Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should Cyclists Pay Road Tax

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭stephen97

endacl wrote: »
    You thought we had 'road tax'. You're in need of information.
    i know we have road tax, not think you bufoon, its called motor tax in ireland but ireland is such a small island on the planet earth. the majority of humans on the planet earth know what road tax is, in all its guises, are you that up your own arse?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,223 ✭✭✭✭endacl

stephen97 wrote: »
    i know we have road tax, not think you bufoon, its called motor tax in ireland but ireland is such a small island on the planet earth. the majority of humans on the planet earth know what road tax is, in all its guises, are you that up your own arse?

Seriously? You know we have 'road tax'? And I'm the bufoon?

It's spelled buffoon by the way, you buffoon.

;-)

;-)
    ok you win you are the biggest child here, wow, you win , 3 cheers for the child

ok you win you are the biggest child here, wow, you win , 3 cheers for the child
    Ah go on now! That reads as a little childish. Does Stephen need a nap?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Motor tax is for vehicles with motors that use the roads...... How exactly would we calculate a motorless vehicle's motor tax? :pac:

• Advertisement

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Motor tax is for vehicles with motors that use the roads...... How exactly would we calculate a motorless vehicle's motor tax? :pac:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_performance

You'd have to add an extra tax to power gels as well though.

Corkfeen wrote: »
    well for first if you read the thread, you would see i called it road tax for bicycles, not motor tax, that's why i didn't change the thread title, so it refers to bicycles

;-)
    Ah go on now! That reads as a little childish. Does Stephen need a nap?

:D

Mod

You can both stop the childish sniping now please.

Mod

You can both stop the childish sniping now please.
    i have since changed my initial thread to stop any confusion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

well for first if you read the thread, you would see i called it road tax for bicycles, not motor tax, that's why i didn't change the thread title, so it refers to bicycles

Except bikes cause literally no damage to the roads so can't be classified as a major expense. The most you can legitimately charge would be less than a cent a year as they aren't a strain on the infrastructure.

• Advertisement

Most posters have been reading the thread. Its been one of the funniest on the topic for a while.

Why would you want a new (and unimplementable) tax introduced? People pay enough as it stands. As has been repeatedly explained, having people cycle rather than drive actually saves the state money.

I get it. You're young, idealistic and have all this stuff sorted out in your head. You think you pay a tax to use the road. You think everybody else should too. Its just not fair, is it? If you have an aul'l browse back through the thread, and the many others on the topic, you'll find lots of smart people explaining clearly to some slightly-less-than-smart-people, that use of the roads is free. You pay to use a vehicle with an engine on them. If you don't want to pay 'road' tax, maybe you should find an empty field and do your driving there.

Cyclists don't pay a tax because there is no tax due, and this is as it should be. I pay a motor tax. Some of this goes to pay for the upkeep and maintenance of infrastructure. Most of which doesn't. I also pay VAT on every purchase. Some of which goes to pay for the upkeep and maintenance of infrastructure. Again, most of which doesn't. There's no direct correlation between motor tax paid and roads, in the same way that there's no correlation between VAT paid on sweeties and welfare payments for dental work.

If you want to keep digging, you're going to need a bigger shovel.

;)

Most posters have been reading the thread. Its been one of the funniest on the topic for a while.

Why would you want a new (and unimplementable) tax introduced? People pay enough as it stands. As has been repeatedly explained, having people cycle rather than drive actually saves the state money.

I get it. You're young, idealistic and have all this stuff sorted out in your head. You think you pay a tax to use the road. You think everybody else should too. Its just not fair, is it? If you have an aul'l browse back through the thread, and the many others on the topic, you'll find lots of smart people explaining clearly to some slightly-less-than-smart-people, that use of the roads is free. You pay to use a vehicle with an engine on them. If you don't want to pay 'road' tax, maybe you should find an empty field and do your driving there.

Cyclists don't pay a tax because there is no tax due, and this is as it should be. I pay a motor tax. Some of this goes to pay for the upkeep and maintenance of infrastructure. Most of which doesn't. I also pay VAT on every purchase. Some of which goes to pay for the upkeep and maintenance of infrastructure. Again, most of which doesn't. There's no direct correlation between motor tax paid and roads, in the same way that there's no correlation between VAT paid on sweeties and welfare payments for dental work.

;)
    its so funny you cant keep away, like a fly on *****

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

I think there should be an expiry date/time on polls so they don't drag on and on and we can actually get a result from them.

I think there should be an expiry date/time on polls so they don't drag on and on and we can actually get a result from them.
    this one is valid for 7 days, so it started on 20th, so not too long left

• Registered Users Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

its so funny you cant keep away, like a fly on *****

Why did you start the thread, did you want a debate or did you just want replies that agree with you?

i have since changed my initial thread to stop any confusion
    Cool. There was no confusion though. Voted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

this one is valid for 7 days, so it started on 20th, so not too long left

Never saw that!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

;)

Best reply yet! Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Leaving aside the 'road tax/motor tax' splitting hairs.

I'm a driver/walker and, to me, it's obvious that people shouldn't pay to cycle. They take up far less resources in terms of wear and tear on roads, policing, pollution, HSE expense to deal with injuries. Aside from the fact that a healthy lifestyle involving exercise such as cycling means people are less likely to weigh on the public purse after picking up obesity-related diseases.

Lunatics like the helmet-cammed man featured in a recent thread, and people who cycler dangerously should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Beyond that, we should encourage people to cycle as much as possible.*

*yes, my stance is a little hypocritical, but I spend my travelling time listening to podcasts and audiobooks, and can't really do that safely on a bike.

Why did you start the thread, did you want a debate or did you just want replies that agree with you?
    well initialy i was bored, but recently, since because i didnt see the other previous poll on the subject i was interested to see the result of the poll, remember its supposed to be a poll with 3 choices, yes , no or a chance to explain a different choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

well initialy i was bored, but recently, since because i didnt see the other previous poll on the subject i was interested to see the result of the poll, remember its supposed to be a poll with 3 choices, yes , no or a chance to explain a different choice.

Fair enough, you just came across as a little tetchy with replies that didn't agree with you. (FWIW you should be advised that generally when you start a thread the people who agree with you will just nod and maybe click thanks, whereas the people who disagree will be incentivised to post, so you need a thick skin).

FWIW I think the pro-tax side have a mental picture of the man/woman who cycles to work every day come rain or sun. And don't see why a €50/€100/€200 tax is unreasonable for the facilities they are provided.

Whereas most of us who cycle are once/twice/thrice a week cyclists (sad to admit I'd say in my case it's less than 20 times a year, I'm the ultimate fair weather cyclist) who drive or get public transport the rest of the week or during winter or when it rains or when its too hot or when they couldn't be arsed. And thus we do actually 'pay our way'.

So its immediately problematical to see how you could pitch a cycle tax at a fair level to cater for the 'normal cyclist', but not too low that the income would actually be less than the cost of collection.

Stephen, the poll was flawed from the start. You omitted an option for cyclists who drive a car or bike. 'Other. Please explain' doesn't account for this.

I drive and pay motor tax. I've no problem with this. I cycle and pay no direct tax for the privilege, and don't think I should.

Where's my option? It would also apply to many who responded.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

LOL

I'll say it again. Trucks do way more damage.

Trucks are allowed 5,000Kg per wheel. This is 100 times more than a combination of bike and rider of 100Kg. 4th power means that the truck will do 100,000,000 times as much damage per wheel, take the number of wheels into account and it's closer to half a billion times as much damage.

€5,195 divided half a billion ways is pretty close to zero.

Update on HGV's weight increases

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/1986/02/19/00046.asp In 1983, regulations were made providing for a very significant increase in the maximum permissible gross vehicle weight from 32 tons to 38 tonnes (37.4 tons) for a five or six axle articulated truck or road train,

http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Your-Vehicle/Vehicle-Standards/Weights--Dimensions-/46-tonne-weight-limit/ From 1st April 2013 six axle (3+3) articulated vehicle combinations will be allowed operate at a gross combination weight of 46 tonnes.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/cyclists-in-dublin-double-survey-1.1254789
    Nearly one in every 10 (8.8 per cent) of journeys taken in the capital now is on a bike, the latest figures show. So yeah cyclists are reducing drving and parking congestion by a good bit.

Just from working this out, for every 1 cent you charged a bicycle per wheel, you'd have to charge a truck €20,000,000 per axle? Did I do that math right?

Stephen, the poll was flawed from the start. You omitted an option for cyclists who drive a car or bike. 'Other. Please explain' doesn't account for this.

I drive and pay motor tax. I've no problem with this. I cycle and pay no direct tax for the privilege, and don't think I should.

ok so what does other cover?

what about an option for people who drive, cycle, then use a wheelbarrow? if you want ridiculous options, then you should start your own poll. or do you just prefer to split hairs and argue useless information, to make up for your own shortcomings?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

what about an option for people who drive, cycle, then use a wheelbarrow? if you want ridiculous options, then you should start your own poll. or do you just prefer to split hairs and argue useless information, to make up for your own shortcomings?

Mod:

Less of this personal crap please, you can't expect people to take your thread seriously if you're going to throw insults like that.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭peterjmaxwell

I don't think cyclist's should pay "road tax" but let's say a tax on cyclists was introduced and I paid this tax to use the road, do you think it would change motorist's opinions and that I could cycle about town and take my place as a tax paying road user without fear of maniac drivers with a chip on their shoulder?

I think some motorists need the crutch of "cyclists don't pay road tax so I have more rights than them" as seen by the recent emmaway20 tweets. It'd just be another excuse to treat cyclists as second rate road users.

K-9 wrote: »
    Mod:

Less of this personal crap please, you can't expect people to take your thread seriously if you're going to throw insults like that.

S'ok. It hasn't been taken seriously since post #001

Do you just prefer to split hairs and argue useless information point out inaccuracies and argue rationally using fact as opposed to factoid, to make up for your own shortcomings demonstrate the weakness of the opposing argument?
    FYP. No charge.

;)

My answer would be 'yes'. To your amended post.

• Advertisement

FYP. No charge.

;)

My answer would be 'yes'. To your amended post.
    so you actually mean yes to my previous post by just proving yourself again, as the class clown, clowning loudly
    empty vessels making the most noise, i understand now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement