Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Provincial Schools thread 2012-2013 *MOD WARNING POST 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

CGD wrote: »
    No way the Michael's lads are ready for 1a rugby! No matter what they are being told strange move for them

I wasn't talking about 1a. I'm talking about the Connacht senior team, who academy and sub academy players train with. Luke McGrath was training with the Leinster team just out of school last year.

Plus it is incredibly common to play 1a/1b just out of school. Shane Layden (Buccaneers), Tadhg Leader (Galwegian amd capped for Connacht), Darragh Leader (Galwegians and capped for Connacht), Robbie Henshaw (Connacht), Tiernan O'Halloran (Galwegians and capped for Connacht), Aaron Connelly (Corinthians 2a). I'm more shocked if Michaels players don't play 1a/1b rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭KJY

its_phil wrote: »
    There you go now stfu ;)

Plenty of similarities between that squad and the Galwegians 2011 Under 17 squad. By some distance the best team at that level I'd ever seen

http://clubhouse.irishrugby.ie/23047.php

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭CGD

its_phil wrote: »
    I wasn't talking about 1a. I'm talking about the Connacht senior team, who academy and sub academy players train with. Luke McGrath was training with the Leinster team just out of school last year.

Plus it is incredibly common to play 1a/1b just out of school. Shane Layden (Buccaneers), Tadhg Leader (Galwegian amd capped for Connacht), Darragh Leader (Galwegians and capped for Connacht), Robbie Henshaw (Connacht), Tiernan O'Halloran (Galwegians and capped for Connacht), Aaron Connelly (Corinthians 2a). I'm more shocked if Michaels players don't play 1a/1b rugby.

Should have clarified and said the 2 guys going from Michaels to Mary's both front rows, saw plenty of them this year good players but need a bit of time to develop befor they are ready for 1a plenty of lads ready for 1a such as Dardis, McKeown, Sean O'Brien etc, etc but most need time and especially front rows to devolop. Byrne from Clongowes the prop was ready as well but he is the exception rather tan the rule

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Blackrock won school of the year award at Leinster awards tonight and Pats Navan won Special Merit School of the year award

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Leinster5

Should have clarified and said the 2 guys going from Michaels to Mary's both front rows, saw plenty of them this year good players but need a bit of time to develop befor they are ready for 1a plenty of lads ready for 1a such as Dardis, McKeown, Sean O'Brien etc, etc but most need time and especially front rows to devolop. Byrne from Clongowes the prop was ready as well but he is the exception rather tan the rule
    Coulson and Allen would easily manage to play AIL rugby in my opinion. They obviously wouldn't start, but I could see them being apart of the match day squad on a regular basis. Especially since both of them are likely to be involved in the Leinster u20 squad in August and September.

• Advertisement

Leinster5 wrote: »
    Coulson and Allen would easily manage to play AIL rugby in my opinion. They obviously wouldn't start, but I could see them being apart of the match day squad on a regular basis. Especially since both of them are likely to be involved in the Leinster u20 squad in August and September.

Mary's are 1a and they are not ready for that level yet not sure they will make Leinster 20's final cut

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Creeby

I hope to see both involved with 20s. Really liked their skills around the park and scrummaging wasn't a problem either. All the signs of modern day front rows

Creeby wrote: »
    I hope to see both involved with 20s. Really liked their skills around the park and scrummaging wasn't a problem either. All the signs of modern day front rows
    Another 5-7 players in the same bracket size might go against them when u look at the the others coming thru but only speculation at this point until they get into it in the. Summer!

Coulson's carrying was by far the most dynamic in this years cup out of all the props on show. If he can improve his scrummaging he should be a fine player. And as for Allen, he was the best hooker in this year's competition by a country mile. I'd be very surprised if they both don't make the 23. I could even see Allen pushing Delahunt for a starting place.

As for the Division 1 argument, I think the earlier schoolboy players are thrown into AIL rugby, the better. Just look at UCD's win yesterday against Shannon, all of those UCD players bar 2, have only been out of school between the last 1-4 years. Billy Dardis, Harrison Brewer & a few Roscrea players(from what I've been told by their coach) should find themselves playing AIL rugby this time next year.

Coulson's carrying was by far the most dynamic in this years cup out of all the props on show. If he can improve his scrummaging he should be a fine player. And as for Allen, he was the best hooker in this year's competition by a country mile. I'd be very surprised if they both don't make the 23. I could even see Allen pushing Delahunt for a starting place.

As for the Division 1 argument, I think the earlier schoolboy players are thrown into AIL rugby, the better. Just look at UCD's win yesterday against Shannon, all of those UCD players bar 2, have only been out of school between the last 1-4 years. Billy Dardis, Harrison Brewer & a few Roscrea players(from what I've been told by their coach) should find themselves playing AIL rugby this time next year.

Over 80% of that UCD team played at least a year of 21's before moving into senior team including Luke McGrath who didn't play which kind of proves my point. Not really interested in a debate just putting my view across as you are. Answer won't be known for a few months yet

• Advertisement

Over 80% of that UCD team played at least a year of 21's before moving into senior team including Luke McGrath who didn't play which kind of proves my point. Not really interested in a debate just putting my view across as you are. Answer won't be known for a few months yet
    Luke McGrath wasn't allowed play due to Leinster needing him. But I see where your coming from. In a few months we'll have a better idea, because in some cases, players just lose interest in playing at a high level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

I think it is compulsory that they play one year of 21's. I remember a mate of mine a couple years back committing to UCD thinking he was going to be playing AIL and they told him he had to play 21's before. So he left and joined Seapoint in AIL 2A which was the same division UCD were in at the time instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 paratro

Hagz wrote: »
    Is Rory Parata any relation to Andrew Parata?

Are you talking Andrew Parata from Porirua. He was a singer.

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Is Ross Byrne that good? Academy straight out of school? Fair play to him if he has, but I don't see it.

Rory Parata has signed an Academy contract with Connacht and he is doing his leaving cert this year. He also got 20 minutes in the re-scheduled B&I cup game for the eagles against Newport.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

paratro wrote: »
    Rory Parata has signed an Academy contract with Connacht and he is doing his leaving cert this year. He also got 20 minutes in the re-scheduled B&I cup game for the eagles against Newport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE7dwi2zNLU
    think he means that andrew parata.
    and any idea who else is going in?

lurtz wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE7dwi2zNLU
    think he means that andrew parata.
    and any idea who else is going in?

Your right there. And yes he is related but distant. Goes back about 4 generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DaraOC

Michael Triggs , flanker from Kilkenny is in the 20s squad as well as that massive Kilkenny winger , can't remember his name but he is a good player , great try against black rock this year . Stephen Gardiner is definitely in the squad too , it's good to see some country blood in there . A lot of back rows in there this year with leavy , O'Neill , moloney, Timmons Triggs Murphy and others ?

DaraOC wrote: »
    Michael Triggs , flanker from Kilkenny is in the 20s squad as well as that massive Kilkenny winger , can't remember his name but he is a good player , great try against black rock this year . Stephen Gardiner is definitely in the squad too , it's good to see some country blood in there . A lot of back rows in there this year with leavy , O'Neill , moloney, Timmons Triggs Murphy and others ?

good to know. simon williams is the lad you're thinking of. sam sterling is gone to munster for 20s

good to know. simon williams is the lad you're thinking of. sam sterling is gone to munster for 20s
    Well Sam is from Nenagh. good to see that he will be back in Munster set up. Hopefully he gets involved with us at AIL level next season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

ormond lad wrote: »
    Well Sam is from Nenagh. good to see that he will be back in Munster set up. Hopefully he gets involved with us at AIL level next season

What are Nenagh mens like? Would he start AIL?

• Advertisement

What are Nenagh mens like? Would he start AIL?
    Strong division 2B side looking for promotion to 2A. Don't think he would start but it would really depend on if Nenagh lose many players for next season whether he would get a look in

ormond lad wrote: »
    Strong division 2B side looking for promotion to 2A. Don't think he would start but it would really depend on if Nenagh lose many players for next season whether he would get a look in

Probably better to play a bit of 21's whatever part of the country he goes to college in and then head back to Nenagh with a solid year behind him and. Chance to develop further

Who will be seen as favourites for the u18 and u20 Interpro's this year ? I reckon the Leinster u18's will dominate with the likes of Timoney, Ryan and Co. Not sure about the u20's though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭Ruck Inspector

Who will be seen as favourites for the u18 and u20 Interpro's this year ? I reckon the Leinster u18's will dominate with the likes of Timoney, Ryan and Co. Not sure about the u20's though.

Timoney u19 next year

u18: hard to know really. safe bet is Leinster
    u19: Leinster probably, although depends how many guys skip u19.
    u20: Leinster maybe, although depends how many guys skip u19.

Timoney u19 next year

u18: hard to know really. safe bet is Leinster
    u19: Leinster probably, although depends how many guys skip u19.
    u20: Leinster maybe, although depends how many guys skip u19.

at u19 level they might well suffer the loss of most of their best players
    at u20 connacht have strengthened their squad this year with some new players coming in and look very strong,that said theyve gone from 5 to 3 days a week

at u19 level they might well suffer the loss of most of their best players
    at u20 connacht have strengthened their squad this year with some new players coming in and look very strong,that said theyve gone from 5 to 3 days a week
    From what I've been told, Leinster are doing 4 pitch sessions a week and 3 gym sessions. That's a pretty tough schedule, especially for students over the Summer

From what I've been told, Leinster are doing 4 pitch sessions a week and 3 gym sessions. That's a pretty tough schedule, especially for students over the Summer

Do they get any money for it?

Also at what stage do they start?

No don't and squads start full training in July

they train 5 days a week,usually twice a day and then videos and meetings etc,even worse in pre season.
    No money received,training starts first week of july for pre season and continues til september for interpros

• Advertisement

Not sure where to put this but apparently Harrison Brewer played the season needing surgery, getting his op today

Advertisement