Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&I Lions v Wallabies, Match Thread, Sat June 22, 1105am

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭corny

Dan Lydiate
    Australia by more than 7. Their backs will ensure they score more than we do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Bogota

People forgot that on the last Lions tour there were similar questions about POC's place in the starting team. Hopefully Warburton can get up to speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

North up against Folau will be some contest.

I thought O'Connor could cost Australia the series but have changed my mind. The presence of Lealiifano and Barnes will help him, as they can both step into the 10 channel. Also if it does not work, they have 3 players that can go to 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Buer wrote: »
    I do think there's an element of schadenfreude regarding Warburton. People generally want him to have a belter but there's a definite element, I think, that is waiting for him to screw up and hit "Submit" on their pre-typed "I told you so" post.

Ah whatever happens there is someone who said it would, that's the nature of these forums. If we lose people would say we should have started Vunipola instead of Corbs, or that we should have had Lydiate/SOB ahead of Croft, Faletau ahead of Heaslip etc. The only players maybe exempt are Halfpenny, BOD, Sexton, North and POC. Where there are close selection decisions this will always happen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    North up against Folau will be some contest.

I thought O'Connor could cost Australia the series but have changed my mind. The presence of Lealiifano and Barnes will help him, as they can both step into the 10 channel. Also if it does not work, they have 3 players that can go to 10.

I'd expect a few high balls down North's wing. I'll never forget Nacewa comfortably out jumping him to score for Leinster against Scarlets earlier this year and this Folau fella is supposed to be a demon in the air, that would be a big worry

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Wallabies by more than 7
    GiftofGab wrote: »
    Just looking at their wingers. They really are big and powerful. They're lacking a bit of agility thou. Both love to get their hands on the ball. Ioane could do with more tries. He's been involved in alot of play this season but I reckon he needs more tries for the way he was playing. AAC has been hot and cold all season. Some games he's been brilliant, some games he just faded. I'm not convinced with JOC at outhalf. He's wasted there. He's not a 10. He takes the ball too much into direct contact rather than use the players outside him and control the game. He's offloading ability is top class.

The Lions will certainly target their scrum. Have to say if Pockock and higginbotham were fit, I would have backed Oz for the first test. Oz biggest weakness is their lack of depth. By the 3rd test, I would expect too many battered bodies to put up a decent fight.

People seem to forget the Oz have an unbelievable record at Suncorp stadium. It's an extremely difficult place to come away with a win. Great tactics for ARFU to hold the 1st game there.

Didn't I read somewhere that the lions never lost a game there? Something has to give.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭runman

Lions by less than 7
    My prediction Lions by 7+

1. Lions set piece wins out scrum and line out

2. JS Vs JOC... James o connor takes too much ball into contact, causing turnovers. He then tries to make up for it by offloading/passing in dangerous areas causing even more trouble... Sexton makes all the correct decisions kicks passes and runs when required.

3. 1/2p vs whatevever kicker Oz choose... 1/2p wins

4. Back row battle... 50/50 no winners or losers. Warburton does ok.

5. Wallabies go insane demanding the return of cooper afterwards.

6. Lydiate plays 20 mins, does fine and SOB doesnt make the bench for the second test

7. MOTM sexton

Cant wait for this test.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Wallabies by more than 7
    I do think there's an element of schadenfreude regarding Warburton. People generally want him to have a belter but there's a definite element, I think, that is waiting for him to screw up and hit "Submit" on their pre-typed "I told you so" post.

Maybe. But when the talent in the backrow is so good you really want to see the guys who've been performing so well over the past 3 months get their deserved spots. Warburton has been leap frogged ahead of his team mates in this case, and it's just plain not nice to see! Maybe that's sentimental but so be it.

Having said that, I really hope he does well, for the Lions sake and his own confidence, because when he performs he's a beast in the tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

jank wrote: »
    Didn't I read somewhere that the lions never lost a game there? Something has to give.

In fairness I think they have actually only played the one game there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Lions by less than 7
    I am rarely wrong and here are my predictions.

Lions will beat Australia comfortably with O'Connor at 10 being the main reason. Score 23-13.
    O'Driscoll to play well but get injured.
    Cuthbert to badly miss a tackle leading to an Aussie try
    Scrums to be messy but equally penalised. Lineouts to be dominated by Lions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Dan Lydiate
    In light of fraternal comments expressed on The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread, may I propose that those who so wish and will be watching the Test at home (because it would look fr*ck*ng weird in a pub) observe a minute's silence before kick-off for our fallen posters JustinDee, Swiwi and Fishooks 1-14. One might even go so far as to wear a black armband, although if this hot weather continues a shirt might be optional (once again not in the pub though), and an armband thus annoyingly sweaty and chafing to sensitive skin.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,103 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Wallabies by more than 7

The australians coughed up 13 turnovers in their 14-12 win last year....
    The way they play is high risk and will result in giving up some ball, so I expect warburton to make a real nuisance of himself and turn over some ball. In ways this game is set up for him and he should have a good game, all things considered.

However if he spends the day standing at the back of rucks and doesn't slow ball and disrupt..he will be rightly criticised

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Kanrith

Birroc wrote: »
    O'Driscoll to play well but get injured.

Why did you have to go and say that, you cursed him now. :(

Wallabies by more than 7
    Its not much of a leap...

Bod very always plays well...
    And lately he always gets injured ;)

100% commitment or nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Kanrith

It's strange, how when there is an Ireland match I'm normally not too worried about injuries, but when any Irish players get tackled in a lions match, always worried they won't get back up. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Dan Lydiate
    Kanrith wrote: »
    It's strange, how when there is an Ireland match I'm normally not too worried about injuries, but when any Irish players get tackled in a lions match, always worried they won't get back up. ;)

Yes, what Genia tackles God heals. Watch out for the Black Panther.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Wallabies by less than 7
    This Lions team seriously lacks powerful ball carriers in the pack, one of SOB or Vunipola really should be starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

i've gone from very confident of a 3 nil series win to hopeful cause of all the injuries, i cant see BOD last 3 tests, if Sexton gets injured we're goosed. Cuthburt will be targeted by the speed and agility of Iaone. Though oz should be undercooked for first test, hopefully Bowe and Roberts will be available for second which will add serious grunt to our backplay.

cant understand why the versatility of SOB and his impact off the bench has not seen him selected ahead of lydiate.

playing Croft sees us conceding some of our dominance up front as he hangs out wide and it also will see us taking on oz in a broken field game...which will surely suit them, i'd be much happier with lydiate starting and sob on the bench and proper tactics of outmuscling them upfront.

Finally, bringing 2 outhalves on tours was a bizarre decision, even with the subsequent injuries how Hook or Madigan have not been called up is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,829 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I think saying all Croft does is around on the wings is very unfair to be honest. A similiar accusation is thrown at Heaslip and it's just not true. You don't play week in week out for that Leicester team if you're only doing the fancy stuff.

I think it's a great achievement to come back from a career threatening injury and regain previous form. He took a knock to the head early in the tour and bounced back with a great display next time out.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Wallabies by more than 7
    Tom Croft is world class IMHO and fully deserves his place. He can break tackles and is in a rich vein of form recently including scoring tries. I do agree re SOB on the bench though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Closer we get the more nervous I'm getting. The Aussies have a serious backline and that pack is nowhere near as soft as we'd like to believe.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Looking at the team seems as Gattie is rolling the dice in some positions. The pack are lacking some serious messers that can get in among the Aussies and the bench I think is lacking in key positions.

We loose BOD and sexton and the game goes all up the creak

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Wallabies by less than 7
    Where are Swiwi and JustinDee? In time-out?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,732 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

One is banned and one closed his account

Ahhh what? Swiwi was a good poster. What happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Wallabies by more than 7
    The Lions should have the advantage in the scrum. Halfpenny will take his kicks and the 9 10 channel should be solid. After that the Lions have no huge strengths. I presumed they would play a tight game but selection of Croft indicates otherwise. Be worried the Lions will be outrucked and concede ball to counters if they play it loose. Davies at 12 will be interesting, hope he links well with ODriscoll. Wouldn't be surprised to see Barnes at 10 and JOC at 15 in a straight swap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Wallabies by more than 7
    Nukem wrote: »
    Looking at the team seems as Gattie is rolling the dice in some positions. The pack are lacking some serious messers that can get in among the Aussies and the bench I think is lacking in key positions.

We loose BOD and sexton and the game goes all up the creak

I think we've enough to beat the Aussies, but I'm not as confident as I was. Win by about 5 I think.

Wallabies by more than 7
    danthefan wrote: »
    Ahhh what? Swiwi was a good poster. What happened?

A touch of a phoenix I think ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Wallabies by more than 7
    Rightwing wrote: »
    I think we've enough to beat the Aussies, but I'm not as confident as I was. Win by about 5 I think.

Well I'm the most unsure Australian in the room, just can't see our tight 5 going forward, you can't give away the set pieces and expect to win, won't be a hiding but can't see an Australian victory in the first test.

JOC could turn it for us as really is a unknown, I would not be surprised if he gets shifted mid game or for certain plays.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    A touch of a phoenix I think ;)

You're obviously too clever for me because I have no idea what you mean. But anyway, shame if he's gone.

Advertisement