Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Cyclists Pay Road Tax

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Has this thread been moved to the kindergarten forum on the QT?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Eejits? That's a bit harsh.

Anyway, you shouldn't be on the road. Foot-powered vehicles should be on the foot path, but I don't hold that against you, that's the government's fault I guess. :rolleyes:

Idiot.

Bikes have more of a right to the Roads than cars. Plus you do know that it's illegal to cycle or use any road vehicle on the foot paths, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Please explain

You need a licence to drive on our roads dumbass

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Please explain
    Everybody has the 'right' to use the road. Drivers are licensed for the 'privilege' of using motor powered vehicles on them.

Seriously? You need this explained?

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Stephen-mx3

Seaneh wrote: »
    You are less than clueless.
    ezra_pound wrote: »
    Idiot.

Bikes have more of a right to the Roads than cars. Plus you do know that it's illegal to cycle or use any road vehicle on the foot paths, right?

Reported :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Inot the one getting wound up, i gave my opinion on this that that cyclists should have their bike mandatory chip to help the up keep of the cycle lanes your the one who is ranting and raving.
    Dude! Commas! That reads like you're dribbling!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

All of the above do not use our roads.

Really, I crossed a good couple of roads today, I must have flown. There is a little kid right outside my house on the road on her bike. She is five I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

That is nearly as stupid as the op.
    Well done stupido!
    The government want about five times as many people cycling as there currently are so I think that they're willing to improve cycling facilities without penalising cyclists.

Another idiot!
    OMG. This is so stupid! Do you want these cyclists to drive instead in rush hourand make traffic worse? Idiot. Plus cyclists cannot be charged to use the roads only motor vehicles can. Idiot.
    OMG. You are a retard.
    Idiot.

Mod

Wow, you are an angry chap.

Warned/infracted/banned. In that order.

I don't know how cyclists v Motorists threads sometimes turn in to all out war.

Can we keep it civil from here please.

Oh right, we're getting into sensationalism.

I was just trying to convey an honest opinion, no need to be sarcastic. For people that primarily use the roads as an unavoidable service, there should be charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

I do pay to use the roads, everyone does, even pedestrians (shock horror!).

Do you think motor tax actually covers the cost of providing and maintaining our transport infrastructure? Get a clue. Everyone, through every piece of tax they pay, contributes to the cost of our roads. Motorists contribute LESS through motor tax than the COST in damage.

When they "pay their way" then get back to me, yeah? Sound.

Now lie down peckle, you're getting fierce wound up about somehting you don't even understand.

And smokers were another example (like motorists) of people who make choices which cost far more than they contribute and are then subsidised by the rest of us.

Where did you see that motorists cost more than they pay in motor tax? Which is before the 50%+ of fuel costs that goes to the government.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I was just trying to convey an honest opinion, no need to be sarcastic. For people that primarily use the roads as an unavoidable service, there should be charges.
    Taking that logic to the extreme cyclists should be paid to use the roads.

Because cyclists use vehicles that do negligable damage to the road surface ( 4th power of axle loading, one HGV does more damage than 100,000,000 cyclists ) and more importantly by reducing the number of cars / buses on the road they actually cause reduce the overall damage done. Similar story with parking.

Car parking meters break even wrt to repairs to pavements caused by illegal parking/kerbing.

Remember when held up by a cyclist that every cyclist you see would otherwise mean another car on the road and so you'd be another 10 -30m further back

But every single HGV on the road is a neccesity

They only became so because we ripped up our extensive rail network. We don't do infrastructure well here.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'm cool with it as long as pedestrians have to pay a footpath tax. Those feckers get all that free infrastructure for nothing.

endacl wrote: »
    They only became so because we ripped up our extensive rail network. We don't do infrastructure well here.

Agree, but those are the cards we've been dealt.

Also, currently, HGV drivers/companies pay infinite times as much as cyclists in road tax

I'm cool with it as long as pedestrians have to pay a footpath tax. Those feckers get all that free infrastructure for nothing.
    And an arse tax for sitting on a bench in Stephen's Green.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Reported :rolleyes:

Why was my post reported...

You are less than clueless.

Also, currently, HGV drivers/companies pay infinite times as much as cyclists in road tax
    Motor tax? Nobody pays a penny in road tax...

Mods, could 'road tax' please be added to the list of banned phrases? It would shorten these daft threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

They should pay insurance in case they scratch my car whilst sneaking up the inside curb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭A0

stephen97 wrote: »
    i say yes, motorcyclists have to pay and receive no benefits in terms of parking, bus lanes. but cyclists get cycle lanes and parking places without contributing

I say no.

• Advertisement

DanWall wrote: »
    They should pay insurance in case they scratch my car whilst sneaking up the inside curb
    You should leave space. For the other road users. That's what I do when I'm driving. I appreciate it when I'm cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

I don't think that cyclists should pay motor tax because they do take cars off the road and they don't add to pollution.

I don't have the option to cycle to work as I have a round trip of 90 kms a day. Sometimes people in cars are mean to cyclists. I think the bottom line is that we need to respect all road users - pedestrians, cyclists and motorists.
    I hate having to pay road tax but it's life.

In one way I would argue that we should stop the begrudgery - ok I pay road tax because I drive a car but why inflict that on cyclists and pedestrians.

Just a question, do they charge cyclists in any other country?

Aineoil wrote: »
    I don't have the option to cycle to work as I have a round trip of 90 kms a day.
    Yeah you do. You're just lazy!

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Nobody pays road tax, everyone pays tax, some of which is put towards the roads though.

Nobody pays road tax, everyone pays tax, some of which is put towards the roads though.
    I believe Bono doesn't! I read about it on d'internet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No they aren't.

They should only be used on motorways / ports / industrial areas / distribution centres. Local deliveries in other areas should be by smaller vehicles.

Look at the way the tonnage has crept up over the years, including the supertrucks and port tunnel. Even for a long time afterwards the only tall trucks I saw were ones with the top section looking like it was riveted on as an afterthought.

A lot of the stuff in those trucks is excess packaging much of which only exists for marketing purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Katunga wrote: »
    as due to the weight of a bicycle does not cause any ware to the roads. I say this as a motorist.

Are you sure abt that??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

endacl wrote: »
    Yeah you do. You're just lazy!

:D

I am up at six as it is!!! Yeah you know I am lazy!;) :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭stephen97

Are you sure abt that??
    omg where is the saddle? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

No, they don't.

They do pay tax, what makes you think motorbikes owner do not pay motor tax?

I wish we didn't, but we do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement