Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maggie Thatcher dead - Mega merge thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Nodin wrote: »
    No, I was referring to you and your "innocent soldiers".

So what exactly do soldiers in Gib have to do with the IRA getting NI back?

Or the killing of children in Warrington? Or pub bombings of civilians in Birmingham and Guildford?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

long overdue- good riddance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Anynama141

Seachmall wrote: »
    Technically you shouldn't be killing unarmed people, combatants or not.
    They were not in uniform. Technically they could be shot as spies. I hope that they were going to check whether all those that they were going to blow up were armed combatants. And adults.

War is hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

All I know about Maggie is that I wasn't allowed to mention her name while I was up in Belfast.

I drunkenly said she was a legend and I deservedly got a lovely black eye

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Her politics might not have been to my liking but i did wonder what the likes of Thatcher would make of the likes to the criminal and dissident republican gangs who seem to be now ruling cities in Ireland and what measures she would take to weed them out because in fairness id say she would come down on them like an absolute ton of bricks.

You don't live in a city, do you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

summerskin wrote: »
    So what exactly do soldiers in Gib have to do with the IRA getting NI back?

O, I'm sorry. I didn't realise those soldiers weren't in the British army.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Funeral arrangements.... :D

The fact that something had to be done and that certain industries had to be dealt with is beyond dispute. However there were more solutions possible than Thatchers.
    Such as...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Anynama141 wrote: »
    They were not in uniform. Technically they could be shot as spies.
    Pretty sure that's not true.
    War is hell.
    Are you now condoning the bombings?

Such as...

Phased closure and retraining like they did in France.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Frankie Boyle on fire on twitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

P.Walnuts wrote: »

shame about the "on twitter" part

Pretty sure that's not true.
    I'm pretty sure it is. Check out the Geneva and Hague Conventions.
    Are you now condoning the bombings?
    Hey, I'm opposed to all war. But the Shinners/IRA were in favour of the war, so why don't they condone the shootings of the spies? :confused:

You can't say that no-warning bombs are ok because it's war and then say that shootings of spies are wrong at the same time, can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Why? Wouldn't be more humane to beg the Americans to nuke us?

i dont see any point here.

P.Walnuts wrote: »

"Finally I get to wear my black suit and tap shoes together"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Three Seasons

I don't know too much about Thatcher but after reading about her on wiki she seems like a smart woman who implemented a lot of sound economic policies.

What are people's major gripe with her?

Excuse my ignorance as I only just read about her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Her politics might not have been to my liking but i did wonder what the likes of Thatcher would make of the likes to the criminal and dissident republican gangs who seem to be now ruling cities in Ireland and what measures she would take to weed them out because in fairness id say she would come down on them like an absolute ton of bricks.

Though in that case many might argue that the cure would be worse then the disease and that she abused her power during her tenure in Downing Street.

I think its the case that drugs gangs have a hold on cities across the country,striking fear into people with murders,whilst ruining communities with their poison.

All the while with little or no repercussions.

Phased closure and retraining like they did in France.
    And you think the unions would have gone along with that? They were a bit militant you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

The Iron Lady is dead.
    Rust in peace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

again, if the above were fact and not myth, she got re-elected to PM twice and served 3 terms. If a large % of the country hated her, that would not have happened (regardless of weak opposition parties).
    Thatcher loved the world stage but the large % of people of the north west and north east of England who saw their factory's and industry close and saw their livelihoods disappear overnight won't weep for her .

• Advertisement

I don't know too much about Thatcher but after reading about her on wiki she seems like a smart woman who implemented a lot of sound economic policies.

What are people's major gripe with her?

Excuse my ignorance as I only just read about her.

You're taking the piss. Propping up Apartheid, the anti-gay laws, taking sanctions off pinochet, cheer leader for Reagan

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ACE10

Margaret thatcher will not be cremated she is not for burning.

I think its the case that drugs gangs have a hold on cities across the country,striking fear into people with murders,whilst ruining communities with their poison.

All the while with little or no repercussions.
    To be fair, the Real IRA do try to discourage them with economic incentives, taxing their income.

And you think the unions would have gone along with that? They were a bit militant you know.

If its possible to ram through a shutdown with little thought to the medium and long term, why isn't it possible to ram through a phased closure that would at least have the support of some or most of the workforce?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

summerskin wrote: »
    shame about the "on twitter" part

Commiserations for having no sense of humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

To be fair, the Real IRA do try to discourage them with economic incentives, taxing their income.

I'm not talkin about the rira,I'm talkin about drug gangs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

she can go and fcuking rot, b1tch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

most of the people who think this is good news have no idea why. She was less right wing than most western governments are today.

The Iron Angel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Wet myself reading this

Have to say, it really is a terrible shame that Margaret Thatcher died in her home this morning.

Instead of in a Brighton Hotel 30 years ago.

• Advertisement

If its possible to ram through a shutdown with little thought to the medium and long term, why isn't it possible to ram through a phased closure that would at least have the support of some or most of the workforce?
    Presumably if they thought it was possible, they would have tried it. Unless you think she just did evil for the sake of it, I suppose. I suspect both of us would have to do rather a lot of reading to argue this on any sort of firm foundation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement