabies, Match Thread, Sat June 22, 1105am

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Wallabies by more than 7
    danthefan wrote: »
    You're obviously too clever for me because I have no idea what you mean. But anyway, shame if he's gone.

Maybe a Re-Reg in the future, dropping the nationality part might help as in the Kiwi part, sometime wish I had chosen something different myself to be honest, maybe go for gap_tooth_paddy next time:pac:

Save on the judgements....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

19543261 wrote: »
    Where are Swiwi and JustinDee? In time-out?

GerM is another i havent seen on here in ages, knew his rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

bamboozle wrote: »
    GerM is another i havent seen on here in ages, knew his rugby.

He closed his account. Was the best poster on here by far when it came to rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Wallabies by more than 7
    The Aussie wrote: »
    Well I'm the most unsure Australian in the room, just can't see our tight 5 going forward, you can't give away the set pieces and expect to win, won't be a hiding but can't see an Australian victory in the first test.

JOC could turn it for us as really is a unknown, I would not be surprised if he gets shifted mid game or for certain plays.

I was reading an article from a few 'experts', and they've been hugely impressed with what they've seen from the aussies in training. You would expect the Lions to have the benefit of playing matches, but regardless, can't wait for it! It will be tight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Dan Lydiate
    He closed his account. Was the best poster on here by far when it came to rugby.

Not forgetting yourself danthefan, if I might say so. Even if there is a touch of the Leinster about your views at times.

• Advertisement

Dan Lydiate
    sydthebeat wrote: »
    A touch of a phoenix I think ;)

WTH does that mean? Even for a fox, that is too cunning for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Wallabies by more than 7
    Not forgetting yourself danthefan, if I might say so. Even if there is a touch of the Leinster about your views at times.

And nothing wrong with a fan wearing his heart on the sleeve.

Dan Lydiate
    Rightwing wrote: »
    And nothing wrong with a fan wearing his heart on the sleeve.

Not at all. So long as one doesn't use the sleeve to wipe another man's brow. And I am not implying this is the case with Dan, by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Wallabies by more than 7
    Okay, enough about brows, foxes, Phoenixes, re-regs and George Clinton. Back on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

The Lions kicking game will be interesting, you do not want to be kicking it away to Barnes, Ioane and Folau in space. Chasers will have to come up in a line otherwise they will be picked off by Ioane and Folau.

Will be interesting to see who the Lions target in the Aussie backline.

• Advertisement

Dan Lydiate
    One tactic I fully expect is an early wide up-and-under on the Lions goal-line for Folau to chase, akin to Lote Tuqiri in the '03 RWC final. He has scored at least 1 peach of a try for the Waratahs this year in that manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,899 ✭✭✭✭JRant

One tactic I fully expect is an early wide up-and-under on the Lions goal-line for Folau to chase, akin to Lote Tuqiri in the '03 RWC final. He has scored at least 1 peach of a try for the Waratahs this year in that manner.

Widely used tactic in the 13 man version of the game and Folau is one of the best at it. I remember he scored an outrageous try in a state of origin game a couple of seasons ago. Caught the ball while nearly upside-down and still managed to place it in goal, crazy skillz.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

Lions by less than 7
    Wallabies are going to kick the ball at George North all night. Folau is an animal in the air and top try scorer in the super 15. Very dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

While North has been good going forward so far on this tour he really hasn't been tested that much in defense and It's a real weakness of his game (rabo semi final anyone?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

Lions by less than 7
    trouttrout wrote: »
    While North has been good going forward so far on this tour he really hasn't been tested that much in defense and It's a real weakness of his game (rabo semi final anyone?)

Yeah he is a massive unit but with someone who steps like Folau, its a huge danger area. One of the lads was sitting right by the touchline in a super15 game, rebels vs waratahs. He said he has never seen a man accelerate as fast as folau.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ah yeah but that's the Scarlets George North. I'm pretty sure this guy is completely different person!

I am worried about him being isolated under a high ball myself, not so much in open play defense. But I think the Aussies are going to have to work very hard to get possession and even harder to get it in dangerous areas, if they try a couple of kicks and don't keep possession they might have to give up on that approach very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Wallabies by more than 7
    When we have possession, we'll be grand, and that would seem to be the gameplan. The likes of North, Cuthbert and Davies are very hard to stop and with BOD and Sexton hopefully weaving some magic, we'll be able to get them running good lines through the Australian defence.

The chosen pack should give us an upper hand in the set-piece, both scrum and lineout. And with the players on the field, we should control the majority of the possession.

Ireland themselves showed how weak some of those players can be when we beat Wales, we didn't really let them have possession and caused huge amounts of problems, got a huge lead. They bounced back brilliantly, but Cuthbert and North both have defensive weaknesses, not sure about Davies really.....Halfpenny is generally very solid. I'm hoping we can either bully them at the breakdown, or target JOC and hope he has a poor day, because if they get their backline moving, they could cause huge problems for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Wallabies by more than 7

Why?

Dan Lydiate
    It is one thing not to have SOB on the bench, but it is another not to really have openside cover at all. Michael Hooper is a fantastic 7, as is his replacement Liam Gill. It's quite a gamble by WG. If Warburton goes off, or gets tired, is Lydiate a 7? If WG didn't rate SOB, I would have thought Tipuric at least should have made the bench. The Aussie teams have all been very good at the breakdown during this year's SXV, much to the chagrin of some of the NZ teams.

It is one thing not to have SOB on the bench, but it is another not to really have openside cover at all. Michael Hooper is a fantastic 7, as is his replacement Liam Gill. It's quite a gamble by WG. If Warburton goes off, or gets tired, is Lydiate a 7? If WG didn't rate SOB, I would have thought Tipuric at least should have made the bench. The Aussie teams have all been very good at the breakdown during this year's SXV, much to the chagrin of some of the NZ teams.

Players like Lydiate and Warburton, whether playing openside or blindside off the back off the back of the scrum, are much more important in countering those open sides than having someone like Tipuric would be. It is precisely guys like Hooper and Gill that necessitate the Lions picking guys like Warburton and Lydiate.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Bogota

Hes still much stronger than the likes of Maitland, Zebo and Wade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

Wallabies by less than 7
    Wallabies by more than 7. I've a bad feeling about the game. Heres hoping I'm wrong though!

Bogota wrote: »
    Hes still much stronger than the likes of Maitland, Zebo and Wade.

Well obviously, he's an absolute beast. I think all round Zebo is a better defender though, better in the air and a better positional sense. Neither are perfect in defense by any means though. In fact bar Bowe, there isn't a winger in the touring party that you would call a very good defender

Well obviously, he's an absolute beast. I think all round Zebo is a better defender though, better in the air and a better positional sense.

Of course you do. Zebo is better in the air and that's where it ends. North is much stronger defensively overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Having thought about it, I think we'll see the Lions pinch this one by less than 10. Even with the expansive selections on display, these games are generally fairly tight and I cannot see either side cutting loose at any point.

The Lions side has been selected to play extremely structured, pragmatic and effective rugby. BOD, Sexton and Croft are in there to provide any spark that may come. The rest of the side is picked for its ability to win the set piece, get over the gain line, ruck and tackle hard and kick goals.

In Jones and Corbisiero, they've the two best scrummagers available to them, bolstered by the bulk of AWJ behind them. I'll be surprised if the Lions manage to gain any significant advantage in this area though. Australia have gone for massive bulk in their front five and Ben and Benn are no slouches when it comes to packing down. Horwill and Douglas are monsters though so any secondary shoves should be repelled.

For the bulk in their scrum though, they're going to give up some of their movement and agility in the line out. Kane Douglas is a man mountain. Whilst he's plenty tall, he's also plenty heavy. Along with Horwill, they're definitely gone for power ahead of agility in these ranks given their respective weights of 121kg and 118kg. Paul O'Connell and Tom Croft will look to terrorise them on their own ball. Question marks have to remain over the Lions own line out though. Tom Youngs has looked good but he has struggled in the past with his throwing significantly. There's always the nagging uncertainty than those issues could arise again.

If Youngs can find his jumpers, it's the Lions game to lose. The nature of the line out gives the Lions backs (and whatever forwards they chose to put in midfield) a minimum of 20m of a gap between themselves and the defensive line. They will look for clean ball off the top and spin it out as quickly as possible to launch George North at a gallop in off his wing. They've already used the tactic repeatedly with the likes of Roberts in the warm ups and it will be used again. Once this Lions team can get on the front foot with quick ball, someone like Phillips will make life awful for the Wallabies or Sexton varying the point of attack with his runners offering options on both sides and Davies coming back in against the angle on short ball.

I can see Australia having to infringe to stem the tide if the Lions set piece starts to work smoothly and then Leigh Halfpenny takes over. I don't think I can recall a kicker going into a test series in better form; he has nailed 22/23 kicks on this tour.

Not convinced the Lions will win the test series but the opening game should be theirs, I reckon.

Of course you do. Zebo is better in the air and that's where it ends. North is much stronger defensively overall.

Do you have to bring this **** into every conversation?

And no it's not where it ends, North is not a very good one on one tackler, did you see the Rabo semi where Tommy Bowe went passed him and North made little or no attempt to tackle

Anyway you seem to be resorting to petty little digs already so I'll leave it there

Do you have to bring this **** into every conversation?

And no it's not where it ends, North is not a very good one on one tackler, did you see the Rabo semi where Tommy Bowe went passed him and North made little or no attempt to tackle

Anyway you seem to be resorting to petty little digs already so I'll leave it there

So you're judging North on a one-off incident? What about this?

Players will miss tackles once in awhile, it happens. But anyone watching both players over a full season will know that North is much better than Zebo at wrapping up players, shutting down opposition attacks and driving players back. He is invaluable to any defensive line.

So you're judging North on a one-off incident? What about this?

Players will miss tackles once in awhile, it happens. But anyone watching both players over a full season will know that North is much better than Zebo at wrapping up players, shutting down opposition attacks and driving players back. He is invaluable to any defensive line.

I wasn't basing it on one incident, I was using it as an example. And it's an example far more relevant to the conversation considering how much Zebo has improved as a player since that match

And North is certainly not invaluable to a defensive line, he's simply not a brilliant defender by any means, and neither is Zebo. But Zebo's positional play in a back three unit and his ability under a high ball edge him in defense for me

My original point btw, for anyone wondering, had nothing to do with Zebo, I was highlighting that North hasn't really been tested in defense on this tour and it's something the Australians will try to do ala Cuthbert vs the Reds

I wasn't basing it on one incident, I was using it as an example. And it's an example far more relevant to the conversation considering how much Zebo has improved as a player since that match

And North is certainly not invaluable to a defensive line, he's simply not a brilliant defender by any means, and neither is Zebo. But Zebo's positional play in a back three unit and his ability under a high ball edge him in defense for me
    Are there any examples of defending like that from North when playing for someone other than the Scarlets?

• Advertisement

Are there any examples of defending like that from North when playing for someone other than the Scarlets?

Are there examples of Zebo defending like that since that game?

Advertisement