Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maggie Thatcher dead - Mega merge thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Fair enough Seachmall. Seems reasonable but it does allow even for this level of cruelty/stupidity:

It would be cruel to tell her that if she were alive and if it were undeserved.

Whether or not it is deserved is a personal opinion but I think it accurately represents a large portion of those who were affected by her politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

pmcmahon wrote: »
    I wonder if we'll have a minutes applause in the manchester derby tonight.

Potentially not.
    Rob Harris ‏@RobHarris
    Premier League won't be asking clubs to hold minute's silence for #Thatcher at matches

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Good night sweet princess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

I seem to remember the BBC carrying reports that Downing Street had already formed the opinion that Thatcher be given a state funeral.

Seems that will not happen, and instead she will have a public ceremonial funeral.

It's almost the same thing, but doesn't require a potentially embarrassing vote in Parliament (embarrassing mainly for her family, should Labour refuse to support it).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

true wrote: »
    +1. In the 1980's whole classes of Irish school leavers emigrated to England to work , to her economy, when there was flip all here. A great woman. If only people had listened to her about Europe we would not be in this mess.

And she was proved right on the IRA in the end, just like she was proved right on communism. .

She was proved right on SFA. Repeating the same thing over and over - as you've a tendency to do - will not have the effect of some spell and make it true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Martina Anderson will be having a good chuckle in Brussells as the Tories cry their hearts out :)

having a good chuckle because a stroke 30 years later managed to accomplish something she and her blood-stained, child-killing cronies could not do?

sounds a great woman....

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

not yet wrote: »
    She signed the death warrant for Sean Savage, Mariead Farrell and Danny mcCann in 1988 Gibraltar.....

So fact they chose there death sentence.
    They were fecking terrorist's and got exactly what they deserved

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

awec wrote: »
    I'm sure the irony here is lost on nobody, plenty of communities in Britain were devastated by IRA bombs. Like her or not, disagree with her policies or not, but Gerry Adams making such a statement is laughable.

+1. I know plenty of working class people who stood up to Gerry Adams , and who emigrated to England in the 1980's and who got work there and were treated fairly and well there. Shame on Gerry Adams, but then again what do you expect from a pig but a grunt?

Johnny Foreigner having to come and show the Brits how it's done.

just like the entire irish economy then....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Muilleann wrote: »

History will remember her for phrases such as "There is no society" (she was very wrong in saying that) but it will also remember her for being a conviction politician and there are not too many of them around anymore.

Read the whole thing and she is right

"I think we've been through a period where too many people have been given to understand that if they have a problem, it's the government's job to cope with it. 'I have a problem, I'll get a grant.' 'I'm homeless, the government must house me.' They're casting their problem on society. And, you know, there is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first. It's our duty to look after ourselves and then, also to look after our neighbour. People have got the entitlements too much in mind, without the obligations. There's no such thing as entitlement, unless someone has first met an obligation."

What is the difference between that and Kennedys Ask not what your country can do for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Anynama141

She signed the death warrant for Sean Savage, Mariead Farrell and Danny mcCann in 1988 Gibraltar.....

So Mrs Thatcher rot in hell.
    Let me get this straight once and for all: Are you not allowed to kill enemy soldiers in a war??

I don't hear you bleating about the British soldiers that the IRA killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

She accomplished a great feat in uniting the Irish and British working class.

In mutual hatred of her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

She's talking to other dictators, such as Stalin, Pol Pot and Hitler right about now I'd reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Emm, yes it does. Decent human beings do not speak ill of the dead. There is a reason that taboo is passed into our culture.

it doesn't - how ridiculous, and hypocritical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Many quotes to sum her up but one that sticks out is

'' She wrecked a large % of the country to make a small % happy '' .

She ruined a lot of industry ,put thousands out of work was only to happy to accept the original official report on the Hillsborough tragedy and described as cold and lacking in empathy .

Meryl Streep portrayed her very well in The Iron Lady .

http://www.imdb.co.uk/title/tt1007029/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Azure_sky wrote: »
    She's talking to other dictators, such as Stalin, Pol Pot and Hitler right about now I'd reckon.
    Why would they be in heaven?

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Latchy wrote: »
    Many quotes to sum her up but one that sticks out is

'' She wrecked a large % of the country to make a small % happy '' .

She ruined a lot of industry ,put thousands out of work was only to happy to accept the original official report on the Hillsborough tragedy and described as cold and lacking in empathy .

Meryl Streep portrayed her very well in The Iron Lady .

http://www.imdb.co.uk/title/tt1007029/
    Except this is a myth.

+1. I know plenty of working class people who stood up to Gerry Adams , and who emigrated to England in the 1980's and who got work there and were treated fairly and well there.?

Does the magic work when you've typed it out the thousandth time?
    Shame on Gerry Adams, but then again what do you expect from a pig but a grunt?

Coming from a UDR fanboy, I find this somewhat amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

Not gonna shed a tear Maggie made a lot of people cry
    bitch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Old_-_School

I was raised with the morals that you should only say good things about the dead so on that note:

Maggie Thatcher is dead. Good.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Royal82

“It is with great sadness that Mark and Carol Thatcher announced that their mother, Baroness Thatcher, died peacefully following a stroke this morning"

So I wasnt the only only hoping that it was a long horrible death......

The world is a better place without the auld boot anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

I wish I were in Scotland the now. Jelly and ice-cream, Bucky and eccies, Glasgow will give her the send off she deserves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

So Mrs Thatcher rot in hell.

Why were those people in Gibraltar?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

Anynama141 wrote: »
    So why did they make this huge concession of allowing a foreign country have a say in the governance of part of the UK? Thatcher was suddenly concerned with appearances? :pac:

Your 'analysis' doesn't really stand up, does it?
    I was a young man at the time and can remember it well but doubtless you'll go on trying to kid yourself that Thatcher and the Brit govt had a benevolent streak when it cames to nationalist Ireland. The expediency of trying to defeat the IRA and it's political wing Sinn Fein was the driving force, not the supposed silver tongue of Sir Garret who was only a useful idiot for the British.

awec wrote: »
    Except this is a myth.

Yep, the way a vast amount of the wealth of Britain is concentrated in the services industry in the South East is an illusion.

gallag wrote: »
    Why were those people in Gibraltar?

The Brits? They grabbed it years ago.

So you hate the woman partly because she destroyed the livelihoods of genuine, hard-working people in the northwest who, as a result of her policies, had no job to get up to in the morning?

And you're lucky enough to have a job in a recession yourself and you're going to take the day off because an old, sick woman passed away?

The irony is amazing but let me just suggest that the miners, steelworkers and mill workers you speak of would drag their ass out of bed and go to work tomorrow regardless of who has died.

First off, there's no luck in it. I'm good at my job and never struggle for work.

I will be taking a day of paid leave, which i am entitled to. I will be one of thousands of English men and women doing the same thing. I will be remembering my neighbour who left two young children as he couldn't bear the thought of not being able to support them. I will remember my best friend's mother who had a heart attack after being laid off because of Thatcherite policy.

What does it have to do with you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Anynama141

I was a young man at the time and can remember it well but doubtless you'll go on trying to kid yourself that Thatcher and the Brit govt had a benevolent streak when it cames to nationalist Ireland. The expediency of trying to defeat the IRA and it's political wing Sinn Fein was the driving force, not the supposed silver tongue of Sir Garret who was only a useful idiot for the British.
    Um...so why did they make concessions to the Fitzgerald government again? You aren't making any sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

Gatling wrote: »
    They were fecking terrorist's and got exactly what they deserved

So was Nelson Mandela according to Thatcher's Tories

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement