Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Interesting read on Peyton's 9-11 record in the playoffs. Far too long and detailed to copy and paste:

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/peyton-mannings-9-11-playoff-record-is-call-for-help/20868/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Justin Bieber and Keyshawn Johnson in a high speed car chase...
    SkySportsNFL ‏@SkySportsNFL 4m
    Reports: Justin Bieber investigated after high speed car chase with ex NFL WR Keyshawn Johnson who lives in same gated community in LA as JB

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Rewatched the game in the playoffs last year between the redskins and the Seahawks and RGIII should never have been in the game that late on. It seemed madness then and it seems madness now. I'd forgotten how unable to run he was.

I also watched the imaculate touchception game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Rewatched the game in the playoffs last year between the redskins and the Seahawks and RGIII should never have been in the game that late on. It seemed madness then and it seems madness now. I'd forgotten how unable to run he was.

I also watched the imaculate touchception game.

Cousins could have won the Redskins that game. It was a ridiculous decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

SantryRed wrote: »

Seriously? :D

• Advertisement

SantryRed wrote: »

Well the Seahawks weren't exactly scoring at will in that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

NFL.com listed their top 20 games of the season. Well worth going back and watching some of them on Gamepass during the offseason:

1) Ravens @ Broncos
    2) Seahawks @ Falcons
    3) Packers @ Vikings
    4) Packers @ Seahawks
    5) 49ers @ Ravens (Super Bowl)

6) 49ers @ Patriots
    7) Packers @ Colts
    8) Broncos @ Chargers
    9) Patriots @ Ravens
    10) Giants @ Cowboys

11) Lions @ Titans
    12) Patriots @ Seahawks
    13) Texans @ Lions
    14) Panthers @ Falcons
    15) Colts @ Lions

16) Steelers @ Cowboys
    17) 49ers @ Falcons
    18) Rams @ 49ers
    19) Bucs @ Giants
    20) Redskins @ Cowboys

Some cracking games on that list, but no way would I have the Packers @ Seahawks game at #4. Yes, the ending will always be remembered but I don't know if I'd have it on this list at all to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Paully D wrote: »
    Some cracking games on that list, but no way would I have the Packers @ Seahawks game at #4. Yes, the ending will always be remembered but I don't know if I'd have it on this list at all to be honest.

The controversial ending certainly doesn't make it an unmissable game. So +1 Paully, it wouldn't make my list either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Mike Adams Steelers OT hospitilised after being stabbed in a Robbery attempt on his home. He is recovering in hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Colts/packers game wasn't actually that good!! Lots of emotion for the week that was in it alright but probably the worst the Packers have played in the last 3 years!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Lions @ Titans is worthy, it was a very good game and a few enjoyable moments in it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I quite liked jags texans too.

TO. wrote: »
    Mike OT hospitilised after being stabbed in a Robbery attempt on his home. He is recovering in hospital.

Just seen that, apparently 3 guys with knives try to steal his wheels. Adams scared them off and gave chase even after getting stabbed in the abdomen :eek:. Idiots should have known you do NOT mess with an offensive lineman.

Just seen that, apparently 3 guys with knives try to steal his wheels. Adams scared them off and gave chase even after getting stabbed in the abdomen :eek:. Idiots should have known you do NOT mess with an offensive lineman.
    I really hope he got close enough to give them a slap around the ear!

taidghbaby wrote: »
    I really hope he got close enough to give them a slap around the ear!

Unfortuntely no, but they were so desperate to escape, one of the suspects dropped his phone while running. Which means he's basically fúcked now.

RIP Deacon jones.

Lots more talk today about a London franchise. Goddell spoke with Bart Hubbuch (NFL writer for the NY Post) and he stated that the Jaguars will likely play two ''home'' games in London in the near future and the NFL are trying to get a third UK game every year (possibly in a different stadium than Wembley).

Hubbuch said that from listening to Goddell, it sounded like we'll be watching the London Jaguars by around 2020.

Nothing really new there, but what do people think of that? I know they sell out the London game(s), but there's a big difference between once or twice a year and a franchise. Also, while it would be great to pop over now and again for games, many UK/Irish NFL fans have teams that they already love and I can't see them changing just because of a new franchise closer to their location. No one that I know personally who likes the NFL would change anyway and I'm sure the vast majority of people would be the same.

I've also seen a couple of agents on Twitter saying that there's no chance that most players would agree to play there, along with tax being an issue and the NFL model (trades etc) would be a legal issue in the EU.

It seems very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Lots more talk today about a London franchise. Goddell spoke with Bart Hubbuch (NFL writer for the NY Post) and he stated that the Jaguars will likely play two ''home'' games in London in the near future and the NFL are trying to get a third UK game every year (possibly in a different stadium than Wembley).

Hubbuch said that from listening to Goddell, it sounded like we'll be watching the London Jaguars by around 2020.

Nothing really new there, but what do people think of that? I know they sell out the London game(s), but there's a big difference between once or twice a year and a franchise. Also, while it would be great to pop over now and again for games, many UK/Irish NFL fans have teams that they already love and I can't see them changing just because of a new franchise closer to their location. No one that I know personally who likes the NFL would change anyway and I'm sure the vast majority of people would be the same.

I've also seen a couple of agents on Twitter saying that there's no chance that most players would agree to play there, along with tax being an issue and the NFL model (trades etc) would be a legal issue in the EU.

It seems very difficult.

Still on the fence over whether this would ever work properly, it'd be tough to see if they could generate a sustainable following to sell out say a 50/60k stadium every week 5 years into the franchise. There wouldn't be the same travelling from across the UK/Ireland and Europe like there is for the international game and 1 or 2 years into it the novelty will have worn off even for people in the locality.

Of course a city like London has the population that could potentially support a team but it's the short time line that this would have to be achieved in which would be the stumbling block. They don't have 10 years to drum up a generation that's used to having an NFL team there and would go to it week in week out, if attendances were falling say during the third year and continued to do so through the 4th and 5th it'd be labelled a flop and would be moved on as noone would be making money from it any longer and there'd be people in American cities crying out for a franchise that could make money.

Regards the taxing, I assume there'd be a way for the majority of the "company" to be registered in a country with fairly similar tax levels (better tax levels could be used as an incentive for personel to give it a chance) but I'm not sure how players contracts and their trading/transfering could circumnavigate EU law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

I'd go to germany not england if I was the league

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Coaches must have a thing for Judge Judy. The brief time I played in the IAFL we had an audible called Judy in honor of the aforementioned.

If the jags do move to London and the AFC remains as is ill be over the moon! Colts in London once a year...fantastic!

Jason Garrett won't be calling plays for the Cowboys this year. Honestly, what is the point in him even being there? How he must regret turning down the Ravens now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I know he was in Ireland awhile ago but so random:
    @SimonZebo
    Me and @JJWatt at dinner. top man �� pic.twitter.com/GsP1blmDlp

Sign him up for Munster!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Hazys wrote: »
    I know he was in Ireland awhile ago but so random:

Sign him up for Munster!!

Not that random the dinner was on at Reliant Stadium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Not that random the dinner was on at Reliant Stadium.

How did you know that?

Random Zebo was there so...hopefully Texans aren't trying to poach him

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Irish team are in Texas for their summer tour so nothing about it is random!

Seen this on Twitter.

Little known fact: The NFL maintains protocol for a "disaster draft."

In the event of a 'near disaster' (less than 15 players killed at one time) that causes a club to lose a quarterback, they can draft one from a team with at least three quarterbacks.

In a "near disaster," in which fewer than 15 players are killed or lost for the season, teams would be required to play out the season but would receive priority on all waiver claims.

In a "disaster," in which 15 or more players are killed or lost for the season, the commissioner decides whether the team will continue its season. If it does, the "near disaster" plan would kick in. If not, a restocking draft would take place in the offseason and the team would get the No. 1 pick in that year's NFL draft.

• Advertisement

Jason Garrett won't be calling plays for the Cowboys this year. Honestly, what is the point in him even being there? How he must regret turning down the Ravens now.

I feel sorry for garett as he is the head coach of the team and

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement