Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Should Cyclists Pay Road Tax

12345679»

Comments

  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭ stephen97


    stephen97 wrote: »
    so you actually mean yes to my previous post by just proving yourself again, as the class clown
    i just got what the cl was , no charge endaCL


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,829 ✭✭✭✭ endacl


    stephen97 wrote: »
    so you actually mean yes to my previous post by just proving yourself again, as the class clown, clowning loudly
    Did your keyboard just fart?


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭ stephen97


    endacl wrote: »
    Did your keyboard just fart?
    you recognize your own scent, how adorable


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 oldyouth


    Assuming the OP means Motor Tax, then No, I don't think cyclists should pay. To argue otherwise would be to suggest that motor tax is in some way related to road construction and maintenance, when the truth is that it is just another general tax


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,829 ✭✭✭✭ endacl


    stephen97 wrote: »
    you recognize your own scent, how adorable
    OK, I'll let this thread go now.

    I'll just point out first that, as others have already, acting like a stroppy kid when people don't agree with you is never going to reflect well on you. Worse again when they disagree, and go to the trouble of pointing out the flaws and fallacies in your line of thinking, that you have toddleresque tantrums. It was pointed out many times on this thread why your arguments were wrong. In fact the very premise upon which you built your argument was wrong. As the discussion developed, and tangents were explored, you didn't engage much. You took everything personally and finished up with outbursts more suited to the playground . AH in particular tends to be a bit merciless when this attitude is presented. Maybe you were looking for the 'People who agree with me forum'? I've been wrong on Boards plenty of times. I find the best course of action to be either gracious acknowledgement or just saying nothing. Grownups respect that. I'll admit, I did pull the pi55 out of you just a bit, but in fairness you were asking for it. And you made it very easy.

    I'll leave it there. If you can't converse with grownups, maybe you'd be more at home on twitter?


  • Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭ stephen97


    endacl wrote: »
    OK, I'll let this thread go now.

    I'll just point out first that, as others have already, acting like a stroppy kid when people don't agree with you is never going to reflect well on you. Worse again when they disagree, and go to the trouble of pointing out the flaws and fallacies in your line of thinking, that you have toddleresque tantrums. It was pointed out many times on this thread why your arguments were wrong. In fact the very premise upon which you built your argument was wrong. As the discussion developed, and tangents were explored, you didn't engage much. You took everything personally and finished up with outbursts more suited to the playground . AH in particular tends to be a bit merciless when this attitude is presented. Maybe you were looking for the 'People who agree with me forum'? I've been wrong on Boards plenty of times. I find the best course of action to be either gracious acknowledgement or just saying nothing. Grownups respect that. I'll admit, I did pull the pi55 out of you just a bit, but in fairness you were asking for it. And you made it very easy.

    I'll leave it there. If you can't converse with grownups, maybe you'd be more at home on twitter?
    cool, go back to your toilet humour and fart jokes, and if they dont work you can always steal another opinion, that isn't your own,


  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ Irlandczyk


    stephen97 wrote: »
    cool, go back to your toilet humour and fart jokes, and if they dont work you can always steal another opinion, that isn't your own,

    I'm sorry, but what are you actually talking about? Why are you taking cheap digs at people who disagree with your line of thinking? Listen for a bit, mull other people's opinions over in your head for a bit, and you might learn something. Least it can do is open your mind up just a little.

    Personally, I'm not entirely sure what your argument is at this point. This needless throwing of faeces over the last few posts has sorta brought the whole thread down a bit. I vote no, anyway. I don't believe cyclists should pay tax when they already bring so many benefits - economically speaking.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,171 af_thefragile


    No! What next, tax for walking?!


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭ stephen97


    Irlandczyk wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but what are you actually talking about? Why are you taking cheap digs at people who disagree with your line of thinking? Listen for a bit, mull other people's opinions over in your head for a bit, and you might learn something. Least it can do is open your mind up just a little.

    Personally, I'm not entirely sure what your argument is at this point. This needless throwing of faeces over the last few posts has sorta brought the whole thread down a bit. I vote no, anyway. I don't believe cyclists should pay tax when they already bring so many benefits - economically speaking.
    well you are one of the few who actually read the instructions and voted, yes the poll has not gone as intended but i will know in future. thanks for your vote


  • Registered Users Posts: 42,735 ✭✭✭✭ K-9


    stephen97 wrote: »
    so you actually mean yes to my previous post by just proving yourself again, as the class clown, clowning loudly
    empty vessels making the most noise, i understand now

    Mod:

    Banned for continuously ignoring cards and on thread warnings.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭ LordSutch


    No! What next, tax for walking?!

    A tax for skate boards?

    No No NO,

    Cycling stays free of Tax.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,852 ✭✭✭ SeanW


    I don't think cyclist's should pay "road tax" but let's say a tax on cyclists was introduced and I paid this tax to use the road, do you think it would change motorist's opinions and that I could cycle about town and take my place as a tax paying road user without fear of maniac drivers with a chip on their shoulder?

    I think some motorists need the crutch of "cyclists don't pay road tax so I have more rights than them" as seen by the recent emmaway20 tweets. It'd just be another excuse to treat cyclists as second rate road users.
    I pay a very punishing rate of road tax applied to me for no real reason but I don't disrespect cyclists on the road. Emma Way is a [email protected]#%ing twat who should at minimum have her license suspended for a very long time. And I say this as a proud motorist who feels no need to apologise or justify my motoring to anyone.

    My innate sense of natural justice tells me that you as a cyclist shouldn't have to be regulated or taxed too much (just enough to prevent egregious lawbreaking like cycling on footpaths and cutting off other road users) but the attitude that I've gotten from some in the cycling fraternity indicates that the same element of common sense should not be returned to motorists.

    There is one poster on boards who I am increasingly beginning to believe is representative of the cycling fraternity, who is constantly moaning about how everything is too motorist "centric" and wants new houses to be built to car-hostile designs, wants road laws affecting motorists to be enforced with an iron rod and be continuously more expensive and onerous. Said individual has highly extreme views about speed limits (as just one area) making claims that there is no such thing as safe speeding and that the only reasons a motorist could ever exceed one is through carelessness or recklessness. When I pointed out that this might not always be true, such as grade separated dual carriageways with 30kph (18.5MPH) speed limits or HQDCs with 50kph speed limits, I got the sense that he/she would rather choke than admit his extreme views might have even the slightest caveat, this while constantly downplaying lawbreaking by cyclists and pedestrians.

    It should come as no surprise that said individual was on this thread in the cycling forum, bitched and moaned bitterly and like the crazy fundamentalist that he is about the misuse of the term "Road Tax." In the same thread he also (hypocritcially) accused motorists of having a sense of entitlement and believing that motorists think cyclists use the roads at the pleasure of motorists (When it's clear that the only sense of entitlement is his and he thinks that motorists should only be allowed to use the roads ad the pleasure of cyclist fruitcakes like him).

    Knowing that cyclists harbour such burning deep seated hatred for motorists means I have to maintain every bit of my humanity not, in turn, to become hateful of and abusive towards cyclists, and fortunately I am quite successful at this, for the most part. I still feel somewhere deep down that it is possible to make road policy and infrastructure that works for everyone, public transport, cyclists, pedestrians and motorists, equally well. But the more I hear from cyclists the more I'm beginning to think that it's a binary choice between making things easier for cyclists and easier for motorists. Though physically and logistically it should be possible to do both, the "us-and-them" mentality of anti car extremists makes this impossible by policy.

    Nowadays I like to use the term ROAD TAX just to piss of crazy cycling fanatics. I don't care if it's not the proper legal term, it's a tax a lot of us have to pay to use the roads (depsite as little as 1/3 of it going to roads)

    ROAD TAX, ROAD TAX, ROAD TAX, pay some f***ing ROAD TAX!!! :P


This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement