Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Spoilers inside!** Pokemon X and Pokemon Y - October 2013! :D

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

cloud493 wrote: »
    Except Dodrio. Dodrio should not be able to fly.

Why not? It has three heads, use two of them as wings :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

It does not have wings. Dodrio should not be able to fly. Sure what does it do, jump really high like.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

A bumblebee should not be able to fly. and yet it can.

Therefore, Dodrio's head is made of bees.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

It's a helicopter.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

comic188.png

CianRyan is correct :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Exactly. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

cloud493 wrote: »
    Except Dodrio. Dodrio should not be able to fly.

And yet it can, and scyther can't. Nintendo logic XD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/05/23/pokemon-x-and-pokemon-y-developer-discussion-scheduled-for-e3/
    There will be a 90 minute Q and A for X and Y around E3 (June 11th)

so.. fairy type it is then

"During the Nintendo Direct @ E3,a new Pokémon has been revealed with Fairy type featuring Sylveon, Jigglypuff, Gardevoir and Marill"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

so.. fairy type it is then

"During the Nintendo Direct @ E3,a new Pokémon has been revealed with Fairy type featuring Sylveon, Jigglypuff, Gardevoir and Marill"

:O

Gardevoir? Seems like an odd fit...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Wobbuffet

Two new Pokemon as well, Noivern and Vivillon

Better Gardevoir than Gallade though...

I knew it'd be about time they brought a type that's super effect against dragon! ..been waiting for that!

Noivern looks pretty cool, him & Goat covered in ivy are really good designs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

Probably safe to assume that both the new legends are Fairy type so.

I'll admit, it looks a lot cooler than it sounds :P

Not too fussed about fairy, after all, I've often used a butterfly in game so fairy isnt much different. Also makes more sense than normal. None of them are normal :pac:

I hope X&Y is the last of the new legendaries. There are so many now that they lose meaning. Has to be at least 20 or 30 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

Every region has their own. It makes sense; every culture has their own myths, and you're visiting different cultures, so they'd have their own.

Things that make sense culturally do not always make for good game mechanics. That's why there are so few Kabuki based shoot em ups.

When you can fill a whole box with super rare legends, when the super rare becomes commonplace - even tiresome - then their whole reason for being is no longer valid. And that's before you factor in formes. And the fact that you can basically tame God and teach him rock climbing.

Urizen wrote: »
    Every region has their own. It makes sense; every culture has their own myths, and you're visiting different cultures, so they'd have their own.
    In that case, each region should have had only the one or two, instead of the five or six they actually have. Mewtwo used to be a big deal. He was the ultimate Pokemon. Now, he's not so special anymore.

It's easy to see how it happened - first there was only 1 game (not counting variants), and there were only 2 legendaries. Then there were 2 games. What's the harm in adding 3 more? 5 legends, it's a prime number, you can't go wrong! Then a 3rd game - hell, if we don't add at least 3 more we're letting the fans down! How about we add 5 - it's a prime number, you can't go wrong! There were what... 11 in Gen 4? And 12 in Gen 5?

It's gone too far now. They need to reboot the series and rethink legendaries. There have been so many events, competitions, unlocks through other games etc that people don't even care any more unless your Legendary is Shiny. They're common as muck. They might as well be breedable - especially if you make some evil labyrinthian paths to getting ideal move sets so getting the one you want takes a hell of a lot of effort.

I say they start at zero, with a small subset of normal proto-mon that - based on the moves they use most and new moves they learn, which in turn are based on the other proto-mon they fight and the environments they fight in - can evolved down multiple paths towards different types and formes, with certain Legendary formes being incredibly hard to achieve, needing perhaps a starting proto-mon with certain minimums in base stats, specific moves learned at specific times and encountering specific environments, with clues left throughout the game in the form of folk tales detailing the original Legendary's journey which you attempt to replicate. You could even randomise aspects of that journey so no two players can take the same path, meaning that you have to work for the legend rather than looking up a guide...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

They want the previous generation to connect to the newest generation.
    You can register up to 100 players on your favorites list in order to easily find them.
    You can battle very quickly or alter battle conditions.
    Clauncher used Swords Dance and Crabhammer. Skrelp used Sludge Bomb.
    The move Boomburst is Normal-type.
    You can move the camera around in battle, showing both Pokemon in split screen mode.
    Rematch battles are very easy to do after one battle is completed.
    The GTS will continue to exist.
    "We had to make sure the Pokemon looked like exciting, believable creatures. We decided to adopt Ken Sugimori's art style for official 3D models." They then show Noivern's 3D model. They said it has a bit of a scary face and resembles a bat. The art design team at Gamefreak starts by showing Pokemon from angles alongside other detailed information, such as what a Pokemon looks like with its mouth open. Or what expressions the Pokemon have in their eyes when hit, etc. Then they start with a wireframe, add basic shading, color, and apply textures to match Ken Sugimori's art. They developed a new shading technique to apply to the Pokemon and to test animation in motion. "Since Pokemon don't exist in reality, we have to use a lot of creativity to make them believable. We've applied this same process for all characters and environments as well."
    In Pokemon-anime, not all Pokemon like to be pet in the same places. The Nintendo 3DS camera allows you to communicate with the player by tilting your head and having the Pokemon copy your movements.
    Using Pokemon-amie can help your Pokemon get benefits like more critical hits or dodging more attacks.
    The Hoard Encounters do not always have the same Pokemon. Axew, Tauros, and Miltank are shown in the Horde. "What? A Horde of Pokemon appeared!"
    "We don't want to destroy the balance of the game by making very strong Pokemon available in the wild."
    A video of a Horde Encounter of Gogoat vs. five Houndour was shown. Gogoat knocks out a Houndour, but has to deal with an attack from all four of the remaining Pokemon. Gogoat uses Rock Slide - hits all four remaining, and knocks them all out. This gives you a large amount of EXP. Points.
    The view shown in from the sky and the ground is down below. Pokemon with Levitate and Flying-type pokemon are available for Sky Battles. The opposing Trainer is on top of a cliff, and challenges you to a Sky Battle. "Care for a sky battle with a Sky Trainer?" These are all optional battles since you might not have a qualifying Pokemon.
    Noctowl vs. Talonflame is shown. The camera moves around dynamically as the battle takes place showing Pokemon from above or below. Talonflame uses Flame Charge - Flying/Fire, defining characteristic is its speed. It uses Brave Bird and the animation is out of this world, showing the Pokemon fly through the air before striking the target. Deals high damage as well as recoil to user. Knocks out Noctowl.
    Haunter enters the battle against Aerodactyl. Night Shade hits. Aerodactyl hits with Stone Edge. Shadow Ball deals Aerodactyl down. Sky Battles give a high amount of money (5200 in this case).
    A lot more battle features will be available and revealed in the future.
    Q - With the advancements in technology - will we see multiple game save files?
    A - Just one save file. With Pokemon games we always just want to make it one.
    Q - Can you import Pokemon from previous games?
    A - We are thinking of something. The DS and 3DS can't communicate, but we are working on it.
    Q - Are you planning on working on DLC?
    A - Are you talking about additional content like Mystery Dungeon? That's in the top 3 of questions I was hoping I wouldn't get asked. We don't have anything we can announce today."
    Q - Will there be a story reason why Fairy-type will all of a sudden exist?
    A - When we first decided we wanted to bring the type into the world, we wanted to find a way to balance the stength of the Dragon type. But no one wants us to weaken the Dragon-type Pokemon, so we decided to come up with something that could go against a Dragon, so that's why we came up with the Fairy-type.
    Q- How will the always connected feature work?
    A - It isn't region specific. Anyone in the world could be physically next to you.
    Q - How many new Pokemon will be showing up this time?
    A - I'm hoping that you discover it for yourselves.
    Q - Why would you choose to base the Pokemon world in France?
    A - How did you know it was France? (laughs)
    Q - it looks a lot like France.
    A - The new region is based on France because it's one of the many countries that have a focus on beauty, a major theme we want to explore in the worlds. Actually we weren't supposed to admit France was an inspiration, whoops (laughs).
    Q - Is there a possibility of the old video games being available on virtual console?
    A - We believe that Pokemon is the best on the handhelds, which is why we are careful to decide if we want to put it on a home console.
    Q - With IVs and EVs, it's been very difficult to catch the right Pokemon and it is time consuming. Have you considered tweaking the formula to save player time?
    A - (silence. . . deep in thought), didn't expect anyone to talk about that today (laughs). In Pokemon X and Y we are going to make these hidden specs more visible and easier for players to access.
    Q (JWittz's) - I noticed that the female avatar changes clothing in the game introduction. How deep will player customization be?
    A - (pause) Good eye for catching that! (laughs) We have made the games in a way where you can change your hair style and set your appearance in many ways. We did that so that players will look unique on the PSS avatar screen.
    Q - Why is the game still locked to a grid?
    A - It's a lot easier to plot out when scripted events will happen. HOWEVER, using the analogue pad with the rollerskates movement is much more free (8 directions, etc)
    Q- Hi my name is Ash (everyone laughs). Yes it's actually Ash! What do you prioritize when making the music, and are you looking to add new musical styles?
    A - We want to take the style of streaming music - the feeling of music will be quite different. The music that we create in our production environment will be able to play directly on the 3DS, we aren't restricted by game limitations.
    Q - Could you go into detail about how Mewtwo goes in new formes? Would you like him to be in Smash Bros.?
    A - Long pauses, lots of laughs. I can't really explain WHAT that Pokemon you're talking about was or if it will appear in other games as well. But with Smash Brothers we always carefully decide which characters we want to add.
    Q - what will the evil team or rival be like?
    A - There PROBABLY will be some kind of evil team. (laughs) You can expect to see a team "something." There are characters that occupy the rival position, but we want the games to be about having fun with a bunch of people. There might be multiple rivals.
    Q - Will a friend on the PSS automatically make you a friend on the 3DS?
    A - It might be a good idea to register your friends in advance, because your 3DS firends will be on your PSS list right away.
    Q - What kinds of transportation will there be?
    A - There will be a lot of new gems we won't reveal yet. It depends on the place, a lot of these new systems are localized.
    Q - When it comes to battling online, will you be able to see your opponent's team before you battle them in order to help formulate a strategy?
    A - In order to avoid confusion, online battles will be the pretty much same in X and Y as the previous games. However, a new feature for the internet battles will allow you to select a different song to play while you're in battle.
    Q - We saw trainers riding a Gogoat jumping over a barrier and a player riding a slow moving Rhydon. What are the benefits to iding a pokemon vs. the bike in earlier games?
    A - The other Pokemon you saw was actually Rhyhorn, not Rhydon (burn). Maybe a big rocky Pokemon will help you cross broken paths that you might not be able to cross with a bike alone. He'll allow you to bust up rocks along your way across your path. Rhyhorn was the Pokemon I personally always wanted to ride. If there was a Rhyhorn here in real life I'm sure you'd like to ride him as well. (WPM Note: o_O)

And a short trailer

Banjo wrote: »
    I say they start at zero, with a small subset of normal proto-mon that - based on the moves they use most and new moves they learn, which in turn are based on the other proto-mon they fight and the environments they fight in - can evolved down multiple paths towards different types and formes, with certain Legendary formes being incredibly hard to achieve, needing perhaps a starting proto-mon with certain minimums in base stats, specific moves learned at specific times and encountering specific environments, with clues left throughout the game in the form of folk tales detailing the original Legendary's journey which you attempt to replicate. You could even randomise aspects of that journey so no two players can take the same path, meaning that you have to work for the legend rather than looking up a guide...

That's a great idea, sounds a bit digiomony though.. but I'd love for more forms and evolution tie ins, just because it'd make them more interesting.

Absolutely brilliant interview, thanks cloud.
    Q - With IVs and EVs, it's been very difficult to catch the right Pokemon and it is time consuming. Have you considered tweaking the formula to save player time?
    A - (silence. . . deep in thought), didn't expect anyone to talk about that today (laughs). In Pokemon X and Y we are going to make these hidden specs more visible and easier for players to access.

This sounds good. And with amie to improve some stats in battle, that must be part of it in someway..

Stellar! Where did that interview come from?
    Since your Friends list is automatically imported into your PSS (no idea what it stands for but presumably some sort of quick-dial for Trainers?) when you start a game, do we need to kick off a thread and get those friend lists sorted for October?

Sounds like there will be plenty to do. Torn between going for the download version (costs more but won't have to carry the cart to play it..., unsure if save manipulation will be possible) vs Cart (have the tools to backup the save for nuzlockes and insurance purposes, seems likely that Wondercard and pokemon injection will be possible later, resale value...)

Am I the only one who turns off animations? I find they slow everything down and make the grind even more grindy....

wait, download version costs more? o0 ..that doesn't make sense ..well I know what I'll be going for.

I don't really grind, so I like animations....but yeah..they do slow things down

Shishiko:
    corocoro6134th.jpg

Kofukimushi, Spewpa & Vivillon:
    corocoro6133th.jpg

Furabebe:
    corocoro6135th.jpg

Example of a horde Battle:
    31.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I hope the fire lion gets a better evolution, it looks a bit daft there. A big flaming mane would be quite cool :D

Angron wrote: »
    I hope the fire lion gets a better evolution, it looks a bit daft there. A big flaming mane would be quite cool :D

Doesn`t it look more like bear than a lion cub

The colour sure, but I'd still lean more towards a lion look alike. It's mainly the eyes that are getting me though, not really sure why.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Horde's and Sky fights look great

• Advertisement

The only thing stopping me from getting this is 3DS and the fact that I dont have one. My birthday is October so might be able to swing my Mother putting some money towards it when she asks me what do I want. :pac:
    Banjo wrote: »
    It's easy to see how it happened - first there was only 1 game (not counting variants), and there were only 2 legendaries. Then there were 2 games. What's the harm in adding 3 more? 5 legends, it's a prime number, you can't go wrong! Then a 3rd game - hell, if we don't add at least 3 more we're letting the fans down! How about we add 5 - it's a prime number, you can't go wrong! There were what... 11 in Gen 4? And 12 in Gen 5?
    I'd say Gen 1 had 5. Mewtwo and Mew being obvious but also Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres. Gen 2 then introduced Ho-oh, Lugia and Celebi along with Suicune, Raiku(sp?) and Entei. Thats 11 already. Can't remember how many Gen 3 had but had at least eight. The three Regi's (can't remember if the fourth Regi was Gen 3 or 4) along with Latias, Latios, Kyogre, Groudon and Rayquaza. 19 in only 3 Gen's. Gen 4 and 5 had easily 10 each so we're looking at about 40 legendaries. Based on history, Gen 6 will probably have the same again. That'll be ~50 out of 7xx Pokemon. 1 out of every 15 or so is a legendary Pokemon. Not that special anymore.

Advertisement