Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,750 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Super Bowl L will be played at the 49ers new stadium and SB LI will be played at relient stadium in Houston.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Super Bowl L will be played at the 49ers new stadium and SB LI will be played at relient stadium in Houston.

Super Bowl in Houston needs to be reunited with Janet Jackson! :pac:

Found this interesting:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/05/13/neils-nfl-daily-may-13-2013/

Players who cause the most flags:

Wide receivers:
    It would be trite to simply publish a list of receivers with the most caused flags — at the end of the day it may well just be a function of those running the most routes. So, on that basis I decided to look at the percentage of penalties drawn to routes run. The table below includes players who ran 200 or more routes, and naturally includes plays negated by penalty.

66a238ee57d7497f73042518ff36ab3a.png
    The most striking thing is that not only did the Ravens’ Torrey Smith draw the highest number of flags, but he also had the biggest percentage too. With Jacoby Jones also in the Top 20 (at 12) it gives a clear indication of just how much opposing teams feared the Baltimore deep passing game. Also, while the numbers for Domenik Hixon may be low, the Panthers should be interesting to watch in this regard next year as, with Carolina picking him up as an unrestricted free agent, they now have the No. 3 and No. 4 players on the list.

Defensive linemen and linebackers:
    As these guys can typically draw flags in either the running or passing game, on this occasion I’ve include both and used 400 defensive snaps as the qualifying mark.

a8661e2b3798a1233087f8590c838240.png
    While Von Miller and Jason Pierre-Paul are joint defensive leaders in flags drawn, neither could beat Brandon Graham in terms of overall percentage of penalties caused. So, not only did Brandon Graham top our Pass Rush Productivity listing with a massive 17.3, he also made offensive lineman take additional measures to combat his effectiveness.

One last thing, while we didn’t see Pierre-Paul at his best as a pass rusher this year we felt he was the best 4-3 DE run defender in the league (just ahead of Lamarr Houston). The fact that six of the nine penalties he drew occurred in the running game goes to this point.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Paully D wrote: »
    Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 33s

At least he didn't violate the leagues PED policy, eh!

That's probably why he was released.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

See Brian Urlacher has retired. Future HOF'er?

• Advertisement

946856_157564991090744_1412135080_n.png

Sorry Niners fans :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

TaosHum wrote: »

without a doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 10,862 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Arawn wrote: »
    without a doubt

Not so much that he has retired, as he has been retired. Tried hard to drum up interest in Denver and Minnesota after feeling the bears offer was too low. Thought he could have handled that situation with more class in terms of the media. But yeah, former face of the franchise and would love if he were to be inducted down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Not so much that he has retired, as he has been retired. Tried hard to drum up interest in Denver and Minnesota after feeling the bears offer was too low. Thought he could have handled that situation with more class in terms of the media. But yeah, former face of the franchise and would love if he were to be inducted down the road.

still a hof for sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

As one of the greatest players of his generation, he will undoubtedly stroll into the HOF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I always thought he was a little overrated.
    The guy put up gawdy stats, but I think a lot of that came from the scheme.
    Any MLB that lines up 7 yards deep is going to see a massive amount of tackles.

In his prime he was a great athlete, but once his speed started to drop he stopped being effective.

You compare that to other long standing LB's like Derek Johnson & London Fletcher, those guys are still making a difference to their teams at the end of their career...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

Arawn wrote: »
    without a doubt
    As one of the greatest players of his generation, he will undoubtedly stroll into the HOF.

+ 1 lads, no question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

People talk of Zach Thomas getting in (not as a first ballot though) and as much as I love Thomas, Urlacher was the superior MLB in my book. So I think Urlacher should most certainly get in, but whether it is as a first ballot will be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Urlacher was done in the NFL a few years back especially when this happened

He has put in many years great service but there are plenty of good arguments for and against him going to the HOF. He will most likely get in.

Here is what Urlacher said recently about the above play :D
    When Patrick asked Urlacher, "Who was the quarterback or running back you didn't get, and you really wanted to?" it didn't take Urlacher long to remember one particularly embarrassing play against Tom Brady and the New England Patriots. It was Week 12 of the 2006 season, and Brady -- who will hardly go down as the most mobile quarterback of all time -- managed to elude Urlacher in the open field on a fourth-quarter scramble. As you can see in the video above, it was an atypical play for several reasons.

"Brady always kicked our butts -- I don't think we ever beat [New England] when Tom Brady was the starting quarterback," Urlacher remembered. "He juked me out of my shoes in 2006."

As Patrick said, "Every white guy who couldn't move loved that play, because it was Brady who was doing it."

"Man, he really got me, and he's one of the best of all time," Urlacher concluded. "There were just some guys I had a hard time with."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Pretty sure he'll get in. The best cover 2 LB of our generation, and hard to find a nicer, more respected guy in the league during that time.

Loved the Cardinals' Dennis Green reference in their shout out to Urlacher on twitter yesterday. They retweeted Urlacher's announcement and added on "You are who we thought you were. Congrats." :D

Probably not on the first ballot, since he will be on that in the same year as Ray Lewis. But eventually he'll get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

When Michael Strahan was not a 1st ballot HOF you can never be sure who will be but Urlacher won't have to wait long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Urlacher was always in the top end of linebackers but he was never the best and doesn't deserve to go into the Hall of Fame for being 2nd/3rd best all his career. Unless its becoming the hall of good.

Probably the best LB in coverage of his generation but he was never the best LB overall. He shouldn't get in but he probably will.

Urlacher was always in the top end of linebackers but he was never the best and doesn't deserve to go into the Hall of Fame for being 2nd/3rd best all his career. Unless its becoming the hall of good.

Probably the best LB in coverage of his generation but he was never the best LB overall. He shouldn't get in but he probably will.

Better LB than Singletary and he's in the HOF.

Pretty sure he was the best when he won defensive player of the year. Other than Lewis, who has been better in the last ten years?

• Advertisement

I had a free evening so, after seeing a thread on NFL UK forum, decided to go ahead and predict what I thought each teams record would be over the course of the season, baring in mind that it doesn't account for possible injuries, momentum etc.

It's far too early to put up a prediction thread so this is just to pass a bit of free time. I haven't looked at games in much detail at all, if I looked over it again I'd probably come up with a few different results, which I will do for the proper prediction thread. But anyway, I thought I'd fire the predictions in here to get some opinion and hopefully others will put up theirs too :)

AFC East:

Patriots 12-4
    Dolphins 8-8
    Bills 5-11
    Jets 4-12

AFC North:

Ravens 10-6
    Bengals 9-7
    Steelers 9-7
    Browns 5-11

AFC South:

Texans 11-5
    Colts 8-8
    Titans 5-11
    Jaguars 3-13

AFC West:

Broncos 12-4
    Chiefs 7-9
    Chargers 7-9
    Raiders 3-13

Playoff teams: Patriots, Broncos, Texans, Ravens
    Wildcards: Bengals, Steelers

Last time three teams from the same division made the playoffs was 2007. Unlikely, but you never know! AFC North has sent two teams to the playoffs for the past 5 years, perhaps this is the year they bring three?

NFC East:

Giants 9-7
    Redskins 8-8
    Cowboys 8-8
    Eagles 7-9

NFC North:

Packers 11-5
    Bears 8-8
    Vikings 7-9
    Lions 7-9

NFL South:

Falcons 11-5
    Saints 9-7
    Panthers 8-8
    Buccaneers 6-10

NFL West:

49ers 12-4
    Seahawks 11-5
    Rams 8-8
    Cardinals 4-12

Playoffs: 49ers, Packers, Falcons, Giants
    Wildcards: Seahawks, Saints

If the above happens that would leave the Raiders and Jaguars fighting it out for the number 1 pick in the 2014 draft, with the Jets, Cardinals and Browns/Titans all picking in the top five.

That passed an hour anyway :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Can't believe you're low balling the Titans so much*

* can't be quoted at the end of the season!

Can't believe you're low balling the Titans so much*

* can't be quoted at the end of the season!

It all depends on Locker for me. If he performs, you'll do okay and if not, it'll be on the lower end of the wins scale IMO. If Ryan Fitzpatrick has to play any significant time you might be lucky to get to five wins IMO :pac: I know Locker had injury problems last year and so did the O-line, but when he did play he was only ahead of Sanchez, Henne and Cassell in statistics. With the injury history, and having not seen a whole lot of Locker that has impressed me so far, I'm going to edge on the side of caution and that's why I've gone for around 5 wins.

As a matter of interest mate, how many wins would you pencil the Titans in for at present? Just to show my rationale, I went:

@ Steelers - L
    @ Texans - L
    vs Chargers, Jets, Chiefs - 2 W's
    @ Seahawks - L
    vs Niners - L

Bye

@ Rams - L
    vs Jags - W
    vs Colts - W
    @ Raiders - W/L
    @ Colts - L
    @ Broncos - L
    vs Cardinals - W
    @ Jags - L
    vs Texans - L

If I reviewed it again I might give them the win at Oakland making it 6 wins (although I see it as one of not many winnable games for Oakland this year), but with that schedule I don't see too many unlikely wins coming against the better teams. Jaguars is another winnable two games but since 2009 the series has been split so I go one win each in that.

Time will tell :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Pretty sure he was the best when he won defensive player of the year. Other than Lewis, who has been better in the last ten years?

Being second best shouldn't get you into the hall of fame. It does get you it now and again but it shouldn't.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

As a matter of interest mate, how many wins would you pencil the Titans in for at present? Just to show my rationale, I went:

@ Steelers - W
    @ Texans - L
    vs Chargers, Jets, Chiefs - 2 W's (loss against Chargers)
    @ Seahawks - L
    vs Niners - L

Bye

@ Rams - W
    vs Jags - W
    vs Colts - W
    @ Raiders - W
    @ Colts - L
    @ Broncos - L
    vs Cardinals - W
    @ Jags - W
    vs Texans - L

We beat the Steelers last year, Locker will (should) have no injury concerns and pre-season will give the new o-line units and secondary time to gel.
    Texans win in both games is pretty much guaranteed imo, we'll get one win over the Colts. We havent beaten the Chargers in 3/4 attempts but should be able to win against the Jets and Chiefs.

We'll beat the Rams, it will be close but i think we'll edge it and i'd love to see Cookies face when we do!
    We'll beat the Jags in both gam.

We'll lose to the Broncos and 9'ers no doubt.

We'll lose to the Seahawks too, however while i'm in the stand at Qwest/Century Link field i will be screaming my head off :D:D

9 wins, it's aimbitious no doubt abouut and it requires more than anything for Locker to stay healthy.
    I think our D will massively help up this year.

Patrick Willis,
    Lance Briggs,
    London Fletcher,
    Zach Thomas

I'm sure I could think of more...

He was a great coverage backer and played in the perfect scheme for his skillset, but he was by no means the best linebacker.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

BizzyC wrote: »
    Patrick Willis,
    Lance Briggs,
    London Fletcher,
    Zach Thomas

I certainly wouldn't put Briggs or Thomas in front of Urlacher and we could probably talk about that until the cows come home. The general consensus in the NFL world seems to be, Urlacher will be going into the HOF. And deservedly so imo.

BizzyC wrote: »
    Patrick Willis,
    Lance Briggs,
    London Fletcher,
    Zach Thomas

He was a great coverage backer and played in the perfect scheme for his skillset, but he was by no means the best linebacker.

I'd possibly grant you Willis but the primes of their careers are different, and urlacher was hit with injuries while still making pro bowls at the time. Briggs is good, but seriously, not as good as urlacher. Btw urlacher had four pro bowl appearances before he was working in the cover 2 scheme, and wasn't working primarily in coverage until lovie.

I don't doubt he will, he played very well in that scheme and became a big name, I just don't think he was ever really the top of the LB class.

He was a massive presence in the Bears D for years, and was probably the best cover 2 LB of all time, but I don't think he'd have had anywhere near the same success in another scheme.

It's the exact same argument other people make against Welker being a top 5 WR.
    Sure he puts up great numbers, but is he actually better at the position to the other elite players....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Last time three teams from the same division made the playoffs was 2007. Unlikely, but you never know! AFC North has sent two teams to the playoffs for the past 5 years, perhaps this is the year they bring three?

2011? 3 AFC North teams in the playoffs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement