Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Paully D wrote: »
    Seen this on Twitter.

Little known fact: The NFL maintains protocol for a "disaster draft."

In the event of a 'near disaster' (less than 15 players killed at one time) that causes a club to lose a quarterback, they can draft one from a team with at least three quarterbacks.

In a "near disaster," in which fewer than 15 players are killed or lost for the season, teams would be required to play out the season but would receive priority on all waiver claims.

In a "disaster," in which 15 or more players are killed or lost for the season, the commissioner decides whether the team will continue its season. If it does, the "near disaster" plan would kick in. If not, a restocking draft would take place in the offseason and the team would get the No. 1 pick in that year's NFL draft.

What describes lost? presumably a season ending injury?

Interesting either way! nice find Paully!

Or death I suppose, imagine something like the Munich air disaster happening to an NFL team.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Or death I suppose, imagine something like the Munich air disaster happening to an NFL team.

:eek: The thought of that happening to any team makes the blood run cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Was just thinking this myself...

It's eerily quiet on the Hard Knocks front

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Death or maimed describes lost, as far as I know.

If it's less than 15 players lost (including the QB), then a team can draft a QB from a team that has 3 on their roster. If it's more than 15 players lost, then if the commissioner decides to waive the teams season and gives them the first pick, a special draft is held in which each team can protect 32 players on their roster, but the rest are put up as available to be drafted.

There's a little more on it here:

http://espn.go.com/gen/s/2001/0328/1163463.html
    padraig_f wrote: »
    Was just thinking this myself...

It's eerily quiet on the Hard Knocks front

Yep, I said that to a friend a couple of days ago. It's not looking good. I'm sure someone like Jerry Jones will step in to save the day :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,541 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

They should have kept that rule locked up and unknown, next thing you know some nutcase Browns or Jags fan arrives with an oozie......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

eagle eye wrote: »
    They should have kept that rule locked up and unknown, next thing you know some nutcase Browns or Jags fan arrives with an oozie......

He going to arrive with a workflow scheduling system to manage their Hadoop jobs? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Hazys wrote: »
    How did you know that?

Random Zebo was there so...hopefully Texans aren't trying to poach him

Twitter, the IRFU page tweeted out a pic of a few players and JJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

eagle eye wrote: »

Or a religious nut!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Dunno whether this was posted but found it as a link in an article where the Seahawks declared they'd no intention of being on hard knocks.

Best of Hard Knocks

...the Seahawks declared they'd no intention of being on hard knocks...

With all the PED's in their changing room lately, who could blame them.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

Baltimores Superbowl ring.

2013_Baltimore_Ravens_Super_Bowl_Ring_Picture_First_Look.jpg

For comparison their other one from 2000
    640px-Baltimore_Ravens_Super_Bowl_XXXV_Ring.jpg

I like the 2000 one more, maybe its just that it has a pitch on it :o

It could be one of those jelly rings and I'd still love it :D

I do think the 2000 one looks nicer though.

Have to agree, the 2000 ring is much nicer. I wouldn't say no though.

Looks better here:

5952_589710007730064_1822219317_n.jpg

BMMkJjECAAEKrbK.jpg

:D

Ravens gave every full time employee and the media that covered the team directly a ring too. Nice touch I thought.

The pictures don't do it justice really though. Look at this 360 degree video of the ring, it's great:

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/videos/videos/360_Degree_Video_View_Of_Super_Bowl_Ring/7be7110f-d704-4561-9135-eb8c49231600

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Yeah Bisciotti seems like a real gent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I think all the superbowl rings look horrible. I'd never be able to wear one all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I think all the superbowl rings look horrible. I'd never be able to wear one all the time.

Probably not going to be an issue for you in fairness. ;-)

Have to agree having seen the Pats ones up close and a Steelers one up close they are awful looking and bulky as fook. Would wreck my head wearing any of those rings on my fingers. They would be put in a safe and left there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

no wonder brady can still throw a ball lugging around 3 of those things

Gabe Carimi traded to the Bucs for a 6th.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Looks like Ochocinco will have to do jail time.
    NFL.com wrote:
    The former Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver, last signed to the Miami Dolphins, will serve 30 days in jail after violating the terms of his probation in a domestic violence case, according to the Associated Press. Johnson pleaded no contest to allegations of head-butting his former wife Evelyn Lozada last August.

Love this though
    NFL.com wrote:
    It appears that a plea deal that called for no jail time could have been reached if Johnson had behaved with more respect in court on Monday. Broward County Circuit Judge Kathleen McHugh rejected the deal after Johnson slapped his attorney on the butt in a playful manner.

The judge said Johnson wasn't taking things seriously enough, and she didn't listen to his apologies. McHugh also extended Johnson's probation for three months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Pacman Jones arrested again reports Adam Schefter on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Pacman Jones arrested again reports Adam Schefter on Twitter.

More on that from Schefter:

Bengals CB Adam Jones arrested in what his agent Peter Schaffer calls "a travesty of justice." Schaffer said police haven't spoken to Jones. Schaffer said 2 intoxicated women approached Jones at Reds game, took picture with him, threw bottle of beer at him, then Jones slapped one.

And from NBC:

His agent, Peter Schaffer, tells PFT by phone that Jones was at a bar after a Reds game. Jones was approached by two women that he deemed to be intoxicated, and they wanted to take a picture with him. Jones declined.

After he declined, one of them threw a beer bottle at him, striking his head from point blank range. So he turned and slapped her and said, 'What are your doing? Stop it!'

Schaffer says that he has spoken to multiple eyewitnesses who corroborate Jones’ version of the events. Schaffer also says that the police have spoken to none of the witnesses, other than the two women.

'If it was anybody other than Adam Jones, they would have investigated it,' Schaffer said of the police. 'If it was anybody other than Adam Jones, they wouldn’t have arrested him.'

Schaffer said of the police. 'If it was anybody other than Adam Jones, they wouldn’t have arrested him.'

Or perhaps, with an arrest record as long as a roll of bog roll, who could blame the police for arresting him.

Bengals CB Adam Jones arrested in what his agent Peter Schaffer calls "a travesty of justice." Schaffer said police haven't spoken to Jones. Schaffer said 2 intoxicated women approached Jones at Reds game, took picture with him, threw bottle of beer at him, then Jones slapped one...
    'If it was anybody other than Adam Jones, they would have investigated it,' Schaffer said of the police. 'If it was anybody other than Adam Jones, they wouldn’t have arrested him.'

You can only laugh at the fantasy they inhabit, in which a man and his agent can claim to be shocked at his being arrested for thumping a woman, and think the "but she started it" routine is a perfectly good defence.

You can only laugh at the fantasy they inhabit, in which a man and his agent can claim to be shocked at his being arrested for thumping a woman, and think the "but she started it" routine is a perfectly good defence.

She flung a bottle and hit him with it in the head according to his agent. If his event of things is true personally I don't care what gender you are, when you pick up and item and use it as a weapon you will get smacked by me. Big difference in slapping her for doing nothing but in this case it is self defense. Really bugs me that this not hitting a woman comes into play. All bets are off when objects that can do damage are involved. If that makes me a monster so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

TO. wrote: »
    She flung a bottle and hit him with it in the head according to his agent. If his event of things is true personally I don't care what gender you are, when you pick up and item and use it as a weapon you will get smacked by me. Big difference in slapping her for doing nothing but in this case it is self defense. Really bugs me that this not hitting a woman comes into play. All bets are off when objects that can do damage are involved. If that makes me a monster so be it.

Your a monster TO. ;)

Until full story comes out its hard to know but I certainly imagine his past record was taken into account by the police. It's not fair but you are judged by your past.

If his story is true it'll come out pretty quickly. I'm sure all these places have CCTV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Have no clue how to put a GIF in so ill stick a link for chad slapping his lawyer! The face on the bailiff I'd priceless!

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/6/10/4415352/the-most-import-ass-slap-of-chad-johnsons-career

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement