Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

TO. wrote: »
    I hope this isn't a case of the father trying to lay blame rather than seek help for his son. Young has had problems all the way back to high school and through college. To suggest it stems from a solo concussion seems a bit naive. Sure concussions could do this damage but I doubt it in his case.

I'm skeptical enough at the best of times, but to me its as if they are trying to say his problems stem from everything else other than his son being a dick. Mental problems, concussion, and throw in socio economic problems as well at some stage, but no matter what is given to some people in life, if they want to act like a dick they will, and to me, that is what Titus Young is.

Maybe I am being overly harsh, but why is he different to anyone else who has been in the same situation? I find it hard to have sympathy with someone who makes such a mess of their life and blames everyone else for their own actions. It was the same when he was falling out with coaches in Detroit, always their problem and not his. I cant say I've heard anyone say a good thing about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Rolando McClain has retired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Paully D wrote: »
    Rolando McClain has retired.

I think it's more a case of...
    trey wingo @wingoz
    Rolando McClain says he's retiring from the NFL. More likely.. the NFL is retiring from Rolando McClain

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

TO. wrote: »
    I hope this isn't a case of the father trying to lay blame rather than seek help for his son. Young has had problems all the way back to high school and through college. To suggest it stems from a solo concussion seems a bit naive. Sure concussions could do this damage but I doubt it in his case.

bruschi wrote: »
    I'm skeptical enough at the best of times, but to me its as if they are trying to say his problems stem from everything else other than his son being a dick.

I agree lads, the excuse is just a total cop out. The guy has always had his issues. Now mix this with an alleged fondness for synthetic marijuana and you see the results of it last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

It's just really hard to know if he's an ass or if he's had a lot to go through and that's why he's doing these things. I hope for his sake that crime and being a douche isn't just something that's in his nature and it can be sorted out. It's tough to see a guy who had a 2 TD 100 yard game last season throw all his talent and money away like this and it's hard to fathom how he could do it without being mentally ill.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Cribbs to the Raiders. Thats him done so.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Garrard leaves the Jets it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

Probably his knee is gone again ... Can't see any other reason why they let him go

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Probably his knee is gone again ... Can't see any other reason why they let him go

Yea he has confirmed that his knee won't hold up. Shame for the guy

• Registered Users Posts: 36,219 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

That's a shame. He had a decent career, enjoyed a good stretch a few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Looks like Titus Young was also arrested on 4th May, which would be 4 arrests in 9 days.

Looks like Titus Young was also arrested on 4th May, which would be 4 arrests in 9 days.

:eek: another arrest. I wasn't aware of the earlier one. Hopefully the guy is now getting sorted out, because just locking him up won't solve anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Bruce Irvin of the Seahawks suspended for 1st 4 games of the season for violating PED substance abuse policy.

Claims it was Adderall (what else!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Bit of a worrying trend about the number of seahawks players getting busted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

paulgolin: Saw this in Boston. See @RichEisen, you tell them they're people, then they demand their own drinking establishment: http://t.co/c4k5GA2pkM

The punter jokes never get old :)

Bit of a worrying trend about the number of seahawks players getting busted.

6 Seahawks players since 2011 have tested positive for PED's. It's getting to the stage now where it's tainting the team for me. Of course they'll claim Adderall and because of the leagues crazy policy of not revealing what players tested positive for, we'll never get to find out, but a 7-9 team going 11-5 and winning a playoff game in the same period of these positive tests. You can see why people would be skeptical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

mikemac1 wrote: »
    The punter jokes never get old :)

Lol i've drank there...its the definition of a dive bar

6 Seahawks players since 2011 have tested positive for PED's. It's getting to the stage now where it's tainting the team for me. Of course they'll claim Adderall and because of the leagues crazy policy of not revealing what players tested positive for, we'll never get to find out, but a 7-9 team going 11-5 and winning a playoff game in the same period of these positive tests. You can see why people would be skeptical.

Don't forget Richard Sherman got off on a ridiculous technicality, so it should be seven players caught. Pretty shocking stuff when you think about it. Safe to say I share your skepticism Paully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

I think we should worry about the entire NFL. How many teams have players on " Adderall " ? With the new CBA its whats going to happen I'm afraid.

Unless there's a new agreement put in place or stiffer punishments we're going to see it from more and more teams.

Personally I think performance enhancing drugs are rife in most professional sports at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

It's a level playing field. The Seahawks just seem to get caught more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

http://www.theonion.com/articles/cleveland-browns-gearing-up-to-punt-ball-down-oppo,32483/

CLEVELAND—Claiming they want to impose their will against the competition, Cleveland Browns head coach Rob Chudzinski announced Friday that the team is gearing up to aggressively punt the ball down opponents’ throats this season. “We just signed T.J. Conley, who is an electrifying power punter, so you’re going to see this team transitioning to more of a boot-it-up-the-gut style of football,” said Chudzinski, adding that the Browns planned to line up in the punting formation 25-30 times a game. “I hope we’ve found a dominant, explosive punter who can relentlessly pound the ball with his foot. I won’t be satisfied unless we’re punting wild over defenses.” Chudzinski told reporters that the Browns were not opposed to having two or three punters on the roster and punting by committee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

I think we should worry about the entire NFL. How many teams have players on " Adderall " ? With the new CBA its whats going to happen I'm afraid.

Perhaps, but the sheer number of Seahawk players caught speaks for itself. Couple that with a remarkable upsurge in form in recent seasons and it's all very worrying.

I enjoyed this, photos of players as rookies. There's athletes from other sports mixed in, but plenty of NFL guys too:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1616834-100-awesome-pictures-of-sports-stars-as-rookies/page/8

As an example:

Gonzalez:

hi-res-326134_crop_650.jpg?1367432639

Peyton:

hi-res-378724_crop_650.jpg?1367214939

Samuel:

gettysamuel_crop_650.jpeg?1367437468

6 Seahawks players since 2011 have tested positive for PED's. It's getting to the stage now where it's tainting the team for me...

Looks like the NFL is taking notice too...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000204830/article/seattle-seahawks-could-be-fined-by-nfl-for-players-ped-use
    The Seattle Seahawks could be fined by the NFL for multiple players being suspended in a season for violating the drug, steroid or personal conduct policies, a league spokesman said Monday.

"There are financial consequences for a team that has multiple players suspended in a season under those policies," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said regarding the rule.
    It was not specified if the Seahawks have or will be fined after linebacker Bruce Irvin's suspension for violating the league's PED rules. That punishment was announced Friday.
    The Seahawks could fall under the league's remittance policy since multiple players recently have been suspended for violating banned substance rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Fines aren't enough. Gonna have to start taking away draft picks if they want to be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Why isnt it taken more seriously :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Why isnt it taken more seriously :confused:

Id say money plays a major role in it. The NFL know as do most Major Sporting organisations know it is rampant throughout Pro sports. Id say if they tested every player tomorrow in the NFL easily over half of them would test positive. If the league take it that seriously they would be suspending half the league and lets face it they will lose a stack of money if found that half the league is on performance enhancers.

What they need to do now is make an example of those teams and players who are stupid enough to get caught and hand out a season long ban and a removal of draft picks. Punish both team and player. Should tighten it up somewhat if they do it before the season and grab a couple of them and hit them big.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Because everyone is doing it and the NFL knows it.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 33s
    Seahawks announced they waived QB Josh Portis, who was arrested on suspicion of DUI on May 5.

At least he didn't violate the leagues PED policy, eh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

I'm going to say it now, don't get too excited about all this nfl stuff for xbox one. You know half the stuff wont be available here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement