Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Provincial Schools thread 2012-2013 *MOD WARNING POST 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭CGD

With Van Der Flier moving on from 21's, and there will be absences throughout the year with Timmons gone for both interpros and Ireland 20's. There is certainly an opportunity for a backrower, especially one as good as Moloney to get in there. The number of players used by UCD and Lansdowne this season was massive.

Leavy and Gilsean still there among others that didn't get a look in this year, Timmons will play plenty as well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

CGD wrote: »
    Leavy and Gilsean still there among others that didn't get a look in this year, Timmons will play plenty as well

Leavy was injured most of the year and assuming he is healthy next year will be spending more time with the Leinster and Ireland 20s teams.

Leavy was injured most of the year and assuming he is healthy next year will be spending more time with the Leinster and Ireland 20s teams.

They will be there for the start of the 21 season and miss games between January and March and willl be around for the end of the league, All Ireland, McCorry etc

My opinion is that back rows with ambition won't get ahead of them or get a chance to compete for an Irish 20's spot plenty of other clubs for them to go to where they will start and get a chance to impress and not be pushed aside when the great ones such as Leavy and co return and better for rugby in general if all the top ads aren't in the same club or college competing against each other when they could be tars on other teams

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

CGD wrote: »
    They will be there for the start of the 21 season and miss games between January and March and willl be around for the end of the league, All Ireland, McCorry etc

My opinion is that back rows with ambition won't get ahead of them or get a chance to compete for an Irish 20's spot plenty of other clubs for them to go to where they will start and get a chance to impress and not be pushed aside when the great ones such as Leavy and co return and better for rugby in general if all the top ads aren't in the same club or college competing against each other when they could be tars on other teams

Gilsenan plays mens, hasn't turned out for 21's all year, he's been injured for half the season anyway. The squad rotation in both big sides UCD and Lansdowne is massive. There's rarely the same 23 out there every weekend. People like Leavy haven't played that much all year for anyone really, be it Leinster or their club. Same with Tom Farrell in Lansdowne. The people who are on scholarships in colleges like trinity and ucd make up the minority, there's players there that play all season and do just as good a job as the person they seem to be "being pushed aside" for as you put it.

I wonder what will happen with Tom Farrell

• Advertisement

Gilsenan plays mens, hasn't turned out for 21's all year, he's been injured for half the season anyway. The squad rotation in both big sides UCD and Lansdowne is massive. There's rarely the same 23 out there every weekend. People like Leavy haven't played that much all year for anyone really, be it Leinster or their club. Same with Tom Farrell in Lansdowne. The people who are on scholarships in colleges like trinity and ucd make up the minority, there's players there that play all season and do just as good a job as the person they seem to be "being pushed aside" for as you put it.

Leavy and Farrell were injured most of the season but when fit they did both come on in the McCorry Final. Leavy destined for greatness in my opinion. Farrell will just have to start again and probably hope to play some 21's at the start and then kick on with the Lansdowne senior team and hope to get an academy spot.

By the way vey few of the ucd premier squad are not on some sort of scholarship and definetly not the majority as u say. People would be shocked at the ucd rugby budget but is now coming under a bit more scrutiny. Biggest day for ucd will be against Shannon this weekend where if they win their players will be able to push on and play at the top level with UCD in 1a as with so many academy players Leinster want them to be playing at the top level

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

I wonder what will happen with Tom Farrell

was offered an ospreys place the last two years but he's staying with the sub academy I hear

lurtz wrote: »
    was offered an ospreys place the last two years but he's staying with the sub academy I hear

Injury really hurt him this year, guess he is getting once more chance to make it at Leinster.

Hope he can get healthy and proves himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Creeby wrote: »
    Anybody else interested in seeing what club(s) the current 6th years in Terenure are going to next year? Would I be right in saying most past pupils join Terenure rfc but that club hasn't really been on par with the likes of Belvo, Landsdowne etc in recent times? Could be interesting

Terenure RFC are really on the way back up. Won several junior titles this year plus they won Div 2A and will be be playing Div 1B next year. Be good to see a few of this years SCT being integrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭TheTalk

Cian Kelleher a big loss to leinster IMO

• Advertisement

TheTalk wrote: »

nope, he was unlikely to ever get further than the 20s based on his performances in the last 12 months.

as a fullback, Dardis was clearly a level above him.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

What are Marys and Terenure like at 21s level ?? Seem to be very quiet last few years

TheTalk wrote: »

not 100% confirmed he's going yet
    What are Marys and Terenure like at 21s level ?? Seem to be very quiet last few years

Marys have been struggling recently because they rely on the strength of the school. Nure should be getting some good players in this season,had a good run in the mccorry cup this year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I heard a rumour that Ross Byrne has an academy contract too. And stories coming out of Blackrock say that nick Timoney has a sub academy spot with Leinster while still in school?

Bridge93 wrote: »
    I heard a rumour that Ross Byrne has an academy contract too. And stories coming out of Blackrock say that nick Timoney has a sub academy spot with Leinster while still in school?

as far as i know it;s impossible to have a sub-academy spot in school.

Bryne wouldn't be a surprise, but I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

as far as i know it;s impossible to have a sub-academy spot in school.

Bryne wouldn't be a surprise, but I doubt it.

That's what i thought, I've never heard of anyone in school being in any sort of academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Liveforrugby

Some guys here should consider coaching, seriously if you've ever played the game and you're obvious rugby enthusiasts to the point that you delve into it so deeply and enjoy it why not? I reckon you'd be successful, anyone here coach?

Leinster under-18 team from a few weeks back

1. Harry Redmond(Michaels)
    2. Jack Hutchinson(Belvo)
    3. (can't get a name or school for him)
    4. Jack Dwan(Blackrock)* (actually under-19)
    5. Rob Lalor(Terenure)
    6. Max Deegan(St. Michaels)
    7. Willie Connors(Clongowes)
    8. Greg Jones(Andrews)
    9. Mark Fogarty(Marys)
    10. Tommy Whittle(Gerrards)
    11. Nathan Delahunt(Newbridge)
    12. Jake Howlett(Newbridge)
    13. James Lappin(Clongowes)
    14. Terry Kennedy(Marys)
    15. Cillian Burke(Clongowes)
    16. Hugo Kean(Blackrock)
    17. David Molloy(Pres Bray)
    18. Martin Mulhall(Kilkenny)
    19. Tom Treacy(Newbridge)
    20. Ben Mahon(CBC Monkstown)
    21. Jimmy O'Brien(Newbridge)
    22. Con Callan(St. Gerrards)
    23. Jack Power(Blackrock)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Is Ross Byrne that good? Academy straight out of school? Fair play to him if he has, but I don't see it.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    That's what i thought, I've never heard of anyone in school being in any sort of academy.

Byrne along with a few other Michaels players have been offered Sub Academy, same with a few from Roscrea, Clongowes, Blackrock and Terenure all the names plus a few more that have been mentioned here.

Leinster have been in the schools talking to players on their radar and the likes of Tinoney will be on their radar but not while he is in school and not till next year he probably got a quick word to say just that and someone has funnily enough brought it to another level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Leinster5

Cian Kelleher isn't moving to Connacht, he'll be playing his rugby in Leinster this year.

Ross Byrne, Sean Coughlan, Jack O'Neill and Sebastian Fromm have been asked to play for Lansdowne next year.

Also, Denis Coulson and Richie Allen are set to play their rugby with St. Mary's next year according to a friend of mine who's involved in their coaching set-up. Strange move for those two, Mary's aren't known for their strong u21 level.

I'm also certain that most of Terenure's players for this year's SCT will either stop playing rugby or move on Terenure RFC and play for them.

Also hear that Sean O'Brien will be pushed straight into the Connacht first team set-up next year, which would be great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

Leinster5 wrote: »
    Cian Kelleher isn't moving to Connacht, he'll be playing his rugby in Leinster this year.

Ross Byrne, Sean Coughlan, Jack O'Neill and Sebastian Fromm have been asked to play for Lansdowne next year.

Also, Denis Coulson and Richie Allen are set to play their rugby with St. Mary's next year according to a friend of mine who's involved in their coaching set-up. Strange move for those two, Mary's aren't known for their strong u21 level.

I'm also certain that most of Terenure's players for this year's SCT will either stop playing rugby or move on Terenure RFC and play for them.

Also hear that Sean O'Brien will be pushed straight into the Connacht first team set-up next year, which would be great to see.

Any news on who else is going to Marys and Terenure ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Cian Kelleher isn't moving to Connacht, he'll be playing his rugby in Leinster this year

Well he appears to have committed seen as he is on their roster

its_phil wrote: »

Really? I would be suprised at that with Henshaw and Leyden both very young and ahead of him. He may pay Connacht 20's but that would be it I would think, it would get him exposure for Irish 20's and wouldn't be the worst route to take as he will be behind Dardis in Leinster for the 20's

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Liveforrugby

tits link or gtfo :D

tits link or gtfo :D

There you go now stfu ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Leinster under-18 team from a few weeks back

1. Harry Redmond(Michaels)
    2. Jack Hutchinson(Belvo)
    3. (can't get a name or school for him)
    4. Jack Dwan(Blackrock)* (actually under-19)
    5. Rob Lalor(Terenure)
    6. Max Deegan(St. Michaels)
    7. Willie Connors(Clongowes)
    8. Greg Jones(Andrews)
    9. Mark Fogarty(Marys)
    10. Tommy Whittle(Gerrards)
    11. Nathan Delahunt(Newbridge)
    12. Jake Howlett(Newbridge)
    13. James Lappin(Clongowes)
    14. Terry Kennedy(Marys)
    15. Cillian Burke(Clongowes)
    16. Hugo Kean(Blackrock)
    17. David Molloy(Pres Bray)
    18. Martin Mulhall(Kilkenny)
    19. Tom Treacy(Newbridge)
    20. Ben Mahon(CBC Monkstown)
    21. Jimmy O'Brien(Newbridge)
    22. Con Callan(St. Gerrards)
    23. Jack Power(Blackrock)

Eric O'Sullivan Templeouge was tighthead.

very very interesting is this from a reliable source?

the lads going to marys have probably been told they'll be in the 1sts squad

I know hes on their roster but Ive also heard hes staying with leinster and the name on the roster is a mistake

lurtz wrote: »
    very very interesting is this from a reliable source?

the lads going to marys have probably been told they'll be in the 1sts squad

I know hes on their roster but Ive also heard hes staying with leinster and the name on the roster is a mistake

The only way to know if SOB is moving to seniors is when the pre-season games come around. The sub-academy and academy players train with seniors a good bit during summer. I highly doubt it because Connacht have got some excellent second rows and back rows for next year too. Maybe the next year. Connacht 20s will be very focused on winning the title this year and go two from three

Pity if its true about Kelleher not joining.

• Advertisement

The only way to know if SOB is moving to seniors is when the pre-season games come around. The sub-academy and academy players train with seniors a good bit during summer. I highly doubt it because Connacht have got some excellent second rows and back rows for next year too. Maybe the next year. Connacht 20s will be very focused on winning the title this year and go two from three

Pity if its true about Kelleher not joining.

No way the Michael's lads are ready for 1a rugby! No matter what they are being told strange move for them

Advertisement